Theros, Born of the Gods, Journey into Nix

So, is there any information that we know regarding the Friends-Romans-Countrymen block? If I am not mistaken this just came from PAX East, but nothing official that I know of. Thoughts?
    All i was able to find was a Dutch forum: http://www.bazaarofmagic.nl/forum/magic-nieuws/thr-therosborn-from-godsjourney-into-nix-ti-3212.html?page=100
    interesting so the block is called 'Theros'

and the first two sets are :

Born of the Gods

and then Journey into Nyx

defiantely sounds like a mix of roman/greek setting maybe with some arena based combat, half god champions, maybe the second set is a journey into the underworld
    I think its funny that the 3-letter codes for them are THE BFG JIN
    Rakdos Rakdos Cultist Rakdos

Legacy
    BBB Pox BBB
    RRR Burn RRR

Modern
    XXX Affinity for Artifacts XXX

Standard
    what?

Stevemachine for giving me all his RRR cards so I could get into competitive Burn

Philipp R. for mentoring me in Affinity

Team Mafia: Der Don vergisst nie (seinen Trigger)!

You guys rock!
    Quote from johnnybegood
    interesting so the block is called 'Theros'

and the first two sets are :

Born of the Gods

and then Journey into Nyx

defiantely sounds like a mix of roman/greek setting maybe with some arena based combat, half god champions, maybe the second set is a journey into the underworld

This is a little wrong. The first set should be Theros, the second one Born of the Gods and the third set Journey to Nyx.
    In the underworld point I agree since Nyx sounds a lot like Styx.
    The dragon is a perfect marriage of power and the will to use it.
    Quote from SarkhanVol
    This is a little wrong. The first set should be Theros, the second one Born of the Gods and the third set Journey to Nyx.

Isn't it Born from Gods?
    Rakdos Rakdos Cultist Rakdos

Legacy
    BBB Pox BBB
    RRR Burn RRR

Modern
    XXX Affinity for Artifacts XXX

Standard
    what?

Stevemachine for giving me all his RRR cards so I could get into competitive Burn

Philipp R. for mentoring me in Affinity

Team Mafia: Der Don vergisst nie (seinen Trigger)!

You guys rock!
    This came up a while back in the speculation forum when someone found the Journey into Nyx copyright, but Nyx is the Greek goddess/personification of night. I imagine they were going to call the set Journey into Darkness and then trailers for the new Star Trek movie started coming out...
    A good thread in Speculation about it:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=485661

-Theros means 'Summer' in Greek
    -Krond the Dawn-Clad and Vela the Night-Clad, of Planechase 2012, are probably from this world (Krond is pretty 'summery', Vela is very Nyx)
    -Legends theme seems likely ("Born of the Gods", so many legends in RTR block esp with 10 in Dragon's Maze now, Greek heroes)
    -Enchantment theme seems likely (Krond the Dawn-Clad's mechanics and Planechase deck, plus mythical curses and such and whole turning world into day/night thing; more Aura/enchantment stuff in RTR block than usual)
    -There's several "Artists of Magic" playmats from this year that seem related (if not necessarily going to be card arts). Artemis, Nyx Greek Goddess. A bunch of Alayna Lemmer's stuff looks like it could be at least concepts or inspirations for this block's art (and it looks amazing!)
    - For confirmed official art, see this seriously awesome piece revealed at PAX
    Last edited by SarumanTheChef: 3/23/2013 5:11:51 PM
    Quote from Skellett »
    A giant goat man bursting out of a woods has about 100 less badass points than bursting out of a mountain.

Quote from Skullum »
    that's not what happened at all. kamahl stabbed phage, akroma, and some old lady and they became korona. then korona got stabbed by her "prophets" and kamahl got drunk with a mutant centaur
    Quote from SarumanTheChef

-Krond the Dawn-Clad and Vela the Night-Clad, of Planechase 2012, are probably from this world (Krond is pretty 'summery', Vela is very Nyx)
    -Legends theme seems likely ("Born of the Gods", so many legends in RTR block esp with 10 in Dragon's Maze now, Greek heroes)
    -Enchantment theme seems likely (Krond the Dawn-Clad's mechanics and Planechase deck, plus mythical curses and such and whole turning world into day/night thing; more Aura/enchantment stuff in RTR block than usual)
    -There's several "Artists of Magic" playmats from this year that seem related (if not necessarily going to be card arts). Artemis, Nyx Greek Goddess. A bunch of Alayna Lemmer's stuff looks like it could be at least concepts or inspirations for this block's art (and it looks amazing!)

Very interesting Info, although most of the playmat art doesn't seem to be real card artwork
    Quote from SarkhanVol

Nyx was the Greek goddess of the night.

Are you sure you know what "likely" means? We have nowhere near enough evidence to make anything likely at this point, the specifics of Krond and Vela's abilities aren't "likely" to be relevant (the reprinting of a Legendary creature in an Expert level expansion is unprecedented), and they last time they did a Legend-based block with a deity-based name it was rather unpopular.
    Quote from johnnybegood

Willow Satyr reprint?

I think there are actually some possible plants for Tribal in Ravnica.

An abundancy of Soldiers: 24 Soldiers in just 2 sets compared to 9 in the whole Innistrad Block!

Some quite rare Creature types: Dryads with Dryad Militant, Trostani, Selesnya's Voice and even the Selesnya Guildmage Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage

Cyclops! Borborygmos Enraged

M14 could also give some hint of whats coming. Another Quirion Dryad or Hamletback Goliath reprint? Have an eye on creatrues types. Even DGM could give more insight!
    Quote from Vividice
    Willow Satyr reprint?

I think there are actually some possible plants for Tribal in Ravnica.

An abundancy of Soldiers: 24 Soldiers in just 2 sets compared to 9 in the whole Innistrad Block!

Some quite rare Creature types: Dryads with Dryad Militant, Trostani, Selesnya's Voice and even the Selesnya Guildmage Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage

Cyclops! Borborygmos Enraged

M14 could also give some hint of whats coming. Another Quirion Dryad or Hamletback Goliath reprint? Have an eye on creatrues types. Even DGM could give more insight!

Those can hardly be called plants because they already were in original Ravnica.
    Multi
    G Patron of the Orochi
    GU Vorel of the Hull Clade
    WBR Tariel, Reckoner of Souls
    R Fumiko the Lowblood
    GUR Maelstrom Wanderer
    GWUBR Sliver Overlord
    UBR Mishra, Artificer Prodigy
    R Joven
    WU Bruna, Light of Alabaster

Theme
    GUWBR Reaper King - Scarecrows
    GW Krond the Dawn-Clad - Scales
    U Sakashima the Impostor - Masks
    WGURB Karona, False God - Beauties
    UB Ramirez DePietro - Pirates
    URG Riku of Two Reflections - Steampunk Amberground
    Yeah, those look very Greek-mythology-esque. I hope it's more like the entire Hellenistic world, so we get some cool Egyptian myth stuff too.
    Do I Contradict Myself?
    Very Well Then I Contradict Myself.
    Quote from TobyornotToby
    Those can hardly be called plants because they already were in original Ravnica.

The others are just rarities liek I said. And there is nothiong strictly dictating which cards and creature types they reprint.

To word it a little better: I think there is a reason for the large number of soldier creatures. There tend to be some greek-mythological creature types as well. It's quite likely to see some of these in Theros-block, so maybe we see some tribal support for dryads or otehr tribes?
    We also have a fair bit of minothaurs. Blue might get sphinxes
    Huey, Dewey and Louie are always dressed in RUG. it is CLEARLY going to be the wedges block

Standard BR Cows BG rock
    Modern WR Scepter U Ninja G Elves W Kithkins GNix Wave
    Commander WR Gisela WGR Marath GRB Prossh
    Cool- guess the code names actually kinda synced for once.

(and yes, I know this is likely just coincidence)

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    Wonder if we will see quest cards again in this set. I'm really excited about what mechanic would return in this new set.

Also, I wants my tribal.
    I want the Argonauts and the golden fleece.
    Red has a lot of types that fit really well. Minotaurs, cerebruses, chimeras, harpies...
    This is exciting me so much for a couple reasons:

1. Could be similar to a 300, God of War, Gladiator, Wrath of the Titans, and Immortals badass-ness level and theme (Pleease).

2. "Born of the Gods" is now my favorite set name ever.

3. The could print more titans and/or make titan a creature type.

4. A theme also full of olympians, minotaurs, harpies, gorgons, erynes, hoplites, centaurs, satyrs, cerberi, hydra, chimera, etc? =D

5. So cliche, but it is my all time fav. cliche. It alone could make it my favorite block and theme ever and beat out Ravnica even if the cards suck.

6. Thinking about it just makes me wanna rip the crap out of everyone's cards in a fury, fight some gods, climb a titan's massive face I completely demolished and elope with 5 topless greco-wenches before I destroy them too.

Some speculation: I hope it is a tri color / multicolor set like Alara but based on the 5 tricolors we have never fully covered yet like Red/White/Blue.

RoblinTheGoblin's Pro M15 Template:

RoblinTheGoblin's Pro M15 Template v1.2

So does this mean we finally get Kiora to, you know...
    RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!

(sound of Barinellos incoming at warp speed)

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    Quote from TobyornotToby

Well... you could call the dryads plants pretty easily.

As for the block itself, I seriously doubt it'll have a multicolor theme. They just did heavy multicolor with RTR and they learned from going Lorwyn -> Alara that they have to let multicolor lie fallow or people get sick of it.
    new equipment: sword of damocles Wink

And I would like to play a card with the name pythagorean theorem.

And a legendary mountain named Olympus.

Too bad it's not just based on Greek mythology, but I would some references to the existing world.

I was afraid they were going to visit Kamigawa again. Good they found some new setting.
    Quote from zombiepete
    Well... you could call the dryads plants pretty easily.

XD

I don't think we'll see a lot of tribal, though---we just had Innistrad as a tribal block.
    Quote from Skellett »
    A giant goat man bursting out of a woods has about 100 less badass points than bursting out of a mountain.

Quote from Skullum »
    that's not what happened at all. kamahl stabbed phage, akroma, and some old lady and they became korona. then korona got stabbed by her "prophets" and kamahl got drunk with a mutant centaur
    XD

I don't think we'll see a lot of tribal, though---we just had Innistrad as a tribal block.

Innistrad was NOT a tribal block. It had a tribal sub-theme.

And who knows, Minotaur Tribal might be just around the corner.
    Oh well i guess it could've been worst...
    Im looking forward to see how the Planeswalkers would look like ... any toughts of that subject guys?
    Playing Now:

Debt to Deathless WUB
    Azorius Walkers WU
    Bruna's Conscription WU

My Trade/Sell Webpage:
    http://magictrader.weebly.com/
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes