Rumor Mill Prefixes - A Guide

I like it, but i think it should all just be a bold black that stands out.

For Fakes I like the idea of the bright red however, that would be a good deterrent.

white mana black mana red mana
    I killed an orc with a door once.
    W/B mana B/R mana R/W mana

If colors are going to be used light and dark colors should be avoided. The original yellow for RTR (and the current gold color) doesn't show up very well on the default skin. The black M13 is invisible and the blue Promo is difficult to read on a couple of the darker skins.

This will have to be addressed if we don't use colors at all: the tags need to use the same color as the thread title otherwise black won't show up in the darker skins.

I messed around a bit with the RTR color and I find that this purple looks nice while remaining readable on all skins.. That's #C53DEB.
    [card]Jace Beleren[/card] = Jace Beleren
    [card=Jace Beleren]Jace[/card] = Jace
    Magic CompRules

Scry Rollover Popups for Google Chrome

The first rule of Cursecatcher is, You do not talk about Cursecatcher.
    I have to admit, the array of colors is actually rather distracting to me. I am willing to give it a spin and see how it goes but looking at the page now it feels... more difficult to read.
    [EDH Primers] Jenara | Marton | Thrun | Lin Sivv
    [EDHNon-Primer] Obzedat | Toshiro | Derevi | Tariel
    [STANDARD]UW Midrange
    [MODERN]UWR Flash Control

My helpdesk
    I played around with some different colors for a few of the prefixes. They all appear readable on all skins:
    RTR: #C53DEB
    FTV: #EO7A28
    M13: #666666
    Promo: #5D81C9
    COMM: #5C8A8A
    DOTP: #006000
    DvD: #2E992E
    Fake: #FF0000
    Magic CompRules

Perhaps a simpler color scheme?

Red: Information which hasn't been officially confirmed about a future product.
    Blue: News/officially confirmed information.
    Black: Old news (Red and blue tags are changed to this when the product is released).

Practice for Journey into Nyx Limited:
    Draft: (#1) (#2) (#3)
    First, many of the colors are entirely too bright, to the point where they attract my eyes rather than the names of the post. Can we turn down some of these shades by 75%?

You might be better suited to put these tags at the end of the post name. It will hurt my eyes less, and also allow the eyes to naturally read the title and see what it is related to. It also removes the lack of a standard left justification for English readers, which is often distracting and confusing.
    Quote from fnord
    Perhaps a simpler color scheme?

Red: Information which hasn't been officially confirmed about a future product.
    Blue: News/officially confirmed information.
    Black: Old news (Red and blue tags are changed to this when the product is released).

Red tagged threads would seem to be an issue.
    Rootbound Defenses would be red, which people would then jump to say 'it isn't legitimate because it isn't confirmed by WoTC'. (Which they do already)
    News and spoiler contributor for GatheringMagic.com

Twitter
    Quote from Seth Dracovitch
    I like it, but i think it should all just be a bold black that stands out.

For Fakes I like the idea of the bright red however, that would be a good deterrent.

Bright red is also the color our eyes are drawn to the most, so i'd be a bit ironic and counter-productive to brightly label fakes. Fakes should be labeled as fake and fall off the forums, not have attention drawn to them imo.

Reconsidering the colors a bit. Problems with specific colors, please be specific if its a forum/visibility problem and not a personal preference. Also, since these are Hex coded, if you want to suggest improvements to the colors, please supply the the hex code thingy as to better represent your opinions.
    Quote from Arcadic

Reconsidering the colors a bit. Problems with specific colors, please be specific if its a forum/visibility problem and not a personal preference. Also, since these are Hex coded, if you want to suggest improvements to the colors, please supply the the hex code thingy as to better represent your opinions.

The only ones I noticed when testing the different skins was RTR, M13, and Promo. RTR is still a little bright for the default skin; it's readable but just barely. M13 and Promo are not good for the darker skins; M13 disappears on a couple of them and Promo isn't readable.

The DvD skin is certainly readable but the electric green is quite jarring. I toned it down in my testing but the current color is fine when it comes to readability.
    Magic CompRules

Quote from Nis

The DvD skin is certainly readable but the electric green is quite jarring. I toned it down in my testing but the current color is fine when it comes to readability.

That's actually the only one I have trouble reading against the light blue (default?) BG.
    The RTR one is slightly squint-inducing, but not so much as that bright green DvD on my screen.

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    Quote from urzassedatives
    Red tagged threads would seem to be an issue.
    Rootbound Defenses would be red, which people would then jump to say 'it isn't legitimate because it isn't confirmed by WoTC'. (Which they do already)

If people equate unconfirmed with illegitimate, I don't think that's a problem which can be fixed by prefixes.

Practice for Journey into Nyx Limited:
    Draft: (#1) (#2) (#3)
    The M13 (and i'm assuming for the future) Core sets are hard to distinguish on the Dark theme.

As everyone has already stated, i believe that the "colortags" should be a duller color selections, that way they're readable on any (and all) themes, regardless of which user chooses which. M13 being black tho, while it's harder to spot, it's still visable(ish) so maybe a Dim Grey? or an Olive? Maybe #333322 or #333331

Also PROMO is completely unreadable on the dark skins, I say make it a darker Pink. like #ff6699 or #ff6678 (all of these color's that i'm suggesting are found on http://www.ficml.org/jemimap/style/color/wheel.html/
    Ravarshi Kashaku, Ancient Dragon of the Darkened Realms;
    The Merciless Lord of Torture, Permanently Bound To: ">[THE PACK] 11/5/63 - 11/25/09 Goodbye mom, i'll always love you...

Tibalt & His Devils vs. Avacyn's Inquisitors

My EDH decklists
    To date, this is the only thing that has made me envy the colorblind. Those colors sure are distracting.
    I don't see the need for colors when the tags themselves have proven themselves successful over time.
    i agree with madding, colors really aren't needed, but if we are to have them, at least make them visible on all themes The tags themselves in Bold do the job that they have done for the past X years (X being a relative number that i really cant recall off the top of my head)

In short, Ban colored Tags, leave Bold Tags.
    Ravarshi Kashaku, Ancient Dragon of the Darkened Realms;
    The Merciless Lord of Torture, Permanently Bound To: ">[THE PACK] 11/5/63 - 11/25/09 Goodbye mom, i'll always love you...

Tibalt & His Devils vs. Avacyn's Inquisitors

My EDH decklists
    Quote from Arcadic
    The only option that our forum software can handle is making them all the same color.

The new dash (is it supposed to be an em dash?) gets messed up in my email client.

"[FTV] รขโ‚ฌโ€œ From the Vault: Realms"

It's a little thing, but I figured I'd mention it for everyone else who's on an archaic plain-text email client.
    Just want to say that this new prefix-system mostly hurts my eyes and made the subforum a bit unreadable. The idea behind this is good, but it doesn't really work practically. The only good thing would be that they are all the same color or removed entirely.

That user-writable own [prefix] have been a good indicator by far. What also comes to the mentions of [FAKE] .. now these colors don't really work the same way.
    Decks I run atm:

EDH:
    :symr::symg::symw:Rith, the Awakener:symw::symg::symr: 90% foil'd. My precious.
    :symu::symb::symr:Gwendlyn di Corci:symr::symb::symu:
    :symu::symr:Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind:symr::symu:
    :symr::symw:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:symw::symr:
    :symg::symw::symu:Treva the Renewer:symu::symw::symg:
    :symb::symg::symw:Ghave, Guru of Spores:symw::symg::symb:
    :symr::symg:Borborygmos Enraged:symg::symr:
    :symr:Kiki-Jiki, Mirror-Breaker:symr:
    :symu:Rayne, Academy Chancellor:symu:
    Thank the Gods =D, this is so much better when looking through the pages to look for the promo's I need for my database =D. Many thanks for this.
    Get rid of the hyphen. The lack of an underline already separates the tag from the thread title enough.

As for burying confirmed fake threads, can vBulletin change the formatting on the title itself? Remove boldface and underline, apply italics, maybe step down the font by one size?
    As a side note... it would be really nice if we could somehow impliment a last updated date in some of the single thread releases. Looking at some of them every other day to see if there has been an update is a total pain in the ass. If we could impliment a last updated field it would become easier to see that there hasnt been anything in say 2+ weeks.
    [EDH Primers] Jenara | Marton | Thrun | Lin Sivv
    [EDHNon-Primer] Obzedat | Toshiro | Derevi | Tariel
    [STANDARD]UW Midrange
    [MODERN]UWR Flash Control

My helpdesk
    It looks messy and I don't see the need for the colors
    Quote from Hunter
    It looks messy and I don't see the need for the colors

I like the concept but also think that the colours look terrible. Moreso than others the RTR colour and the others the same colour, but I don't see why the colours are needed.
    Quote from Madding
    I don't see the need for colors when the tags themselves have proven themselves successful over time.

I'd like to address this one. The tags themselves have gotten complaints about the fact that one can't tell speculation from actual spoils when on the main forum page. This is an attempt to fix this. If on the main page, you see a colored tag, you know it's a a spoiler, where as a regular tag is speculation.

She wants a ride on the pony, dude.

Mafia Stats
    Kill shot: BB
    Issue with my shooting? Please visit my helpdesk and help me learn to aim!
    Please keep the colors. They will be useful when more than one day has passed and people start to remember which colors belong with which sets.

Instead of [???], to the extent a setโ€™s codename is known, use that instead, like [Sinker]. People would otherwise have to add it to the thread title anyway, so this saves a step. Also, this should make it easier to replace the tag with the real name once revealed.
    The upvote option is cool. But we need a way to downvote messages that doesn't contain any bit of information. Most of messages on the Rumor Mills aren't rumors at all, but just baseless speculation, questions that already have been answered previously in the same thread or brags about what was opened. We need a way to hide them automaticaly (for example if a post have 5 downvotes, it's hiden and needs to be clicked to be open).
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes