Magic 20th Anniversary Celebration

What does everyone think Wizards will do for Magic's 20th anniversary milestone? Anyone care to speculate whether we will see a new card face design? Will we see some great final battle with Nicol Bolas in the storyline? Wizards has to do something for this anniversary. What will it be?
    My guess would be Tarmogoyph in M14 and\or other power reprints not on the reserve list at least something tied into M14.
    I believe WotC will reprint a lot of good things in M14 that will link back to the great mtg days of lore, without breaking standard. (i.e. Onslaught Fetchlands, Force of Will, Lightning Bolt, Wasteland)

Yes those cards are high, as are my dreams about them being reprinted, but they have to do something to make the core set more "worth it" to the higher level players. M13 was one of the least opened sets in my area in forever. There is just no real value unless you pull Thragtusk/Sublime.
    Super broken reprints at common and uncommon

Brainstorm, Dark Ritual, Lightning etc at 1 mana commons

Regrowth, Demonic Tutor, Price of Progress etc at 2 mana uncommons

Grin
    I don't think they'll do this, but I want them to do the same thing they did with 8th edition:
    For 8th edition and the 10th anniversary of Magic, the core set included at least one card from each expansion that had never been reprinted, hence Rukh Egg 10th anniversary promo. Will they do that again? Unlikely. But nothing would make me happier.

Wizards could put $100 bills in packs and people would complain about how they were folded.

http://www.twitter.com/Dr_Jeebus - Follow me on Twitter!
    Check out www.mtgbrodeals.com for daily content from the brothers of Mu Tau Gamma!
    FTV: Reserved List.
    New Un set.
    DD: Sorin vs Tibalt.
    MTG: The Movie.
    MTG game for Wii (Weight Watchers collaboration: you have to physically cast your spells).
    Reprint of Commander's Arsenal to screw over everyone who overpaid for the original one.
    MTG: The Movie in 3D.

And one of these may actually be serious.
    "If the earth must lose that great portion of its pleasantness which it owes to things that the unlimited increase of wealth and population would extirpate from it, for the mere purpose of enabling it to support a larger, but not a happier or better population, I sincerely hope, for the sake of posterity, that they will be content to be stationary long before necessity compels them to it."
    - John Stuart Mill, 1857
    Tarmogoyf, Dark Confidant, Goblin Piledriver, Snapcaster Mage and Stoneforge Mystic reprints, alongside Counterspell, Force of Will, Brainstorm, all 10 fetchlands, all 10 Alpha dual lands, Morphling, Jace the Mind Sculptor and ATOG.
    Don't just have an idea -

Have all of them.

Join us on Cardgame Coalition!
    Quote from CDDRodrigo
    Tarmogoyf, Dark Confidant, Goblin Piledriver, Snapcaster Mage and Stoneforge Mystic reprints, alongside Counterspell, Force of Will, Brainstorm, all 10 fetchlands, all 10 Beta dual lands, Morphling, Jace the Mind Sculptor and ATOG.

~Nitpick Advisory~ No offence intended CDD, Alpha only had 9 duals. Volcanic Island IIRC was left out.

I hope they return the Core Set to the way it used to be: Large set with staples and decent support cards rather than Titanic bombs and limited fodder.
    Urza & Serra planeswalkers!
    "blah blah they're dead, continuity blah whine."
    Quote from Mad Mat
    FTV: Reserved List.
    New Un set.
    DD: Sorin vs Tibalt.
    MTG: The Movie.
    MTG game for Wii (Weight Watchers collaboration: you have to physically cast your spells).
    Reprint of Commander's Arsenal to screw over everyone who overpaid for the original one.
    MTG: The Movie in 3D.

And one of these may actually be serious.

By the time they could do this, Wii U would be current gen. Wii U's is a bit more focused on showing off the tablet rather than the remotes and any peripherals.

I hope they return the Core Set to the way it used to be: Large set with staples and decent support cards rather than Titanic bombs and limited fodder.

Didn't we just see the 5 titans, lightning bolt, we now have planeswalkers, noticeable favorites like mutilate, fog and unsummon, standard beasts like thragtusk, one of the best cycles of dual lands outside of fetch and shocklands,

and what's fodder? For the little creatures, we had reassembling skeleton, phantasmal image, vampire nocturnus, chandra's phoenix, still have birds, etc.

I think we're doing good in core sets.

RoblinTheGoblin's Pro M15 Template:

RoblinTheGoblin's Pro M15 Template v1.2

Quote from Tim_Seraphim
    Urza & Serra planeswalkers!
    "blah blah they're dead, continuity blah whine."

Funnily enough this is the only thing i read in this thread sofar that would actually be plausible.
    Printing planeswalker-urza in m14 would be a great homage to mtg and would be possible without too much hassle (since coresets don't follow story/plane design). Also it's one of the most anticipated Pw's ever, since the card type was introduced in lorwyn.
    Quote from Yawg
    Very poor choice, a completely unplayable card... even in irrelevant casual formats. Suckage continues...

Quote from ilovesaprolings

New ravnica isn't a city. it's a weird zoo

"I went outside once... the graphics were alright, but the gameplay sucked!"
    Quote from Darksequence
    Funnily enough this is the only thing i read in this thread sofar that would actually be plausible.
    Printing planeswalker-urza in m14 would be a great homage to mtg and would be possible without too much hassle (since coresets don't follow story/plane design). Also it's one of the most anticipated Pw's ever, since the card type was introduced in lorwyn.

the only problem with urza is that he is an oldwalker, so its abilities would be like:
    +3: remove up to ten target permanents from the play
    -2: win the game
    -8: kick your opponents in the face, then win the game
    starting loyalty: 100

an interesting thing they could do is a cycle of legendary iconic creature from the magic past, like squee and teferi, showing through cards what happened them from the last time we have seen them
    Modern:  red mana  Red Brigades (Goblin) - blue mana black mana red mana  Cruel Control
    EDH: black mana green mana  Varolz, the Scar-Striped
    They'll do the same thing they do every year. They might have a special event or something but they aren't going to ruin standard with crazy reprints like brainstorm, dark ritual, or the fetchlands [especially not with shocks in the same format.]

Quote me if you like but I'm 99% sure everyone making wild predictions is going to be disappointed.
    Quote from The Big Dunks

It turns out that the melting ice caps aren't the cause of the rising ocean levels, it's OP's river of tears.

I support the closure of the Gutter.
    Most likely some reprints people have been asking for, full art lands, special events, or some other random things.

Let the 20th anniversary be the end of the reserved list, most likely not happening, but why not theorize something crazy?
    Quote from Darksequence

I agree that Urza is an iconic Planeswalker worthy of a card, as is Serra.
    Quote from Ratinyourwalls
    Quote me if you like but I'm 99% sure everyone making wild predictions is going to be disappointed.

But most predictions in a vacuum tend not to happen, unless it has a very specific basis on some sort of philosophy (e.g. Shocklands in RTR, because of the need of Modern reprints).

Most people here get their predictions wrong because some are wishes (and to be honest, I'd love Voidslime and Lightning Helix, but you won't see me posting that it should be reprinted, because this isn't about to happen just because I want it) and we, infortunately, do not think like the Wizards guys. Sometimes they are obliged not to print something because of the ambient of formats, because the reserved list (I was not registered in the forums yet, but I'm fairly sure everyone here remembers the mayhem until the list of FTV: Realms came, that lots of unaware people said that Tabernacle was a must on the edition), because it doesn't follow flavor, the mind when the card was made was another, the color pie suffered changes, random yadda yadda that MaRo will mention in State of Design and give reasons, etcetera.

If you really want to create spectations on the next set, keep your mind ready to get something really weak, so then you won't be disappointed (I'm quite sure I've read this somewhere else).

(Give your LGS judge a hug. He deserves it.)

Nothing. All I want is Heroes vs. Monsters spoilers.
    Full art basics would be awesome, but I think that they would be considered too 'complex' for a core set. Rolleyes
    M14 will include every card ever printed, regardless of the reserved list. This includes Splendid Genesis; Richard Garfield, PHD; Mana Drain; and even Storm Crow.
    I'm surprised that nobody's said it yet, but...new card frame.

8th did it at 10 years, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see M14 do it for the 20th.

If they do, I'm hoping for something along the lines of the colorshifted cards. Easier on the eyes and a bit more "magical" feeling, without sacrificing the cleaned up frame.
    Death Vish | High on Crackblade | Ooze the Boss | Long Live the King | Fomori Face Fister
    Brunal Legend | Hazezon First | Cirrhosis of the Sliver | Animar Planet | The Joy of Pain-ting
    Quote from Sigismond0
    I'm surprised that nobody's said it yet, but...new card frame.

8th did it at 10 years, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see M14 do it for the 20th.

If they do, I'm hoping for something along the lines of the colorshifted cards. Easier on the eyes and a bit more "magical" feeling, without sacrificing the cleaned up frame.

Maro has stated that the current frame is here to stay because its so fuctional. Plus, they don't want to mess up modern's ease of identity.

Originally Posted by Negatorator >
    Red's new color pie feature is that it doesn't do anything.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see something along the lines of From the Vault: 20, featuring one card from each year of Magic's life (with the 20th being a preview card, natch). That'd be a nice way to celebrate, I think, as the kind of people that are interested in FTV are also the kind who'd care about Magic finishing its second decade.
    I'm not going to argue against the people hoping for reprints of Force of Will and the like.

I am going to tell you that if, in some weird coincidence that they did reprint FOW and similar legacy staples... They would have to preban them from modern.
    Quote from Nikoa
    Full art basics would be awesome, but I think that they would be considered too 'complex' for a core set. Rolleyes

Oh that is so true. I wish RTR had full art basics, have you seen the art for lands in RTR? The islands are so amazing...

My prediction: WotC fails hard and reprints all the cards on the reserved list that NO ONE cares about.
    "Yawgmoth," Freyalise whispered as she set the bomb, "now you will pay for your treachery."

-Freyalise

Currently Playing:
    Legacy:
    UBWRGAll manner of storm comboGRWBU
    Dark Ritual on The Source and Storm Boards
    Notable finishes:
    Top 16 SCG Kansas City Legacy Open 2012 with Burning ANT
    Top 32 SCG Minneapolis Legacy Open 2012 with Burning ANT
    Remember those little doohickey lifecounters from 15th anniversary? I think something like that would be cool, a little promotional item that's nifty and functional.

I imagine Modern Masters will have some sort of branding on it as "part of Magic's 20th anniversary" or somesuch.

I'd love next year's block to be a return to Dominaria, but I *highly* doubt the likelihood.

Quote from kalkris
    I am kind of amazed at [...] the fact that somebody on this thread called Mind's Eye, Mirari's Wake, Decree of Pain, Desertion, AND Scroll Rack, all before they were officially spoiled. I will edit this post VERY shortly with the username of this user who deserves at least all of the cookies. Probably more cookies than that.

EDIT: Robert, you win so many cookies.
    My guess for the 20th anniversary celebration: more of the same. A core set with largely jank, and a block of sets with...mostly jank. It's all about limited, baby.
    What are the BEST card sleeves for MTG? http://youtu.be/w-aAeIZSNWw
    How To Keep Your FOIL Cards From Curling: http://youtu.be/QTmubrS8VnI
    The Best Deck Boxes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEwgLph_Pjk
    The Best Binders: http://youtu.be/H5IauASYWjk
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes