[CON] Faerie Mechanist

So i asked Zesty about helping out in the number crunch thread and crossed my fingers and asked about one card in particular cuz i'm such a fae enthusiast ....Faerie Mechanist. This is what he told me...

"As for the faerie he's a (U)(3) he's a 2/2 Artifact Faerie Artificier. So when he comes into play, look at the top 3 cards of your library, reveal an artifact card amongst them and put it in your hand, the rest on the bottom in any order."

(U)(3) Faerie Mechanist
    Artifact Faerie Artificer
    Flying
    When ~ CIP, look at the top 3 cards of your library, reveal an artifact card amongst them and put it in your hand, the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
    2/2

I assume it has flying cuz its a faerie.
    Last edited by Radical Serbian: 1/7/2009 5:12:57 PM
    Quote from Maxine
    Answer: Because bolas Grin
    it might not fly. Also another card for my artificer deck. excellent.
    a 2/2 for 3U that lets you peek at your library for an artifact is pretty solid. Obviously you'll want to use it with Etherium Sculptor but even on it's own it's pretty solid.
    Wow it's a more restrictive Raven's Familiar which costs 1 more but lacks the echo. L nice in an artifact heavy esper creation. C 4cc is too expensive for what this is.

Machius proudly supports R_E's right to Rumour!
    Quote from Orange Mage
    In general, Machius is right on the button. You should follow his line of thinking.
    so-so card :/
    Last edited by eci4: 1/7/2009 6:36:40 PM
    Court Hussar for artifacts? OMG
    I am going to LOVE drafting Esper..though so will everybody else, so... Frown

Yeah, would definitely be good with Esperzoa, I can see it. Reveal some good artifact food for my new favorite flyer...
    I am petitioning for the removal of mythic rarity and boycotting overpriced singles. Sig this to join the cause for a more affordable Magic the Gathering.
    I am actually starting to think that an artifact deck will be viable in T2. I'm glad I held on to my tezzies!

Thanks to zesty and radical =D
    Learn from my(and others') mistakes!
    Watch our draft videos at mtgovideos.com!
    Love that card, seems great in Limited. Hopefully a common, would be nice to have that effect in pauper Smile
    Quote from Radical Serbian
    Thats what i'm thinking, he must have some sort of access to product long before its ever released which would greatly imply that it must be someone from wizards. Seeing how when the list of names when spoiled on this site suddenly disappeared only hours later wizards is constanly monitoring this site. No company would allow leaks like this of a product without knowing about it. This all means that wizards specifically wants to be in control of their spoilage and add hype to an upcomming set. It makes alot of sense really, just funny and all.

I hope that Zesty, if he is an employee, is being very careful. I would rather not have the spoilers if it would be mean his job could be compromised.
    Learn from my(and others') mistakes!
    Watch our draft videos at mtgovideos.com!
    Thats what i'm thinking, he must have some sort of access to product long before its ever released which would greatly imply that it must be someone from wizards. Seeing how when the list of names when spoiled on this site suddenly disappeared only hours later wizards is constanly monitoring this site. No company would allow leaks like this of a product without knowing about it. This all means that wizards specifically wants to be in control of their spoilage and add hype to an upcomming set. It makes alot of sense really, just funny and all.

Just because Wizards employees read our site, something that doesn't really take much effort in itself, doesn't mean our rumor sources come from them.

We have Bolas pretty much spoiled. We constantly spoil cards that are official WoTC previews. If this was an 'inside job', this would never happen.
    But whatever, this thread is about the card, which is...eh. I doubt it would trigger very often in limited, but fliers are always fun.
    News and spoiler contributor for GatheringMagic.com

Twitter
    Quote from urzassedatives

We have Bolas pretty much spoiled. We constantly spoil cards that are official WoTC previews. If this was an 'inside job', this would never happen.

Unless (a) they want you to think exactly that, it's not hard for them to realize they could throw you off that line of thought just by repeating a couple cards in the official previews. Or (b) they realize the vast majority of magicthegathering.com readers don't read this forum, so they preview those cards anyway because it gets more traffic and they can hype them further with articles about them.
    I like it in esper limited...like a sleight of hand on a stick
    Last edited by Bread Connoisseur: 1/6/2009 4:55:32 PM
    "Yawgmoth," Freyalise whispered as she set the bomb, "now you will pay for your treachery."

-Freyalise

Currently Playing:
    Legacy:
    UBWRGAll manner of storm comboGRWBU
    Dark Ritual on The Source and Storm Boards
    Notable finishes:
    Top 16 SCG Kansas City Legacy Open 2012 with Burning ANT
    Top 32 SCG Minneapolis Legacy Open 2012 with Burning ANT
    Quote from Pseudotropheus
    I am actually starting to think that an artifact deck will be viable in T2. I'm glad I held on to my tezzies!

Thanks to zesty and radical =D

Exactly what I am thinking. I was so close to trading my Tezz, but I thought "No, wait, let's see what the Conflux is cooking."

So far I am quite happy :).
    reminds me of llanowar empath.
    cool card
    For Limited: If you have 12 artifacts in your deck other than Faerie Mechanist, which is a fairly high number of artifacts even for an Esper deck, you have ~33% chance of missing on the ability.

So, you've got a 33% chance of just 2/2 Flying for 4, which is not great, assuming you have a dedicated Esper deck to work with. In a more loose Esper deck, it's more like 50/50. I guess its playable, but it's really nothing special. Risking a card on probability is bad business.
    I just love this Faerie Mechanist / Esperzoa combo !
    Last edited by rancored_elf: 1/11/2009 6:35:59 PM
    MTG REALM : MAIN SITE : TUMBLR : TWITTER

~
    4 mana for looking at the top 3 is a bit much
    sure it flies and is a 2/2
    at least something
    Last edited by rancored_elf: 1/11/2009 6:35:51 PM
    It'll at least be good in block.
    Quote from Phyrre56
    For Limited: If you have 12 artifacts in your deck other than Faerie Mechanist, which is a fairly high number of artifacts even for an Esper deck, you have ~33% chance of missing on the ability.

So, you've got a 33% chance of just 2/2 Flying for 4, which is not great, assuming you have a dedicated Esper deck to work with. In a more loose Esper deck, it's more like 50/50. I guess its playable, but it's really nothing special. Risking a card on probability is bad business.

. . . A 2/2 with flying for 4 isn't great, no. A 2/2 with flying for 4 that grants you a card even 33% of the time is freaking amazing. And it's not like you're "risking" a card.
    Quote from Æthergineer

The Aperture Science Center would like to remind you that the internet isn't a competition, but if it was, you would be winning.
    (U)(3) Faerie Mechanist
    Artifact Faerie Artificer
    Flying
    When ~ CIP, look at the top 3 cards of your library, reveal an artifact card amongst them and put it in your hand, the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
    2/2

artifacts just keep getting the love. set after set after set
    This is Aven Fisher on crack for Limited. And a less cunning Trinket Mage for Constructed. If it's common, Pauper players (like me) will rejoice and I give it an A+. If it's Uncommon, B+.
    Quote from Shadyguy
    Thundermaw is going to be a $2 rare IMO. It'll see fringe sideboard play at best, although it's a decent casual/EDH card.
    Quote from ateneo10
    artifacts just keep getting the love. set after set after set

Personally, I will blame MaRo for this.

(refer to 'Shard Tricks') ->http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/mm/5

Quoth MaRo 'I love artifacts' (more or less).
    MTG REALM : MAIN SITE : TUMBLR : TWITTER

~
    Quote from robot
    it might not fly. Also another card for my artificer deck. excellent.

I'm not too sure. To my recollection, every single blue fae out their has flying. The only faeries out there that do not fly are green, and that is a total of three:Aisling Leprechaun, Argothian Pixies, & Willow Priestess.

This faerie may become a chase rare for faerie decks, and it will definitely have flying.

Come check out my trades!!!

I'm not sure it's cool trying to incriminate the guy who gave you / us spoilers, but whatever. IMO, people who spoil know this and drop false hints (the guy who got a load of boosters for Eventide said he got them in a shop, for example, which was blatantly false). If Zesty is having drafts, then it's probably not with actual product Smile

The card is good. In limited it's a playable flyer that might net you a card, in constructed it will net you a card, often repeatably (Esperzoa) and at a discount. Might not make the cut in Esper decks, though, depending on what else is available.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes