RTR and GTC guildgates have message in flavor text

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but has anyone noticed the RTR guildgates spell out "The guilds of Ravnica" in the flavor text?

Each gate has several letters that are elevated higher than the rest:
    Azorius: Senate, justice, foundation, Ravnican
    Izzet: those, release, their, creations
    Rakdos: Enter, indulge, may, again
    Golgari: starving, rest, Ravnica
    Selesnya: united, open, and

The GTC gates follow a similar pattern, but I can't tell what they say... Can anyone else figure out?
    Last edited by jakebaker: 1/4/2013 1:28:52 AM
    Probably the name of the guy who really shot JFK

Creator of Nyxathid Goes To Town, the M:tG blog responsible for the most LoLs

http://nyxathidgoestotown.wordpress.com/

If you like what you see, please comment and subscribe!
    Maybe im dense, but what pattern are you following? Looks like random letter selections to me.
    Has: jank; Wants: Different Jank trade post

Grammar is the difference between knowing your ****, and knowing you're ****.
    eerie. i recently made a post with a secret message just like that on another forum. but it's for KARA and spells out all five members' names.
    It helps if you look at the physical cards, but some of the letters in the flavor text are misaligned. They appear a couple pixels(?) above the type line.

Edit: I'm following traditional color order: (WU, UR, BR, BG, GW) one letter from each card.
    Wow, that is a really cool find. It's very hard to find though.
    On gruul it's easiest to see.

Gruul: Enter and leave the shackles of society behind.
    Simic: Enter and comprehend the perfection of orchestrated life

In the boros one the R in hearts seems elevated.
    Don't have time to look closely to the others sadly
    this is really cool.

someone with better eyesight than mine should start working on the new gates.
    Dimir: mastermind, lies, deception
    This space for rent.
    In addition to what soulflame said:

Dimir: Enter and become a mastermind of spies, lies and deception.
    Boros: Enter with merciful hearts. Exit with battle cries.

Very interesting find indeed.
    Quote from UNBAN SHAHRAZAD
    It's actually pretty balanced for all the power creep that's been going on. I was half expecting that this would cost 4 and give you a hand-job when it comes into play.
    Quote from aronijus
    Main wincon is Llanowar Elves.
    Quote from Dakhwon
    I don't think it's possible to underestimate Tibalt. He's horribly bad, and the decks that try to play him are bad. The only way to estimate him less than that would be to suggest that he'll give you herpes if you play him in your deck... and I wouldn't rule that out.
    Huh, I thought this was just silly looking-too-hard stuff until I actually checked and saw that, sure enough, those letters are definitely slightly off-kilter. Wow, that's incredibly subtle and really, really interesting. I suppose the story of the block does involve looking for clues to a secret maze hidden in plain sight, so this is something in keeping with that theme.

The order for the Gatecrash guilds, starting with white and having consecutive colors, should be: Orzhov, Dimir, Simic, Gruul, Boros.
    Last edited by luminum can: 1/4/2013 1:49:56 AM
    Orzhov: wealth, security, for
    Boros: merciful, hearts, cries

This gives us:
    wrlld
    eiarh
    oecbt
    t

I think there are some missing, and we may have to rearrange the guilds to some kind of WUBRG order. The first word, I believe, is 'world'.
    Gaymer

Custom Card / Set Reviewer

When reviewing custom cards / sets, I look for (a) flavour, (b) function, and (c) cohesiveness, generally through a risk focus.
    OP's guildgates are in order of color combination, so if we go in order of the color combinations released last week it should be like this:

Simic
    Gruul
    Boros
    Orzov
    Dimir

Just a guess, anyways. I could be completely off base, but it's a place to start. Also, OP only has 5 posts... lurker, or plant?
    I don't have a fancy color affiliation banner, I just like playing with white weenies.

I am hereby petitioning Wizards for inclusion of the "beaver" creature type. Sig this to join the cause!
    Wow, this is actually awesome.

Orzhov; wealth, security, and eternal life... for
    "In the beginning, MTG Salvation switched to a new forum format.
    This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Comic Book Set
    Archester: Frontier of Steam (A steampunk set!)

Quote from Matt Tabak »
    It was at that moment that I realized: I'm kinda just making these things up. We can just write the rules the way we want them to work. People will have fun, and people will get it.

A Good Place to Start Designing
    At first I was like, "whatever, it's late at night." But then I looked. I was thinking it just might be the font, but there's inconsistencies here. There could be something going on there. Some of the letters do looked raised, but it's hard to tell on screen what they are without blowing them up and photoshopping a line underneath them.

If you're going to put together a "secret message", I'd suggest do them in "wheel" order as seen on Tablet of Guilds:

Azorious
    Orzhov
    Dimir
    Izzet
    Rakdos
    Golgari
    Gruul
    Boros
    Selesnya
    Simic

Maybe there's a larger code at work. (Think Dimir).

GatheringMagic.com Commander Writer
    Twitter: @mtgcolorpie
    One of the GDS2 Final 101

Recently Written Posts:
    1-31 MTGCP The Complete Commander - Designing Commander
    12-18 MTGCP The Day Kibler Shut Down the World
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes