[THS] - Minotaur Lord in Theros

So I figured there was going to be Minotaurs in the upcoming Theros set... but now that I've seen teh recent Minotaur Zombie spoiler in M14 I'm pretty much certain minotaurs are going to be a big deal in the next set. A full-fledged tribe with a Lord and everything. Probably even a legendary.

This card is pretty weird. Why a minotaur?? Because there are going to be hella cool minotaurs in the next set!!

Did anyone else notice there are 5 minotaurs in RTR block?? Coincidence? Heck no. Thumbs Up
    I do recall in some article a while back a race that someone had a soft spot for at WOTC was going to return in bulk. Why not Minotaurs.
    Playing since 1994. Competing since 2004.
    How you should approach every game of Magic.
    Mod Helpdesk
    My Flawless Score MCC Card | My Other One | # Three!
    Quote from Dire Wombat
    Don't worry Pseudofate, we still love you. No state-based action will ever cause you to become unattached from our hearts.

Quote from S1yDevi1
    Not gonna lie, this made me go half chub.

Quote from DeftJackal
    Lol, only the limited forum would have a thread saying to be nicer to the trolls.
    There was a Boros minotaur in the first Ravnica block (Ordruun Commando), so I'm hardly surprised that there are Boros minotaurs in RtR block. Admittedly, there are more of them than there were in original Ravnica.

The only things we really know about Theros is that it's going to be vaguely Greek/Roman themed, and the Minotaur was originally a Greek Myth. So it would definitely make sense if Minotaurs were a big deal in Theros.

Also, someone just asked MaRo if Minotaur tribal would ever return, and he spoke positively that it "could".

As for whether Minotaurs get the full tribal treatment with lords and etc, that's really going to depend. Blocks without a tribal focus tend to have only a few tribal elements (there's a few Kor and Vampire tribal effects in Zendikar, for example). Given that Innistrad was just Tribal, it's not likely that Theros will be as well. So I wouldn't hold my breath.
    My Moderator Helpdesk
    Currently Playing:
    Legacy: Something U/W Controlish
    EDH Cube
    Hypercube! A New EDH Deck Every Week(ish)!
    Quote from Wildfire393
    There was a Boros minotaur in the first Ravnica block (Ordruun Commando), so I'm hardly surprised that there are Boros minotaurs in RtR block. Admittedly, there are more of them than there were in original Ravnica.

The only things we really know about Theros is that it's going to be vaguely Greek/Roman themed, and the Minotaur was originally a Greek Myth. So it would definitely make sense if Minotaurs were a big deal in Theros.

Also, someone just asked MaRo if Minotaur tribal would ever return, and he spoke positively that it "could".

As for whether Minotaurs get the full tribal treatment with lords and etc, that's really going to depend. Blocks without a tribal focus tend to have only a few tribal elements (there's a few Kor and Vampire tribal effects in Zendikar, for example). Given that Innistrad was just Tribal, it's not likely that Theros will be as well. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

Tribal was only a secondary theme in Innistrad block however, with plenty of creatures that didn't belong to any of the five big tribes in the sets. The primary theme of the block was Horror.
    The last truly tribal set we had was Llorwyn/Shadowmoor.

Thus, it is quite possible that Theros block will have some tribal elements, but they won't be the focus of the block.
    It's about time for the reserved list to die, for the sake of Vintage and Legacy (And Commander).

- Feed the Wyrm, Evolve or Die.

- Never stand in the way of evolution, you'll just get trampled. Grin
    I prefer the approach that Innistrad had; having tribal as a minor theme can still lead to competitive decks (Just ask humans and zombies) while allowing for options that aren't nearly as linear.
    Love is in the airThe wedding is over. Now it's time for the honeymoon.Love is in the air

Thanks to Rivenor of Miraculous Recovery Signatures!
    MaRo made a comment on his blog about Minotaurs right before GTC was released with the best Minotaur ever printed. A day or two ago, somebody asked again about more Minotaurs and a lord for them, and he listed it as a possibility. That in itself doesn't mean anything, but the choice of questions he answers in regard to certain tribes and cards has been indicative before. That plus the presumed Mediterranean flavor for the next block are good signs.
    I want a Minotaur lord with "Whenever a Minotaur enters the battlefield, flip a coin. If you win, all Minotaurs get +1/+1 counters" Grin
    I think it's more likely to be gorgons who appear in bulk myself, but perhaps both will
    Having a Minotaur lord will surely be very popular with the casual crowd, hope we will get them.
    Quote from izzetmage
    If the store owner says that I can't trade in the premises, I'll just go outside. If he says that I can't trade within 10m of his premises, I'll go to 11 meters. If he says that he doesn't want to see me trading, I will put a basket over his head and continue trading.

Quote from Stinky-Dinkins

Yes, he's a local legend. He's only known to take his clothes off before he goes into the Ladies' Lockerroom. Nobody knows what he does in there because he's invisible, but it's almost certainly tons of masturbating.
    I have been predicting Minotaur tribal to my friends ever since Theros was announced. Greek themed set with a bunch of Minotaur printed right before it seems like a pretty good indication.
    Yeah, also having RTR end with a set with MAZE int he title is a nice way to have Interblock Synergy and Minotaurs. I mean greek heroes fighting things called Maze Behemoth works out pretty well, even if it isn't aminotaur.
    I hope this is true. Better get me some Boros Reckoners!
    Quote from krishnath
    Tribal was only a secondary theme in Innistrad block however, with plenty of creatures that didn't belong to any of the five big tribes in the sets. The primary theme of the block was Horror.
    The last truly tribal set we had was Llorwyn/Shadowmoor.

Thus, it is quite possible that Theros block will have some tribal elements, but they won't be the focus of the block.

I was searching for a quote from Maro about how they would make tribal more like Innistrad and less like Lorwyn in the future (I found it here,) but I also found another very interesting post:
    http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/33288659837/if-innistrad-follow-some-steps-from-kamigawa-that
    mandramas asked: If Innistrad follow some steps from Kamigawa, that means that you are "repeating" three blocks in a row? Should we wait that Friends is a "spiritual sucessor" of Lorwyn?
    You’re going to have to work pretty hard to connect Friends to Lorwyn.

Apparently, Theros has very little in common with Lorwyn. At this point, I wouldn't even expect tribal to be a sub-theme. That doesn't mean there won't be a minotaur lord, but it doesn't look likely.
    Quote from Tackman
    I was searching for a quote from Maro about how they would make tribal more like Innistrad and less like Lorwyn in the future (I found it here,) but I also found another very interesting post:
    http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/33288659837/if-innistrad-follow-some-steps-from-kamigawa-that

Apparently, Theros has very little in common with Lorwyn. At this point, I wouldn't even expect tribal to be a sub-theme. That doesn't mean there won't be a minotaur lord, but it doesn't look likely.

Llorwyn had Tribal as it's main focus, thus the massive lack of creatures who did not belong to the tribes. Shadowmoor shifted the focus to monocolor (but you wouldn't notice it due to massive number of hybrid cards in the set), while still maintaining a stong tribal component.

What MaRo said is not the same as the set will not have a tribal or monocolor component, just that it won't be the focus of the set.
    It's about time for the reserved list to die, for the sake of Vintage and Legacy (And Commander).

- Feed the Wyrm, Evolve or Die.

- Never stand in the way of evolution, you'll just get trampled. Grin
    I reckon you're right.

For constructed it'll be hard to make Minotaur Aggro work unless they start printing baby minotaurs. Out of the 34 minotaur creature cards total in Magic's history one of them costs one mana and two of them cost two mana, the rest are 3 cmc and above. In any case, minotaurs are sweet.

I'm now hoping for a Hurloon Minotaur, the original minotaur, reprint. You can't beat old school minotaur artwork. (see: Anaba Ancestor, Anaba Spirit Crafter, Labyrinth Minotaur, Talruum Champion)
    Check out some sweet tunes. J_Ruth's latest tune is "Morphling" and, yes, it's named after the classic Morphling.
    I knew it.
    There setting us up for a didgeridoo reprint.
    IF Theros ends up being a Greek Mythos inspired set you can be certain that Minotaurs will show up
    Quote from krishnath
    Llorwyn had Tribal as it's main focus, thus the massive lack of creatures who did not belong to the tribes. Shadowmoor shifted the focus to monocolor (but you wouldn't notice it due to massive number of hybrid cards in the set), while still maintaining a stong tribal component.

What MaRo said is not the same as the set will not have a tribal or monocolor component, just that it won't be the focus of the set.

He said that we would have a hard time finding similarities between Theros and Lorwyn. I doubt he would have said that if Lorwyn's main theme appeared in Theros, even if toned down.
    Seems likely to be honest, even as just a one-card lord. Hopefully there is a legend so I can make a Minotaur EDH deck without Zedruu as the general; he doesn't work with any deck not specifically built around donating stuff.

My own belief is that each block should have tribal support built in for the tribe it focuses on. Myr, Kavu, Rebel, Ally, and ect. While certain tribes such as Myr or Kavu are difficult to reuse outside of their main block because of lore reasons. There comes to mind certain tribes such as Werewolves that do not require as much upkeep as say a Myr does to be found on any plane.

With that said, it seems that minor tribes such as Illusions are being pushed in the core sets. With the minor sets that show a small tour de force still leaves the possibility and the likelihood of a Minotaur lord, because:

1. There exists no Minotaur lord
    2. Minotaurs have a long history in Magic
    3. Minotaurs are popular outside of Magic
    4. Minotaurs have mechanical linkages to Theros and the Mediterranean

There have been times in non tribal blocks that have introduced lords, especially one offs like the Kavu. Doesn't make Kavu suck any less, but it means that we will get a lord. I just hope we see a new Minotaur legend that covers multiple colors to act as the Commander.

I do wish they would get in the habit of creating:

1. Lord for X block tribe
    2. Commander for X block tribe

This would make theme decks easier to build around for casual and Commander.

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Individualities may form communities, but it is institutions alone that can create a nation.

Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success.

Here is my principle: Taxes shall be levied according to ability to pay. That is the only American principle.

Quote from TheLameSauce
    I knew it.
    There setting us up for a didgeridoo reprint.

With Boros Battleshaper and Minotaur Aggressor in the mix, I kind of doubt it. Seems a bit too good, especially if you could make it work with counterspells. "End of turn, pay 3 to drop a 5/5 that controls how you attack and block, okay?"

Also, see here. Like Ancestral Recall and Dwarven Pony, Didgeridoo is on the reserved list. Frown
    Last edited by Incanur: 5/9/2013 5:13:06 PM
    I'd love to have more minotaurs, they're sweet
    Level 1 Judge.
    It would be neat to see some small tribal component relating to some unusual creature types. I wouldn't mind if Theros relates similarly like Innistrad with instead of a Horror Set with a tribal minor it could be a Mythology set with a tribal minor.

I do find it somewhat intriguing that:
    The last Commander Product contained a Minotaur, Centaur, and Gorgon Legend
    RTR Block contains at least one of a Minotaur, Centaur and Gorgon
    Greek Mythology has stories containing Minotaurs, Centaurs and Gorgons

Although, they're not going to be easy to color code as Centaurs are in allied colors while Centaurs and Gorgons are in enemy colors.
    Quote from Pseudofate
    I do recall in some article a while back a race that someone had a soft spot for at WOTC was going to return in bulk. Why not Minotaurs.

Another Race that is coming back apparently is the slivers, which show up in D14 as well as this cow man zombie.

But so long as we go back to having tribal again I wouldn't mind something fresh. The only issue is that most Minotaurs are heavy costed so if there is something like a lord for them I hope it is a mana cost reducing one.
    Quote from jonnybgood23
    For constructed it'll be hard to make Minotaur Aggro work unless they start printing baby minotaurs. Out of the 34 minotaur creature cards total in Magic's history one of them costs one mana and two of them cost two mana, the rest are 3 cmc and above. In any case, minotaurs are sweet.

I don't see them making a minotaur lord be for aggro, rather for control or tempo if you look at all of the neat abilities minotaurs have had in R, W & U.
    Consider being nice to your fellow gamers.

Nobody cares if you "called it" on a card or mechanic. Seriously. "Humblebrags" are the epitome of lame.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes