Planeswalker - Dack Fayden

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/headlines/p/detail/idw-publishing-solicitations-for-december-2011
    From the forthcoming comic book from IDW...

Magic: The Gathering #1
    Matt Forbeck (w) • Martin Coccolo (a) • Aleksi Briclot (c)
    Get ready, Magic: The Gathering fans, there’s a new Planeswalker in town! In search of greater magical knowledge and on the hunt for the people who destroyed his town, Dack Fayden is the greatest thief in the Multiverse. When he gets his hands on his latest prize, though, he has no idea where it will lead him—or to who!

We have seen the original art (resembling Ral Zarek) there is a variant cover as well.
    ATTACHMENTS
    • Magic_01_CvrB
    Can anyone say "U/R Mage?"
    There are two types of people in this world: people who think that countermagic is the most powerful effect in the game and people who aren't morons.

My color is Purple. I value diversity, smashed color pies and obsolete Inquest articles. At my best, I can redefine MTG in a new and wonderful way. At my worst, I can end up as an Unhinged joke. My symbol is not defined. My enemies are 5 old and bureaucratic angry colors.
    A new Planeswalker in town? Well, I'll be. Let's gather up our neighbors and go welcome our new friend down at the waterin' hole.

/If you couldn't tell, I think this description needs to be worked on a little more.

GatheringMagic.com Commander Writer
    Twitter: @mtgcolorpie
    One of the GDS2 Final 101

Recently Written Posts:
    1-31 MTGCP The Complete Commander - Designing Commander
    12-18 MTGCP The Day Kibler Shut Down the World
    For the record, that is a horribly laughable name.
    DCI Rules Advisor
    "Do you have the courage to ride with the devil?"

"Knowledge is such a burden. Release it. Release all your fears to me."
    Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

EDH
    blue manaGrimgrin, Corpse-Born (Competitive, UB Combo/Reanimator)black mana(RETIRED)
    DimirLazav, Dimir Mastermind (Competitive, UB Voltron/Control)Dimir
    GSaffi Eriksdotter (Casual, GW ETB/Combo)W

Legacy
    WUManalessBDredgeRG

Mountains tap for red. Islands tap for blue. Comboing out is sweet, especially against you.
    And that is Eric Deschamps's name on the cover... Must have just for his work.
    WWWWWUUUUUBBBBBRRRRRGGGGG
    WWWWWUUUUUBBBBBRRRRRGGGGG
    Awesome cover... Interesting Character... This is going to be good.

Sig by Rivenor

Cube. The best way to play Magic. PERIOD. Come over and check it out. Also, check out my Peasant Split Card Cube. I Love It When A Plan Comes Together

The World of Pokemon RPG has been rebooted. Come over and check it out. Psyshiro Duckezawa

Set Creation Projects: We Can Do ItArchester: Frontier of Steam Yar! Come over and check out our AWESOME Steampunk set.

(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)
    Is it wrong that I care less about his story and more about what his card will inevitable card will look like? As well as the new version of playable legal cards will be like that are supposedly included with the comic.
    My Trade Thread - Official 3rd Party Trader

My Decks:
    EDH:
    RGRadha, Heir to Keld RG - WRGMayael the Anima WRG
    WUBRG Scion of the Ur-Dragon WUBRG - WUBRG The God Complex (Child of Alara) WUBRG
    Standard:
    WRG Naya Ramp WRG
    Modern:
    BR Blightning Bolt BR - BGElf-Drazi BG
    Quote from Tyrann
    Is it wrong that I care less about his story and more about what his card will inevitable card will look like? As well as the new version of playable legal cards will be like that are supposedly included with the comic.

Alt-art Dack Fayden from Dark Ascension, obv!

But seriously, probably something that's good but not great. Seems typical.
    There are two types of people in this world: people who think that countermagic is the most powerful effect in the game and people who aren't morons.

My color is Purple. I value diversity, smashed color pies and obsolete Inquest articles. At my best, I can redefine MTG in a new and wonderful way. At my worst, I can end up as an Unhinged joke. My symbol is not defined. My enemies are 5 old and bureaucratic angry colors.
    Name seems like he could be a Star Wars Bounty Hunter.
    Duck Fayden, amazing name. Or, for the more perverted minds...

Anyway, I don´t like the fact that he is so similar to Ral Zarek. Anyway, I like him better than Ral Zarek since they look like two "versions" of the same character, given they're so similar.
    This guy has it right:
    Quote from PhyrexianExile
    I think I've learned to treat Magic cards like baseball cards: keep 'em in a binder in numerical order, don't play with 'em, try to finish the set and just keep my head down.

Quote from AsianHammer
    It seems too CG to be an MTG illustration.

Quote from Snow-Fur
    Guys guys, I've GOT it: FtV... TOKENS.

Quote from markslack
    Disagree. Harry Potter will be Alice in Wonderland in fifty years.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and the number of avatars luminum can has ever used. And I'm not sure about the former.
    Quote from Gizlivadi
    Duck Fayden, amazing name. Or, for the more perverted minds...

Anyway, I don´t like the fact that he is so similar to Ral Zarek. Anyway, I like him better than Ral Zarek since they look like two "versions" of the same character, given they're so similar.

It's possible they ARE the same. Both look to wield the same colors of mana. And we know little to nothing about either, aside from Ral apparently being in Izzet. It's possible Ral Zarek is an alias he takes after a failed job or something.
    Quote from Kaseladen
    It's possible they ARE the same. Both look to wield the same colors of mana. And we know little to nothing about either, aside from Ral apparently being in Izzet. It's possible Ral Zarek is an alias he takes after a failed job or something.

Yup, he might be our second DFC 'walker.

Practice for Vintage Masters Limited:
    Draft: (#1) (#2) (#3) (#4)
    Quote from Kaseladen

Jesus, not even two pages in and we are already at this :p
    Quote from Yabbajava
    They could do scars block with Samuel L. Jackson as Koth "I WANT THESE MOTHER *****ING PHYREXIANS OFF MY MOTHER *****ING PLANE!"
    What's with the spate of hot guy Planeswalkers lately? Venser, Gideon, this guy. Are they trying to compensate for the fanservice of Liliana, Chandra and Nissa?

Whatever. I'm not going to complain. Nice art.
    Is it just me or is the cover one that could go on a romance novel?
    Quote from fnord
    Yup, he might be our second DFC 'walker.

I am betting this!
    Quote from {mikeyG}
    What's with the spate of hot guy Planeswalkers lately? Venser, Gideon, this guy. Are they trying to compensate for the fanservice of Liliana, Chandra and Nissa?

Whatever. I'm not going to complain. Nice art.

They have already stated theyre gonna fanservice snip and straight girls. Its ok to me if they choose the lonely misterious slim guy, but I would hate ultramuscled cards ala oiled barbarian style. The new goths vamps are cool rakish heir

Infraction for Inappropriate Language.
    Last edited by Arcadic: 9/28/2011 3:43:12 PM
    Going by that art it looks like he is ambidextrous.
    Quote from Yabbajava
    They could do scars block with Samuel L. Jackson as Koth "I WANT THESE MOTHER *****ING PHYREXIANS OFF MY MOTHER *****ING PLANE!"
    Quote from lol-Raven

Just saying, I thought everyone thought the art was Ral to begin with. And their clothes look very similar. Same beard stubble even. Only real difference is the hair, and that could just be from the lightning everywhere.

Quote from lol-Raven
    Going by that art it looks like he is ambidextrous.

Probably to go along with the thief idea.
    Thief is not the preferred nomenclature. In the future, please refer to him as a treasure hunter.

It'd be interesting if he was an alias for Ral Zarek, but if they did that, how would they handle the type line (i.e., would it be different for each card, or would they both have the same type).
    Quote from lol-Raven

And the worst thing is that I didn't even mean that. I said that since they're so similar, the same colors and maybe even the same plane, it's like they made two versions of the "UR Human Mage Planeswalker" archetype. And that I liked this one version better than Ral.

Geez, are people here so paranoid?
    This guy has it right:
    Quote from PhyrexianExile
    I think I've learned to treat Magic cards like baseball cards: keep 'em in a binder in numerical order, don't play with 'em, try to finish the set and just keep my head down.

Quote from AsianHammer
    It seems too CG to be an MTG illustration.

Quote from Snow-Fur
    Guys guys, I've GOT it: FtV... TOKENS.

Quote from markslack
    Disagree. Harry Potter will be Alice in Wonderland in fifty years.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and the number of avatars luminum can has ever used. And I'm not sure about the former.
    I'm generally not a huge comic book guy. But I think the real question (for me at least) is when is this comic book due to release and will I be able to purchase it online (not super Hiked in price) or have to go to find a comic book store?
    Is that a cheap romance novel? Heck yes wizards, breaking new ground

Quoting from Chapter 2;

"Dack slid into the room, illuminated only by the pale moonlight that danced intricate shadows upon his heaving, hewn chest. Liliana stirred in her bed, "Dack, it cannot yet besooth morn upon this hallowed eve?" The light flickered as spellwork crawled upwards upon her curves- her charm magicks would soon wear off. Dack promptly put down his d20's and he and his buddies LARP'd the rest of the night"

Wait, nevermind.
    Last edited by clan_iraq: 9/28/2011 2:00:59 PM
    PSA- With BNG having many 'opponents choice' effects and not just in tribute, it helps to know how to evaluate such mechanics:

Whenever a mechanic gives an opponent his choice of one of multiple options, the ability is overall worth less than the least of these options, made worse by how different the options are and better by your ability to manipulate this choice. In most cases you have no meaningful way to influence your opponents choice.
    Quote from Sigma
    Thief is not the preferred nomenclature. In the future, please refer to him as a treasure hunter.

Dack Fayden is now the Planeswalker equivalent to Indiana Jones until further notice.
    That awkward moment when you realize that 90% of the game dies to removal.
    is he stealing a necklace from Liliana? :p
    Montreal, QC

Standard:
    Fire and Lightning R

Modern:
    Blitzhelix! RW
    SnapBurn! RU

EDH (1v1):
    Goblins A Go Go Baby! RB
    I am a jerk! RG
    Poison! B
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes