the banning of beck // call in modern.

You're telling me that you're already talking about the banning of a card that hasn't seen the hands of actual players yet?

No.
    SHANDALAR
    A Custom Core Set
    ---NAZURA---
    A Custom African-Themed Set
    ~THE RAVNICAN CONSORTIUM~
    A Community Set
    Commander: Allies & Adversaries
    Announcing VANGUARD
    A Custom Set

Quote from Drax
    A MAN CAN DREAM AND GET HIS SIMPLE MATHEMATICS WRONG.

Quote from jonnybgood23
    Pillarfield Ox? The legend returns.

Quote from TheWarden
    You had me at "Camel Shaman."

Proxied this up today, worked really well, played Craterhoof turn 3 one game. A resolved Beck//Call was just stupidly powerful, the card's strong.

4 Beck//Call
    4 Intruder Alarm
    4 Scryb Ranger
    4 Elvish Visionary
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Heritage Druid
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Elvish Archdruid
    2 Joraga Warcaller 
    2 Craterhoof Behemoth
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Breeding Pool
    1 Overgrown Tomb
    7 Forest
    Last edited by swculve: 4/9/2013 1:32:35 AM
    Ahh yes. The overreaction to card spoilers. It happens every season, like clockwork.

Remember when people were talking about Temporal Mastery being banned? It's happening all over again.
    It is a little more expensive, which is always important.
    Quote from bokchoy
    Ahh yes. The overreaction to card spoilers. It happens every season, like clockwork.

Remember when people were talking about Temporal Mastery being banned? It's happening all over again.

Here's the thing, glimpse was banned before it could even be a deck. While this probably won't get banned, it's certainly makes elf combo a very strong deck. If not for the fact that the current modern meta is so removal heavy, this would easily be a tier 1 deck. Even as it stands now though, this may well make it's way to the 1.5 tier. They won't ban this card either, if the deck became too degenerate, they will just ban heritage druid.

It can goldfish out on t3 like 1/3 the time and on t4 like 1/2 the time. It's very fast and this just makes it consistent. We'll see.
    EDH magic is best magic
    Edric | Skithiryx | Merieke | Talrand

--------------------------

Well except for pauper EDH
    Garruk's Packleader | Inkfathom Witch | Gelectrode | Sigil Captain | Glider Barin | Sludge Strider | Paragon of the Ameshsa
    Maybe the reason Glimpse was banned in the first place was that they knew this one was coming.
    Quote from "DarthQueeg" »
    I shuffle by cutting the heads off of reptiles and watching the patterns of blood on a flat marble surface.

Then, based on the patterns as determined by Roklar, the Lizard Lord, praise be to His name, I shuffle accordingly.

Quote from HandwrittenHero
    Dies to removal is like the bus that could run you over tomorrow. You'd want to have made the most of your life in that case.
    Whoever says Affintiy can't make UG in modern on Turn one hasn't played the deck... I've made 1WW with Affnity on turn 1 with 0 drop creatures still in my hand... Don't underestimate the power of affinity... I think i'm going to adopt this as a 4 of to replace thoughtcast for me.

U/B mana [W]FREE STONEFORGE MYSTIC and JACE THE MINDSCULPTOR[/W] U/B mana

Quote from Mr.C
    "Spirit of the reserved list". What a load of BS. Rolleyes

Having a complete collection of Drake Tsui cards is like having a complete collection of STDs.

Please Visit my Alterations Page!

My Alters Sales Thread

Want a FREE Playset of Foil Baneslayer Angels?!?:
    Spell Snare. that is all.

Modern:
    :symu::symw::symr: UWr Geist :symr::symw::symu:

EDH:
    :symb::symb::symr::symr: Rakdos, Lord of Riots :symr::symr::symb::symb:
    Quote from erebus91
    Spell Snare. that is all.

If I cast both spells on the card, can you snare it?
    Quote from Kryptnyt

That there is a good question... I imagine it would be addressed somewhere in the rules for the existing split cards.

Modern:
    :symu::symw::symr: UWr Geist :symr::symw::symu:

EDH:
    :symb::symb::symr::symr: Rakdos, Lord of Riots :symr::symr::symb::symb:
    I assume that they tested the card also for Modern, especially when Modern Masters is coming up soon. So, probably it will be good, but not bannable.

Quote from erebus91
    That there is a good question... I imagine it would be addressed somewhere in the rules for the existing split cards.

708.2. In every zone except the stack, split cards have two sets of characteristics and two converted mana costs. As long as a split card is a spell on the stack, only the characteristics of the half being cast exist. The other half’s characteristics are treated as though they didn’t exist.
    What I understand from this is that when it is on the stack it can be snared. However, for this both spells need to enter the stack separately (and I think that is the case for the fused cards).

EDIT: no, I don't think a snare works
    Quote from rules forum »
    Any time you could cast a split card with fuse, you can choose one half and cast it, just like any other split card. And if you're casting it from your hand (as you usually are), you have the additional option to cast both halves as a single spell by paying their combined cost. Instructions on the left half are processed first, then the instructions on the right, and targets for the two halves are chosen separately.
    Last edited by pizzap: 4/9/2013 5:44:07 AM
    Doesn't Goyf satisfy you any longer?
    Do you want more value for your 1G?
    Get your Bosk Bannerets today!

Modern Shamanism Primer
    Quote from Kryptnyt

No. The CMC of a fused Beck//Call is 8.
    EDH: U Ultimus U ۰ B Geth B ۰ G Kamahl G ۰ W/U manaIsperia W/U mana ۰ B/R manaOliviaB/R mana ۰ R/W manaJor KadeenR/W mana ۰ W/B mana U/B manaSydriW/B mana U/B mana ۰ W/G mana B/G manaGhaveW/G mana B/G mana
    Standard: W/R Aggro
    As EDH player i'm worried about the edh banlist. Don't know if they will ban beck//Call or just ban Deadeye Navigator Frown
    Quote from Ixidior
    As EDH player i'm worried about the edh banlist. Don't know if they will ban beck//Call or just ban Deadeye Navigator Frown

Sheldon has said he doesn't consider Deadeye a problem, probably because Sheldon rarely considers combo to be a problem.
    EDH: U Ultimus U ۰ B Geth B ۰ G Kamahl G ۰ W/U manaIsperia W/U mana ۰ B/R manaOliviaB/R mana ۰ R/W manaJor KadeenR/W mana ۰ W/B mana U/B manaSydriW/B mana U/B mana ۰ W/G mana B/G manaGhaveW/G mana B/G mana
    Standard: W/R Aggro
    If i cast Inquisition of Kozilek and see Beck//Call, can i take it?
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, ends our 'new information' section of the presentation. If you'll all come this way, we can begin the 'complain about the new information' section.

on brian kibler not bloodrushing a Ghor-Clan Rampager on a 5/5 Scavenging Ooze against a 5/3 and a 3/3: "he kept ghor clan in hand so he would have 2 cards to shuffle."
    Quote from robertds413
    If i cast Inquisition of Kozilek and see Beck//Call, can i take it?

Yes you can, the converted mana cost of split cards gets tricky but when it comes down to it the card is both cmc 2 and cmc 6, so you can get it with inquisition of kozilek
    Level 1 Judge.

Currently playing
    Competitive.
    Modern:UWRSplinter TwinUWR

EDH:
    URMelek, Izzet ParagonUR
    BWGGhave, Guuru of sporesBWG

Good thing I have book burning.
    Quote from Serpos of Urug
    No. The CMC of a fused Beck//Call is 8.

We don't know this, and this is a speculative answer. It is also feasible that its CMC is simultaneously 2 and 6. Until the CR comes out, this is unknown.

While it is true that the cost to cast the fused spell is 4GWUU, that does not mean with certainty that it will be considered to have CMC 8.

While it is plausible to believe this, unless you have the CR definition of Fuse (and I don't), it is an unproven statement.
    Level 2 Judge Smile
    Went to a new shop from a friend's recommendation, DQ'ed for willful violation of CR 100.6b.

(Credit to DarkNightCavalier)

$tandard: Too poor.
    Modern:
    - GW/B mana Melira Pod
    Legacy:
    - GW Enchantress
    - UWR Pyrodelver
    Quote from Drifting Skies

We don't know this, and this is a speculative answer. It is also feasible that its CMC is simultaneously 2 and 6. Until the CR comes out, this is unknown.

While it is true that the cost to cast the fused spell is 4GWUU, that does not mean with certainty that it will be considered to have CMC 8.

While it is plausible to believe this, unless you have the CR definition of Fuse (and I don't), it is an unproven statement.

Matt Tabak (rules manager) actually confirmed this in a tweet yesterday. Don't have it handy right now, and tweets can be wrong, but it's most likely correct.
    Quote from Serpos of Urug
    Sheldon has said he doesn't consider Deadeye a problem, probably because Sheldon rarely considers combo to be a problem.

I hope you're right =(
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes