[CON] Cumber Stone

Look what I've found in the train!

Cumber Stone 3U (formerly known as Encumbering Stone)
    Artifact (Uncommon)
    Creatures your opponents control get -1/-0
    Exceptionally awful. I'd rather have Valiant Guard.
    I am now calling Conflux "NEUTER BITTERBLOSSOM SET".

This is incredible. Goes good with Mirror Sigil too Smile Blue permanent, works Bitterblossom and Spectral tokens. Sweeeet. My Tezzeret deck has a 1 tutor tech to replace Gnarled Effigy as a single now.
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"][CENTER][simg]http://media-dominaria.cursecdn.com/attachments/63/341/635032487131654377.png[/simg][/CENTER]

[FONT="Garamond"][CENTER][I][SIZE="1"]Thanks Zeph[/I][/CENTER]
    [SIZE="5"][U][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"][CENTER][FONT="Book Antiqua"][B][I][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]StarCityGames Philadelphia $5,000 Standard Open-- 6th Place.
    Standard Philadelphia Open 3- Top 8
    Zendikar Game Day Champion[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE] [/I][/B][/FONT][/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/U][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

BBCode Render failed due to reaching MaxNestingDepth(5) for Tag: size

FIRST LOL jk
    anti-glorious anthem for large mana cost...
    at least its an artifact! Grin
    EDH
    Grand Arbiter Augustin IV WU
    Is "Cumber" a word?

For 4 mana, this card is sad. -2/-0 would have been perfect at that cost.
    hmm doesnt seem that bad, the black enchant for the same cost that does -1-1 was legendary, being able to stack up a pile of these seems pretty good.
    Infractions so far = 2

Complaint box: Why was the mtg as an mmo(rpg) thread closed? I was having fun talking about it, hrmph-
    Quote from Zinger314
    Is "Cumber" a word?

haven't you seen the art? it's short for cucumber obv Wink

Dear kbx41,

You have received a warning at MTG Salvation Forums.

Reason:
    -------
    Flaming or Other Forms of Misbehavior

Saying that you sometimes wish people (in this case the implication is the staff) would fall down a well and get AIDS is hardly appropriate for the forum.

Quote from 18_rabbits

What? It's Father's day? I call fake. There's not even a scan to prove it!

Quote from Whimsicalbox

Six is like two mana more than five.

I have 28 different EDH decks
    Compare to Thunderstaff. I don't like it.
    It's a bad weakstone? That wasn't my first choice of cards to nerf that's for sure. lol

R and D must have went something like this to come up with that.

Let's reprint Weakstone!

It's on the reserved list.

Damnit, well, let's make it cost a blue then!

Yeah! Who's got the crack pipe?
    Cumbersome, look it up in the dictionary : ) means annoying or something like that or repetitious, tedious...

The fun never stops with all these sudden spoilers recently. It's like the more interesting cards, not necessarily good but very fun, are taking their time to rear their heads this rumor season. I see a pattern...

But this thing, better than Watchdog, a more expensive Weakstone with colored mana, but okay nonetheless.
    CASUAL RULES!!! Grin

Currently Playing:

RIFT SLIDE (Casual)

I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English. If you believe in capital letters, correct spelling and good sentence structure, then copy this into your signature.
    Quote from Kent
    Compare to Thunderstaff. I don't like it.

well not quite since this prevents their creatures combat damage to your creatures as well.
    Infractions so far = 2

Complaint box: Why was the mtg as an mmo(rpg) thread closed? I was having fun talking about it, hrmph-
    Actually read weakstone people. This thing only effects the opponent weakstone doesn't this thing doesn't effect just attackers weakstone does.

So yeah before you start crying about omg weakstone is stronger its not.

Weakstone

Artifact, 4 (4)
    Attacking creatures get -1/-0
    During the brothers' childhood, Tocasia took them to explore the sacred cave of Koilos. There, in the Hall of Tagsin, Mishra discovered the mysterious Weakstone.
    Illus. Justin Hampton
    Last edited by Monopoman: 1/22/2009 11:49:47 PM

Feel free to bid on my cards here!
    Quote from CCClark
    It's a bad weakstone? That wasn't my first choice of cards to nerf that's for sure. lol

R and D must have went something like this to come up with that.

Let's reprint Weakstone!

It's on the reserved list.

Damnit, well, let's make it cost a blue then!

Yeah! Who's got the crack pipe?

I looked at Weakstone too, but that card makes your creatures wimpier.
    I'd probably rather have this card.
    I'm not a fan, I actually like the ability and think it fits well in blue but I hate the cost, this could easily have costed only 2U or even 1U without being broken. As it is it's a nice hoser against token decks which is unfortunately way too expensive to deal with faeries.

Machius proudly supports R_E's right to Rumour!
    Quote from Orange Mage
    In general, Machius is right on the button. You should follow his line of thinking.
    Yet another Bitterblossom hoser. Faeries were good but man they're practically starting to say "Don't play Faeries!".

In general though this card is exceptional versus token decks and blue is going to love this card. Really good card.
    The fact that this is even being compared to Weakstone is evidence of how bad it is (albeit better than weakstone, which is one of the weakest cards of all time).

However, it happens to hose a deck that is really powerful right now, so it isn't terrible at the moment. However, at 4 mana, I just don't see this getting in under the counters and whatnot. Also, it's blue, so it actually makes great anti-fairy tech for fairy decks to use themselves. That isn't exactly the silver bullet I was hoping for, but it and Scattershot Archer are a start.
    The fact that this is even being compared to Weakstone is evidence of how bad it is (albeit better than weakstone, which is one of the weakest cards of all time).

However, it happens to hose a deck that is really powerful right now, so it isn't terrible at the moment. However, at 4 mana, I just don't see this getting in under the counters and whatnot. Also, it's blue, so it actually makes great anti-fairy tech for fairy decks to use themselves. That isn't exactly the silver bullet I was hoping for, but it and Scattershot Archer are a start.

You didn't forget about Volcanic Fallout, did you?
    Another Bitterblossom solution? I guess one for each color is only fair.

I always liked Meishin, the Mind Cage; this is a slightly weaker effect, but also more abusable in casual jank decks (Sculpting Steel and whatnot) - plus, hey, it only affects your opponents. Okay, but not great.
    Fortunately it is an uncommon, not a rare.. (That's a good thing... right?)
    This is a card made for limited. (Italics for emphasis.)

This hoses Naya's 5-power theme. -1/-0 may seem underwhelming but if you can draft more than one of these your opponent can forget about winning via combat.

Someone said it should be -2/-0? Not a chance.

...and after comparing you realize that it's leagues better than weakstone...the blue mana is definitely worth it.
    CASUAL RULES!!! Grin

Currently Playing:

RIFT SLIDE (Casual)

I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English. If you believe in capital letters, correct spelling and good sentence structure, then copy this into your signature.
    So I heard Bitterblossom is useless now?

Maybe they'll finally drop in price now that there's so many ways to just shut it down...
    Quote from overkill222
    I am now calling Conflux "NEUTER BITTERBLOSSOM SET".

I thought the same. When WotC said they were gonna do something about faeries, I didn't think it would be this extensive. OMG
    Quote from 00Shoe
    This is a card made for limited. (Italics for emphasis.)

This hoses Naya's 5-power theme. -1/-0 may seem underwhelming but if you can draft more than one of these your opponent can forget about winning via combat.

This is a very good point. The 5-power thing can get very annoying with all the free burn and card draws it can allow, and this makes it much harder for them to have a creature that activates all the 5-power bonuses. Conflux (and Shards) seems to have been designed with many formats in mind, with lots of cards that will make EDH, multiplayer, and limited formats very fun. (Remember guys, it's a game, so FUN is the major point, right?)

And of course, all the lovely fairy hate...

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way. - Gustav Mahler

MOTL Refs:Here
    eBay Refs: Here
    Pfffft.

This won't kill bitterblossom... If Raking Canopy didn't kill faeries, this won't scratch it.

It IS, however, great tech for Faeries to use against BW Tokens. If anything, this made Faeries stronger, not that Faeries will run this.

And yes, this is made for anti-Naya tech in limited, not anti-fae tech in Standard.
    My Extendo Sig [so I herd u liek extended sigs]

GB Elves
    UB Faeries
    WB Tokens
    RB Blightning victory 0-2 drop.
    ???B Super Secret Tech
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes