Underworld Cerberus

http://media-dominaria.cursecdn.com/attachments/111/937/635201278078125386.jpg
    Underworld Cerberus - 3BR

Cant be blocked except by three or more creatures.

Cards in graveyard cant be target of spells or abilities.

When Underworld Cerberus dies, exile it and each players returns all creature from graveyards to his or her hand.

6/6

I think that together with Rescue from the underworld this is easily the most powerful and flavorful card spoiled. I mean, he's a 6/6 that cant actually be blocked for 5 mana. And when he dies he becomes a mass recovery card. This is actually pretty broken and could end up damaging Scavengin Ooze as the number 1 reason because no one plays reanimator this days. This is Standard playable for sure.
    Im not english, forgive me if i write something wrong.
    Initially the spoiler said he cost 8RB and I was complaining about how incredibly terrible it was. At 3RB it's MUUUUUUCCCHHHH better. The flavor is out of the park perfect as well, I feel the quote in my sig pretty well sums up my feelings on the flavor of this card.
    Quote from Sojourner
    The flavor oozes off this card like a fat stack of KFC Doubledowns in the desert.

Weird is my definition of the card XD

Perhaps Legacy will pack a picnic for him plus Flash in a bulk-reanimator-attempt.

Edit: My bad, I read it as put those creatures from Yard unto Field, not hand. Continue if you please Smile
    Although, someone did mention this:

If an opponent does triple chump to kill him, they'd get their blockers back.\ in hand. A bit of a tempo hit, but not card disadvantage unless they are tokens.
    Quote from drewdagreek
    Although, someone did mention this:

If an opponent does triple chump to kill him, they'd get their blockers back.\ in hand. A bit of a tempo hit, but not card disadvantage unless they are tokens.

Yeah and RB has access to a lot of good removal. How often is your opponent going to have 3 creatures on board with 6+ power? Even so, you get all your creatures back too. This card is nuts. Going to see a ton of play, and it absolutely demolishes control archetypes. I hate cards like this that just undo's all the CA the control player has built up over the course of the game. If you're going to have cards like this, at least give Control Cruel Ultimatum type cards.
    Quote from Aegraen
    Yeah and RB has access to a lot of good removal. How often is your opponent going to have 3 creatures on board with 6+ power? Even so, you get all your creatures back too. This card is nuts. Going to see a ton of play, and it absolutely demolishes control archetypes. I hate cards like this that just undo's all the CA the control player has built up over the course of the game. If you're going to have cards like this, at least give Control Cruel Ultimatum type cards.

I think this describes his most potent use. Top end of the curve for an aggro deck, he is basically a 6/6 unblockable for 5...that gets all of your dudes back when he dies. Makes life really tough for a traditional control deck, but they will have options (like Detention Sphere and co, which exile instead of kill).
    Oh, so Control would have to SB some graveyard-hate in to keep their advantage if they be so stupid as to kill this creature. Oh poor them, buuhuu.
    Quote from Golden
    I think this describes his most potent use. Top end of the curve for an aggro deck, he is basically a 6/6 unblockable for 5...that gets all of your dudes back when he dies. Makes life really tough for a traditional control deck, but they will have options (like Detention Sphere and co, which exile instead of kill).

IMVHO Desecration Demon (6/6 evasive for 4) is still the better deal for actual aggro. 4 vs 5 mana is a huge difference. I think this guy would be more at home in some sort of Jund midrange. You would be able to break the symmetry by emptying your opponent's graveyard with scooze.
    Last edited by makochman: 9/1/2013 6:51:30 AM
    Quote from Tzefick
    Oh, so Control would have to SB some graveyard-hate in to keep their advantage if they be so stupid as to kill this creature. Oh poor them, buuhuu.

Yeah, Control would be so stupid as to want to kill a 6/6 unblockable (if you notice, control plays almost no creatures). Silly them. Oh, also you would have to play GY-hate BEFORE he enters the battlefield because he gives shroud to GY's. The GY-hate also has to be mass-removal, so pretty much only Crypt Incursion is playable, and somewhat at that. I think the best control can hope for is to have your opponent have this in their hand while you Thoughtseize them (or Essence Scatter it...). Of course, they're as likely to draw into him as you would be able to 'Seize it from them. Hopefully Burning Earth and the Theros duals make Tri-color decks unplayable, otherwise you're going to have deal with stuff like Garruk Caller, Domri, + guys like this.

I bet you would be singing the opposite tune if Ponder/Preordain/JtMS were spoiled.
    Last edited by Aegraen: 9/1/2013 6:54:32 AM
    Quote from Tzefick

Yes Crypt Incursion, Rest in Peace and Merciless Eviction exist. Doesnt change the fact that this is a huge beater because you wont have those cards in hand every time and not killing it means taking 6 every turn. Like already mentioned Cerberus plus scavening ooze has potential but time will tell if 3 color decks are even viable.

My Modern Decks
    UWRUWR ControlUWR
    BGRJundBGR
    UBRCruel ControlUBR
    UBFaeriesUB
    UMono-U TronU
    ...yeeeah, so best card in the set for Standard so far, not even close.

I wonder what can top this in a midrange deck?
    Quote from makochman
    IMVHO Desecration Demon (6/6 evasive for 4) is still the better deal for actual aggro. 4 vs 5 mana is a huge difference. I think this guy would be more at home in some sort of Jund midrange. You would be able to break the symmetry by emptying your opponent's graveyard with scooze.

That's a good point. You get ramp and the Ooze, which he really wants to be playing with. Then he acts like a one-sided value machine for you? Seems pretty good. I also like the fact that he will generally be getting back better stuff for you in that deck than in aggro.
    Quote from Golden
    That's a good point. You get ramp and the Ooze, which he really wants to be playing with. Then he acts like a one-sided value machine for you? Seems pretty good. I also like the fact that he will generally be getting back better stuff for you in that deck than in aggro.

He gives shroud to all cards in all graves, so to use him with ooze, you would have to strip their yard before playing him. And there is the slight window while he is dying that you can hit them, but with 3 colors you likely won't have that much open.
    Quote from Jump
    He gives shroud to all cards in all graves, so to use him with ooze, you would have to strip their yard before playing him.

Doesn't seem that difficult. And it isn't like you have to strip all creatures, just those that are problematic for you. (i.e. against aggro you might happily ignore their 1-2 drops but make sure you get rid of their scarier 3+ CMC stuff)
    Everyone seems to be missing that the card stops cards in graveyards from being targeted. That stops scavenging ooze, deathrite shaman, reanimation strategies, extirpate, and a host of other cards that either rely on or counter graveyard based strategies.

5cmc means it won't stop early activations of these things, or most combos probably, but I think it's significant.
    i think burning earth and the probably worse colorfixing wont make many 3-color decks viable.
    but time will tell.

@topic: seems like an awesome card, but still not sure in what kind of deck you want to play him Smile
    I thought this was 8BR from the spoiler page last night and was like, well, this thing sucks... At 3BR though, DAMN. This thing is downright amazing.
    People...in Jund midrange this will absolutely dominate...

Scavenging Ooze plus this bad boy = 1 sided game...
    Quote from wrduardo
    People...in Jund midrange this will absolutely dominate...

Scavenging Ooze plus this bad boy = 1 sided game...

Theros comes in when Jund loses it's best cards. Thragtusk, Olivia, Huntmaster, Bonfire, Lil' Lili, Nighthawk, etc. There is no Jund Midrange when Cerebrus comes in
    Standard:

TBD...
    Quote from Sanguine
    Theros comes in when Jund loses it's best cards. Thragtusk, Olivia, Huntmaster, Bonfire, Lil' Lili, Nighthawk, etc. There is no Jund Midrange when Cerebrus comes in

No, Jund Midrange has to adapt when Theros comes in.
    Quote from jedimindtricks

Now, if we could just get that goblin walker. Preferably before the part in the storyline where he planeswalked right into Progenitus.

On the Subject of Master Biomancer:
    Quote from Lully
    That mythic is very mythic. Pillarfield ox has returned with a vengeance.

Many thanks to DNC at Heroes of the Plane Studios
    Quote from Sanguine

Not really, we don't know what is coming up here. This little doggy gives Jund real potential again. The new Jund build will probably be a bit different to the current one, but there will be a Jund deck in standard. Combining the best removal and creatures in the format, with cards like Thoughtseize... yeah there will be a Jund deck.

What Jund does need is a good lifelink creature, or life gainer. Right now the best is the Bow of Nylea and that probably isn't good enough for Junds needs.
    ShiroShinobi, you seem to have forgotten that Scavenging Ooze gains you life as it rips apart graveyards & grows.

Jund could use some other lifegain sources, sure. But they aren't going without. And I wonder if Satyr Hedonist might be tested in such a deck to power out dudes faster while potentially gaining some life via ooze.
    Favorite MTG trading website: https:www.pucatrade.com
    Quote from Korlithiel
    ShiroShinobi, you seem to have forgotten that Scavenging Ooze gains you life as it rips apart graveyards & grows.

Jund could use some other lifegain sources, sure. But they aren't going without. And I wonder if Satyr Hedonist might be tested in such a deck to power out dudes faster while potentially gaining some life via ooze.

I did, didn't I... I also realise I forgot Deathrite Shaman who could also make an appearance.

I'm not too big a fan of the Satyr for Jund, I'd rather go with Elvish Mystic. There's no need to rush. A good mid-range Jund deck should be able to win just fine if they get a Cerberus out on turn 4 and an extra G over multiple turns will see you better. However, if the meta is stupidly quick, Satyr Hedonist might not be the worst option.
    Quote from KolbaneX
    No, Jund Midrange has to adapt when Theros comes in.

It's not adaptation when half the mana base, and almost all the creatures are gone, not to mention Farseek, the reason the deck can be good at all. It'll always be called Jund because of the Shard, but it's not going to be near the same deck.
    Quote from Acardus
    ... It's a build but not really a threat to me.
    Quote from Go.dec
    It's not adaptation when half the mana base, and almost all the creatures are gone, not to mention Farseek, the reason the deck can be good at all. It'll always be called Jund because of the Shard, but it's not going to be near the same deck.

Couple this with the fact that Theros has more a of a mono colored theme and Burning Earth is around I find it really questionable if 3 color is viable

My Modern Decks
    UWRUWR ControlUWR
    BGRJundBGR
    UBRCruel ControlUBR
    UBFaeriesUB
    UMono-U TronU
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes