[DKA] DailyMTG Previews 1/9: Loads of cards!

Quote from Zoomba
    And what format are you playing this combo in? I guess it's cool in EDH but there are more ridiculous two-card combos in that inherently unbalanced format.

Well considering Skullclamp is banned in everything but Vintage and EDH, what format would I be talking about? Rolleyes

It isn't a combo, it's an engine. People already play Skullclamp + Bloodghast, this is reusable multiple times a turn if you have a Zombie.
    I'd be willing to bet the that sword is the thing that Geralf mentioned to Gisa in his whiny letter.
    Zedruu is my homie.

As prompted by certain threads on the forums, I'm now certain that the planeswalkers in DGM will be.... Ral Zarek, Morsel of the Firemind.

Quote from Ethereal Armor
    Metal is scarce, smiths are pricy, and [whiny] plate mail is heavy. [/whiny]
    Quote from Bakoninja
    I'd be willing to bet the that sword is the thing that Geralf mentioned to Gisa in his whiny letter.

It's...possible, but a Binding blade doesn't sound like something tha'd make something bleed uncontrollably...

Avvy and Sig courtesy of Zaphod @ High~Light Studios!
    Diablo 3 ID: GigaGuess#1439
    The creator of Maro's Magic 8-Ball!

Quote from DrendDragonspawn
    "GRUUL SMASH!"
    "No, Gruul will not smash. Gruul will submit to arrest under article 47b-4 of the ravnican code of justice."
    Quote from ThisIsMyName
    Well considering Skullclamp is banned in everything but Vintage and EDH, what format would I be talking about? Rolleyes

It isn't a combo, it's an engine. People already play Skullclamp + Bloodghast, this is reusable multiple times a turn if you have a Zombie.

Since This card has been spoiled i've been finding combo after combo that will work in my briar zombie tribal deck. Draw two cards a turn for B and a colorless and even more(mana permitting). yes please. Another great synergy I've discovers is him and call to the grave. I'm not surprised its already sold out on SCG.

The EDH stax primer
    When you absolutely, positively got to kill every permanent in the room, accept no substitutes.
    Quote from GigaGuess
    It's...possible, but a Binding blade doesn't sound like something tha'd make something bleed uncontrollably...

But! Binding sure does sound like something a ghoulcaller would want to have on a magic sword. Where was it mentioned that it caused bleeding? I know that sounds familiar, but could you link it?
    Zedruu is my homie.

As prompted by certain threads on the forums, I'm now certain that the planeswalkers in DGM will be.... Ral Zarek, Morsel of the Firemind.

Quote from Ethereal Armor
    Metal is scarce, smiths are pricy, and [whiny] plate mail is heavy. [/whiny]
    Quote from Master Moja
    Uhmm, I'm pretty sure Strangleroot Geist IS like Kitchen Finks, in most senses. Maybe even better.

And I'm not too worried about the power creep, because chances are it will drop back down in the next set, anyways. Undying will probably be placed on more little creatures than big ones, thus making it a bit less menacing. Now, if we had cards like the Titans running around with undying, we might be in trouble...

Well, we may see some Undying mechanic put on something similar to Woodfall Primus. Come to think of it, a returned Woodfall Primus could be adequately named Ghoul Tree.
    Quote from Psymon Armour
    Undying? Please tell me someone has played Kingdom of Loathing...

An adventurerer is you too? OMG
    I'm sure somebody at wizards actually plays KoL though, considering how ridiculously witty it actually is.

The geist is so solid.

燃える時計秘密めく花の香り
    www.pokemoncrossroads.com
    All this talk of gravecrawler combos, and nobody has mentioned gravecrawler + phyrexian alter + burning vengeance?
    ~~~Official Homicidal Irish Priest of Robot Jesus~~~

banner by UNKNOWN!

Friends don't let friends netdeck. Go rogue or go home.
    Quote from Master Moja
    Uhmm, I'm pretty sure Strangleroot Geist IS like Kitchen Finks, in most senses. Maybe even better.

Why does everyone keep saying this? Finks is a superior card in almost every way. It has an easier mana cost, it gains you 2 life twice, it's a more powerful creature, etc. They have almost nothing in common except invers P/T's.

Geist is a junky card that dies to everything, ill be chump blocked forever, never get to use haste as a 3/2, and has a worse mana cost.

If some mono G aggro deck boils up he'll see pla, other than that, it's just more post drafting trashcan feed
    Geist costs 2. Finks costs 3. Also, haste.
    Quote from Valarin
    Why does everyone keep saying this? Finks is a superior card in almost every way. It has an easier mana cost, it gains you 2 life twice, it's a more powerful creature, etc. They have almost nothing in common except invers P/T's.

Geist is a junky card that dies to everything, ill be chump blocked forever, never get to use haste as a 3/2, and has a worse mana cost.

If some mono G aggro deck boils up he'll see pla, other than that, it's just more post drafting trashcan feed

For all you know, this card will be just what Birthing Pod needs to help it against both aggro and control.

Dismissing the card to mono green beats isn't much better than trying to find cards it's comparable to.
    Quote from slayer_x57
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but undying creatures just love Cauldron of Souls. Let's just speak purely from Strangleroot Geist. It's a 3/2 creature. It's about to die, give it persist. It dies, has no -1/-1 counters, comes back thanks to persist. It now dies to having 0 toughness, but since it had no +1/+1 counters it comes back due to undying. Now that's how you keep creatures alive! This obviously only happens with 1 toughness creatures, but anything higher would still come back to have some fun with a -1/-1 counter on it (and when it dies again it's undying!). Of course this would only work for a casual or EDH type deck, but it seems rather fun.

I guess that would work for getting three uses out of your undying creatures. It's kinda bombo with the 1 toughness like the geist though, because it'll still have that +1/+1 in the end.

Quote from Master Moja
    Huntmaster of The Fells - Our GR werewolf, just like predicted. Hopefully it'll have some cool ability. Maybe, "Other Werewolf creatures you control can't transform as long as -Werewolf name- is on the battlefield."

That would actually keep your humans from transforming into their night sides, as werewolves like Mayor of Avabruck have Werewolf on their Human side.

She wants a ride on the pony, dude.
    Mafia Stats
    Kill shot: BB
    Issue with my shooting? Please visit my helpdesk and help me learn to aim!
    Quote from Stuffy_Dolled
    Doesn't Undying completely trump Infect?If Any creature blocks an infect, it first has it's +1/+1 counter removed before hitting the graveyard, which mean that it comes back with a counter ready to block an infect creature again?

Quote from superpositioned
    Yep, wither too.

Meh, after reading the article(and double checking on the rules) I have found that this doesn't work. Meh. Apparently all state based actions are taken simultaneously(which I knew) but it just escaped me that because of that at no point will the +1/+1 counter not be on the creature with undying while it's a creature(when it's in the GY it's a creature card. So infect/wither will just kill it dead if there is a +1/+1 counter.
    Meh, after reading the article(and double checking on the rules) I have found that this doesn't work. Meh. Apparently all state based actions are taken simultaneously(which I knew) but it just escaped me that because of that at no point will the +1/+1 counter not be on the creature with undying while it's a creature(when it's in the GY it's a creature card. So infect/wither will just kill it dead if there is a +1/+1 counter.

But Geist will block 1/x Infect creatures all day long. (not that there are any seeing play that Geist can actually block, but that's a different story).
    Standard
    (P/G) Infect (P/G)

EDH
    Quote from Masque
    Zombie Apocalypse, I can die a happy man now.

Oh wait...

Most clever thing I've heard in a while. Cheers man Grin
    Stuff I play:
    dredge t.e.s. loam
    "We should be able to goldfish this match-up with one hand in our pocket showing them what we're doing below the table, on the table."
    - Bryant Cook
    that Geist + Everlasting torment... must make this deck

wait what wouldn't the -1/-1 counter get rid of the +1/+1 counter as it goes on.. that how it works right?
    Last edited by thenightmare: 1/10/2012 7:37:49 AM
    Quote from Elysium
    In what universe? If you build a deck like that, and ever draw that hand, I will personally come to wherever you live, perform complicated acts of awestruck ********, then disembowel myself to escape the world that allowed something like this to occur and validate you.

Quote from mesa
    If you read ''The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'' then you should know how they fly. You just have to ''miss'' the ground or forget to hit the ground. Grin
    Quote from Holy Llama
    But Geist will block 1/x Infect creatures all day long. (not that there are any seeing play that Geist can actually block, but that's a different story).

For sure, as long as the damage is not lethal you're fine.

Quote from thenightmare
    that Geist + Everlasting torment... must make this deck

wait what wouldn't the -1/-1 counter get rid of the +1/+1 counter as it goes on.. that how it works right?

If the damage is lethal the creature is put into the graveyard at the same time as you remove the counters, so when undying checks at no point does it see a creature without a +1/+1 counter on it.(Creature cards in graveyards aren't creatures.)
    Does anybody else feel like there's a cubby hole thing missing from the Ghastly Haunting side of Soul Seizer? I can't look at the card without my eyes being drawn to where it should be. Weird
    For sure, as long as the damage is not lethal you're fine.

If the damage is lethal the creature is put into the graveyard at the same time as you remove the counters, so when undying checks at no point does it see a creature without a +1/+1 counter on it.(Creature cards in graveyards aren't creatures.)

ok... well thats an easy fix i will just need to add Pyrohemia to the combo
    Quote from Elysium
    In what universe? If you build a deck like that, and ever draw that hand, I will personally come to wherever you live, perform complicated acts of awestruck ********, then disembowel myself to escape the world that allowed something like this to occur and validate you.

Quote from mesa
    If you read ''The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'' then you should know how they fly. You just have to ''miss'' the ground or forget to hit the ground. Grin

I haven't seen these posted yet.
    DCI Level 1 Judge

Cube: 450 Powered Peasant [View List] [Draft It!]
    Quote from msten19

I haven't seen these posted yet.

That art for the Geist is 100% better than the normal one :p

I really like what they've done with the frame for those promos, they look top notch now Smile

And when is the Jar of Eyeballs getting spoiled? :p
    I pray that I am never considered useless or old
    Could Huntmaster of the Fells must be the legendary R/G werewolf?

I wonder if Elbrus is a flip Artifact - Equipment.
    Quote from bfellow
    Could Huntmaster of the Fells must be the legendary R/G werewolf?

I wonder if Elbrus is a flip Artifact - Equipment.

The Huntmaster is a transform card and has the two colours of the werewolf tribe, I do believe this is the legendary werewolf, yes Grin

And Elbrus is on the checklist card, no? If it now is, then it's guaranteed that it is a transform card :p
    I pray that I am never considered useless or old
    This set seems really broken so far. I'm afraid of the Undying mechanic, honestly lol Persist was annoying enough but this is even worse!

I love the art in this block, it's beautiful. I'd like to see mill be viable in standard and I think that flashback mill card is a step in the right direction. It's also freakin' AWESOME for self mill.
    MTG Rules Advisor

JAMMIT DIM! I'm a DOCTOR not a DECKBUILDER!
    Geist + hex parasite = undying geist:tongue:
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes