Chandra in M14 might be.... good?

Quote from krishnath
    The second and third abilities do not belong on a Pyromancer, something that Chandra is.

The second ability could work on Koth, but not on chandra, and the last is essentially a Wheel of Fortune, which would make more sense on a walker with luck-based abilities.

Well, Chandra has a Land Destruction card, or at least she's quoted on it: Craterize. She isn't just a Pyromancer, she's one of the strongest pyromancers out there after, especially she absorbed the Purify Flame, which is also why Ablaze had a mini Reforge the Soul on her.
    Quote from ikbuh
    Well, Chandra has a Land Destruction card, or at least she's quoted on it: Craterize. She isn't just a Pyromancer, she's one of the strongest pyromancers out there after, especially she absorbed the Purify Flame, which is also why Ablaze had a mini Reforge the Soul on her.

Pillage is more than just Land Destruction though.

Chandra has always had quite strong ultimates, she has just also always been saddled with a casting cost that has made her unreasonably expensive for most red decks in standard/modern.
    As such I'd fully expect her ultimate to be either direct damage related, or give your an emblem that copies all instants and sorceries you cast.
    It's about time for the reserved list to die, for the sake of Vintage and Legacy (And Commander).

- Feed the Wyrm, Evolve or Die.

- Never stand in the way of evolution, you'll just get trampled. Grin
    /trollface on

CHANDRA? GOOD? OMG I QUIT MAGIC, RED SUCKS, AND ALWAYS WILL SUCK

/TROLLFACE OFF
    Nice to see chandra get some new life. If she is anything like the chandra that was faked when they were spoiling m(12/13?), it will be good. although, chandra in her previous version (yes i'm talking standard here) sucks. so lets hope they revamp her.
    Quote from History
    Chancellor of the Forge
    Start with a hasty Goblin
    Swamp
    Mutagenic Growth
    Mutagenic Growth
    Mutagenic Growth
    Mutagenic Growth
    Tainted Strike

Also works in Standard.

Collecting Bonehoard
    Current Regular: 24
    Current Foil: 3
    Japanese: 1
    Quote from Tatekei
    /trollface on

/TROLLFACE OFF
    Nice to see chandra get some new life. If she is anything like the chandra that was faked when they were spoiling m(12/13?), it will be good. although, chandra in her previous version (yes i'm talking standard here) sucks. so lets hope they revamp her.

They do not suck, they are however costed in such a way that they are useless in standard/modern. However in more casual formats such as commander, she is quite good.
    It's about time for the reserved list to die, for the sake of Vintage and Legacy (And Commander).

Quote from Tatekei
    /trollface on

/TROLLFACE OFF

Chandra the firebrand isn't bad, I played her in my modern Jund and won me games by letting me copy Blighting and dreadbore.
    But in a low instant/sorcery decks she isn't as solid.

But I seriously doubt wizards is going to print a good Chandra, that can be played in Top tier decks. Which Is disappointing since Chandra is my favorite planeswalker in terms of flavor and lore.

Maybe If we are lucky we get a 3 cost chandra who's a mix of tibalt, jace beleren and lilliana.

Chandra beleren of the veil fiend blooded.1RR
    Loyalty 3
    +1 both players draw a card then discard a card. ( at random Wink )
    -2 deal 4 damage to target creature
    -6 burn the **** out of target opponent

Decks i'm currently playing:
    Standard decks:
    Competitive Boros aggro RW
    Valroz Jund GRB

Modern decks:
    Budget jund control RGB
    GR tron ( not yet finished) GR

Commander:
    Aurelia, the Warleader RW
    Chandra the firebrand isn't bad, I played her in my modern Jund and won me games by letting me copy Blighting and dreadbore.
    But in a low instant/sorcery decks she isn't as solid.

But I seriously doubt wizards is going to print a good Chandra, that can be played in Top tier decks. Which Is disappointing since Chandra is my favorite planeswalker in terms of flavor and lore.

Maybe If we are lucky we get a 3 cost chandra who's a mix of tibalt, jace beleren and lilliana.

Chandra beleren of the veil fiend blooded.1RR
    Loyalty 3
    +1 both players draw a card then discard a card. ( at random Wink )
    -2 deal 4 damage to target creature
    -6 burn the **** out of target opponent

Other than the first ability (seriously, random card draw on a pyromancer? Really?) sounds pretty reasonable.

I love Chandra...but Im torn on how she could be. I love playing UR and with a new Chandra, ONTOP of another Jace plus Architect of Thought AND Ral Zarek...I dunno how Im going to be able to play all these Walkers...but anyway...

My Dream Chandra right now...

Chandra, Youthful Flame 1RR
    +1: Pillar of Flame
    -2: Desperate Ravings
    -6: Get an emblem that says "Gisela, Blade of Goldnight"
    Loyalty: 3
    Returning Magic: The Gathering Player
    1998-1999 X 2001-2003 X 2008 X 2012-Present

Standard Decks
    Saint Traft Control UWR
    Perfect Mill UB

Modern Decks
    Eternal Command RUG
    Second Breakfast UW
    Chandra Pryomancer 1RR

+1 Look at the top card of your library if it is an instant or sorcery you may reveal it and cast it
    -3 add R mana to your mana pool equal to the number of instant and sourcies in your graveyard.
    -5 you get an emblem "whenever you cast an instant and sorercy you may copy it, you may choose new target for those copies

Starting loyalty 3

Still don't think its good enough but it is on theme... I think... as much as I think rituals are Koths thing it is based on instants and sorceries.

her second ability is a bit Chandra abazy... but having her +1 synergies with it would mean redoing abilities that have already been done.
    Standard, Budget:
    UBR URB control.

Modern, Budget:
    GBW Melria Pod (no fetch)
    R Mono red storm

Casual:
    RGB Jund Dragons
    UGrand Architech
    WR Tempered steel
    BG wild defiance Infect.

EDH
    GB Glissa, the traitor
    UWIsperia, Supereme Judge
    UWGDerevi, Empyrial Tactician
    Quote from Narvuntien
    Chandra Pryomancer 1RR

+1 Look at the top card of your library if it is an instant or sorcery you may reveal it and cast it
    -3 add R mana to your mana pool equal to the number of instant and sourcies in your graveyard.
    -5 you get an emblem "whenever you cast an instant and sorercy you may copy it, you may choose new target for those copies

Starting loyalty 3

Still don't think its good enough but it is on theme... I think... as much as I think rituals are Koths thing it is based on instants and sorceries.

her second ability is a bit Chandra abazy... but having her +1 synergies with it would mean redoing abilities that have already been done.

her -3: change for Pyroclasm and she would be good enough for make a 4 in maindeck
    about Kalonian Hydra
    Quote from Georg51
    Then you have to make a fool of yourself by suggesting that I would ever lose to you playing this soon-to-be junk Mythic.
    Chandra, Princess of Ash 2RR
    4 Loyalty

[+1] Put a 3/1 red Elemental creature token with trample and haste onto the battlefield.
    [-2] Chandra, Princess of Ash deals X damage divided as you choose amongst any number of target creatures and/or players where X is her loyalty.
    [-7] Exile all non token permanents.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Tiamat, Chromatic Dragon RWUBG
    Planeswalker - Tiamat

[+1] Sit on Nicol Bolas
    [+0] Wait for him to beg for mercy, rule the multiverse.
    [-7] Not necessary, she is the ultimate.
    Quote from SicksEyeUrn
    Chandra, Princess of Ash 2RR
    4 Loyalty

[+1] Put a 3/1 red Elemental creature token with trample and haste onto the battlefield.
    [-2] Chandra, Princess of Ash deals X damage divided as you choose amongst any number of target creatures and/or players where X is her loyalty.
    [-7] Exile all non token permanents.

Exile all notoken permanents not only isn't red, but its essentially Gideon, Champion of Justice's Ult
    Quote from PetersPonders
    Exile all notoken permanents not only isn't red, but its essentially Gideon, Champion of Justice's Ult

Worldfire
    Apocalypse

I just removed the drawback and made it interact a little better with the +1.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Tiamat, Chromatic Dragon RWUBG
    Planeswalker - Tiamat

[+1] Sit on Nicol Bolas
    [+0] Wait for him to beg for mercy, rule the multiverse.
    [-7] Not necessary, she is the ultimate.
    Is it possible to have a ritual effect in red? For example:

1RR
    +1: Until the beginning of your next upkeep, Chandra deals 1 point of damage to any creature attacking you or a planeswalker you control.
    -2: Add RRR to your mana pool.
    -6: You get the emblem, "Whenever a red instant or socery deals damage to an opponent, draw a card"
    Starting Loyalty 3

I'm sure the ultimate is way off base, but what are people's thoughts on the +1 and -2?
    Quote from trancekat
    Is it possible to have a ritual effect in red? For example:

1RR
    +1: Until the beginning of your next upkeep, Chandra deals 1 point of damage to any creature attacking you or a planeswalker you control.
    -2: Add RRR to your mana pool.
    -6: You get the emblem, "Whenever a red instant or socery deals damage to an opponent, draw a card"
    Starting Loyalty 3

I'm sure the ultimate is way off base, but what are people's thoughts on the +1 and -2?

Of course it's possible, just look at Koth of the Hammer.
    i really wonder if theres any connection between Chandra & all those R Elemental-Tokens here from M14. ReallY hope she will have.
    Quote from Juju
    Of course it's possible, just look at Koth of the Hammer.

Good point. I'd like to think that my propossed Chandra would be a bit more flexible, allowed for play outside of mono R.
    I don't want to see chandra at 4cmc, because that is one super clogged 4 drop sport for UR. I think most people want to see a 3 mana Red Liliana of the Veil. I would. Well maybe not THAT good...not 200$ foil good.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a Chandra with four abilities. Maro has said JTMS won't stop them doing it again, and they're probably going to really want to push this Chandra. Not saying it will happen, but it's a definite possibility.
    Quote from IotaNull
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a Chandra with four abilities. Maro has said JTMS won't stop them doing it again, and they're probably going to really want to push this Chandra. Not saying it will happen, but it's a definite possibility.

Let me try on this:

Chandra, the Competitive

1RR 3 Loyality

+1 Chandra deals 1 damage to each opponent or 2 damage to target creature

0 Draw a card then discard a card.

-2 Put two R 1/1 Elemental Creature-tokens into play.

-5 Destroy 3 target lands.
    Last edited by EasyLover: 5/26/2013 9:57:03 AM
    How about as a +1: whenever a red source you control deals damage this turn it deals one aditional damage.
    Combine this with a cheap minus ability that gives 2 or more tokens and i think a red aggro deck could be a bit happier about her
    Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
    The +1s are too powerful if you want her to be a 3 cost. Lily's +1 is like that because it is supposed to be a drawback. People work around it to make it work, but the ability isn't spectacular by itself.
    How about

Chandra, the cheesy name planeswalker. 1RR
    +1: draw a card, then discard a card.
    -2: deal 2 damage divided among any number of creatures and/or planeswalkers.
    -4: Destroy up to 2 Target lands.
    Loyalty 3

U/R Tempo TwinU/R
    a turn 4 destoy 2 lands is also a bit strong.
    Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
    True. Perhaps -6 would be more ideal, but blowing up 3 lands as stated before

U/R Tempo TwinU/R
    For Chandra to be both good and appealing, she needs to fulfill two very simple purposes:

-Apply immediate pressure. All the previous Chandra versions saw marginal play, yet Koth was played due to actually doing what you want in a red deck - Killing your opponent. Nalaar was way too slow, Ablaze cost too much and Firebrand, while having a cute duplicate ability, was also too slow. Assuming she survives for ~3 turns, you really want a 4CC card to do more than 3 damage.

-Deal damage. This is a signature of Chandra, and the key in any red deck. If Chandra is any good for dealing damage, whether it be to creatures or players, she will have a chance at being played due to either dealing with threats or racing your opponent.

In short, she needs to contribute to winning the game. Getting high-cost removal or slow ticking damage like the previous versions doesn't work, as we've seen already.

Allow me to jump on the bandwagon:

1RR
    [+1] ~ deals 2 damage to target player.
    [-1] Put a 2/2 red creature token with flying and haste onto the battlefield.
    [-4] ~ deals 4 damage to each opponent and each creature that player controls.
    (2)

+1 Is sorta like a Vortex - You don't take damage from it, but then again, she can still be killed, and even stopped before getting the ability off.
    As a red mage, you don't want the game to drag out too long, which is why the ultimate is actually within reach, in comparison to most others. Might up the cost to 5 if it deems too powerful.
    The token is her Phoenix, of course. It could be replaced by a 3/1 elemental, if it's too strong, or could even be a -2.
    Quote from WoodWraith
    They left out the part where Yawgmoth is resurrected,but has been cleansed as Yawgmoth the Redeemed,and now must awaken Chromium so that Karn can fuse with him and create what can only be known as : the ultimate taco.
    I think that hey first 2 abilities are too powerful for 3, the older chandras costed more and dealt less Dmg. However I think that nerfing the +1 to just 1dmg and the -1 to a 2/1 haster with no flying would make her fair and powerful enough.

U/R Tempo TwinU/R
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes