Cloistered youth

In the youtube video there is a card that shows us a little girl with a night time and a daytime symbol. knowing this to be a flip card i would like to speculate as to what the flavor is behind this card.

what we know.

-flip cards transform from innocent looking things into scary horror tropes.
    -mark rosewater said that this set would contain artwork that featured a bedpost.

now my take on this is that this card is based on one of the most frightning and classic of horror movies ever made.

i made a little poem for you guys to guess which movie i mean

The light swings and swings,
    The wind howls and the branches screech
    Inside the door creaks
    and moans,
    There she lies, bound to bed.
    Her arms up high above her head.
    Tongue rolled outside her mouth, eyes filled with fearful doubt.
    When she moans
    the wind is still, the branches silent,
    the light grows dim.
    Her mother knows,
    her father’s dead.
    A priest is needed beside her bed.

i would like to hear youre thought on what this card does, and ofcourse which movie i mean;)

p.s. that movie still scares me, lol:rolleyes:
    I dunno, I'm not convinced the girl is a reference to Poltergeist Smile
    Alea iacta est

I'm a Spike Vorthos - I love lore and flavor, but only if the cards are competition worthy.
    Yes, it seems that this card might end up as a reference to The Exorcist. A horror set need some sort of possession, after all.

Though I believe WotC will shy away from the demonic possession trope to avoid issues with religions, and it will likely be flavored as a ghostly possession instead.
    Quote from parinoid »
    I rolled 5 D6's and got 3 fours. They must have changed the odds of getting a 4!
    Quote from Ellye
    Yes, it seems that this card might end up as a reference to The Exorcist. A horror set need some sort of possession, after all.

Though I believe WotC will shy away from the demonic possession trope to avoid issues with religions, and it will likely be flavored as a ghostly possession instead.

Sigh. Religions need to grow the hell up. But let's not open up that can of worms. Maybe she transforms into a spirit.
    [I was permabanned and all I got to show for it was .... well, nothing.]
    Quote from Syphon
    Sigh. Religions need to grow the hell up. But let's not open up that can of worms. Maybe she transforms into a spirit.

Agreed. You could already argue that Innistrad is about Christian church against the darkness and devils.... that's complete bullocks.... keep the church in town (as we say in German). That kind of debate doesn't belong to a fantasy card game.... it's like when they said that Harry Potter is about religion etc.....
    In context to that I could say:
    Black ants attacking red ants is racism and thus we need to stop them, because their leading dictators won't stop until one side is dead. Start the jets and arm the bombs....

On topic:

Definately the Exorcist which is exactly what I expected. Btw, Oni Possession is also just the possession of a human by a devil just in japanese means (don't know if other asian myths have "oni" as well).
    I expect her to be on the front a little shy girl sitting on her bed weeping with maybe some mysterious shadow behind her or something like that. Upon flipping, she grows into some abomination.
    ---------------------------------
    My old poll: "Returning to Ulgrotha"
    ---------------------------------
    Supporter of the theory 1+1=2 aka take the simple solution...:rolleyes:
    Indeed Ellye that was the movie i was going for, you know you’re classics.
    Now as to strengthen the suggestion that this is indeed a card that references such a movie

Another point of interest is the choice of the word cloistered, for those who do not know what a cloister is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloister

this seems to refer that the girl is interred on church ground, now why would they do that?

Also interesting is the fact that she is imprisoned.
    Reasons for imprisoning someone.

-she has broken the law(why then on church ground and not in a prison?)

-she is diseased(she looks healthy to me, also why not in a hospital? tough one could argue that a cloister could be used as a hospital, but I digress)

-she has been bitten by a werewolf, vampire, donkey etc.( werewolves are red green, vampire is possible)

-she is possessed(bingo, not only is this spot on with the church flavor but she also shares a color with the spirit tribe “blue”)

Now call me crazy but I think a girl who has a small “identity crisis” and is being kept locked up in a room( in a church nonetheless) with art that may very well feature a bedpost ( to which she is most likely bound, or hovering above, as spirits sometimes do) can only refer to one movie.

Of course this is purely speculative, but one could argue that if this is anything but a reference to “ye old classic movie” then wizards missed a opportunity to please horror fans around the world.

And that concludes our speculations for the day.

Greetings, from a Dutchman.
    Quote from Zahar
    I dunno, I'm not convinced the girl is a reference to Poltergeist Smile

Rofl, yeah, I meant the Exorcist. That's what you gain for being sleep deprieved looking for new spoiled stuff :p
    Alea iacta est

I'm a Spike Vorthos - I love lore and flavor, but only if the cards are competition worthy.
    here's the picture of the youth, she isnt on a bed,

Maybe she is like ghost whisperer? XD

BTW

clois·tered, clois·ter·ing, clois·ters
    1. To shut away from the world in or as if in a cloister; seclude.
    Quoth the Raven Nevermore Δεν ελπίζω τίποτα...
    Δε φοβάμαι τίποτα...
    Είμαι Άνεργος.

Grimstringer on Cockatrice, add me if you wanna Grin
    And she's uncommon.

Very interested how this one turns out. Typical horror movie like where the girl that fears everything and don't talk to anyone is indeed possessed or sth similar

Banner by spiderboy4 Smile
    Note, that picture for the wallpaper link on the mini-site has a similar looking girl, in a very-possessed looking pose...

She wants a ride on the pony, dude.

Mafia Stats
    Kill shot: BB
    Issue with my shooting? Please visit my helpdesk and help me learn to aim!
    Quote from TK-421
    Note, that picture for the wallpaper link on the mini-site has a similar looking girl, in a very-possessed looking pose...

I just typed in innistrad minisite and this is what came up.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HxreaCvNe-Q/TlusMTVGT2I/AAAAAAAAM-Q/15gQRUmdO24/s1600/Innistrad%2BArts.jpg

now if you look at the top right picture i think you could agrree with me that that is indeed a bedpost:uhh: also it seems like she may be hovering (movie reference) al we need now is a priest next to her and that seals the deal!

gameplay wise i have no idea tough, any thougts on that?

seeing as its a flavor set maybe we should look at the movie for hints here also?
    Quote from Linforth
    I just typed in innistrad minisite and this is what came up.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HxreaCvNe-Q/TlusMTVGT2I/AAAAAAAAM-Q/15gQRUmdO24/s1600/Innistrad%2BArts.jpg

now if you look at the top right picture i think you could agrree with me that that is indeed a bedpost:uhh: also it seems like she may be hovering (movie reference) al we need now is a priest next to her and that seals the deal!

Well looking at that picture, she's most certainly possessed. I think the whole "Demons and possession will scare away soccer moms" idea went out the window about a decade ago (most of those soccer moms nowadays let their kids play Black Ops you know). Anyway, wasn't there a rumor going around about a Little Girl-esque card that Transforms into a Demon? This would be the art for it I'd guess.
    Quote from drakelordphil
    Definately the Exorcist which is exactly what I expected. Btw, Oni Possession is also just the possession of a human by a devil just in japanese means (don't know if other asian myths have "oni" as well).
    I hope her possessed face also has some disadvantage, such as that aura. So that it wouldn't feel like a "good thing" when she gets possessed.
    Quote from parinoid »
    I rolled 5 D6's and got 3 fours. They must have changed the odds of getting a 4!
    She has an SCP-231 vibe going on. I hope she turns into some unearthly abomination. A triggered ability that kills something when the night side is transformed into might be nice.

didn't they mention in one of the pax videos that one card was a little girl that turns into a demon?
    Melven
    The fact that she is "Cloistered" indicates that she is being separated from society/shut away, either for her own protection, or for the protection of others, or both. Almost undoubtedly she transforms into some kind of horror, be it Vampire/Demon/Spirit or something else.
    In the Previews Video from PT Philadelphia, Aaron Forsythe pretty much confirmed what this card does when he said that there is "a possessed little girl that transforms into some horrible demon".

Link, at the very end of the video (~11:10-11:17)
    The Commander Gauntlet | Lameria
    BGW Ghave, Guru of Spores | UB Vela the Night-Clad | B Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker | R Norin the Wary | RG Stonebrow, Krosan Hero
    GUB The Mimeoplasm | BRG Kresh the Bloodbraided | RGW Uril the Miststalker | WUB Zur the Enchanter | GW Captain Sisay
    RWU Zedruu the Greathearted | UB Grimgrin, Corpse-Born | BR Kaervek the Merciless | BRG Prossh, Skyraider of Kher
    UBR Nicol Bolas | GUB Damia, Sage of Stone | X Karn, Silver Golem | UR Melek, Izzet Paragon
    She is the one card, besides the card that has the awesome angel art, to be awesome.

I want it so much and it seems that might be so.
    :orzhov:Official Cosplayer of [The Crafters]. :3:orzhov:

WRG The Queen's Royal Guard GRW (UC, Modern)
    WU Bruna's Enchanting Masquerade UW (UC, EDH)
    UR Nin's Circus of ValueUR (UC, EDH)
    GG Jolrael's Land Aid GG (EDH)
    BX Fruit Smoothie XB (UC, Legacy)
    RR Worldfire Helix RR (UC, Modern)

Those who hear her go mad with inspiration. - Beseech the Queen

Hmm....could she transform into an Angel or something? 'Twould be interesting, to say the least.
    Quote from Ultimoron
    Hmm....could she transform into an Angel or something? 'Twould be interesting, to say the least.

As far as I know all the day cards in Innistrad turn into bad (or worse) night versions. It also wouldn't make sense for her to turn into something benevolent considering the set seems to be all about "omigod, look at her teeth!" kind of transformations.

The art is known. She turns into a possessed version of herself floating over her bed with all glowy vapory eyes. Doesn't look to scary though compared with what the more famous girl turned into. No vomit, scary face, hewadtwisting or spider walk...
    Planar Chaos was not a mistake neither was it random. You might want to look at it again.

[thread=239793][Game] Level Up - Creature[/thread]
    Quote from MajoraX
    The explanation is simple: mortals trample; Gods annihilate.

Factions: Sleeping
    Remnants: Valheim
    Legendary Journey: Heroes & Planeswalkers
    Saga: Shards of Rabiah
    Legends: The Elder Dragons
    This Card will be a little girl you transforms into a Demonic girl. This is what I heard on the Magic The Gathering website/ in a video with cards being spoiled it was just mentioned.
    Yeah, I'm a little confused that all the Wizards employees seem to be describing her transformation as a Demon, but the art we see on the minisite looks like a ghostly possession, not demonic. It could be that she turned into a demon at some point during design/development and the concept got changed to a ghost by Creative.
    Quote from luminum can
    Yeah, I'm a little confused that all the Wizards employees seem to be describing her transformation as a Demon, but the art we see on the minisite looks like a ghostly possession, not demonic. It could be that she turned into a demon at some point during design/development and the concept got changed to a ghost by Creative.

That's because it's not the art for the transformed version.

Quote from Smokestack
    That's because it's not the art for the transformed version.

That was my other guess.

Thanks for the confirmation! Smile
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes