[ISD] Tiago Chan's Invitational Card

Quote from "@maro254" »

When will Tiago Chan's Invitational card see print? For a long time I've been saying "One day". It turns out "one day" is Innistrad.

Quote from "@maro254" »

To quote Zac Hill (a second go in the Pit): "Tiago Chan's card is very good."

Quote from "@maro254" »

I can't say anything about the card right now but I will say it changed quite a bit (for the better).

The original submitted version of the card:

Denying Channel
    Land
    T: Add to your mana pool.
    2UU, Discard Denying Channel: Counter target spell.

(Hope it's not against the rules to bring a thread back like this,) but Aaron Forsythe talking to Pat Chapin and Ray on ggslive at GP Pittsburgh just confirmed that the card is in Innistrad, is NOT based on the original land design and is in fact a rare creature.

Apparently from a recent interview with Aaron Forsythe it won't be a land.
    Last edited by Lizard2033: 8/28/2011 5:42:48 PM
    what was his card
    Quote from michelous
    what was his card

Submitted version of the card:
    Denying Channel
    Land
    I could see WoTC changing it to only counter creature spells.
    A land with flashback? A man can dream...
    I've been hearing about this for years now...I wonder what the actual version will be.
    Always looking for FOIL 8th Edition Intruder Alarm. If you want to make a trade, PM me!
    It's about time. I wonder if it will even be recognizable post-development.
    A virtually uncounterable counterspell that can't be hit by most targeted hand removal and a land drop when you need it? That's pretty sweet!
    Quote from lyme

Dunno. Apparently it was "changed for the better." Hopefully reduced the cost and turned it into an activated ability instead of discard.

EDIT:

Quote from shneakyshneaky
    A virtually uncounterable counterspell that can't be hit by most targeted hand removal and a land drop when you need it? That's pretty sweet!

Yeeah, I didn't think about that. Excellent, excellent point.
    Embrace reality. Deal with the facts, live with the truth.
    strange land... maybe part of a cycle?
    The 5 stage of grief: how Spikes reacted to Sylvan Primordial ban:
    - Denial
    Quote from Wonderland
    As of Feb 03, 2014 Sylvan Primordial isn't banned as per WOTC rulings.

- Anger
    Quote from DCDT-Dito
    our group as decided to avoid most of the ban because whe believe that the edh banlist commitee might be a bunch of monkey that only listen to player complaint instead of actual card power.

- Bargaining
    Quote from DokuDokuH
    I guess I was one of like 3 people who didn't use sypri in a degenerate way? Anyways, for animar (the only deck that ran him), I'm giving people a choice - I can either keep playing him, OR I can swap him out for Palinchron and go infinite, their choice.

- Depression
    Quote from Voxxen
    This ban has me feeling ornery and antisocial.
    Food Chain into Prossh.
    Erayo into Edric.
    Sadness into "New to EDH? Here have a deck to play. Keep it."

- Acceptance
    Nope, Spikes will not reach this stage, they are too mature for that. Instead, they will still complain one year from now, like what they are doing with Primeval Titan!
    -signature sponsorized by "Competitive players are always mature and they adapt, casual players are just noob whiny children"™-
    So, so sick. I hope when he says changed for the better he means, "make less broken" because that kind of utility can warp standard, extended, a potential modern format and it might even make a legacy appearance or two.
    Traumatic Visions

We've seen this before. There's a strong possibility that they encouraged him to make a different card entirely, rather than riffing off the counterspell land. For one thing, it's hard to put a person's face on a land card.
    Quote from lyme

Maro said it will be changed for the better. Maybe you can tap it for any colored mana instead of colorless.
    Quote from Lizard2033
    The original submitted version of the card:

Denying Channel
    Land

So, I'm thinking maybe tap for blue with pain and tap sacrifice pay 2UU for counter.

WW/U manaUU/B manaBB/R manaRR/G manaGW/G manaWW/B manaBB/G manaGG/U manaUU/R manaRR/W manaW
    UU/B manaBB/R manaRR/G manaGW/G manaWW/U manaUU/R manaRR/W manaWW/B manaBB/G manaGG/U manaU
    BB/R manaRR/G manaGW/G manaWW/U manaUU/B manaBB/G manaGG/U manaUU/R manaRR/W manaWW/B manaB
    RR/G manaGW/G manaWW/U manaUU/B manaBB/R manaRR/W manaWW/B manaBB/G manaGG/U manaUU/R manaR
    GW/G manaWW/U manaUU/B manaBB/R manaRR/G manaGG/U manaUU/R manaRR/W manaWW/B manaBB/G manaG
    Flashback doesn't work on non-instant/sorceries right now because it has two triggers in the current rule- one in the graveyard, letting you cast it (that works with everything) and one on the stack, saying when it leaves the stack for any reason you exile it (that makes permanents, well, not work).

So unless they alter the rules for flashbook (very valid possibility!), it can't appear on creatures/lands/etc. I for one would very much like to see it updated without creating a new keyword. Too much similarity with unearth and retrace, tho
    PSA- With BNG having many 'opponents choice' effects and not just in tribute, it helps to know how to evaluate such mechanics:

Whenever a mechanic gives an opponent his choice of one of multiple options, the ability is overall worth less than the least of these options, made worse by how different the options are and better by your ability to manipulate this choice. In most cases you have no meaningful way to influence your opponents choice.
    Changed for the better...? It produces U, but causes you damage? Shrugs
    My Clan Is Dead.... Long Live The Izzet!
    Johnny, born and raised. Always lookin' for the Next Level Combo. Thanks to Bornover of FHLS for the banner!

SmileupMafia Results, Links, and StatsEvil
    I would totally play that card as is all day long. My guess is they reduced the cost by 1 and made it counter only creatures or only non-creatures.
    Looking for trades?
    I'd rather it tapped for U and EtBt. Also wish it cost UUU instead of 2UU to discard, since that would make it better in certain decks, but harder to splash in most decks, and would also give you incentive to play it as a land in decks that aren't heavy blue instead of hoarding several in your hand.
    Cool card concept, I am curious to see how this turns out.
    I'm going to guess that it requires some trick with the graveyard. If Threshold comes back, that.
    Contemplations: Panglacial Wurm , Using Morph , White Weenie

>> My Cube << (Red control, Black aggro)
    Quote from Crypt Rat
    I'm going to guess that it requires some trick with the graveyard. If Threshold comes back, that.

I wouldn't expect to see threshold again, it's been used as an example of "what not to do" with regard to mechanics that toggle between two states. It requires you to constantly be counting something that you don't naturally keep track of. That's interesting in some ways but the tedium of constantly counting the cards in your graveyard can be more trouble than its worth.
    Quote from Molten Shark
    I'd rather it tapped for U and EtBt. Also wish it cost UUU instead of 2UU to discard, since that would make it better in certain decks, but harder to splash in most decks, and would also give you incentive to play it as a land in decks that aren't heavy blue instead of hoarding several in your hand.
    WotC has stated they don't want to make MUC only counters. There is no way they're going to make a UUU hard to counter, counterspell.

WW/U manaUU/B manaBB/R manaRR/G manaGW/G manaWW/B manaBB/G manaGG/U manaUU/R manaRR/W manaW
    UU/B manaBB/R manaRR/G manaGW/G manaWW/U manaUU/R manaRR/W manaWW/B manaBB/G manaGG/U manaU
    BB/R manaRR/G manaGW/G manaWW/U manaUU/B manaBB/G manaGG/U manaUU/R manaRR/W manaWW/B manaB
    RR/G manaGW/G manaWW/U manaUU/B manaBB/R manaRR/W manaWW/B manaBB/G manaGG/U manaUU/R manaR
    GW/G manaWW/U manaUU/B manaBB/R manaRR/G manaGG/U manaUU/R manaRR/W manaWW/B manaBB/G manaG
    Changed for the better, huh? I'd say it's pretty damn good right now. I wonder if we'll even be able to recognize the card when it gets spoiled...

"For the better" means "more balanced." LOL

You guys are dreaming, the original card is already VERY good.
    98% Spike, 1.3% Timmy, 0.7% Johnny.
    MaRo thinks the average MTG player needs the "attacks each turn if able" clause to attack with an 8/8 eldrazi. He also didn't see Batterskull/SFM coming.

His version of better =/= our version of better.
    Quote from The Big Dunks

It turns out that the melting ice caps aren't the cause of the rising ocean levels, it's OP's river of tears.

I support the closure of the Gutter.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes