Chandra in M14 might be.... good?

I really she is good
    Laboratory Maniac Kills: 106 and counting OMG
    maybe her +1 ability will be shockingly good Cool
    on using non-basic LD:

Quote from Dechs Kaison
    Anything that can cause a ragequit is the right tool for the job.
    well it's been known that chandra will be leading a set. whether it'd be good or not, we'd just have to wait.

i still believe tibalt is just waiting to get broken. there's no way it went thru R&D and intentionally make him poo.
    One can only hope. I'd like Red to have a more solid Planeswalker showing.
    Considering that there's actually a lot of monored planeswalkers, and the strongest is Koth of the Hammer, it can't be hard to screw this up.
    Good Chandra? Blasphemy! Smile

Seriously though, if R&D aims to finally make a good Chandra - as it's indicated by Maro posts, - I hope they can push her a bit and finally do it.
    she would be more popular if her name was Jaya Ballard. which in turn would push her abilities, like they did with Jace.

main problem with Chandra is she isn't as important to the storyline compared to Jace, Garruk and Liliana, or even Sorin and Ajani. Thus there's no impetus to push her card. Would she finally get to shine? Maybe. But in another core set? Which as you know, is relatively unimportant to the story compared to the expansion sets.
    Ablaze and Firebrand are good at what they do, being fringe sideboard cards. But I really want an Elspeth, Knight Errant/Garruk Wildspeaker level Chandra, a card that, without being broken, plays so extremely well with her color that you just love to include her anytime you can.

RRR
    +1 Shock
    0 Wild Guess
    -6 One sided Sulfuric Vortex emblem.
    3 Loyalty

Would be this burn mage's dream.
    Yes sir, I take fantasy art and character design commissions, PM me for rates.
    My hopes are low.
    Chandra cards are bad. She has never been popular... i don't get this approach to the marketing. Ditch the bitch. she had her chances
    Playing:

EDH:
    Niv-Mizzet

Legacy:
    The Rack

Modern
    Venser, the Sojourner Control
    They want to make her good?

Give her a +1 ability that is Incinerate, a -2 Pyroclasm, and an ultimate that is a Flame Wave against all your opponents.
    It's about time for the reserved list to die, for the sake of Vintage and Legacy (And Commander).

- Feed the Wyrm, Evolve or Die.

- Never stand in the way of evolution, you'll just get trampled. Grin
    People honestly believe they'll get a Shock, or rather Assault, each turn while adding loyalty?

I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed, at least not on a walker with CMC
    Quote from Stroggoii
    Ablaze and Firebrand are good at what they do, being fringe sideboard cards. But I really want an Elspeth, Knight Errant/Garruk Wildspeaker level Chandra, a card that, without being broken, plays so extremely well with her color that you just love to include her anytime you can.

RRR
    +1 Shock
    0 Wild Guess
    -6 One sided Sulfuric Vortex emblem.
    3 Loyalty

Would be this burn mage's dream.

Wild Guess as the zero ability would be too good. JTMS-esque good. Like Liliana of the Veil, the plus loyalty ability should be card advantage, while the minus 'utility' ability should remove a creature. Perhaps even Lightning Bolt over Shock, to offset the downside of having to choose between casting her or your prime removal/sligh creature spell.

So rather:

+1: Draw a card, then discard a card.
    -2: Shock/Bolt
    -X: Ultimate
    Quote from Shambleshark
    Wild Guess as the zero ability would be too good. JTMS-esque good. Like Liliana of the Veil, the plus loyalty ability should be card advantage, while the minus 'utility' ability should remove a creature. Perhaps even Lightning Bolt over Shock, to offset the downside of having to choose between casting her or your prime removal/sligh creature spell.

So rather:

For Chandra to be good, and keeping in line with her personality and what she actually is (a pyromancer) her +1/+2 ability needs to be some form of removal. Her second ability needs to be useful, but not powerful. While her ultimate needs to mimic a major red damage dealer such as Flame Wave (on all opponents preferably) or Wildfire, alternately an emblem that boosts your burn spells in some way.
    It's about time for the reserved list to die, for the sake of Vintage and Legacy (And Commander).

- Feed the Wyrm, Evolve or Die.

- Never stand in the way of evolution, you'll just get trampled. Grin
    Quote from Shambleshark

So rather:

So basically you want the new Chandra to be a card that's unplayable? We're owed a good/broken red planeswalker after all the crap cards they've given us over the years!

If you're so insistent on her + ability being some form of looting, then it should be:

+: Draw a card, then discard a card. If you discard a red spell then you may deal 2 damage to any creature or player.
    -: Target instant/sorcery in your graveyard has flashback
    Ultimate: All instants and sorceries in your graveyard have flashback 0
    It would be good if Chandra also made an apearance in Theros and be a story pillar. Maybe that's what Wizard wants to do. As for her being better, it would only mean one more chandra to put into my mono red deck that runs Chandra Nalaar twice in the mainboard.

Casual magic player.
    Decks:
    Elvish army: Mono Green duel, 100 cards.
    Myr emporium: White blue black duel, 88 cards.
    Grixis colored: Blue Black Red multiplayer, 60 cards.
    Artifact: All colors multiplayer, 71 cards.

Yeah, I know you will say I go overboard with the number of cards in my decks and I don't care.
    It would be heavens if she got a Desperate ravings effect on her card. only that she discards first, as the red looting is made.

Edit: Without the random part of course.
    the only way chandra will be good is if her plus ability is a flame slash and her minus ability is a lightning bolt.
    may with an ulimate emblem of double damage done by instants and sorceries.
    chandra will never loot or ravings because that is not what pyromancers do so stop asking for it. in order for her to be pushed her loyalty and plus minus amounts would have to worked out along with her casting cost.

Posted from MTGsalvation.com App for Android
    Chandra really isn't bad at all. I think some of you just have high standards. That. Or you're just overly spoiled. Chandra Nalaar is one of the best red Walkers, if not THE best. Either way. Chandra has never been horrible, she just didn't have a place in established tournament decks, and as we all know, that is what MTG revolves around, right?

Right?!

Why not brew a deck instead and see for yourself how good the Chandra's are?

- Hiss.

- - - Thank you Ace5301! >>> Visit Ace5301's shop if you desire a signature of your own. - - -

Quote from Mr. Hiss
    Chandra really isn't bad at all. I think some of you just have high standards. That. Or you're just overly spoiled. Chandra Nalaar is one of the best red Walkers, if not THE best. Either way. Chandra has never been horrible, she just didn't have a place in established tournament decks, and as we all know, that is what MTG revolves around, right?

Right?!

- Hiss.

Really? Koth of the Hammer is better than any version of Chandra, and he barely gets played anymore.
    Quote from Mr. Hiss

Right?!

- Hiss.

Really now? Chandra isn't that bad?

Okay then, name me a legacy or modern deck that can reliably cast any of the Chandra's and make good use of her. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a while for a response.
    We know it's an objective of theirs: WotC wants to make a good Chandra

The Firebrand was a step in the right direction

Honestly I think the original Chandra Nalaar was pretty damn close: make her cost 4 instead 5, start with 5 loyalty instead of 6, change her first ability to target creature player rather than just player and I think she's constructed playable; maybe not "good" but definitely not bad.
    The problem is that it's still worse than the worst blue planeswalker and still one of the more useless planeswalkers out there.
    WoTC clearly has an unfair love with Blue, and after all of the Red walkers, who although good in their own ways, never made an impact, they owe us a brutal Red walker. Not a good one. A really pushed one.

It's sad to see all of the other colors get decent walkers, and red to remain the only one without. This is the last chance they have. No more excuses like "It's not the time", "we need to find a design space" or "we can't do X". I really don't care. A lot of us are sick and tired of their bad excuses. We love this game, and it needs to go forward. Not back.
    Honestly I think the original Chandra Nalaar was pretty damn close: make her cost 4 instead 5, start with 5 loyalty instead of 6, change her first ability to target creature player rather than just player and I think she's constructed playable; maybe not "good" but definitely not bad.

I agree. Liliana of the Veil was a "pushed" design too, they purposely tried to make it powerful because she was a central figure to the Innistrad story and her original version was rather underwhelming. So that is about the power level I would expect of a new Chandra. A good to very good planeswalker, but not one broken in half.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes