2012 Holiday Gift Box

$4 for box, dividers and promo has me sold.

Grin
    Last edited by mishima_kazuya: 8/15/2012 11:42:01 PM
    Quote from BweeBwee

Understand, Dredge is not really a Magic: The Gathering deck. When a card is playable in it, it doesn't mean it's a tournament playable card. It means it's playable in whatever crazy fantasy world that Dredge operates in.

Modern:
    Something new every week

Legacy:
    Something new everyweek Wink
    Much better than getting another 3 pairs of socks. On the wishlist!!
    I want five of these! And I hope they make more every year for new sets! Excellent product for me. I'm always out of storage, and fat packs don't make the best storage boxes. Dividers are more than welcome! And basic lands! I always like basic lands with good art, but never get enough from packs!

Easily worth the 4-dollar difference from the four packs Grin
    /wantwantwant
    Animar EDH
    Karador EDH
    Comments on decks welcome: http://tappedout.net/users/AradonTemplar/
    Currently developing Set 1 of 3, 'Shadow': http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=436885
    That's a very reasonable price. My brothers and I are college students, so $20 is perfect. Smile Can't wait to see the promo!
    Check out some good music!
    Eh, half fat pack. I guess someone will want it. Feels like it'll be a cardboard box.

Cheers
    $20 for a lot of storage space? I like it, compared to this $40 product out there.

Just you wait, in a few years, they are going to add more boosters in this product as an excuse to jack up the price further.
    Quote from Names
    Interesting that they have hybrid mana stickers. Everything else shouts "Ravnica", so I wonder if we will be having hybrid mana in RTR...

The japanese site with "iffy" spoilers had a card with Hybrid mana!

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM...
    Quote from findogul
    It's an instant speed 5/5 trampler for 4. Wtf do you people want seriously? It has applications in populate/ above the curve beats decks, or in Bant control/ flash. I seriously think anyone mad at this card for any reason other than losing an attacker to instant speed wurm, should go home and make their own awesome card game and leave the rest of us alone.
    Name definitely sounds like another Golgari card. Really feeling Golgari love lately, eh?
    I can always use more storgae space. I have one 5-row box stuffed with 7k+ Commons and Uncommons I never plan to use again. A box that can hold 2k+ cards will be good for my pre-Modern Rares.
    May your games be Chaos chaotic Chaos and your decks be Rogue.
    EDH
    WU Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
    UBR Nekusar, the Mindrazer
    RW Anax and Cymede
    RGW Mayael the Anima
    The stickers a nice. It'll give me a better way of organizing my cards using my old dividers along with these new ones. The promo is a bonus. The biggest draw? 4 RTR packs. Seriously, they're all from the same set. That means the cards I pull here won't rotate for two years. Awesome. The thing that bugs me? "Hey, you Magic players with relatives that don't understand your hobby, here's an affordable thing they can get you for Christmas! You know what else? BASIC LANDS!!!" Yeah, because a ton of more basic lands is exactly what we need.

My art blog

Claims:
    Innistrad will have at least a Tribal subtheme - proven right October 2011 : 4 rights

The kicker variant in WWK will be "Kicker without a kicked effect." - proven wrong Jan 2010 : 2 wrongs

Decks:
    :symu::symb: Bloodchief Ascension - Modern

:symb::symr: Rakdos, the Defiler - EDH
    :symu::symb::symw: Sharuum the Hegemon - EDH
    :symw::symu::symb: Zur the Enchanter - EDH
    Traditionally the magic gift amongst family was a fat pack.
    I still think that the product within the fat pack is better,
    but the 35$ price is because of the stellar product.
    This is about half the fat pack product, but with double the space.

That said, I think that this is a better holiday product because of price and volume.
    The box looks big enough to be excited about.
    Plus, that art is amazing.

This product is for a Magic player with a growing collection.
    one entering the 2nd or so year of play, and in need of organization.
    and the lands is a good sign of that,

This is what I am recommending as a holiday gift for most of the new players I've taught
    Last edited by cloudpuncher: 8/15/2012 11:51:46 PM

Avid teacher of Magic to new players.

Flavor enthusiast, Storyteller, and Illustrator

Red Blue aligned Mage

I play limited, casual modern, and keep several standard decks on hand.

In process of writing articles about MTG as a subculture delving into it from a sociological standpoint. If you know of a mtg site looking for a column like that, please private message me. Thanks
    Quote from Trancebam
    The stickers a nice. It'll give me a better way of organizing my cards using my old dividers along with these new ones. The promo is a bonus. The biggest draw? 4 RTR packs. Seriously, they're all from the same set. That means the cards I pull here won't rotate for two years. Awesome. The thing that bugs me? "Hey, you Magic players with relatives that don't understand your hobby, here's an affordable thing they can get you for Christmas! You know what else? BASIC LANDS!!!" Yeah, because a ton of more basic lands is exactly what we need.

but they'll be RTR basic lands, and considering that they no longer do sealed decks, i'm looking forward to 20 basic RTR lands
    I already have all my bulk cards organized by set, so given the fact that the 4 RTR boosters basically make up 3/4 of the value of the MSRP, this strikes me as a GREAT deal. This legitimately makes the organization of my collection WAY easier. I'm totally the target market here.

Thanks to Gabgabdevo for the awesome sig image!

I'm always looking for foil Madcap Skills and Ghitu Fire-Eater, [trade thread link forthcoming]
    Is it sad that I'm going to be getting this just because the art on the box is my FAVORITE land art?
    Quote from InfinityAlarm
    Madness and genius are separated only by degrees of success.

Courtesy of Maelstrom Graphics
    If the box is sturdy like fatpack boxes, or its plastic as someone has hoped, I would probably buy 1 of these to keep my standard-legal surplus in. The dividers and stickers are a nice organizational thing, and will probably be a big reason people pick this up (along with the fact of 4 boosters).

I can also see some people buying many of these, and sorting their collection by set also, as they has set symbol stickers. Looks like WotC put a little though into this.

Standard
    Whatever I can borrow

EDH
    WBG Karador GBW
    WUB Sharuum BUW
    R Purphoros R

WBR Modern Burn RBW
    RWR Legacy Goblins (constructing) RWR

Dreg Mangler is an AMAZING card name.

I probably won't buy this, cardboard boxes work fine.
    WUBRG
    Quote from Sem
    Is it sad that I'm going to be getting this just because the art on the box is my FAVORITE land art?

Nope. Well, no sadder than me hunting down a foil Timeshifted Jasmine Boreal due to it being one of my favorite MTG card arts of all time. [CENSORED] Reserved List keeping me from getting a foil Dakkon Blackblade.

Sad will be the people getting this product for the alternate art Golgari card that comes with it. Two promo cards announced, both Golgari. And the alt art Jarad in Izzet vs Golgari.

When is Izzet and Azorious going to get some Promo love for RTR, huh?
    May your games be Chaos chaotic Chaos and your decks be Rogue.
    EDH
    WU Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
    UBR Nekusar, the Mindrazer
    RW Anax and Cymede
    RGW Mayael the Anima
    Quote from Names
    Interesting that they have hybrid mana stickers. Everything else shouts "Ravnica", so I wonder if we will be having hybrid mana in RTR...

There are also the "scratchy marks" from Future Sight that mean "creature." (see, I don't know, Tarmogoyf) That doesn't mean there will be Future Sight borders, in my mind. They are just symbols used from throughout Magic's history imho. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Though, to be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if hybrid mana shows up in RTR block.. on the other hand, I wouldn't be that surprised if hybrid mana didn't show up in RTR block. Meh. Either way, I don't think there are any real hints here.

oh, also I'm sure people will use the hybrid symbol stickers for things like Double Negative (multi-color), not just Izzet Guildmage (hybrid).
    Last edited by jonnybgood23: 8/16/2012 12:03:06 AM
    Check out some good music!
    Ill by one, and probably get the boxes from a bunch of people. Looks like a really solid way to store my 1000+ cards I've collected.

Don't get me wrong Wizards. This doesn't correct tyhe dirty deed on the price of Commander's Arsenal.
    My wife just complained to me how hard it is to gift me magic stuff. This is a good idea
    Playing:

EDH:
    Niv-Mizzet

Legacy:
    The Rack

Modern
    Venser, the Sojourner Control
    Quote from Chained to Life
    If it's made of plastic then I'm sold. If it's cardboard, then no thanks.

Fat chance it'll be plastic. They eliminated plastic from their blister packs, what makes you think they'll make a huge plastic box for cards?
    I really like this - my mum can't complain about me getting this because it's (much needed) storage for magic cards, AND it's a good reason for me to buy more cards! Grin smiles all round!!!

I hope this doesnt sell Too well as it may be at something like £17.99 at a local store and I want 2 of them
    All the Wizard product boxes have been cardboard--no reason to think this would be otherwise especially at that MRSP. Also, they explicitly indicated that the dividers are plastic as if that was considered a plus. If the box was plastic, they would have said so too. (A little marketing trick: highlight positive qualities; for lower qualities, don't say anything at all to leave buyers guessing or better yet let them buy the product assuming it's the better quality.)

What concerns me more is that that cover looks a little shallow and might not fit the box snuggly. I can just imagine dropping a heavy card box with the cover flying off and cards all over the floor.
    I really like the DB toolkit's box. It has a cover the folds over the top and front and side flaps that tuck into the box for a secure card box.

On the plus side, it looks like the card box columns are wide enough to fit cards with sleeves so you can store sleeved decks too.
    Will it fit the my cube in it is the only think I care about Smile
    I think I will get this. I have many casual decks and this would help a lot. This should fit commander decks too. I hope the material is sturdy, most of the time, I don't care for design but if the accessory is long lasting.

Sexy Sig by mchief111 @ Rising Studios

Trade List

EDH
    G Isao
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes