Primeval Bounty

I'm intrigued by the new Green mythic:

Primeval Bounty 5G
    Enchantment {M}
    Whenever you cast a creature spell, put a 3/3 green Beast creature token onto the battlefield.
    Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, put three +1/+1 counters on target creature you control.
    Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you gain 3 life.

Also known as "Beast Mode". XD

It's...unusual. 6 mana enchantments usually suck, no matter how good the effect, but this goes off literally everything you do. An extra 3/3 every time you cast a creature? 3 life for every land?

What do you guys think---a pretty-looking dud, or something that could actually be a good card?
    ATTACHMENTS
    • primevalbounty
    Quote from Skellett »
    A giant goat man bursting out of a woods has about 100 less badass points than bursting out of a mountain.

Quote from Skullum »
    that's not what happened at all. kamahl stabbed phage, akroma, and some old lady and they became korona. then korona got stabbed by her "prophets" and kamahl got drunk with a mutant centaur
    I'll definitely be using it. The first 2 effects seem quite powerful and the art is gorgeous.
    This is going to be a ramp staple... love it!
    Particularly good with cards like Sakura-Tribe Elder; Gain an extra 3 life and a 3/3 on top of it already being a very good card.
    Last edited by Ram: 5/18/2013 8:44:40 AM

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.”
    -- Galileo Galilei

If Wizards had wanted a system that fixed sitting on rankings and measured skill they should have used something like Glicko.
    This card is going to be so ridiculous in my Vorel of the Hull Clade edh deck. Just wait till I get this out alongside Doubling Season and Oracle of Mul Daya. Grin

Trades
    Buy/Sale List

I COLLECT FOIL DRAGONS. CHECK MY TRADE LIST. Grin

(Signature courtesy of Argetlam of Hakai Studios
    All these effects seem very weak for turns this will be on the field. Good limited bomb for sure.
    Zomgomg, all rise for the queen of johnies.

I of course LOVE this card!!! With the new ajaini's chosen or whatever, couldnt i play rancor targeting any creature i have, getting a 2/2 cat token, switch rancors target to the cat, and then put 3 counters on the cat for playing a non creature spell? A 7/5 tampler for :symg:. Im certain there are many other uses, but i am so excited about this Grin
    ~
    Nothing but the rain...
    Quote from ShadowFenril
    This card is going to be so ridiculous in my Vorel of the Hull Clade edh deck. Just wait till I get this out alongside Doubling Season and Oracle of Mul Daya. Grin

Pretty much.

Screams EDH, but seems a little slow for Standard unless the format slows considerably.
    This card is a very flavorful homerun from my standpoint.
    5/5

After all, if you cast a zero or one casting cost creature spell for instance you just got a 3/3 body to go with it. Any one casting cost noncreature spell becomes a more permanent giant growth for a creature you control. It also rewards you for ramping, imagine if Primeval Titan was around, then you could possibly get 9 life and three lands per turn.

Teach
    I love this card's art. I love its cool flavor.

But for 6 mana, I prefer to potentially win the game with Aurelia or Sire of Insanity than to allow my topdecks to become better.
    Quote from pandafarmer

Ugh, good riddance... *counter* *counter* *counter* *Keiga* *counter response to Keiga* *Meloku* *counter response to Meloku* *die now*

Quote from Crumpet

"Blightsteel Colossus has indestructible" sounds too much like "Blightsteel Colossus can has cheezburger."
    Fringe playable seems like it'll be the eventual verdict here. It's a midrange trump card, but not as powerful as it seems at first glance. I'd be happier getting the 3/3 token whenever I cast a noncreature spell and the counters when I cast a creature spell... that way I'd never have a dead spell in my hand post-wrath.
    Yeva.EDH.dec is pleased. Grin

I think it's more of a slow-rolling I'll overwhelm you eventually kinda deck, and the requisite Doubling Season will make things silly. Beat your face in with a Fertilid, yo. Or go voltron on someone's arse while swarming another player with beasties :D.
    Kaalia 1v1 - Drana - Yeva - Zegana - Bloodbraid Elf

I'm insanely picky and anal with my generals.
    Great Commander card

Not a whole lot of potential for other constructed formats as of now
    This...may actually be a good ramp finisher. It turns all your rampy elves and other spells into sweet, sweet death, while gaining you 3-6 life a turn. I suspect it's better than people are giving it credit for.
    If God spoke to you, and commanded you to kill your own children, would you do it?

If your answer is "No," then your morality does not come from God's commandments.

If your answer is "Yes," then please, please reconsider.
    Quote from Goryus
    This...may actually be a good ramp finisher. It turns all your rampy elves and other spells into sweet, sweet death, while gaining you 3-6 life a turn. I suspect it's better than people are giving it credit for.

6 mana and does nothing when it comes down unless you are able to cast it without tapping out at which point it's sitting on your hand just waiting

I don't think is BAD but it's not very good in regular constructed formats either.

It's a fun card though
    In how many cases will this end up being better than Garruk Primal Hunter?

Garruk gets out a turn earlier, and can start producing 3/3 tokens immediately. Counters are nice, but they're worthless after a sweeper, or into an empty board.

By the time you can play a 5-6 mana spell, your hand is probably wiped out and you're playing only a card per turn... and with Garruk's second ability, it makes him all the more valuable.
    Quote from Palodios
    In how many cases will this end up being better than Garruk Primal Hunter?

Garruk gets out a turn earlier, and can start producing 3/3 tokens immediately. Counters are nice, but they're worthless after a sweeper, or into an empty board.

By the time you can play a 5-6 mana spell, your hand is probably wiped out and you're playing only a card per turn... and with Garruk's second ability, it makes him all the more valuable.

Garruk, Primal Hunter is one those remaining PWs that "can be borderline absurd in the right build": the argument you make, while spot-on, is one of the reasons why I didn't like PWs for a long while

This is clearly made for Commander in mind

This is clearly made for Commander in mind

just like every other card in m14 Slant
    Standard:
    BWRDEGA MIDRANGEBWR
    Modern:
    RGWUKiki PodRGWU Legacy:
    xMANALESS DREDGEx
    Is this card better than Deadbridge Chant in a Jund sideboard? Admittedly, Chant comes in vs. Midrange/Control matchups, and you actually have to play other spells for this card to do something, but it seems worth testing. I prefer drawing more cards, however.

Perhaps I am simply distracted by all of the things this card COULD do....
    Grin Namer of "Gainlands" --
    can't wait to actually use them!:D
    In terms of limited, its going to let you win any game you untap with it I would assume.

In standard, Aurelia seems to do a lot more at 6, and even the red Primordial at 7 probably has more impact. Trostani's Summoner at 7 also seems better spitting 10 power on 4 bodies over X power + 3 over 2 bodies.

Standard
    Whatever I can borrow

EDH
    WBG Karador GBW
    WUB Sharuum BUW
    R Purphoros R

WBR Modern Burn RBW
    RWR Legacy Goblins (constructing) RWR

This is an excellent card, and I may possibly use it, if I can find room for it in my existing decks. However, I do wish that each ability was optional, since one's opponent could be using strategies that oppose each of the benefits of that card, and I also believe that it should have a more color-intensive cost, since each of those three abilities is a heavily-green ability. Apart from those complaints, however, I am very impressed by this card.

Also, does this card seem to be quite powerful enough to be a mythic rare, or would it have been better as a normal rare?
    “Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither.”-Benjamin Franklin

“When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”-Thomas Jefferson

“A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of its user.”-Theodore Roosevelt

“Patriotism means to stand by one's country; it does not mean to stand by one's president.”-Theodore Roosevelt
    Quote from magicdude
    just like every other card in m14 Slant

Facepalm

The Archangel of Thune definitely looks like has at the very least Standard implications (it could end up being insane with Extort) and you can be sure it has Modern written all over it since it "infinites" with Spike Feeder

The uncounterable rare G instant that gives the next creature spell uncounterable, flash and a +1/+1 counter seems fine in most formats (someone even said they would try it in Legacy!)

The pyromancer that gives you a 1/1 when you cast an instant/sorcery is a fine card

And probably more that I won't boither going into now

If you don't see anything good in what we've seen from M14 so far then you are playing the wrong game
    Facepalm

The Archangel of Thune definitely looks like has at the very least Standard implications (it could end up being insane with Extort) and you can be sure it has Modern written all over it since it "infinites" with Spike Feeder

The uncounterable rare G instant that gives the next creature spell uncounterable, flash and a +1/+1 counter seems fine in most formats (someone even said they would try it in Legacy!)

The pyromancer that gives you a 1/1 when you cast an instant/sorcery is a fine card

And probably more that I won't boither going into now

If you don't see anything good in what we've seen from M14 so far then you are playing the wrong game

well i never said any of them weren't constructed playable so...
    Standard:
    BWRDEGA MIDRANGEBWR
    Modern:
    RGWUKiki PodRGWU Legacy:
    xMANALESS DREDGEx
    They definitely aren't all made with Commander in mind, though, magicdude.
    Funny how one of the black enchantments picked for the "You Make the Card" contest is very similar to this. This is a small theme that is coming around Magic: the trigger for everything effect... aka the "Deathrite Effect" as I'm dubbing. This basically means any card that has an effect from interacting w/ all card types, usually in groups of 3 (creature, land, non-land/non-creature [or instant/sorcery]).

The cards, so far, that have an effect like this are Deathrite Shaman & Druidic Satchel.

I find these cards as a Swiss Army Knife, so to speak. I like them a lot & they hardly ever disappoint. Sure, this enchantment has a cc of 6, but it's still great for EDH, limited, casual, and maybe even a standard deck w/ a lot of ramp.

Come check out my trades!!!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes