Article from Japan, purported spoilers

No clue as to the accuracy of this, but I am posting for info:-

http://blog.livedoor.jp/usafox1100/archives/51353804.html

Blightwind Gust
    2BBG
    Sorcery (Rare)
    Choose one - Destroy all artifacts; or destroy all creatures; or destroy all enchantments.

Scalp
    B
    Sorcery (Uncommon)
    Target player discards a card. If you have contract with Rakdos, that player loses 2 life.
    Contract with Rakdos BR (You may reveal this card from your hand and pay its contract cost to contract with Rakdos. Contract only as a sorcery.)

Spinewhip Punisher
    4B
    Creature - Zombie (Common)
    First strike
    As long as you have contract with Rakdos, Spinewhip Punisher has "Sacrifice a creature: Put a +1/+1 counter on Spinewhip Punisher."
    Contract with Rakdos BR (You may reveal this card from your hand and pay its contract cost to contract with Rakdos. Contract only as a sorcery.)
    3/3

Selectrician
    2UR
    Creature - Human Wizard (Rare)
    2:Counter target spell you controll. Selectrician deals X damage to target player, where X is that spell's converted mana cost.
    2/3

Jace, Adviser to the Firemind UR
    Planeswalker - Jace (Mythic Rare)
    +2: Put a card from your hand on top of your library.
    0: Look at target player's hand.
    -7: You get an emblem with "Whenever you draw a card, Jace, Adviser to the Firemind deals 2 damage to target creature or player."
    Loyalty: 1

They look sort of plausible, especially the contract mechanic (given Krenko's backstory), I wonder if anyone else has better info?

Quote from Arcadic
    Given that this blog has never had any spoilers, the poster admits to being drunk AND the fact he links to our spoiler in his blog, i am moving this to speculation until more evidence supports the cards.
    Last edited by Arcadic: 8/12/2012 11:02:40 AM
    Jace seems Uberbad. And for a multicolorcord that seems weird. Also the emblem seems weird. So WEIRD.
    Contract would be cool though.
    Yeah Jace seems shocking. A 2 mana planeswalker worse than Tibalt? We've fallen a long way since Worldwake.

Unless of course he has some kind of nuts interaction with the Izzet mechanic.

EDIT: Miracles *slaps forehead*
    "Contract with Rakdos" seems like a very bad name for a keyword. All abilities are designed to have a possibility of reusing it in the future, and that really can't be used anywhere but in a third Ravnica. There hasn't ever been a keyword with a specific name like that.
    "Your laws, like your bones, were made to be broken."
    Are you crazy that jace is absolutely insane.
    Jace's +2 seems good with miracles....and his emblem seems good. Pop it and you have no more than ten turns (barring Lifegain.) to win.

Jace SHOULD be unbanned in modern. I hate all the people saying "JACE IS BROKEN OHMYGOD HE'LL TAKE OVER AND CAWBLADE WILL REIGN SUPREME AGAIN" when bloodbraid elf literally comes down after jace and kicks jace right in the crotch, takes jace's lunch money, and jace is left to bleed out on the sidewalk in agonizing pain.

EDH
    Well, whenever there are good fakes around, there is allways a lot of discussion.

Given the source, this is nothing but gossip (not yet rumors) but nice to see one possible future for magic

I really like the contract mechanic, though it sort of reminds me mildly about forecast. But this is a real bomb mechanic, the way rakdos like it. Synergy is amplified when multiplied, you need only push for one contract each turn, but might get multiple benefits.

As for Jace. (or what's his (getting tired of his)face) Abilites seems plausible, especially the first one where he sacrifice options for power, and his ultimate is a nod over to Niv-Mizzet whom he shares a nice picture with.

All in all, could be a bright doom ahead of us!
    IN a Flash!
    I'm going to say no.
    IF this is true, Jace's 1st ability is a perfect miracle enabler, second ability is meh, third is too hard to achieve... meh walker, unless there are some awesome izzet spells that helps him

edit: ooh well, jace + temporal mastery = time walk, so probably it's not that bad :p
    On the Internet you can be anything you want.
    It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid...
    My very quick guess is that "contract" is not unique to Rakdos. We now have a world of wheeler dealers forever running errands between guilds that are very uneasy with each other.

Assuming these cards aren't total baloney that is.

EDIT: As in you could have contract with several guilds at one time, that would make limited play quite interesting, as you would have to decide whether to play a card straight off, or wait until you have contract.
    Last edited by PiMan: 8/12/2012 5:45:46 AM
    I'm not sure but I thought the new mechanics were supposed to work well with the old guild mechanics, so how does Hellbent work well with contract? If anything contract seems to make hellbent harder to enable...or maybe I'm not understanding the mechanic.
    CASUAL
    green manaGarruk's Predatorsgreen mana
    black manaLiliana's Corruptionblack mana

NOW YOU'VE LET OUT THE BEAST!!!
    Quote from Madding
    I'm going to say no.

I think it is the same site that spoiled jarad from the duel deck. So its not out of the question that these are real but the mechanics of rakdos just seem weird and badly wordly
    Duel Deck master Since 2009
    Decks used- GGarruk vs LilianaB, WElsepth vs TezzeretU, WGKnights vs DragonsR
    WGRAjani vs BolasRUB, WUVenser vs KothR, RUIzzet vs GolgariGB.
    WBSorin vs TibaltBR, WRHeros vs Monsters RG

Want to see other duel decks I made ? Check out my Blog ! Feel free to post advice or give topics for me to make duel decks out of, like Seasons Quad Deck Part 2
    Quote from emeraldhero
    I'm not sure but I thought the new mechanics were supposed to work well with the old guild mechanics, so how does Hellbent work well with contract? If anything contract seems to make hellbent harder to enable...or maybe I'm not understanding the mechanic.

Maybe when you reveal the card - it stays revealed? You put it next to your lands or something and can cast it anytime you can normally cast a spell from your hand.
    So contract seems to work like a different timed kicker?
    Yeah, I noticed that and yeah that's really awkward. It's also not how emblems have ever worked in the past.

So could be bogus. Could also be a bad translation.
    Well, if they are fakes, someone put a lot of thought into designing them. I really want Blightwind Gust to be real. Selectrician seems bizarre enough that it looks like it could be a real card.

If that is the new Jace, I don't know how I feel about it. All he really does is make Miracles more ridiculous, but if you have none, he doesn't really do anything. And I can't really see how that Emblem could work with the way it's worded..

Trades
    Buy/Sale List

I COLLECT FOIL DRAGONS. CHECK MY TRADE LIST. Grin

(Signature courtesy of Argetlam of Hakai Studios
    I love Blightwind Gust if it's real.

Jace is cute with miracles, but you are hurting yourself pretty bad to just play something like Thunderous Wrath or Reforge the Soul. Thought with Reforge that's sick as hell.
    The card i wish to be true the Most is blightwind gust. Seems very good and very black/green and very Golgari to me.
    The rest of the cards all seem very weird
    Contract with Rakdos makes little sense as a Rakdos mechanic. It doesn't play particularly well with any of the existing Rakdos cards. It actually plays *worse,* since it requires you to keep at least one card in your hand to make a contract and turn on your other cards' abilities.

Jace has nothing to do with the Izzet, as people keep seeming to think he does purely on the basis of him and Niv-Mizzet appearing next to one another on the RTR packaging/promo image. Jace has his own organization he's running, unconnected to any guild. And if he had joined the Izzet since we last saw him, his appearance and clothing would have changed to reflect it, just like Gideon's has.

These are certainly not real.
    I doubt it's real just because of how awful the jace would be when jace and mirracles are no longer in the same cycle. But if it were real such a powerful miracle enabler is very good if built around. Not to mention urza's glasses isn't that bad.
    'Contract' might not be that weird a mechanic for Rakdos (and I'm guessing that we're getting a bit of clumsy 'lost in translation' wording going on there anyway)...

On the assumption that it's essentially "pay RB to turn all of your contract powers 'on' for the rest of your turn", it fits nicely into the Hellbent type theme of having everything on your side freak-out simultaneously (the "one big turn" that Maro talked about back in Red's Time Sprial days).

In a sense, the idea of going "[Insert X red fast-mana spells here]. Contract. Dump the spell you played to contract as powered up spell one. Follow with powered up spell two. Scream loudly and then freak out with a board full of contract-pumped guys. Alpha-strike. Win" does feel quite Rakdos-ish... and if you emptied your hand doing it (I assume that all spells that let you contract will also have contract-triggered abilities, pushing you to play this like an alternative Kicker), would mesh nicely with old-skool Hellbent shenanigans.

In other news, if real, Blightwind Gust is super-cool. Make it a real thing please, Wizards.

New Jace, again if real etc etc, probably has all manner of as-yet-unknown combos with the new Izzet mechanic (i.e. it's probably wise to ignore the inevitable "Derp derp, he's only good with Miracle... probably junk. Magic is dead oneoneone" comments). Given what their guild-leader did last time, it's not completely crazy to imagine that they might have some kind of "reveal this when you draw it" type mech... with which new-Jace would be completely outrageous.
    Last edited by Tumbleweed: 8/12/2012 6:03:30 AM
    98% of the world is stupider than me. If you're one of the 2% that isn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
    Instead of reveal, it should be discard for the Contract, and I supposed the effect last until end of turn. That would interact nicely with Hellbent
    Quote from luminum can
    Contract with Rakdos makes little sense as a Rakdos mechanic. It doesn't play particularly well with any of the existing Rakdos cards. It actually plays *worse,* since it requires you to keep at least one card in your hand to make a contract and turn on your other cards' abilities.

Quote from Calavera37
    Maybe when you reveal the card - it stays revealed? You put it next to your lands or something and can cast it anytime you can normally cast a spell from your hand.

I didn't see the part where the contract ony lasts until EoT.

So this might be kinda neat, in fact.

These cards are all pretty bad. I hope this is not indcative of set quality. We only need one Dark Ascension at a time.
    WoTC, thank you for finally announcing the Modern format, an eternal format where everyone can participate.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes