Celestial Flare

Quote from Tormod
    I really don't understand the name of the card. I was thinking it was a red card based on the name. The WW requirement is pretty bad.

The white comes from celestial a la celestial crusader and such. In fact, type in just celestial to magiccards.info and all the cards that come up are white related and none of them involve red actually.

The only drawback to this card is the WW cost. At 1W it would be extremely powerful. At WW it's playable just not insane. I think we'll be seeing a lot of "geist trigger on the stack, celestial flare"
    "Yawgmoth," Freyalise whispered as she set the bomb, "now you will pay for your treachery."

-Freyalise

Currently Playing:
    Legacy:
    UBWRGAll manner of storm comboGRWBU
    Dark Ritual on The Source and Storm Boards
    Notable finishes:
    Top 16 SCG Kansas City Legacy Open 2012 with Burning ANT
    Top 32 SCG Minneapolis Legacy Open 2012 with Burning ANT
    what happens when someone attacks with a gaist of saint traft and i play this? can he sac the angel token, or is no token in play when he has to sac something? when he had to sac the geist this would be fine vs bant hexproof, because now they run this regeneration enchantment sometimes and this card would just destroy their plan.
    Much worse then lets say devour flesh, but may see a little fringe play in standard.
    Quote from Kollegah
    what happens when someone attacks with a gaist of saint traft and i play this? can he sac the angel token, or is no token in play when he has to sac something? when he had to sac the geist this would be fine vs bant hexproof, because now they run this regeneration enchantment sometimes and this card would just destroy their plan.

You can respond to the geist trigger to kill the geist before the token is created.
    Why does it seem like white has access to every mechanic ever?
    Quote from chrstphrbrnnn
    Why does it seem like white has access to every mechanic ever?

WE IT HAVE HAS ALL THE MONEY AND POWER.

This would so much better if it said "an unblocked creature".

As it is, its in Neck Snap tier. Seems worse tbh.
    Playing since 1994. Competing since 2004.
    How you should approach every game of Magic.
    Mod Helpdesk
    My Flawless Score MCC Card | My Other One | # Three!
    Quote from Dire Wombat
    Don't worry Pseudofate, we still love you. No state-based action will ever cause you to become unattached from our hearts.

Quote from S1yDevi1
    Not gonna lie, this made me go half chub.

Quote from DeftJackal
    Lol, only the limited forum would have a thread saying to be nicer to the trolls.
    Depending on how prominent hexproof and indestructible creatures are, this could see a good bit of play. In my opinion.
    Luck isn't the only reason I win. Just most of the reason.
    Quote from Pseudofate
    WE IT HAVE HAS ALL THE MONEY AND POWER.

This would so much better if it said "an unblocked creature".

As it is, its in Neck Snap tier. Seems worse tbh.

You are aware Neck Snap costs 4 mana right?

I really get frustrated when people compare a 2 mana spell to a 4 mana spell.

Feel free to bid on my cards here!
    Quote from Monopoman
    You are aware Neck Snap costs 4 mana right?

I really get frustrated when people compare a 2 mana spell to a 4 mana spell.

You realize this card give you no options right?

It's comparable to Neck Snap in that way. Cost makes no difference. It's card caliber comparison.
    Mod Helpdesk
    Quote from Dire Wombat
    Don't worry Pseudofate, we still love you. No state-based action will ever cause you to become unattached from our hearts.

Quote from S1yDevi1

Quote from DeftJackal
    Lol, only the limited forum would have a thread saying to be nicer to the trolls.
    I like the cut of it's gem, and I hate white. Could see constructed play, I mean it's one of those cards that can be heavily exploited alongside pacify effects and reds "cant block" abilities. And with aggro being what it has been, this card can really shine In a good control deck.

There is buried treasure everywhere...in a graveyard. Golgari
    Quote from Pseudofate
    Shut down the rumor mill. This man has everything under control.
    Two thumbs up. Anyone that doesn't like this card, what would you design for common white removal? Anyone? Didn't think so.
    Quote from pylades
    Two thumbs up. Anyone that doesn't like this card, what would you design for common white removal? Anyone? Didn't think so.

faith's fetters
    pacifism
    journey to nowhere
    oblivion ring
    Quote from pylades

Mod Helpdesk
    Quote from Dire Wombat

Quote from S1yDevi1

Quote from DeftJackal

Thank you, god. White is already too powerful and has too many options, it doesn't need more solid common removal lol. Hoping black is good post Theros, because we know blue won't be itself ever again.
    Quote from Pseudofate
    You realize this card give you no options right?

It's comparable to Neck Snap in that way. Cost makes no difference. It's card caliber comparison.

This card gives you no options?

Huh?

You can only use it when you are being attacked by one creature and in that case it is sometimes better then targeted removal. There is thing called Hexproof and Shroud that make removal like this valuable. Try removing Geist of St. Traft or Invisible Stalker with most of the removal you listed above.

Also this card has cases where its more useful then Smite since sometimes blocking is tough for a number of reasons.

I mean if you are going to rip into this card you might as well attack Diabolic Edict, Devour Flesh etc.. for also giving all the choice to the opponent.

Feel free to bid on my cards here!
    I love it, and would consider some number of these in my modern sideboard for Bogle, Infect, and perhaps Geist
    Quote from Monopoman

Huh?

You can only use it when you are being attacked by one creature and in that case it is sometimes better then targeted removal. There is thing called Hexproof and Shroud that make removal like this valuable. Try removing Geist of St. Traft or Invisible Stalker with most of the removal you listed above.

Also this card has cases where its more useful then Smite since sometimes blocking is tough for a number of reasons.

I mean if you are going to rip into this card you might as well attack Diabolic Edict, Devour Flesh etc.. for also giving all the choice to the opponent.

Devour Flesh isn't very good either.

I think we have a format gap.
    Mod Helpdesk
    Quote from Dire Wombat

Quote from S1yDevi1

Quote from DeftJackal
    Quote from Monopoman

Huh?

It's an ultra narrow removal spell.

I mean, you are comparing it to smite.

Smite is not a good card.

Cards like diabolic edict will always do something.

This requires your opponent to be attacking or blocking.

So it's good in the narrow case of your opponent attacking or blocking with JUST hexproof creatures. ( Otherwise you could always just target one of the non-hexproof )

Narrow answers win games as often as narrow situations arise, which is not often.

You can do so, so much better. This will do nothing to stop a card like kiki-jiki, mirror breaker or melira, sylvok outcast from winning the game.
    Since when is White concerned with destroying creatures through spells? That sounds more like Black or even Red's domain to me. White control has mostly been exiles, tapping, and Pacify effects.
    Quote from Pseudofate
    Devour Flesh isn't very good either.

The decks that cast Devour flesh could care less about opponents gaining life. In the deck's that it is played the card is actually just diabolic edict 9 out of 10 times.
    Quote from mrblump
    The decks that cast Devour flesh could care less about opponents gaining life. In the deck's that it is played the card is actually just diabolic edict 9 out of 10 times.

not to be that guy, but those decks couldN'T care less. If they could care less, then it does matter what the opponent's life total is.
    Quote from Lectrys
    I've seen Dispense Justice see Modern play (in UWR sideboards), and this looks cheaper and nearly strictly better.

The random metalcraft upside is such a blowout that I can't agree with this statement.

Celestial Flare seems alright. Not great, but alright. It won't be doom blade for limited but it will be strong common removal. In constructed, the restriction of casting it means you get destroyed by Voice of Resurgence randomly, though.
    Quote from Kryptnyt
    The random metalcraft upside is such a blowout that I can't agree with this statement.

Celestial Flare seems alright. Not great, but alright. It won't be doom blade for limited but it will be strong common removal. In constructed, the restriction of casting it means you get destroyed by Voice of Resurgence randomly, though.

The only decks in Modern that get Metalcraft fast enough are Affinity, the heavily nerfed Eggs, and probably RG Tron (although Tron likes popping its Eggs pretty fast). Again, I have most commonly seen Dispense Justice in Modern in UWR sideboards, and UWR basically never gets Metalcraft.

Yeah, Celestial Flare seems like sideboard material to me, although it'll be dang fun sideboard material. It can't kill precisely that utility guy, and you don't really want to cast it if they swing or block with Voice. In Modern, however, it does eliminate the problem of UWR flashing in Tiago/Vendilion Clique/Restoration Angel in response to an Edict on Geist of Saint Traft, decks animating manlands in response to Edicts, Bogles fetching for Dryad Arbor in response to Edicts, and sometimes Infect losing Noble Hierarch to an Edict instead of an Infect guy (they can play around Celestial Flare by sticking multiple guys with Infect, although in the losing Hierarch scenario, they lose all their Exalted boosts if they try playing around Flare).
    Sweet, sweet card

Go White Go!
    I'd be pretty tempted to sideboard this in against Ghost Pants in modern to be brutally hones. I am of the opinion that this is an ok card.
    At the end of the day, CMC DOES matter, and we can't honestly expect to see this effect cost less.
    Last edited by Franconbean: 6/13/2013 8:51:04 AM
    MUSE are number one!

Quote from CMoriarty

Time Spiral mashed legs, a beard, and a body desperately in need of a cheeseburger on to Candelabra of Tawnos and gave us Magus if the Candelabra. This guy made people very nervous when he was printed, but it turns out that the difference between spending 1 colorless mana and 1 green mana for this effect is about $100.00. Who knew?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes