[THS] Theros Limited - Set Review

Hello everyone and welcome to another limited review.

I’ve decided to skip the core set because it felt like it did not need much explanation. M14 was a pretty slow environment with Blue-Black-Green tied for the best colors in the format. I know, three colors are a lot but they were actually that great. Green had arguably the best common of the set in Rumbling Baloth while Blue had good card advantage spells and good evasive creatures while Black had a pretty strong sacrifice theme around Tenacious Dead, Gnawing Zombie & Blood Bairn. I actually think Gnawing Zombie is one of the most important cards in the entire M14 limited, being able to close long drawn games and being a constant threat against good archetypes like Green-Blue or other light on removal decks.
    This time around I’ve decided to try a different twist on my review. I will also use the LSV/Conley system of grading but I am going to try a new one, that involves some pretty interesting classifications. I will actually call the entire review the BREAD of Theros. Of course, I’m referring to the B.R.E.A.D. of Theros limited. For those unaware, B.R.E.A.D. stands for Bombs – Removal – Evasion/Efficient spells – Assistant/Aggro – Disposable stuff/Dregs. There are other meanings for E, A and D but in the end everyone refers to the same cards. For more information, read the following links:1, 2, 3

So basically, what I’ll try this time is to present each color by separating its cards alphabetically and each card will get a grade from 1-10 within its category of B.R.E.A.D. and a grade from 1-5 within the entire set. It is important to remember that some cards will fall into 2 or more categories. At the end of each color review I will try to make an Average power/toughness for commons/uncommons and a TOP 5 Commons, Uncommons. I will do this because when we talk limited, we mostly refer to commons & uncommons because those are what define the format, especially the commons.

I’ll try to explain the gradings for each letter of Bread using M14/ RTR Block examples.

B = Bombs
    1 - 4 : These will be cards that are mostly wannabe Bombs. They feel inappropriate to the environment they were put in or they basically don’t do as much as expected (ex. Biomass Mutation, Immortal Servitude, Rise of the Dark Realms, Dismiss into Dream). Most cards in this category could easily be put in the D’s of the B.R.E.A.D. but they can still win games and act as a bomb given the right context.

5 : Mediocre bombs that we’ll all play but not feel very amazed by them. (ex. Ajani’s Chosen, Mindsparker, Witchstalker, Path of Bravery)

6 – 9 : This cards tend to make you wanna play/splash a color just because how good they are overall. They will not always win the games on the spot or if they are unanswered but they are definitely one of the most powerful cards in a set. Most of the time they are creatures but they can also be efficient spells that 3-1 your opponent or draw you a large amount of cards. (ex. Sengir Vampire, Serra Angel , Enlarge, Opportunity, Merciless Eviction, Shivan Dragon, Windreader Sphinx, Shadowborn Demon, Scourge of Valkas, Liliana of the Dark Realms, Ajani Caller of the Pride, Garruk, Caller of Beasts, Domri Rade)

10 : This grade is reserved only for such high level power cards that can make you switch colors pack 2 or 3 in draft, that can win the game if unanswered fast and that are hard to deal with, such as very good planeswalkers or enchantment/artifacts. Spells do not usually fall into this category unless they are Overrun/Mill all cards/Plague Wind effects. (ex. Jace, Memory Adept, Kalonian Hydra, Archangel of Thune, Consuming Aberration, Mizzium Mortars)

Of course, most of these card need a good context but the capability to end games pretty quickly and still be mediocre/good if not in the right context is what makes these cards differ from the ones in the first category which can win you the game in the right context but be completely useless in any other situation.

R = Removal
    1 – 4 : When we think of bad removal, we think about cards that work only when certain harsh conditions are fulfilled or when their inner power is just too weak to warrant a place in the 40-card deck. You will play them in a deck that can fulfill those conditions but you know that you might not be able to use it efficients 70% of the time and that does not make you a happy player. There are usually not many removal spells that fall into this category. (ex. Death’s Approach, Undercity Plague, Artificer’s Hex, Shrivel)

5: Mediocre removal spell but will be played most of the time. (ex. Electrickery, Cancel, Wring Flesh, Sensory Deprivation, Devour Flesh, Celestial Flare)

6-9: This is the category where most removal spells fall into. The bread and butter of removal is what defines the speed of a format and the power of bombs within a certain format.(ex. Claustrophobia, Liturgy of Blood, Shock, Searing Spear, Chandra’s Outrage, Doom blade, Pacifism)

10: This is reserved for powerful removal spells that tend to board wipe your opponent and let your creatures live or the mass removal spells when you get to 4-1, 5-1 your opponent. These can easily fall into the Bomb category. (ex. Mizzium Mortars, Bonfire of the Damned, Supreme Verdict, Day of Judgment)

E = Evasion/efficient
    1 – 4 : These are cards that you will play from time to time because they have evasion or are pretty annoying for your opponents (ex. Suntail Hawk, Festering Newt, Treasure Find, Judge’s Familiar)

5: These are efficient creatures or spells and good flyers. (ex. Seacoast Drake, Trained Condor, Tower Drake, Pursuit of Flight, Nivix Guildmage, Golgari Charm, Rakdos Charm)

6 - 10: These are the commons & uncommons that can make you decide on playing a certain color. They either have great abilities or a very good evasive body. (ex. Air Servant, Sengir Vampire, Serra Angel, Rix Maadi Guildmage, Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage, Selesnya Charm, Frostburn Weird, Skymark Roc, Dreg Mangler, Lyev Skynight, Kingpin’s Pet)

A = Assistant/Aggro
    1-4: This is where I believe most aura spells and some pump spells fall into. Also, a few array of mediocre creatures that will be played to fill the curve. (ex. Primal Visitation, Dynacharge, Burst of Strength, Drudge Beetle, Mizzium Skin,Azorius Arrester)

5: The middle ground is the place for most pump spells and some decent creatures or Fog-type effects. (ex. Druid’s Deliverance, Grim Roustabout, Savage Surge, Slitherhead, Seller of Songbirds, Ethereal Armor, Swift Justice, Giant Growth)

6-10: The best of the A’s will always be the creatures that you truly want to fill your curve with and expect to get them in every draft. (ex. Keening Apparition, Knightly Valor, Stealer of Secrets, Advocate of the Beast, Marauding Maulhorn, Giant Spider, Elvish Mystic)

D = Dregs/Disposable
    1-4: These are the worst of the worst. You will not maindeck or sideboard into these cards even if it means you have to play 18-19 lands. (ex. Search Warrant, Staff Cycle from M14, Darksteel Forge, Encroaching Wastes, Artificer’s Hex)

5: Garbage spells that can be sideboarded but feel so underwhelming(ex. Smelt, Vial of Poison, Pyromancer’s Gauntlet, Zephyr Charge, Tome Scour)

6-10: These range from barely playable to very good sideboard material. (ex. Soulmender, Cyclops Tyrant, Pillarfield Ox, Bramblecrush, Demolish)

Regarding the grades within the entire set they will closely follow the structure I’ve used in the past with a small change.

5.0: I will always play this card. Period.
    4.5: I will almost always play this card, regardless of what else I get.
    4.0: I will strongly consider playing this as the only card of its color.
    3.5: I feel a strong pull into this card’s color.
    3.0: This card makes me want to play this color. (Given that I’m playing that color, I will play this card 100% of the time.)
    2.5: Several cards of this power level start to pull me into this color. If playing that color, I essentially always play these. (Given that I’m playing that color, I will play this card 90% of the time.)
    2.0: If I’m playing this color, I usually play these. (70%)
    1.5: This card will make the cut into the main deck about half the times I play this color. (50%)
    1.0: I feel bad when this card is in my main deck. (30%)
    0.5: There are situations where I might sideboard this into my deck, but I’ll never start it. (10%)
    0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding). (0%)
    As usual, I caution you to both look at the rating and read the comments, since even cards rated the same might have very different evaluations. Enjoy!

Let’s start!

WHITE

Battlewise valor

A(assistant) 5/10
    SET 1.5/5
    – This type of spell in white always feels like a manageable assistant spell that could be removal at times or just surprise damage. Each set brings a new one of these. This time we have Scry on it which does make it on par with other 1W pump spells. I’d gladly take Scry over the extra +2 toughness on Show of Valor.

Cavalry Pegasus

B(bomb) – 3/10
    E(evasive/efficient) – 4/10
    SET – 1.5/5

This is definitely a situational bomb. That’s why I even rated it as one. It is very hard to rate such cards because you have to think both about situations where it is surrounded by humans or the ones it is on its own. When it is alone it will just be a Suntail Hawk for too. That’s not a good thing. If surrounded by a large number of humans it can be the game winning spell. Since wizards has put this at common I believe its power level its not that high, otherwise it could have warped limited and it would have been moved to uncommon or rare (the effect at least).

Celestial Archon

B – 6/10
    E – 8/10
    SET – 3.5/5

Surely it is a bomb when it can affect the board twice (pseudo). If you manage to enchant something with it you create a threat that if it happens to die you still get a 4/4 flying first striker on the board. It demands at least 2 answers which makes it awesome. For the evasion section, usually 4 toughness flyers are the norm and if this one can trump them then it is that good.

Chained to the Rocks

R – 7/10
    SET – 3.5/5

This is the sort of card that demands a certain take on your deck. If you decide to play it you either have to play RW or splash the red or the white. Splashing in a format with devotion and mono-color focus sounds tricky but there certainly are some good options, even at common. I would definitely try at least a splash. I feel that Boros is a very draftable/playable archetype though, with all those pesky fast humans.

Chosen by Heliod

A – 4/10
    SET – 1.0/5

Chosen by Heliod is mostly a cantrip for 2 mana. The effect does not feel powerful enough to warrant a card slot. I wouldn’t feel happy playing this in my deck but I will if I need a little more toughness to stop the opponent’s assault or if I don’t find a better 23rd card. Keep in mind that it is a Heroic enabler so that alone could make it more playable than it seems. I’m trying to asses all the info about the new set but it is a bit overwhelming.

Dauntless Onslaught

A – 7/10
    SET – 3.0/5

I actually believe that this card is first pickable in limited. It brings so much power because of the heroic and instant speed interactions that I do believe it’s a pseudo-bomb. People will learn about it and will try to play around it. Being an uncommon helps it a bit because it will not be seen as often but still be amazing, similar to Aetherize in Gatecrash. Prepare to be stepped onto by aggressive humans and the likes.

Decorated Griffin

E – 5/10
    SET – 2.5/5

It seems very good in a race in the late game. Problem with it is that it does not bring enough power to the table for the 5 mana investment. Time will tell how good it is, for now I’m just guessing it is a very playable white card but nothing amazing.

Divine Verdict

R – 6/10
    SET –2.5/5

Since removal at common is quite bad in Theros, this one does get a good spot on the removal scale. It is conditional removal but can get rid of everything. Divine Verdict has been playable in almost any format is was printed and it will continue to be.

Elspeth, Sun’s Champion

B – 9/10
    SET – 4.5/5

The only thing keeping this card off the highest grade is the fact that it does not win on the first or second turn after it was casted but it surely paves to way to winning. The fact that it can kill all monstruosities on the opposite board makes it one of fewest mass removals in the set, and remember that it can be one sided pretty easily.

Ephara’s Warden

A – 6/10
    SET – 2.0/5

It does have a downside of tapping only small creatures but in the end, tappers are tappers and they are pretty good, especially in a slower environment. The fact that it does not stop monstruosities is sad but it can stop aggro decks from hitting you for 20. There are a lot of creatures with 3 or less power in the common/uncommon slot, therefore it will be played in most controlish/tempo decks.

Evangel of Heliod

B – 3/10
    E – 7/10
    SET – 3.5/5

It can literally be a bomb if the game drags on and there’s a stalemate. Otherwise, it should at least act as a +1 on Elspeth which is pretty nice for an uncommon. I see it being picked pretty highly.

Fabled Hero

E – 9/10
    SET – 3.0/5

Fabled Hero is a very good card. It will most often be at least a 3/3 when it gets to attack. It does die to a lot of removal spells but the upside on it is well worth it. I’m not gonna call it a bomb but a very beastly efficient creature.

Favored Hoplite

A – 6/10
    SET – 2.5/5

What we have here is a pretty playable 1-drop for white weenie in limited. It might not be a 2/3 on the 2nd turn but in the later turns it will turn bigger with the right support. It reminds me of the one drop from Gatecrash that had Battalion to get +2/+2.

Gift of Immortality

B – 5/10
    A – 8/10
    SET – 2.5/5

This card could do some work in limited. If you manage to enchant your favorite creature with it, it will be very hard to kill it. Pacifism or Claustrophobia or exile effects could be annoying but I haven’t seen many in Theros, and most were at rare. The one thing that exists at common and trumps this card is the Unsummon effect. One extra point for blue decks.

Glare of Heresy

D – 8/10
    SET – 1.0-3.0/5

This card is not something to be excited about picking it early in draft or having it in a sealed pool but you will sideboard it in against other decks that have white as a main color. The fact that it deals with any white permanent makes puts it over the top against some decks. I’d never play this card mainboard, not even if I knew that white is the best color in the format.

Gods Willing

A – 5/10
    Set – 2.0/5

This card fits a similar role that Ranger’s Guille has played in M14. It saves your bombs, and this time it replaces the upside of a +1/+1 until end of turn with a Scry 1 effect. My belief is that the Scry is much better and will make this card maindeckable in most white decks. Not the mention the Heroic activations that it could lead to. I smell a very powerful Heroic deck incoming, and it will be white and green.

Heliod, God of the Sun

B – 8/10
    SET – 4.0/5

Now we get to analyze the our first god card and boy, all I can say is that this is very good in limited. Infinite dudes? Sign me in. I know it’s a bit slow and clunky and it can’t be splashed easily because of the double white in the activation cost but having Heliod out seems amazing. The vigilance for all creatures is icing on the cake. All gods will be bombs in limited and Heliod might just be the very best. Card advantage in its purest form. Well, card draw could have a word against this but I do feel Heliod might just be one of the top bombs of the set. The only thing working against it is that almost all white creatures tend to be very aggressive. Hopefully it won’t be hard to build a controlling deck with Heliod.

Heliod’s Emissary

E – 7/10
    SET – 3.0/5

All the emissaries are very powerful in limited. After analyzing the power/toughness ratio in Theros I’ve come to realize that 3/3 for 4 is actually a very good bargain. Add a sweet ability on top of that and you’ve got yourself a very good card. The ability on this creature seems to suit all the white aggressive cards in the set. It will most often be played as a creature but bestowing it on a flyer seems amazing.

Hopeful Eidolon

A – 7/10
    SET – 2.0/5

When I first saw this card I did not see the lifelink on it because it was spoiled from a magic online beta leak. Without the lifelink it felt like such a bad card. Eventually, when I did see the lifelink I thought of it as a very good common. It fits a role similar to Mark of the Vampire, trading the extra +1/+1 for a chance to live as a 1/1 lifelinker after your enchanted creatures dies. It can even play defense in the early stages of the game if you happen to mana stumble. I think this one is pretty playable and should be added to most players decks.

Hundred-Handed one

B – 6/10
    SET – 3.5/5

Cards like these are most of the time first picked by the awesome flavor they have. Every competitive player has a little vorthos side which loves to mingle with his card evaluation skills. Being a 3/5 vigilance for 4 mana actually makes it a very playable card. Siege mastodon at 4 mana that can play offense and defense and be a bomb in the late game. Yes, I’ll play it. It dodges a lot of the common removals in the set(4 damage tops in red, -4/-4 in black) and beats face while standing strong. It is one of those bombs that you’ll feel very excited to play because of the combination of flavor and sheer power it has.

Lagonna-Band Elder

A – 7/10
    SET – 2.0-2.5/5

One of the better commons in the set in matter of power/toughness ratio to its mana cost, but this is no Centaur Healer. This is as good as it gets in Theros. 3/2 for 3 seems pretty good against all those 1/2’s , and 1/3’s . We cannot compare this to Selesnya Sentry of RTR which was trumped by all the 0/4, 4/4, 1/4 ‘s of that set. While the most common toughness in RTR was 4, in Theros it seems to be 2-3. I have made a small analysis on the toughness of the set and I will post it later.

Last Breath

R – 5/10
    SET – 2.0/5

While Theros does have a lot of utility creatures at 1 power and some aggressive ones at 2 power I don’t believe you will want to play multiples of this card. I believe one of its main role in the set is to be an answer for Voice of Resurgence in Standard. Theros has many Heroic creatures that grow with every heroic activation and a lot of monstruosity creatures. There are also a lot of aura spells in the set. Last breath will be a mediocre removal that can play defense in the early game or get rid of that annoying utility creature your opponent is playing.

Leonin Snarecaster

A – 5/10
    SET – 2.0-2.5/5

Depending on the power of 2-drops in the format and especially the power of 2-drops in white, Leonin’s value will rise or fall. It is important to note that he is not a human so Cavarly Pegasus’s ability won’t work well with him. Still, 2/1 for 2 that helps another creature get in with the damage is very aggressive and I do believe it is helping in building an identity for white in Theros limited. Maybe it is intended to be paired with either red or green for good decks. White was pretty aggressive in M14 but pretty terrible in format where 1/3’s were the norm. I’ve seen a lot of 3 toughness creatures in the Theros, at common so it makes me a little skeptical about this card’s playability.

Observant Alseid

A – 8/10
    SET – 2.5/5

I think we all remember the good days of knightly valor. This is almost the same effect with the delayed 2/2 vigilance soldier. I’ll call this card on par with the Valor because it helps heroic while Knightly Valor fueled populate. Maybe the valor was something like a 3/5 because of it’s ability to create 2 blockers but they are definitely pretty close. The cycle of Nymphs is playable and I think limited will be infested with star-y cards, similar to the double-faced of Innistrad. Everyone likes new toys, especially those that bring card advantage.

Ordeal of Heliod

A – 5/10
    SET – 1.5/5

Don’t be fooled by this card’s power. While it is the weakest of the bunch, it might be that just because white needs +1/+1 counters the most. Decks with white will have a lot of Heroic creatures and they will want to grow bigger as they are attacking so that it stays on par with the creatures on the other side of the table. I feel that it will be played by a lot of aggressive decks. The biggest downside to it is that it’s an aura which there are already bestow spells to fit that role.

Phalanx Leader

E – 8/10
    SET – 3.0/5

This is one of the build-around-me cards at uncommon slot. If you manage to first pick this card you should force getting all the low-drop creatures in the packs and a lot of spells that target your creatures. Any aura, bestow or pump spell makes all your guys bigger and help you win the game faster. I’m not a big fan of such a strategy but I believe it will be played and will win a lot of games.

Ray of Dissolution

A – 6/10
    SET – 1.5-2.0/5
    This is definitely a sideboard card for now. When Journey to Nyx comes in May, this might be the go-to maindeck removal (if Nyx is actually a place full of bestowed and enchantment creatures), but for the time being, it is a very good sideboard card against the Nymphs, the Eidolons and the Emissaries. I think it wil be sided a lot in the triple Theros draft. [Might be better than I thought. The bestow creatures are so good that this card can be maindecked a lot]

Scholar of Athreos

A – 6/10
    SET – 2.0/5

Depending on the value of low-drops in the format this card could easily be a 2.0. Four toughness is relevant in a fast environment but in a slow one you will usually maindeck creatures with better stats. If white pairs favorably with black this might just get played because of its ability to close long-drawn games. I also love its ability in EDH decks that generate infinite mana.

Settesan Battle Priest

A – 5/10

SET – 1.5/5

On the other hand, I am a much bigger fan of cards such as this one where it can play defense like a beast. Defending you and gaining you some incidental life seems pretty good in a slower shell. I’d pair it with blue or with black but it can definitely be played in other combinations (even aggro). The Battle in its name though, seems out of place. Being a relevant 2 drop makes it more playable and reminds me of Gnawing Zombie or Seacost Drake of M14 limited. Those cards know how to say no to combat.

Settesan Griffin

E – 5/10
    SET – 2.5/5

While at best in a GW shell this card could easily be played in any white deck. 3 power flyers for 5 mana have always been playable in limited and this time around I don’t think it will be different. Get your griffins before the pack wheels. I don’t think its coming back.

Silent Artisan

A – 4/10
    SET – 2.0/5

Silent Artisan might just be a curve filler similar to Siege Mastodon and Thraben Purebloods. Of course, this is a little harder to cast but it does have the upside of helping your devotion to white. Don’t forget that Theros limited is a place where double-colored costed cards might actually be better that single-color cards and all that because of the devotion mechanic. I’d love to follow this up with an Evangel of Heliod.

Soldier of the Pantheon

A – 6/10
    SET – 2.0/5

Savannah Lions was pretty playable in a white aggressive deck and this might one is a straight-up better card that the lion was. Theros is not the place for it to shine since most multicolored cards are uncommon or rare and they also tend to have some form of evasion like flying or trample but if your opponent has Daxos of Meletis that this is one of the few creatures that blocks it and survives. I’m not sure how often this interaction will come in limited games but I do believe it will be seen in constructed. If Daxos becomes an unplayable card, it will most definitely be because this card becomes popular.

Spear of Heliod

E – 7/10
    SET – 3.5/5

Spear of Heliod is a Glorious Anthem with upside. Glorious Anthem has always been a great spell for limited because of the ability to make your creatures better than your opponent’s. If you’re both playing creatures on curve and you drop this card, your creatures are more likely to win that combat. Also, if your opponent does attack you, don’t forget to destroy his best creature after it has dealt combat damage to you. It is an awesome card that will be pretty hard to remove, at least this early in the format when enchantment removals are not so easily maindeckable.

Traveling Philosopher

A – 5/10
    SET – 1.5 – 2.0 /5

This is how a bear that’s also a human, looks. No, seriously. I might prefer it over the leonin snarecaster in decks that want to profit from its human creature type but I could also play both if white turns out to be that aggressive as most of these cards indicate. We’ve already seen some very efficient 1-drops and 2-drops in white. I fear the white menace.

Vanquish the Foul

R – 5/10
    SET – 2.0/5

I’ll start by saying that I understand why this card was printed. Yes, it is somewhat the same as one of Elspeth’s abilities and Yes, monstruosity and Heroic +1/+1 counters tend to make creatures gigantic. Scry 1 does not compensate for the sorcery speed on the card. I’d much more prefer to have it an instant with no scry tapped on it. As it stands, it is just a fine card that will be played in slower decks that want to survive the late games. Whatever the nuisance is, this will get rid of it for good. The Scry 1 helps you find more answers or something to finish the game in the following turns.

Wingsteed Rider

E – 6/10
    SET – 3.0/5

I love playing evasive cheap creatures. This one just starts as a 2/2 and does not remain like that for the rest of the game. You can easily make it a 3/3 and from then on you can say you’ve got yourself a card that’s worthy of a 5-mana casting cost. It can get out of hand pretty quickly thus making it one of the better early picks in a draft. Its double-colored cost also is good for your devotion to white, just saying.

Yoked Ox

A – 3/10
    Set – 1.0/5

I like how white has a lot of aggressive early drops and a lot of answers for them. Starting with removal like Last Breath, Glare of Heresy and ending with creatures such as the Settesan Battle Priest and the Yoked Ox, white has the best answers for white cards. It will be interesting to see those matches where the aggressive side of white battles the defensive one. I for one am stoked. In other news, this card is not worthy of a slot in your 40-card deck because of its low impact on the game. It can come in against heavy aggro but I’d never maindeck it.

Now I’d like to show you the stats of white creatures at common and make a short conclusion. I’ll do this for every color.

WHITE STATS AT COMMON

MANA COST

1 Yoked Ox – 0/4 (basically unplayable)
    Hopeful Eidolon – 1/1 (played most often at 3W)

2 Cavalry Pegasus – 1/1 FLYING
    Settesan Battle Priest – 1/3
    Leonin Snarecaster– 2/1
    Traveling Philosopher – 2/2

3 Wingsteed Rider – 2/2 FLYING
    Lagoona-Band Elder – 3/2
    Observant Alseid – 2/2 (played most often at 4W)
    Scholar of Athreos – 1 / 4

4 Ephara’s Warden– 1 / 2

5 Settesan Griffin – 3 / 2 FLYING
    Silent Artisan– 3 / 5

The highlighted creatures are the ones that will be played at least in 50% of the white decks(I believe so). The others are some curve fillers(Yoked Ox, Silent Artisan), some strategic creatures(Cavalry Pegasus, Scholar of Athreos), some potent utility creatures(Ephara’s Warden and Settesan battle Priest).

Therefore, white seems to have two good 2-drops, three great 3-drops and an efficient 5-drop at common.

Average power: 1.61
    Average toughness: 2.38

Now lets take a look at the uncommon creatures in white:

WHITE STATS AT UNCOMMON

MANA COST:
    1 Favored Hoplite– 1 / 2
    2 Phalanx Leader– 1/1

4 Heliod’s Emissary– 3/3
    5 Decorated Griffin– 2/3 FLYING
    6 Evangel of Heliod– 1/3

This sums up with the commons to create for white:

Average Power: 1.70
    Average toughness: 2.38

Looking at the average power for common creatures makes us understand the value of auras and pump spells in Theros limited.

TOP 5 WHITE COMMONS:
    5. Last Breath
    4. Hopeful Eidolon
    3. Settesan Griffin
    2. Divine Verdict
    1. Wingsteed Rider

TOP 5 WHITE UNCOMMONS:
    5. Decorated Griffin
    4.Helliod’s Emissary
    3. Dauntless Onslaught
    2. Phalanx Leader
    1. Evangel of Heliod

That’s all for WHITE. Join me next time when I talk about blue and let me know how you feel about the new way I’ve decided to do the review. The entire review will be finished by next Friday, when the Release FNM is scheduled.

P.s.: I'd also like to ask a mod if it is possible to pin this up at least until the first 2-3 weeks after Theros Prerelease. Thanks!

UPDATE:
    BLUE & BLACK link : http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost.php?p=10774512&postcount=17

RED & GREEN link: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost.php?p=10792840&postcount=20
    Last edited by Mugiwara: 9/27/2013 7:30:18 AM
    This is a really nice review. The format is much slower (I'm guessing), so how does that factor into your scores? Something like griptide or divine verdice will often 2-for-1 an opponent using normal auras (which they're more inclined to do so due to heroic).
    Awesome review, I still need to finish reading it tonight. Thanks!
    Huh. Seeing all the white cards laid out like this, I just realized that Silent Artisan is strictly inferior to Hundred-Handed One within the same set. I mean they even have exactly the same creature type, Giant!

You have 3WW for 3/5 at common; vs. 2WW for 3/5 Vigilance and a useful Monstrosity ability at rare. That's a HUGE power delta.

I understand that rares have to be better than commons sometimes, but it's offensive when it's this blatant.

Also, good review.
    Quote from JasonFin
    Huh. Seeing all the white cards laid out like this, I just realized that Silent Artisan is strictly inferior to Hundred-Handed One within the same set. I mean they even have exactly the same creature type, Giant!

You have 3WW for 3/5 at common; vs. 2WW for 3/5 Vigilance and a useful Monstrosity ability at rare. That's a HUGE power delta.

I understand that rares have to be better than commons sometimes, but it's offensive when it's this blatant.

Also, good review.

Two cards. One is rare. One is common. Neither will see play outside of limited. I think you are overreacting.
    Quote from The Big Dunks

It turns out that the melting ice caps aren't the cause of the rising ocean levels, it's OP's river of tears.

I support the closure of the Gutter.
    Fantastic review, thank you. I'd also like to request black to be moved up in the queue. Smile
    Quote from Bauhom
    Fantastic review, thank you. I'd also like to request black to be moved up in the queue. Smile

I second this, I am very curious for black.

Also would love to have an overview of the average power and toughness overall. In ravnica it was very important to know that 3/4 are awesome with all the 3/3 running around.
    Why do you claim Ray of Dissolution (3W destroy an enchantment gain 3 life) is sideboard material? Wont every deck at least play some enchantments, making it decent? I would love to kill a bestowed aura, going 2 for one (the creature it enchanted probably growing to weak to survive combat).

How many common/uncommons enchantments are there in theros? I feel quite a lot, making the maindeck of this card more logical than say, plumet.
    Last edited by WvA: 9/19/2013 4:23:27 AM
    Ray of Dissolution
    "This is definitely a sideboard card for now"

What?

I will always play enchantment removal in this set!

Banner by spiderboy4 Smile
    Regarding Ray of Dissolution in the maindeck I'm not quite sure I want to always maindeck it at least until BNG or JIN comes out. Remember that this block is not full of enchantment but that it has an enchantment component. Except for bestow creatures & ordeals(let's say), I'm not gonna try and kill other enchantments but I'd rather kill the creature that's enchanted. And guys, remember that the common/uncommon enchantments matter the most in limited.

Regarding moving black in queue I don't think I can because I'd Like to stick to the usual color order (WHITE>BLUE>BLACK>RED>GREEN). Today I'm gonna work on blue but writing this takes a lot of time and I'm not sure I can finish it today. During the weekend I won't be able to work on any color but I promise that next week the entire review will be finished. It's also more for drafts than for sealed decks.
    Quote from Mugiwara
    Regarding Ray of Dissolution in the maindeck I'm not quite sure I want to always maindeck it at least until BNG or JIN comes out. Remember that this block is not full of enchantment but that it has an enchantment component. Except for bestow creatures & ordeals(let's say), I'm not gonna try and kill other enchantments but I'd rather kill the creature that's enchanted. And guys, remember that the common/uncommon enchantments matter the most in limited.

Regarding moving black in queue I don't think I can because I'd Like to stick to the usual color order (WHITE>BLUE>BLACK>RED>GREEN). Today I'm gonna work on blue but writing this takes a lot of time and I'm not sure I can finish it today. During the weekend I won't be able to work on any color but I promise that next week the entire review will be finished. It's also more for drafts than for sealed decks.

Because the power level of aura's is pretty high (and people want to play them because of heroic) in this set, I think its still worth going 1 for 1 (and gaining 3 life in the progress) but that will remain to be seen.

Is there any way you can already post the avarage stat of commons and uncommons in total? That would be awesome to know while heading into the prerelease Smile

(although bestow and heroic counters mess up this system pretty bad)
    For all the prerelease-rs out there, here are the general stats:

Average power for commons: 2.03
    Average power for commons+uncommons: 2.20

Average toughness for commons: 2.66
    Average toughness for commons+uncommons:2.64

Good luck this weekend and remember, 3 is the power and toughness you want in this format. Thus, Nessian Courser is one of the most efficient commons in the format, or it should be.(stats-mana cost wise)
    Quote from Mugiwara
    For all the prerelease-rs out there, here are the general stats:

Average power for commons: 2.03
    Average power for commons+uncommons: 2.20

Average toughness for commons: 2.66
    Average toughness for commons+uncommons:2.64

Good luck this weekend and remember, 3 is the power and toughness you want in this format. Thus, Nessian Courser is one of the most efficient commons in the format, or it should be.(stats-mana cost wise)

Thanks for your hard work dude! Grin I still think its weird that card is in the set, and not Trained Armodon.. (devotion)

Im also curious how true those numbers turn out to be if everyone starts swining aura's en bestows arround, and monstrousity offcourse. But we'll see, this will be a nice guideline.

If I can ask one more question: how many flyers are in this set? And are they mostly at common and strong? That might be a problem Smile If the average power is a bit more than 3, then 4/4 flyers are suddenly very VERY good.
    Your photobucket cannot contain all the cards so we see only dead links.
    Quote from Verox Kinaltor
    Found out why Mogis has sided with Xenagos guys!

He was in the band playing at the party
    :D:D:D:D
    Quote from Profani
    Your photobucket cannot contain all the cards so we see only dead links.

I'll switch the cards to magiccardinfo instead of photobucket. I can't do that at the moment since I'm posting from my phone.

Concerning the the question about flyers I'll also try to answer when I post my Blue review. Hope to do that as soon as possible because I've finished it.
    Quote from WvA
    If I can ask one more question: how many flyers are in this set? And are they mostly at common and strong? That might be a problem Smile If the average power is a bit more than 3, then 4/4 flyers are suddenly very VERY good.

Out of 94 creatures at common and uncommon, there are 16 flyers.

4 White
    0 Green
    5 Blue
    2 Black
    4 Multicoloured
    1 Colourless
    As promised, I've returned with the other color reviews.
    Here are blue & black. Hopefully I can finish the entire review before Friday. Have a good read!

BLUE

Annul

R – 6/10
    SET – 2.0-2.5/5

While the ‘counter target artifact’ clause does not matter that much in a set with only 10 artifacts between common and uncommon, the ‘counter target enchantment’ clause will come up more often. I have decided to call all counterspells removal. Some might just say it is a very efficient spell. I’ll go with the conditional removal that has to be timed in order to work. As I’ve said before, even though this set has an enchantment component, there aren’t many enchantments in the lower rarities that demand answers (except for those that are also creatures – eidolon, nymphs, emissaries). But I do like this more than Ray of Dissolution, mainly because it is also a god slayer. For 1 blue you can time out any god your opponent tries to resolve.

Aqueous Form

A – 6/10
    SET – 1.5-2.0/5

This enchantment seems like one of the most powerful common auras. The downside to it? Your opponent kills your creature and they 2-1 you. I’m not saying I’d never play this but I really need to be tempo-ish. The scry is not actual card advantage but it does help smooth your draws. Permanent unblockability sounds very sweet though.

Artisan of Forms

http://magiccards.info/scans/en/ths/40.jpg[/IMG]

B – 5/10
    E – 8/10
    SET – 2.5-3.0/5

A cheaper clone variant with the upside of having the possibility to copy any target creature as long as you have Heroic enablers. Keep in mind though that unlike Clone, this can’t come into play as Hexproof creatures your opponent controls. This is because of ‘target’ instead of ‘any’ on the card. I feel it can be a bomb in limited, especially in Blue which does have some big monsters that are ready to double. Aqueous Form is one card I would try to play in the same deck with the Artisan.

Benthic Giant

A – 5/10
    SET – 2.0/5

Awesome artwork should go with awesome card, right? Well, this isn’t true most of the time. Vanquish the Foul was another great piece of art that won’t be on an awesome card. The Giant is ok, he is maindeckable, but no blue deck should want more than 1 of these. I’m sure in sealed he is much better than in Draft. People will learn to respect Hexproof in a set full of powerful enchantments as the block progresses. We still need some more powerful enchantments in the lower rarities in order to always play the Giant. Keep in mind that he is the only common with hexproof.

Bident of Thassa

B – 6/10
    E – 7/10
    SET – 3.0/5

The bident goes very well with all the 1-2 power flyers that blue has. It gives all blue decks a source of card advantage that is really hard to deal with. The fact that it can also turn the tides on the other side of the battlefield just makes it a bomb. You can make all your opponents small creatures attack you while you have some bigger creatures to tromp them. Of course, this might turn out to be one of the worse god equips of the cycle but I’d still play it everytime I’m playing blue.

Breaching Hippocamp

E – 6/10
    SET – 2.5/5

I’m really excited to see this creature. Not only does it have a funny creature type in ‘Horse Fish’ but it is also a nice card to play with. A 3/2 for 4 is definitely playable and adding double upside makes this common one of the best. You can flash it in response to an opponent’s attack and untap another one of your creatures. This way, you can either snap block your opponent’s creatures or even kill theirs while yours stay afloat. This definitely feels like an uncommon.

Coastline Chimera

http://magiccards.info/scans/en/ths/44.jpg[/IMG]

E – 6/10
    Set – 2.5/5

I almost always play big toughness flying creatures. When they cost only 4 mana then I’m much more happier. It is another excited common for blue, sadly at the same mana cost with Breaching Hippocamp but I think I can play both in the same deck. This flyers is a very good blocker and with anything bestowed onto him can become an almost-sphinx level beater. I’d be surprised if this isn’t maindeckable in both sealed & draft.

Crackling Triton

A – 7/10
    E – 5/10
    SET – 2.0/5

This continues the flow of good blue common creatures. Nothing amazing at a 2/3 for 3 unless it is a good blocker(and the format does have a lot of X/1 or x/2’s) and it has a good ability. Even splashing some red could help you get that extra 2 damage in, so that you can kill your opponent. Like the 2/3 in Innistrad that milled your opponent whenever a creature died, this could see play a fair amount of time.

Curse of the Swine

B – 6/10
    R – 6/10
    SET – 3.0/5

Replacing all your opponent’s creatures with pigs might be a good bargain but it definitely depends on your board. If you can manage to build such a deck that revolves around casting this and being able to hold of the swarm of pigs than this is what you’ll want. Having creatures like the Cracking Triton helps this card stop the offense and being able to kill every bomb in the set for a merely UUX is pretty good. Just remember to build your deck around it. 2 power minimum and 3 toughness minimum is what you want on your creatures for this to be really good. I’m more excited to play this in constructed along side Swan song, Rapid Hybridization & Ratchet Bomb. My inner johnny is really happy but I know that this deck won’t actually work in the real world.

Dissolve

R – 6/10
    Set – 2.0/5

Since Theros is a slower environment, cancels and the like are more than welcome to be played. This is a strictly better card than cancel because It brings the same ability with an extra scry 1. Blue continues to have very good cards at common and uncommon which surely indicates the power level of the color in Theros limited. Cancel was playable in M14 and if Theros is at least as slow as M14, Dissolve will be the best Counterspell for limited.

Fate Foretold

A – 3/10
    SET – 1.0-1.5/5

This is not a bad card because it replaces itself and can make any creature have the Messenger Drake ability. Also, helps a lot when you are building around heroic. I’d definitely play this with 4 or more heroic creatures in my deck. Otherwise I wouldn’t be too happy to play it but it is still a fine card. In limited you’ll usually play a decent number of creatures and this cannot be a dead draw in the late game.

Gainsay

D – 1/10
    A – 3/10
    SET – 0.5/5

I’m not gonna say that this card is unplayable, especially when I’ve just presented a lot of powerful blue spells, but like Glare of Heresy, this is never maindeckable. Unlike the glare, Gainsay needs timing which definitely makes it worse. I’d consider siding it in against decks that play heavy blue or those that rely on a blue card to win, even though he/she doesn’t have many blue spells in his/her deck.

Griptide

R – 5/10
    A – 6/10
    SET – 2.0/5

I like this card more as an answer to all the crazy enchantments out there. By having a creature put on the top of its owners library it can nullify all his +1/+1 counters (think Monstruosity or Heroic) or it can take that annoying growing Ordeal of it. I’ll play Griptide more than I have played it in DKA limited, that’s for sure. Blue continues to surprise, in a good way.

Horizon Scholar

B – 6/10
    E – 9/10
    SET – 3.0/5

4 toughness and 4 power Flying? That’s a big deal. Add a scry 2 effect which is almost equal to drawing a card and make it a true bomb. Just like Serra Angel or Sengir Vampire, be it Vigilance, possibility of adding a +1/+1 or scrying for 2, a 4/4 flyer is a very big deal. This is not as good as the other two because it is a 6-drop, but in the later segment of the game this aspect won’t come often into discussion.

Lost in a Labyrinth

A – 2/10
    SET – 0.5/5

The card has the purpose of messing with combat damage while also giving a little peak at what’s to come on the top of your library. I also works as a last resort to activate Heroic on one of your creatures. I’m gonna say that it is playable in these situations but more often than not you’ll find better cards to play. If the scry would have said ‘draw a card’, then I would consider playing this much more often. Unlike Sensory Deprivation which is intended to be used as pseudo removal that stones an attacker with 3 or less power forever, this card is intended to actually make you use your creature/creatures to kill one of theirs. It is always nice to block a 2 power deathtouch guy with 2 of your guys and just play this card in response to have his deathtoucher die and have your creatures live to see the light of day.

Master of Waves

B – 6/10
    E – 7/10
    SET – 3.0/5

In limited it is pretty easy to have at one point 5-6 devotion to your color. Imagine casting this while your devotion is 5 or more. It will bring at least 10-12 power to the table and be able to defeat your opponent pretty fast. Protection from red works nice against all the removal red has in this format, and it makes your 2/1 block all the red menaces.

Meletis Charlatan

E – 6-8/10
    SET – 2.5/5
    Between this and the Crackling Triton the biggest difference is the rarity. In most decks, they will have the same function, since every limited deck plays at most 10 non creature spells and in Theros those will most likely be enchantments(although bestow creatures might be enough). I feel that they are both good in U/R strategies, while the Charlatan could also be decent in a U/B deck. Copying Kill spells usually wins games. I’d consider playing this only in a deck with 6 or more instant/sorceries out of which at least 2-3 are kill spells.

Mnemonic Wall

E – 5/10
    SET – 2.0/5

The archeomancer of Theros is actually an older card than the Archeomancer himself. It creates a much better defense while also bringing back an instant or sorcery spell from your graveyard. Again, U/R and U/B seems the best place for this card. Of course you can buy yourself back some very nice blue spells but unless we’re talking about Sea God’s Revenge(which we will talk about soon) I’d prefer to get back a black or red spell.

Nimbus Naiad

E – 7/10
    SET – 3.0/5

Turning any creatures into a finisher sounds good, right? Well, this is how I imagine this card works. It is probably the best of the nymphs(the black one is close as it also has evasion but its bestow cost is bigger) and I can’t imagine ever not playing it. After the created bomb dies, this still lives as a Wind Drake which it is not amazing but not a bad creature either.

Omenspeaker

A – 7/10
    SET – 2.5/5

When I’ve said that 3 toughness is what most aggro decks will want to beat I referred to cards such as this one. This innocuous blue 2-drop that is actually such a nice card. It works like a wall in the early game while still helping you find what you want off the top. With this in hand you can easily keep 2-land hands with no worries about hitting your land drops. While the Settesan Battle Priest in white has the same stats, I feel this is a much better card as it is in a better color for 1/3’s and its ability is much relevant.

Ordeal of Thassa

A – 6/10
    SET – 2.0-2.5/5

One of the better cards in the ordeal cycle. If you manage to attack with your creature 3 times, you get 3 counters on it and a free Divination. That sounds enticing. This is one aura spell that I’d play even if I risk being 2-1’d by the opponent. Blue also is the color is the most evasive creatures which does help the ordeals to grow.

Prescient Chimera

E – 7/10
    SET – 2.5-3.0/5

The chimeras of Theros are really nice. I’ve talked before about the 4/4 flyer for 6 that blue has in Theros. Now I’ll talk a bit about this 3/ 4 flyer for 5. While the other one was an uncommon and it is definitely much more harder to get your hands on in a Draft, this one comes with the upside of being a common, therefore we’ll see it much more often in limited games, and brings the possibility of scrying every time we play an instant/sorcery from our hand. The uncommon flyer had scry 2 only upon entering the battlefield. In a blue deck, we will usually play the most instant/sorceries which makes its effect pretty cool and abusable. The best answers for all these blue flyers is another blue flyers, the 1/5 common which has the added benefit of being able to block additional creatures(for a 1W investment).

Prognostic Sphinx

http://magiccards.info/scans/en/ths/60.jpg[/IMG]

B – 7/10
    E – 8/10
    SET - 3.5/5

This time we have another blue flyer that scry’s. This one scry’s on attack, but the scry is definitely powerful because it is for 3. This is the most we can scry for in Theros and remember that the Sphinx can be given Hexproof at instant speed with no mana investment. Just remember to keep the extra lands in hand when you are playing this card. It helps a lot.

Sea God’s Revenge

B – 5/10
    R – 7/10
    SET – 3.5/5

If you can curve into this with some creatures than I believe you will just win the game. It is a fantastic tempo card that deals with almost your opponent’s entire board. The scry 1 is just added benefit. Play on the bigger drops your opponent has landed on the battlefield and he’ll find himself choked on mana turn after turn while he’ll try to come back into the game. Eventually, you should be able to get through with your creatures and still the game. Being able to Mnemonic Wall this spell back just makes it incredible.

Sealock Monster

E – 5/10
    SET – 2.5/5

If your not in a matchup with another blue deck then you’ll have to work a bit before starting to attack with this guy. But that’s fine, he’s still an awesome blocker. After you get to make this creature monstrous and attack with it, there aren’t many spells/creatures that deals with this profitably.

Shipbreaker Kraken

B – 7/10
    SET – 3.5/5

Easily one of the bombiest creatures of the set. Not only is it a 6/6 for 6 which is above curve for blue, but for its monstruosity you get to tap 4! Creatures on the other side of the battlefield which should ensure the 10/10 to pass through. I think that activating the monstruosity should lead 75% of the time to immediate victory.

Stymied Hopes

R – 1/10
    SET – 0.5/5

I don't believe it was made to be used in limited. This card is so annoying to use that I won’t recommend it. You’ll usually get to scry 1 and that’s about it. When you do success in countering a spell please do tell me because I haven’t managed to counter even 1 spell with the card from Innistrad that had an almost identical effect, but cost 3 mana.

Swan Song

R – 5-7/10
    SET –1.0 - 2.0/5

Depending on the impact that a 2/2 flyer could have against your deck, this card could be good or pretty bad. If you’re playing blue then you should have some flyers. As we’ve seen, there is a 1/5 flying common and a 3 / 4 flying common. Those really help you play the Swan Song. Being able to hit enchantments, instants and sorceries makes it much better than Annul. Having fewer targets than Negate sucks but in a format where bestowing creatures will be everywhere, I believe this is more like an Essence Scatter’esque spell, especially as the block progresses.

Thassa, God of the Sea

B – 7/10
    SET – 3.0/5

This god might just be the weakest in limited. As sad as that sounds I think its true. Of course, giving unblockable seems pretty cool and can end games quickly but when you’re behind she’s not going to do much. The mana investment does not bring you card advantage like Heliod does and does not protect you from your opponent’s creatures. I’d like to play her in a tempo build where I’m trying to hit my opponent for 20 as fast as I can while returning his creatures to hand or tapping them but after seeing most blue cards I’m not sure that deck is viable. Blue seems very control oriented. I’m sure a U/R concoction will win a draft from time to time but I don’t think it’ll be the dominant strategy. Only time will tell.

Thassa’s Bounty

E – 4/10
    SET – 1.5/5

Where the days of opportunity? I knw Opportunity was an uncommon but this is severely underpowered. If I waste my turn on drawing 3 cards than it should at least be 5 mana. By costing 6 this card won’t have a big impact on limited, though seeing how few card draw spells there are, it might just be played as a way to replenish hands.

Thassa’s Emissary

E – 7/10
    SET – 3.0/5

I like this emissary a lot. Blue does not have many 3/3’s usually and this one threats to ‘draw a card’ on each attack. That sounds cool. It also works well on flyers. 6 mana for bestowing seems a bit much, but the effect is well worth it.

Triton Fortune Hunter

E – 6/10
    SET – 2.5/5

If there’s a Heroic creature I’d like to build around, it is this one. I really like drawing cards while beefing up my creature. That’s sort of a Simic mentality. I’d play it in all blue decks when I have at least 3-4 ways of targeting my creature with a beneficial aspect.

Triton Shorethief

D – 2/10
    SET – 0.5/5

This is not lorwyn which means that adding more merfolks to your tribal deck won’t make it stronger. Stay away from this card and you’ll be fine. It isn’t worth your time and thoughts. Just leave it rot in the sideboard. A 1 / 2 do nothing is bad.

Triton Tactics

A – 3/10
    D – 5/10
    SET – 0.5-1.0/5

While you can actually get yourself in a good spot with this card, I’d much rather have frost breath instead which isn’t an amazing spell also. I can see this being played in decks that are tempo in their nature. I, for one, don’t intend on playing this card. Blue does not have many heroic creatures, which also makes this a worse card of the cycle.

Vaporkin

E – 5/10
    SET - 2.0/5

Depending on the number of good flying creatures overall, this can be a deck enabler or just a bad card. Trained Condor of M14 seemed amazing in spoiler season only to be left in the sideboards a few weeks later after Seacost Drake trumped every one of them. The vaporkin comes into play faster which could be relevant.

Voyage’s End

R – 5/10
    E – 7/10
    SET - 2.0 - 2.5/5

Unsummon effects are always playable but there are times, such as in Theros, where this type of effect are much beastier. Getting rid of all those auras, all those counters and all that pump makes unsummons be much more better. Voyage’s End will be played a lot and wreck your opponent’s game plan the majority of time.

Wavecrash Triton

A – 4/10
    SET – 1.5/5

A 1/3 for 2 seems a lot better than a 1 /4 for 3 in Theros but that does not make this unplayable. You can still put it to great success with a slower deck that wants to buy time in order to build up a Voltron-ic creature in order to win or just tries to tempo you out.

BLUE STATS - COMMONS
    MANA COST:
    1 Triton Shorethief –1 / 2
    2 Omenspeaker – 1/3
    Vaporkin– 2/1 flying

3 Crackling Triton - 3 / 2
    Nimbus Naiad – 2/2 flying
    Wavecrash Triton –1 / 4

4 Coastline Chimera – 1/5 flying
    Breaching Hippocamp – 3/2 FLASH
    5 Mnemonic Wall – 0/4
    Prescient Chimera – 3/ 4 flying

6 Benthic Giant – 4/5

BLUE STATS - UNCOMMONS

MANA COST
    1 -
    2 -
    3 Triton Fortune Hunter– 2/2
    4 Thassa's Emissary – 3/3
    5 Sealock Monster – 5/5 defender
    6 Horizon Sphinx – 4/4 flying

AVERAGE POWER & TOUGHNESS FOR BLUE
    Average power: 1.90
    Average toughness2.90

Average power total: 2.40
    Average toughness total:3.09

BLUE - TOP 5 COMMONS
    5. Voyage's End
    4. Coastline Chimera
    3. Prescient Chimera
    2. Breaching Hippocamp
    1. Nimbus Naiad

BLUE - TOP 5 UNCOMMONS

5.Triton Fortune Hunter
    4.Dissolve
    3.Thassa's Emissary
    2.Horizon Scholar
    1. Sea God's Revenge

BLACK

Abhorent Overlord

B - 6/10
    E – 8/10
    Set – 3.0/5

What is not to love about a 6/6 flyer that puts solid blockers in the way of your opponent’s creatures. The sacrifice something a turn drawback is not really relevant when this creatures starts a clock on your opponent. Of course, there will be some situations where you will have to sac the overlord himself because your opponent has successfully killed all other creatures you control but since he brings at least another 2 bodies into play once you cast him, the overlord should stick for at least 2-3 turns after it was cast. Definitely a bomb, treat it accordingly. 7 mana in this format does not seem something hard to achieve.

Agent of the Fates

E – 6/10
    SET – 3.0/5

This is a very efficient creature. It is maybe the most powerful heroic effect and although black decks won’t have many ways to trigger it, once you manage to build a good BW or GB deck that can abuse heroic, this will mark your opponent’s demise. Even as a 3/2 deathtouch for 3 it is well worth it. It can trade with almost any non-flyer and it can hit for 3 on turn 4. Activating heroic even once or twice per game could be devastating.

Asphodel Wanderer

A – 3/10
    SET – 1.0/5

I can imagine some situations where this card is decent but most of the time it will just be a bad card. I believe that most 1/1’s for 1 that don’t have an amazing ability are plain bad. The clock they put on the opponent is terribad and its ability is not worth it. In Gatecrash, there was a 1 drop that regenerated for 1 mana and was still borderline unplayable. Of course, he was in 2 colors but that can be a valid example for this card’s analysis. I know that formats differ and this time around we have a lot more time to play our spells(Gatecrash ‘s speed was a mistake – Maro admitted it) but I still believe this card won’t be maindecked.

Baleful Eidolon

A – 7/10
    Set – 2.0/5

I really like cheap cards with deathtouch. Playing it as a 1/1 for 2 mana seems the most efficient way to play this card since large creatures with deathtouch seem redundant, but there are times when you can get your hands on some first strikers that you can enchant afterwards. It feels pretty good to attack with a first strike/deathtouch dude. You’ll start to Abyss the opponent or feel like you have an unblockable dude. After the enchanted creature dies, you’ll still get a very efficient creature that blocks and kills almost every monstruosity of the format.

Blood-Toil Harpy

E – 6/10
    SET – 2.0 - 2.5/5

Efficient flyers might be the way to go in Theros draft. Since the ground can get clogged easily, the flyers might have to do the hard work of the format. We should keep in mind that there is a 1/5 common flyer and a 3/ 4 common flyer in blue that trump this creature pretty easily but otherwise it is a nice evasive creatures. I believe that Trained Condor is much better in this format, unlike M14. The enters the battlefield effect could be problematic for you but I believe that In most situations you will feel it like an advantage.

Boon of Erebos

A – 7/10
    SET – 1.5/5

Since removal is so scarce in Theros, we might actually have to play cards like this on. If it would have simply given the creature deathtouch, it would have been much better. As it is, it is still playable and will be used as pseudo-removal or even as a Saving Grasp. The lose life will be less relevant when you can actually lose your bomb.

Cavern Lampad

http://magiccards.info/scans/en/ths/81.jpg[/IMG]

E – 6/10
    SET – 2.5/5

Intimidate is usually on par or better than flying but the cost of Cavern Lampad in contrast with that of Nimbus Naiad is a bit higher. Therefore, the Naiad will be a much better card in what concerns mana efficiency. I would still play both but I believe the Naiad will be more effective. Very powerful creature, much more powerful enchantment and remember that if answered for 1-2 turns it can lead to game ending.

Cutthroat Maneuver

A – 6/10
    SET – 1.5/5

The mana cost is what makes this pretty inefficient. While the other colors have great effects for 1-2 or maximum 3 mana, black got the 4 mana double heroic enabler. Also, black is less likely to have 2 heroic creatures on the battlefield at the same time and while it can be paired with white or green which have a nice plethora of heroic creatures, it just seems subpar. It is easier to read than other tricks and +1/+1 will not save your creatures most of the time. The lifelink is great and can lead to blowouts in a racing situation but I’m not that excited to play this card. I would still maindeck it but I’d rather play a better spell.

Dark Betrayal

A – 2-8/10
    SET – 0.0-2.5/5

With cards like this one it is pretty simple. You never maindeck it and if your opponent is playing black as a main color, you will always bring it after sideboard because it can kill any black creature for 1 mana. This is not like Human Frailty from AVR which you usually mainboarded because every deck had at least 1 human (roughly), but more like Deathmark from M11-M12 which was amazing against WG decks but a blank against others.

Disciple of Phenax

A – 6/10
    SET - 2.0-2.5/5

The stats of this creature are not great but its effect is well worth it 4 mana. You usually cast this before your opponent is ready to drop his/her bomb and you just strip it from their hands. This will put you in a very good spot. You will usually be able to see at least 3 cards with it and that is probably the number of cards your opponent will hold in hand at that point of the game. Use it wisely. If your opponent has 4 cards in hand and you can only cast it for 2 maybe it is better to wait a bit more till you can use it to full effect.

Erebos, God of the Dead

B – 5/10
    Set – 2.0/5

The static ability on this creature is almost useless. Life gain is not an element of all limited matches. Thus, the advantage you are given is not something to be thrilled by. It is pretty cool though, that you can draw cards, especially at times where the game is in a stall and you are flooding. Be careful with the life loss, because if you don’t have ways to gain some life, you might just be the victim of your own God. Making it a 5/7 is what really warrants maindecking what will convince everyone to give it a try.

Erebos’s Emissary

E – 6/10
    SET – 2.0/5

This might just be the worst emissary, but as a bestow creature it is still very playable. While the other emissaries are very good to play on their own, this one feels like in order to get full value of the card, you will have to bestow it on something. Discarding a creature card is not something you reliably want to do in limited. Creatures are fuel and by discarding them you can put yourself in a bad spot if all your threats get answered before the game end. There will be times when your opponent will not block it and lose to the fact that you gave it +4/+4 or more. Just be very careful with that open mana your opponent has, it can make you lose the emissary and the game.

Felhide Minotaur

A – 4/10
    SET - 1.5-2.0/5

2/3 for 3 in black is playable enough that It does not need any other abilities. Being a minotaur in Theros does count towards some tribal interactions. I’ve played a lot of 2/3 minotaurs in M14 and was very happy with them in my deck. Theros’s creatures seem to have even worse stats than m14, a fact which makes the minotaur a little better. 3 toughness is very nice to have. There are some very good auras in the format which can be powerful against vanilla creatures, therefore pay attention to what your opponent shows you in game 1 and sideboard accordingly.

Fleshmad Steed

A – 6/10
    SET – 1-5 - 2.0/5

This one is for the more aggressive decks which play black as a main color. It is actually worse than a vanilla 2/2 for 2 because your opponent nullify it as a blocker but it is a solid 2-drop for where it’s meant to be played.

Gray Merchant of Asphodel

A – 8/10
    E – 6/10
    SET – 2.5-3.0/5

It really depends on your mono-black support cards. If you can play Mono-black with little to no splash, this card can be bonkers, eating your opponent’s life for 6-7 at a time. Otherwise it will be a decent lose 3 gain 3 spell with a 2/4 body. Mark me impressed by the 5 mana casting cost.

Hero’s Downfall

R – 8/10
    Set – 3.0 - 3.5/5

As removal is pretty bad all around Theros, this might just be the best 1-1 removal spell that the format offers. It is a rare, which means you will not see pretty often but it is very effective and does not put you in 2 colors from the get-go(like dreadbore used to). Instant speed is awesome and the possibility of killing a planeswalker could come from time to time, although do not expect many players to have planeswalkers and just kill the annoying creature that’s preying on your life or blocks your onslaught.

Hythonia the Cruel

B – 8/10
    SET – 4.0/5

Da bomb! This is one of those creatures that scream bomb all the way. As a 4/6 for 6 is just fine but as a pseudo-one sided bomb that leaves you with a 7/9 attacker seems dangerous. It is not the greatest sweeper since your opponent can play around it once it lands on the battlefield but it will threaten to win the games most of the time. Common removal spells in red and black have a hard time of dealing with it.

Insatiable Harpy

E – 7/10
    SET – 2.5/5

Lifelink flyers are usually very powerful because they can race better and that’s one of the main problems of flyers in any format. Lifelink flyers in a format with very good auras(bestow, ordeals etc) are definitely much greater. Maindeck with ease everytime you’re black, it is well worth it.

Keepsake Gorgon

E – 7/10
    SET – 3.0-3.5/5

I’ll call this the child of Hythonia. This is a very nice creature that I’m always going to play. This is how I want my deathtouch creatures to be, with low power and a very high toughness. It makes it very hard for an opponent to block it or removal it while I can build my offense. If there is a pesky flyer on the other side of the board, the gorgon will just deal with it once you get to 7 mana. Pick it highly with no fear.

Lash of the Whip

R – 6/10
    SET – 2.5-3.0/5

Lash of the Whip is one of the better common removals of the set but it can only do that much. Its conditional aspects are the mana cost and the 4 toughness . Of course you can mark some damage on the opposing monstruosity but that often translates into a 1-2’s yourself. I’m going to say this card is good but not as good as the Sip of Hemlock. I might be wrong though. Auras mess up with this set’s analysis.

Loathsome Catoblepas

A – 5/10
    SET – 1.5/5

They’ve really tried to put a Catoblepas in the set and they’ve given it a flavor but it does feel underwhelming in limited. It tries to do so much but as a 3/3 for 6 it is just underpowered. When it dies you can hit something but I’d rather play something else when I get to 6 mana.

March of the Returned

A – 5/10
    SET- 1.5-2.5/5

Getting two creatures back is a very good source of card advantage. It depends on you how you construct your deck in order to use this spell to great effect. Play as many good/CITP ability creatures and this way you can fully abuse this card. Or, use as a spell to return your game-winning bombs back for more action.

Mogis’s Marauder

E – 7/10
    SET – 3.0/5

I believe this is the “overruner” of the set. No power or toughness buff makes it worse but such a low mana cost can pair it with another 1-2 creatures on the same turn and smash for a lot of surprise damage. Intimidate is such an underrated ability and will be what ends the games when this hits the field. Otherwise, it can just be a good creature. It combos pretty well with March of the Returned and Rescue from the Underworld. I could see myself building a deck abusing those interactions.

Nighthowler

E – 4/10
    A – 6/10
    SET – 1.0 -2.5/5

It is very important to know the speed at which you deck can get creatures in the graveyard or how well it can kill your opponent’s creatures. Depending on those aspects you can determine how good is Nighthowler in you deck. Bestowing it seems mandatory since the bestow cost is so close to the normal one. It is a much better constructed card because in limited it lacks the right tools to make it shine. I’m not sure a very good deck can be built around it.

Ordeal of Erebos

A – 4/10
    SET – 1.0-1.5/5

Ordeals are nice because they can grow your creatures while also giving you a sweet effect after you have had it on the battlefield for 3 or more turns. The problems with this effect on the black ordeal is that the known possibility of being made to discard 2 cards can make your opponent play in such a way that he will no longer have cards in hand when the effect happens. It is still a good card because it puts counters but it is one of the worse ordeal (together with the white one) because its effect can be zero or close to zero. (when there are 3 +1/+1 counters).

Pharika’s Cure

R – 7/10
    SET – 2.0-2.5/5

This card can be a small incentive to play mono-black since it is such a good card in the early game and can help you get to your Gray Merchants of Asphodels and Disciples of Phenax. Sorin’s Thirst has always been a pretty decent card and in Theros it could play a good role also. It is pretty annoying that most good creatures have 3 or more toughness but there are some very aggressive cards that have very low stats and demand answering in the early game.

Read the Bones

A – 6/10
    SET – 2.0/5

Digging for your best spells is what this card does best. It is also pretty good in a mono-black shell because of how the deck is supposed to function (you act like a combo deck that builds devotion and abuses it). Being easy splashable makes it a very good card overall. The life loss is not that relevant unless your opponent threatens lethal on turns 4 or 5.

Rescue from the Underworld

E – 7/10
    SET – 2.5-3.0/5

Cards like Mogis’s Marauder, Gray Merchant of Asphodel or Abhorent Overlord demand building your deck in such a way that it abuses those effects. This card is particularly perfect for such a strategy and seeing that all these cards are black, I believe mono-black is a really powerful archetype in Theros limited. Only time will tell. In the meantime, this card is splashable and can be used with other colors to put to good use some CITP ability or to re-use a good creature.

Returned Centaur

http://magiccards.info/scans/en/ths/103.jpg[/IMG]

A – 5/10
    Set – 1.5/5

While having a Pillarfield Ox is fine, it is never something spectacular. The possibility to mill the opponent out of cards is not that high unless you have 3-4 of these and an Ashiok, but it can come in long games. It is also an enter the battlefield effect and works well with Rescue from the Underworld. It could also be a pretty nice curve filler.

Returned Phalanx

A – 7/10
    SET – 2.0-2.5/5

3/3’s are very efficient blockers in Theros. This is the conclusion I’ve come to after analyzing the power/toughness stats at common/uncommon in the format. This one comes down on turn 2 and can even attack later in the game. I’d be more than happy to play this card with each occasion I get. And once again, it feels like a shoe-in in Monoblack decks(with a little bit of splash).

Scourgemark

A – 4/10
    SET – 1.0-1.5/5

Now I’m not quite sure how much thought has been put into making such a card. It could be pretty decent, especially with some of the intimidate/flyers out there and with the devotion theme of black, but I feel it is somehow a wasted slot. We might find out that is a real good piece for devotion decks but I don’t feel ok playing this card. Costs a card slot and it gives a +1/+0. Even +1/+1 would have been nicer.

Sip of Hemlock

R – 7-8/10
    SET – 2.5 - 3.0/5

In a slower format with little to no removal , the Sip is probably the only unconditional removal at common and on top of that deals an extra 2 damage to that opponent. I’ll call it the Chandra’s Outrage of Theros . It is not an instant and it does not cost 4 damage but it can deal with any annoying creature on the other side of the table.

Thoughtseize

E – 4/10
    SET – 1.5-2.0/5

We’ll never pass thoughtseize in a draft but that’s not because it is a very good limited card but because it costs a lot of money. I believe it is as good as despise was in limited since you will take creatures like 70% of the time but is nice that you can actually target some enchantments with black. (which is known to have problems at dealing with enchantments). I don’t say I wouldn’t play it but it is a very bad topdeck late game and I have to keep that in mind if I decide on playing it.

Tormented Hero

A – 7/10
    SET – 2.0/5

While 1/1’s for 1 are almost never a good deal, 2/1’s for 1 are much different since they can trade better in the late game and hit for more early on. I don’t believe it will be a superstar but it will give the aggressive decks a new toy to pack in. Although black can be very controlish with cards like Gray Merchant of Asphodel and Disciple of Phenax, it can also be paired with white or red to make a really good aggressive deck that plays perfectly on the curve.

Viper’s Kiss

R – 5/10
    SET – 2.0-2.5/5

Viper’s Kiss is the response the have printed at common to most monstruosity creatures. While a creature with monstruosity has been bitten by a viper, its ability stays irrelevant for the rest of the game making it a vanilla X-1/X-1. That is pretty cool. It can also deal with the X/1’s of the format pretty effectively. It also counts towards the devotion which is nice. I really like this card.

Whip of Erebos

B – 8/10
    SET – 3.5-4.0/5

For limited play, this is the most powerful god weapon you can ask for. Lifelink for all creatures you control goes a very long way. Being able to return something from your graveyard is a bonus. You will be able to race your opponent pretty easily with so much lifegain at hand. Imagine that every creature you control had lifelink on it. Doesn’t that sound awesome, or what?

BLACK STATS - COMMONS
    MANA COST
    1 Asphodel wanderer(1) – 1/1
    2 Baleful Eidolon(2) – 1/1 deathtouch
    Fleshmad steed(2) – 2/2
    Returned Phalanx – 3/3 DEFENDER

3 Blood-Toil Harpy – 2/1 flying
    Minotaur fellhide – 2/3
    4 Returned Centaur – 2/4
    Cavern Lampad – 2/2 intimidate
    Disciple of Phenax – 1/3

5 Merchant of Asphodel– 2/4
    6 Catoblepas– 3/3

BLACK STATS - UNCOMMONS
    MANA COST
    1 Tormented Hero(1) – 2/1
    2 -
    3 Mogis’s Marauder(3) – 2/2 haste, intimidate
    4 Erebos’s Emissary (4) – 3/3
    Insatiable Harpy (4) – 2/2 flying lifelink
    5 Keepsake Gorgon (5) – 2/5 Deathtouch

AVERAGE POWER & TOUGHNESS FOR BLACK
    AVG power for commons: 1.90
    AVG toughness for commons: 2.45
    AVG power for commons + uncommons: 2.00
    AVG toughness for commons + uncommons: 2.81

BLACK - TOP 5 COMMONS
    5.Returned Phalanx
    4.Lash of the Whip
    3.Gray Merchant of Asphodel
    2.Sip of Hemlock
    1.Cavern Lampad

BLACK - TOP 5 UNCOMMONS
    5.Rescue from the Underworld
    4.Erebos's Emissary
    3.Insatiable Harpy
    2.Keepsake Gorgon
    1. Mogis's Marauder
    Last edited by Mugiwara: 9/24/2013 10:35:34 AM
    All I'm going to say is that Gray Merchant of Asphodel ended up dominating our pre-release events. Combined with Rescue from the Underworld, it becomes borderline unfair.
    Don't know how many lands you should run in your deck?
    Check out my expected lands table at:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Airj6A6lYAz_dG05T2JETnVTak1xQ0tqOHNSdEJLWVE&hl=en_US#gid=0

I think that on the surface, Mugiwara's explanation of the colors is valid, but in practice, there are a few mistakes. A number of his decisions assume that the opponent will 2-for-1 you; in practice, however, there are extremely few removal spells in Theros Limited, especially at Instant-speed. I would basically assume that if your opponent is not playing Blue (which has bounce at Instant-speed), they do not have Instant-speed removal; the only stuff that fits the bill is at Rare.

I also think that Mugiwara has, by and large, missed the point of the Ordeal cards. They are Heroic-enablers, meant to go down on Heroic creatures and get +1/+1 counters, going off either instantly or after a single turn. The only time I did not see people doing this was if they had a fast 1-drop creature, like the Tormented Hero, to drop this on.

Finally, I disagree greatly on Asphodel Wanderer; I find it to be extremely strong. Alone, it is not very good. However, it is easy to get a few Baleful Eidolons, and with an Eidolon on it, is becomes a regenerating blocker, which basically locks down ground-based Heroic & Monstrous strategies. Asphodel Wanderer gets very scary with support, and it is very easy to get him support from all of the Bestow creatures. Even just bumping him to a 3/3 flier or Vigilance dude is huge value.

Finally, I disagree heavily with the scores given to both Thassa and Erebos. Thassa's abilities are huge; scry 1 does not seem like much, but every time I played it, it made sure that if I needed a land, I got it, and if I didn't need it, I didn't get it. Because the ability goes off at upkeep, it makes drawing what you want a lot easier. The Unblockable is also huge value. There were a lot of times when I could just race the opponent when his creatures started outclassing mine, because I could stack up Bestow creatures and make the big guy unstoppable. I won every game that Thassa landed, and I never once got to make her a creature; she was just that good. Definitely a 4.0.

Erebos, meanwhile, is not as strong in terms of abilities as Thassa, but he is much easier to activate. There are a ton of Black commons with 2 black mana in the cost. Because of this, it is very easy to drop a turn-5 Gray Merchant of Asphodel (another house), activate Erebos, and swing in. I agree that he is not as strong as Thassa, but I think he is at least a 3.0.

Overall, I agree with Mugiwara's other card commentary, but from my personal experience playing with Theros, he is wrong on these issues. From all of the experience I have had (2 Sealed Pre-releases, and then a Draft after the 2nd Sealed), the format is very slow, with big heroes/monsters dominating the game. Every single game I played allowed me to get to 7 mana, unless I was supremely mana-screwed; even in those cases, my opponent made it up that high. Removal was quite scarce, and 4-toughness creatures were extremely strong, as they avoided both regular removal (Lightning Strike and the like) and strong creatures (non-enchanted guys mostly top out around 3/3). As a result, winning mostly came down to stacking up strong Bestow dudes, or hitting Monstrous on a scary bomb. Because of this, I would rate cards that allow you to deal with these things very highly; flying, scry and heroic were the most powerful abilities I saw in play. Thus, I would evaluate things with any of those abilities, as well as heroic enablers, much more highly than in a faster environment (such as the entirety of RtR block, and Gatecrash especially). Just my 2 cents.
    Finally, I've got Red & Green. As for the multicolor + artifacts + lands, I hope to finish them as soon as possible.

RED

Akroan Crusader

A – 4/10
    SET – 1.0/5

As I’ve said before, 1/1’s for 1 need to be able to grow or do something very good in order to be playable. The clock they put on your opponent is almost irrelevant and after a few turns they will be outclassed by any creature on the other side. This one has the “upside” of making more 1/1’s which are also pretty irrelevant in the late game. With cards like Elspeth that can make 3 1/1’s on a +1 you will be more than happy to put 1/1 dudes on the battlefield. With this card, not so much.

Anger of the Gods

B – 6/10
    R – 8/10
    SET – 4.0/5

I like mass removals a lot in limited, especially the red ones with which you can scale the creatures you play to match the removal’s power. Prioritize creatures with toughness that is 4 or greater and you will be able to sort-of “Plague Wind” your opponent. Even if you have to sacrifice one of your own creatures, if you can easily 3-2 or 4-2 your opponent, go for it.

Arena Athlete

A – 8/10
    SET – 2.0 - 2.5/5

Firefist striker was a very powerful creature in Gatecrash limited. But let’s remember that in that format every deck was aggressive. You either had a 2-drop on turn 2 or you basically lost the game. (exaggerating a bit but you get the idea). In Theros, where things have slowed down a bit, this card can be put to good use only in one or two archetypes (aggro & tempo) and can actually target more than one creature if heroic is activated twice or more. Of course, heroic might be a bit harder to activate than battalion was.

Borderland Minotaur

A – 6/10
    SET – 2.0/5

This vanilla is as solid as it gets. 4 mana for 4 power seems very good. In M14, Rumbling Baloth was one of the most important commons in the set. The minotaur has only 3 toughness which will make a little weaker than the Baloth but as we know from the color pie lessons, red doesn’t have much toughness. It usually relies on power to finish the game as soon as possible. Theros limited is more underpowered than M14 which makes me think Borderland Minotaur will be one of the Key vanilla’s of the set, which will be played a lot.

Boulderfall

R – 4/10
    SET – 1.5/5

I don’t really know how to rate this card and not make a mistake. I keep asking myself how much am I willing to pay for a fireball that can go 5 different directions? Using Fireball itself I would add up to a lot of mana but that card was a bomb removal card because it was good anytime on the curve. This card is just not even remotely close to Fireball in the early game. And even in the late game, if you want to hit one target, Fireball costs 6 mana to deal 5 damage while this is 8. Having this as a common I’m sure I’ll see it very often but I’m not gonna maindeck it unless I’m going to play a slower deck. Red doesn’t really play the slow and long game but from time to time that might be what one wants to do. I have really mixed feelings about it, 8 mana is a lot even for Theros limited, to be wasted on a 5 damage to any target common spell.

Coordinated Assault

A – 7/10
    SET – 2.5-3.0/5

This card is a sign that red aggressive is open. It works very well it most heroic creatures in red and helps you finish the game fast or even make profitable blocks. Even you give first strike to 2 mediocre creatures to double block a monster it still seems fine. If one of those creatures has heroic you can still get very good value out of it. The main difference between this red spell and the others we’ve seen in the other colors is that this one costs a whooping 1-mana! That’s right, one mana for so many possibilities. I don’t like playing aggro but this thing will make me seriously thing about that possibility.

Deathbellow Raider

A – 4/10
    SET – 2.0/5

Having 3 toughness is great but the 2 power will not pass through the so many common 3toughness creatures we have seen so far. I don’t believe this will be playable outside of minotaur tribal decks or very aggressive mono or RB decks. Having it later than turn 4-5 won’t do much for you.

Demolish

D – 2/10
    SET – 0.0-0.5/5

No, just don’t. There aren’t many artifacts that demand answers and the one that does (Collosus), gets indestructible on monstruosity activation. As for land destruction, if someone is trying to play 3-4 color deck and you see in game one that he struggles with the mana, you could consider sideboarding this in but I wouldn’t recommend it. Cutting something better from your deck might not be worth it.

Dragon Mantle

A – 5/10
    SET – 1.0-1.5/5

If you have a very fast deck I recommend playing cards like this because of its triple value (Heroic, cheap cantrip, giving a creature firebreathing). Otherwise, I’d play it only if I’m short on playables. Sure, cantrips so cheap are great but if you have a solid 23-card deck don’t think of playing cards like this. The potential for your opponent to 2-1 you is still out there.

Ember Swallower

E – 7/10
    SET – 2.5-3.0/5

I don’t normally rate vanilla creatures so high but a 4/5 for 4 is a big deal. The so-called ability on it seems great against deck which struggle to hit monstruosity on their creatures but otherwise might not be that relevant once you hit 7 mana. I’m not calling this an evasive creatures but it is definitely a very efficient one. He is also a minotaur, for what it’s worth.

Fanatic of Mogis

E – 7/10
    A – 9/10
    SET – 3.0/5

This Mogis character seems to be bringing a lot of power in the first set. He will definitely be the Red-Black god in one of the latter sets in the block and hopefully as good as its creatures promise. Fanatic is a build-around be as was Mogis’s Marauder. If you get enough devotion you can kill your opponent just by dropping this creature into play. It is close to Gray Merchant of Asphodel in power level. It’s more of a matter of which color can bring more devotion to the table. Maro stated that Green & Black have the most devotion cards so that might be an answer of what’s the stronger card. Still, packing a 4/2 body on 4 mana seems very good, and I believe, unpassable.

Firedrinker Satyr

E – 6/10
    SET – 2.5/5

Jackal Pup is back and this time it brings much more power. If you’re the aggressive player you won’t care that much about the possible life loss. Until your opponent drops a creature you can get good value out of the Satyr. If it hits for 4-6 in the early it is worth the while. The crazy thing is that this card remains relevant even in the late game. If it’s not blocked, it can pump itself to a 5/1 or 6/1 pretty easy.

Flamespeaker Adept

E – 5/10
    A – 8/10
    Set – 2.0 - 3.0/5

When I first saw this card I really hoped there would be a lot more of creatures that activate on scry. As it is, It might be a build around me card that fits best in U/R decks that have a lot of scry cards and tempo spells. I’m willing to bet it will be a very good card moving forward, especially in draft where you can get all the best pieces mixed with 2-3 of these.

Hammer of Purphoros

B – 3/10
    E – 6/10
    SET – 3.0/5

I would take this first pick and not look back. Giving all of my following creatures haste is not something worthy of playing in limited. (Fervor was almost never played). When the same card that gives your creatures haste for 3 mana, has the ability to pump out 3/3’s in the late game at a cost of 3 mana and a land, I’ll definitely play it. This card can give you a lot of card advantage in a longer game. Red doesn’t want to go in the late game but with the Hammer you have yourself an assurance that you can do something relevant once you get to that stage of the game.

Ill-Tempered Cyclops

A – 6/10
    SET – 1.5-2.0/5

This is no more than a Hill Giant with trample that can transform into a 6/6 trampler when you get to 6 mana. It is definitely playable though nothing exciting. It is a very nice curve filler.

Labyrinth Champion

A – 8/10
    SET – 1.0 -2.5/5

This ranges from borderline playable in decks that can’t target it (a 2/2 for 4 that does nothing is very bad) to a very awesome card if it’s in the right deck (Heroic deck or one that has enough auras+spells to target it). 2 damage on each activation is powerful, hence the rarity. If it would have had a lower rarity, I believe many would have forced heroic just because of how insane this card is.

Lightning Strike

R – 8/10
    SET – 3.0/5

If we take a look at past sets we will see that many of the removal spells from the past have been nerfed really hard in the last few sets. Burn based removal stays as strong as ever (Incinerate costed the same 5-6 years ago). In terms of common removal power level this is the best, for a mere 2-mana investment. I like first picking burn spells that hit for 2-3 in all formats and in this one I won’t make an exception.

Magma Jet

R – 7/10
    SET – 3.0/5

I’d normally rate a 2-damage burn spell lower than a 3-damage one but Magma Jet is not a normal burn spell. It has scry 2 on it which can be very relevant in a game, no matter what strategy you are playing. It fixes your draws much better than all the Scry 1’s that have been printed in Theros. I’d first pick this, also. I believe it is a better pick than the Lightning Strike although I might be wrong.

Messenger’s Speed

A – 3/10
    SET – 0.5/5

Another heroic enabler which I do not particularly like. The firebreather aura was also a cantrip which was very powerful on a 1-mana aura. This card gives trample and haste for a card investment that doesn’t replace itself. I wouldn’t play this even in an aggressive deck. It just feel bad.

Minotaur Skullcleaver

A – 7/10
    SET - 2.0/5

A very nice filler for minotaur & red decks that brings a lot of power when it hits the battlefield. 4 power can push through almost anything in this format. I’d play this in most builds that need it.

Ordeal of Purphoros

A – 8/10
    SET – 2.5/5

This is probably the best Ordeal (or tied to the blue one) because it not only is the color that needs it the most but it can also act as removal or finisher once you sacrifice it. Very good & playable card.

Peak Eruption

D – 1/10
    SET – 0.0/5

Even if I see a Chained to the Rocks in my opponent’s deck in game 1 I wouldn’t think of playing this against it. It is that bad, not worth any slot in a deck.

Portent of Betrayal

A – 5/10
    SET – 1.5/5

Act of treason effect are great with sacrifice outlets and so far we haven’t seen many in Theros. Therefore I’ll go ahead and say that this card will either play the role Act of Treason played in Gatecrash (as a pseudo-finisher) or it will just not be played. The scry is nice but I believe it’s not worth the extra mana investment.

Priest of Iroas

A – 5/10
    SET – 2.0/5

I’m sure that this card will grow in value once the entire block is out and there will be a lot more powerful enchantments. For now it deals pretty well with all the bestowers. This is a 1/1 for 1 that has a powerful ability which makes it playable.

Purphoros, God of the Forge

B – 8/10
    SET – 4.0-4.5/5

This card is worth the hype. At least in limited where creatures are kings, your deck will usually pack 15+ creatures. That means that Purphoros can do a lot of work. It can pump your entire army and hits for 2 when a creatures enter the battlefield under your control. That’s awesome in limited. Once you get your devotion going, it is an unstoppable 6/5 indestructible. Pretty cool, pretty bomby!

Purphoros’s Emissary

E – 7/10
    SET – 3.0/5

This might not be the greatest emissary but it is still very powerful. The ability it gives is not that relevant in the late game because bestowed creatures are already double-triple blocked just because of how massive they are. The good thing is that it can’t be chumped easily with small creatures. That strategy won’t work well for your opponent, that’s for sure. As a 3/3 Madcap skills on wheels for 4 mana seems the way to play this card. It makes it more dangerous since your opponent won’t have as many blockers as he might possibly have in the late game.

Rage of Purphoros

R – 5/10
    SET – 2.0/5

Removal is removal but sometimes we just have to draw a line. Lash of the Whip was much better because it could get around indestructible, regeneration and it was a instant. The Rage of Purphoros has scry on it but that doesn’t change the fact that the card is pretty weak. Since it is 5 mana it will mostly be used in the late but it will fail to deliver once creatures have grown past 4 toughness. Maybe with some combat damage inflincted on a creature it can remove it in the second main but that sounds a bit sketchy. I’d prefer it to be an instant or be able to deal damage to a player instead of having the scry non-regeneration clause, but it is what it is.

Satyr Rambler

A – 5/10
    SET – 2.0/5

A 2/1 trampler sounds pretty fishy. These are usually cards that want to grow. Having trample on a 2/1 does not serve much purpose unless there are good ways of making it grow. Luckily, Theros has a lot of auras and growth spells that work very good with the Satyr. I believe it to be one of the better commons for a red aggressive deck.

Spark Jolt

R – 3/10
    SET – 1.0-1.5/5

Burn spells that don’t deal at least 2 damage are not that great but this one can be pretty useful your creatures are close in stats(one damage can go a long way) or when you need to trigger heroic on a 2/2 or so. I’m not saying it is the best way to use the spell but you could actively do that and get some extra value with heroic from your creature and with scry. It shouldn’t be kept too much in your hand, just rarely an opponent remains at a mere 1 life. I wouldn’t play more than 1 of these.

Spearpoint Oread

A – 6/10
    SET – 1.5-2.0/5
    One of the worst bestow cards it is still very much playable. A 2/2 first strike for 3 is nothing great. This is why you will almost always try to bestow this onto something. That’s when you get great value out of it. Try to look at it as a 6 mana spell always and put in the deck in that slot. At 3 it doesn’t do much.

Stoneshock Giant

B – 6/10
    E – 9/10
    SET – 3.5 - 4.0/5

This is definitely one of the best uncommons of the set. I’m rating it this high because the monstruosity activation will win you the game on the spot in 90% of the games. Of course, you need to get to 8 mana to do that but remember that it is by default a 5/4 for 5 mana. That is a very good deal from the start.

Stormbreath Dragon

B – 7/10
    SET – 3.5-4.0/5

Another bomby creature for your deck. This one does not have a very relevant monstruosity activation but as a 7/7 flyer it surely looks scary enough. Protection from white is good since there are at least two great removal spells that it dodges (Vanquish the Foul & Divine Verdict).

Titan of Eternal Fire

B – 6/10
    SET – 3.5/5

Titan of Eternal Fire does not only tell a great ancient greek story (Prometheus) but it is also a build-around card with high reward. If you manage to have at least 3-4 humans out you can kill almost any creature your opponent has with 3-4 red mana. That is a powerful effect!

Titan’s Strength

A – 5/10
    SET – 1.0 - 1.5/5

This is a decent pump spell, similar to Giant Growth that can also scry for 1. I will assume It is very good in heroic decks and just good in other decks.

Two-headed Cerberus

A – 7/10
    SET – 2.0-2.5/5

I wouldn’t rate this card that high if it wouldn’t have been for all the pump/aura spells of the set. If its power stays 1 for too long than you have definitely done something wrong in your deckbuilding. A dream-like situation would be to bestow the blue emissary and draw two cards after you’ve done some damage (8 damage!). A normal case should be to give it firebreathing with the aura cantrip or to give it at least +1/+0 with Scourgemark.

Wild Celebrants

A – 8/10
    E – 5/10
    SET – 2.0-2.5/5

5 power is something that will tear through other commons/uncommons with no fear. It is that strong. The ability to destroy an artifact is just a welcomed bonus ability. Even if it doesn’t destroy anything it is still powerful for a common. With this card I’ll end my red review but I want to make one small remark. After reviewing all red cards I’ve come to the conclusion that Red has a very strong class of latter-drop (4+) creatures. This leads me to believe that it is not the most aggressive color in Theros. That spot goes to white which has many more good low drops. Also, it is good to remember when drafting red that there is a chance that the 4-5-6 slots will get clogged with good creatures so pick accordingly.
    RED STATS - Commons
    MANA COST
    1 Akroan dude (1) – 1/1
    Priest of Iroas (1) – 1/1
    2 Satyr Trampler (2) – 2/1
    Deathbellow Rairder(2) – 2/3
    3 Minotaur Skullcleaver – 2/2 HASTE
    Spearpoint Oread – 2/2 First Strike
    Two-headed Cerberus – 1 / 2 Double Strike
    4Borderland Minotaur– 4/3
    Ill-tempered Cyclops – 3/3
    5 Wildcelebrants Cerberus – 5/3

RED STATS - Uncommons
    1 –
    2 Arena Athlete – 2/1
    3 Flamespeaker Adept – 2/3
    4 Fanatic of Mogis – 4/2
    Purphoros’s Emissary – 3/3
    5 Stoneshock Giant – 5/4

RED POWER & TOUGHNESS
    AVG power for commons: 2.30
    AVG toughness for commons: 2.10
    AVG power for commons + uncommons: 2.60
    AVG toughness for commons + uncommons: 2.266

RED - TOP 5 COMMONS:
    5.Satyr Rambler
    4.Spearpoint Oread
    3.Borderland Minotaur
    2.Two-Headed Cerberus
    1.Lightning Strike

RED - TOP 5 UNCOMMONS:
    5.Arena Athlete
    4.Ordeal of Purphoros
    3.Magma Jet
    2.Fanatic of Mogis
    1.Stoneshock Giant

GREEN

Agent of Horizons

A – 6/10
    SET – 2.5/5

This card is one that I believe is pretty strong, especially in the late game(if you can actually pay blue to make it unblockable). I would always try to make a small splash of blue for it(if I’m not G/U) because otherwise it will just be a 3/2 vanilla which while not awesome it is not great either.

Anthousa, Setessan Hero

B – 5/10
    SET – 2.5/5

This is not the bomb green players have dreamt playing in the pre-release. She is pretty fine (having the possibility to make an army of lands seems cool) but at the 5 mana cost and at rare we would have expected her stats to a be a little better(at least 5/5) and her ability to not be so easily trumped. 2/2’s can be good if you can transform 6-7 lands but that requires a lot of fuel only to heroic her in the late game.

Arbor Colossus

B – 6/10
    SET – 3.0/5

If it wouldn’t have costed triple green, this guy could have easily been a 3.5-4.0. His restrictive cost makes it better in a deck that doesn’t splash and that plays heavily on the green side. Other than that he is a strong bomby creature that can come as a 6/6 on turn 5 or earlier(with mana dorks) and can stop the entire air assault. Activating monstruosity onto seems like a bonus. Picking a flyer here and there is very possible.

Artisan’s Sorrow

R – 4/10
    A – 7/10
    SET – 2.0/5

While I normally don’t rate artifact/enchantment destruction as removal, green doesn’t have much creature removal and it is the best color at destroying artifacts or enchantments so I think I can see myself even maindecking this card when I’m playing green. If I can’t kill normal creatures I can at least kill the bestowed creatures. Scry 2 + instant speed are very nice abilities that really compensate the higher cost of 4 mana.

Boon Satyr

E – 5/10
    A - 8/10
    SET – 3.0/5

Boon Satyr is probably the best card with bestow for constructed. Limited wise it lacks something that makes it great. While the ratio between mana cost and efficiency is definitely there, for limited the effect is more important that the mana cost. Of course, flash is what puts it over the top in constructed and that is what will help it in limited games also but the 4/2 stats aren’t as amazing. I believe this is a bestow card that you will rarely want to cast it as a 4/2. 4 power is definitely great in this limited environment but the 2 toughness is lackluster. We definitely need more to be able to keep our Satyr alive more.

Bow of Nylea

B – 7/10
    SET – 4.0/5

What we have here is our first legitimate bomb for green. It does not seem amazing but being able to chose between different abilities (4!) has always been something nice even if the abilities weren’t that great. That’s why charms are so great. How about choosing each and every turn for only two mana?. How about, on top of that, you can give all your attackers deathtouch? The first ability seems the best (adding counters over a longer game tends to lead to an easy win). Killing flyers from time to time seems a good tool, while gaining life can help you race and refilling your deck helps you go for the extra-longer game.

Centaur Battlemaster

E – 7/10
    B – 5/10
    SET – 3.0/5

This creature is no joke. It is most assuredly first pickable and you can build around it easily. Get all there is to target this creatures because you can even have a 12/12 on turn 6 (with the right tools) It does not have trample, which is a shame, but it turns into The Abyss quite fast.

Commune with the Gods

A – 4/10
    SET – 1.5/5

I don’t like cards with such an effect that much. If you don’t have ways to bring it back from your graveyard that you’re probably much better without it. Even Grisly Salvage, while it was a superstar in standard, in limited it rarely mattered and when you did decide to play it you knew that there was a chance to help you finding the lands to not miss your land drops. Commune with the Gods does not even let you take a land from the top 5. Of course you will almost always find a creature but I ‘d much rather draw it naturally.

Defend the Hearth

D – 4/10
    SET – 0.5/5

A fog effect which I don’t believe it’s worth playing. Fog effects are nice at times and you can have a good day when you cast it against an enlarged creature but most of the time it will just be a card that does nothing.

Fade into Antiquity

R – 5/10
    A – 7/10
    SET – 1.5 - 2.0/5

The spells that destroy an enchantment or artifact are much better usually except for 2 possible situations. If your opponent has a God in his deck or if your opponent has Colossus of Akros. In all other situations you will most likely prefer an additional 3 life, or a scry2 instead of having that enchantment/artifact exiled. That said, beware of those gods, from what I’ve heard, they’re pretty good and very hard to get rid of. This and Annul are probably the only spells in the set that get rid of them at lower cost.

Feral Invocation

A – 6/10
    SET – 2.0-2.5/5

Seeing more flash cards in green makes me happy. They’ve always said flash is primarly in green but until now I haven’t seen much of that at common. This card shows that they’re on the right path with flash. Green does need it the most and this card shows exactly why. Would it have been only a +2/+2 for 3 enchantment it would not be very playable. As it is, I’d play it in all my green decks and be happy about it. It serves as a trick that gives permanent buff to my creature. I’ll easily take it.

Hunt the Hunter

D – 2/10
    SET – 0.5/5

This is a sideboard-only card. You not only need to play against green but you also need to have your own green creature on the battlefield. Talk about conditional spells…Side it only against mirror green decks with a lot of creatures. I believe it’s very hard to play it in draft, because there can only be so many green players.

Karamatra’s Acolyte

E – 7-8/10
    SET – 3.0-3.5/5
    I’m willing to say that this is one of the best support for monstruosity out there. This cute little lady is going to help all monsters get to their true form. In a normal limited format, you’ll usually not care about ramping over 6-7 mana. This time around you would really love to be able to pay 8 for an activation of monstruosity and also have some extra mana to spare. Once the Acolyte is out, it is easier than ever to play your cards because she can give at least 2-3 G at a time.

Leafcrown Dryad

A – 7/10
    SET – 2.0/5

Solid 2-drop which for a cheap 4 mana can act as an enchantment and still live as a spider afterwards. Reach might seem mediocre but againt all those annoying flyers that blue have showed, I’m sure she’ll do a lot of work.

Miscutter Hydra

B – 6/10
    E – 7/10
    SET – 2.5-3.0/5

In limited is not amazing to have a “can’t be countered” ability. Other than that, both protection from a color and haste do a lot of work. Having it as a scalable creature just makes it very flexible and powerful.

Nemesis of Mortals

E – 7/10
    SET – 3.0/5

If you can fill your GY with creatures(Commune with the Gods) it is a shoe-in powerful creature. While Commune with the Gods is not something every green deck wants, the deck that has Nemesis might just want it. Even if you don’t have the Commune, you are still fine casting this for 4-5 mana later on and being able to activate monstrosity pretty fast. It can be a very powerful creature that ends games.

Nessian Asp

E – 7/10
    SET – 3.0/5

The Asp is one of the best commons hands-down from the entire set. Being 5-mana is usually harder to cast. In Theros I do not believe this to be a big problem. You’ll have your 4/5 on the table before the game ends. And once you have this snake out, the game starts to go into your direction because almost nothing surpasses this in power. It is such a huge blocker that can easily go into offensive and can turn into an 8/9 very easy. It helps you go to 7 mana all by himself.

Nessian Courser

A – 7/10
    SET – 2.5/5

This Nessians seem to be very efficient creatures. While the Asp might be the best common in Theros, the Courser is probably the best vanilla creature in Theros. 3/3 for 3 is best both for attacking and for blocking in the early game. I would probably maindeck this all the time, just because how efficient his stats are.

Nylea, God of the Hunt

B – 6-7/10
    SET – 3.0-3.5/5

I can’t say that Nylea isn’t a bomb. She truly is. Her ability can mess hard with combat. It gives trample and pump all while preparing to be a 6/6 indestructible beater. Any god is very powerful in limited. She might be the worst of the bunch, but she’s still a kick-ass card.

Nylea’s Disciple

A – 7/10
    SET – 2.5/5

It comes in at least as a 3/3 for 4 that gains a minimum of 2 life. That’s fine. I’m not sure if I’d play this over Nessian Courser but I probably would just play both. Curving out seems good with these two. He is better alongside Nylea because it is a more devoted character(GG in the mana cost).

Nylea’s Emissary

E – 6/10
    SET – 3.0-3.5/5

Trample has always been an underrated ability. This card is a real deal. Giving +3/+3 and Trample to creature could mean the end for the opposing side. It is a powerful ability and should not be underestimated While it might be worse than the Blue one(arguably), it is for sure better than the others.

Nylea’s Presence

D – 7/10
    SET – 1.0/5

Multicolor decks have their fixing right here. It is the very best piece of fixing for Green-multicolor decks. It cycles itself and it gives you acces to any color. Value it highly only if you plan on going 3+ colors. In a 2-color deck(which will be the norm) don’t even consider playing it. Maybe it’s good with an activated ability such as the one on Agent of Horizons but I think I’d go with a basic Island instead.

Ordeal of Nylea

A – 7/10
    SET – 2.0/5

Green has a lot of pump in its arsenal but there’s always place for more. I’d play the Ordeal in most green builds but I wouldn’t be thrilled about the final ability. Giving me 2 lands is great for monstrosities but then again, if I’m playing monstrosity and not heroic, I’m much better without any ordeal. Putting ordeal on a monstrous creature does not see very wise. Putting it on a heroic creature sounds much better.

Pheres-Band Centaur

A – 8/10
    SET – 2.5/5

This thing has a very big butt. It doesn’t get bigger than this. It sets a bar that’s harder to surpass even by the largest of monsters, at least until they activate monstrosity. I’ll play Pheres-Band Centaur in my green decks, at least at the beginning of the format till I figure out how big everything can get.

Polukranos, World Eater

B - 8/10
    SET – 3.5-4.0/5

This an Karametra’s Acolyte! Anyone? Yes, Polukranos is a bomb that can eat creatures and get bigger while doing that. Making it a 9/9 and getting rid of two 2-toughness creatures seems like the best cast scenario. That requires 9 mana. It is not that much, considering the other monstrosities activate at 7-8 range. The upside on this one might be much better. Of course, getting a 3 toughness creature while putting 3 counters on it seems pretty good too. Don’t forget, as a 5/5 for 4 is pretty above the curve already without any help from its ability.

Reverent Hunter

E – 5/10
    A – 7/10
    SET – 2.5/5

This can be as big as a 6/6 or 7/7 but in truth, you will have it as a 4/4. It requires only 2 additional G’s. Remember to have a lot of green permanents in your deck when you play this.

Satyr Hedonist

A – 6/10
    SET – 2.0/5

2-drops will always have some value in Limited. For Theros I think they’re playable since you can just pump them later on with bestow, ordeals or other auras. The ability on this one is relevant when you need to activate a monstrosity or when you need to cast a more expensive card.

Satyr Piper

E – 5/10
    A – 9/10
    SET – 3.0/5

There’s a reason why this little 2/1 got put at uncommon and has its ability so expensive. Making your opponent block your creatures, even if you can’t choose with what he/she has to block can be a pretty huge swing in the game. I really think he will be a great player in limited.

Savage Surge

A – 5/10
    SET – 2.0/5

Just a year has passed and this combat trick has been moved from uncommon to common. Be ready to see more of this card as Theros limited unfolds. We will learn to play around it this time around. The untap clause on it is very strong and can lead(as it did in RTR) to some blowouts. It will mostly be used defensively but imagine having this to activate heroic on your tapped creature and kill an opposing creature which is on the attack. Any two green mana untapped could mean bad news for an attacker.

Sedge Scorpion

E – 5/10
    A – 7/10
    SET – 2.5/5

Deathtouch is much more valuable now than it was in other formats. That is because we now have a lot of good auras and fewer removals. Therefore, deathtouch creatures will act as removal or game stallers much more than in the past. This little scorpion is going to be a role player in the limited environment.

Shredding Winds

A – 4/10
    SET – 1.0/5

Plummet variant. Might be much better in Theros than I give it credit for.

Staunch-Hearted Warrior

A – 7/10
    SET – 2.0-2.5/5

The little battlemaster is pretty awesome. Getting 2 counters on any target means that we can get good value out of this 4 drop with only 1 target. A 4/4 for 4 is definitely good. If you get past that line and make it a 6/6 it becomes bomby.

Sylvan Caryatid

A - 6/10
    SET – 3.0/5

I’ve always liked dorks in limited. This card though, has the added value of giving any color and being able to hold off any 2 power creature. Hexproof is perfect against those who try to keep you off your mana.

Time to Feed

R – 7/10
    SET – 2.5/5

This is the usual fight removal at common for green. While I would have settled with Prey Upon, this card still feels ok since the environment is much slower. A good thing to remember is that it also helps your heroic guys by activating their ability. It is a spell and it targets one of your creatures.

Voyaging Satyr

A – 7/10
    SET – 2.5/5
    Similar to Sylvan Caryatid in many ways, this Satyr comes as a weaker dork but still efficient one. It is not able to block well, to give you colors that your lands could not produce or to protect himself from removal but in terms of accelerating it has the same speed as the Caryatid.

Vulpine Goliath

E – 5/10
    A – 7/10
    SET – 2.5/5

This is one big fox. 6/5 trample for 6? Sounds good. I would play it in my green decks. It even helps devotion. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – Don’t underestimate trample.

Warrior’s Lesson

A – 7/10
    SET – 2.0/5

This trick has no interaction with combat damage but what it is capable of doing is creating you a lot of card advantage for just 1 mana. You can draw 1-2 cards and activate different heroic abilities. It is a trick I’m willing to play in green since it is the color where card advantage combined with big creatures could easily lead to your opponent’s demise.

GREEN STATS - Commons

MANA COST
    Sedge Scorpion – 1/1
    Leafcrown Dryad - 2/2 reach
    Voyaging Satyr – 1 / 2
    Satyr Hedonist – 2/1
    Agent of Horizons– 3/2
    Nessian Courser – 3/3
    Nylea’s Disciple – 3/3
    Staunch Hearted Warrior – 2/2
    Nessian Asp – 4/5
    Pheres-Band Centaurs - 3/7
    Vulpine Goliath – 6/5 Trample

GREEN STATS - Uncommons
    MANA COST
    1 -
    2 -
    Satyr Piper– 2/1
    Nylea’s Emissary – 3/3
    Karametra’s Acolyte– 1 / 4
    Centaur Battlemaster - 3/3
    Nemesis of Mortals – 5/5

GREEN POWER & TOUGHNESS
    AVG power for commons: 2.72
    AVG toughness for commons: 3.00
    AVG power for commons + uncommons: 2.81
    AVG toughness for commons + uncommons: 3.06

GREEN - TOP 5 COMMONS:

5.Voyaging Satyr
    4.Agent of Horizons
    3.Sedge Scorpion
    2.Nessian Courser
    1.Nessian Asp

GREEN - TOP 5 UNCOMMONS:
    5.Warrior's Lesson
    4.Satyr Piper
    3.Nylea's Emissary
    2.Centaur Battlemaster
    1.Karametra's Acolyte
    Last edited by Mugiwara: 9/26/2013 2:17:44 PM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes