Turn em' and Burn em' baby!

I'm officially psyched for this card. Ludicrous Snapcaster utility and a very very solid removal spell as well. I'd spend 5 mana on it easy to get a Thragtusk out of the way with no punishment, or if you get saucy you can pull it in combat and wreck all sorts of faces. It can also go to the dome which is pretty insane. Definitely my favorite card spoiled just on how many awesome things it can do.

Turn // Burn
    :2mana::symu: // :1mana::symr: Instant // Instant
    Target creature loses all abilities and becomes a 0/1 red Weird until end of turn.

//

Burn deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
    Fuse.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

"I love you guys, thanks for comin' to my special."
    - Mitch Hedburg (1968-2005)
    We love you too Mitch, we love you too.

"Girls are like Voltron: the more you stick together, the better it gets." SE
    Yeah a Shock for 1R with the potential for a lot more trickery is at least worth trying in standard.

I mean when a card's absolute worst case is its an overcosted Shock or overcosted Ovinize that is worth looking at.

Feel free to bid on my cards here!
    Yeah sick, sick Snapcaster synergy in the very late game.

Opponent attacks with Thundermaw and Burning-Tree Emissary into your (tapped due to Thundermaw) Resto Angel.

Flash in a Snapcaster, Turn Thundermaw, Burn Emissary. Snapcaster blocks the dragon. Their board wiped, you lose nothing. And this is out of a play they thought would win the game for them.

Edit: Appears I may well have the rules wrong here. Ignore this post (but Turn still does interact well with Snapcaster, just not quite as well)
    Last edited by sirgog: 4/11/2013 2:08:54 AM
    MTG flavour fail of the year:

Quote from Teia Rabishu »

Indestructible Aura is neither.
    You can't flashback and fuse. Fuse is only from your hand.
    loving the turn part of this card. I mean a red weird. comon thats awesome. regardless i think the cards kinda nice, i like how all fuse cards can be used together in a way, but i dont see the value of casting fuse cards for one effect... im not sure maybe im a value hunter. 5 mana to kill off a reckoner or a thragtusk profitably (as they suggested) is for me pushing it a bit.
    Quote from 3p1cness
    loving the turn part of this card. I mean a red weird. comon thats awesome. regardless i think the cards kinda nice, i like how all fuse cards can be used together in a way, but i dont see the value of casting fuse cards for one effect... im not sure maybe im a value hunter. 5 mana to kill off a reckoner or a thragtusk profitably (as they suggested) is for me pushing it a bit.

If your board isn't empty, it's 3 mana to kill an attacking Reckoner, and Kicker 1R: Do 2 damage to something else.

It kills Thragtusk. This makes me instantly like it for UR tempo decks.

Patriot Geist is my new flavour. So many strongs! Especially when they try to trump your Reckoner with theirs and you're just "No. And 2 you. And Blasphemous Act.".

Quote from LordSaturn
    I am personally in the 'patents are an unnecessary evil' camp.

Quote from jturphy
    Quote from H2O4Sho
    Smart move by Wizards, finally
    Yeah. The most profitable portion of the largest toy company in the world had clearly been making terrible decisions the last two years.
    This is amazing card, and I absolutely love it. Cards like this, Jilt, Fire/Ice are why I love UR.
    After breaking free from the Riptide Project, the slivers quickly adapted to life on Otaria-much to the dismay of life on Otaria.
    Decks
    Standard:
    None atm.

EDH:
    BRG Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
    UR Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
    RGW Mayael the Anima

Favourites:
    BR Blightning aggro
    G Elfdrazi
    B Mono Black Control
    This also kills Sire of Insanity at instant speed. Not many cards in Standard do that and are playable.

Clearly a good card but it feels too costly for my liking, even if it's reasonably costed given the flexibility. There's not much to say other than that, given that it's Turn to Frog / Ovinize, Shock, and the ability to play both in one spell.

I like the interesting synergy going on with these splits (and this one may have up to two different targets!) but some of the names, as doublets, aren't familiar to me.
    The fact it kills thragtusk without leaving a token is incredibly convenient.

Yeah this card is just awesome.
    "In the beginning, MTG Salvation switched to a new forum format.
    This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Comic Book Set
    Archester: Frontier of Steam (A steampunk set!)

Quote from Matt Tabak »
    It was at that moment that I realized: I'm kinda just making these things up. We can just write the rules the way we want them to work. People will have fun, and people will get it.

A Good Place to Start Designing
    How would this work with Isochron Scepter?

Can you still only cast one side?
    Turn // Burn is pretty awesome as a card but I think it's even more noteworthy how much it does for playability of Izzet. Being no longer basically dead to any random 5 toughness fatty is exactly what doctor ordered. Instant speed and variable mana costs are just icing on the this delicious card cake.
    Quote from VarynGray
    How would this work with Isochron Scepter?

Can you still only cast one side?

You can cast either side but you can't cast both at the same time because Fuse only works if cast from hand.
    The Commander Gauntlet | Lameria
    BGW Ghave, Guru of Spores | UB Vela the Night-Clad | B Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker | R Norin the Wary | RG Stonebrow, Krosan Hero
    GUB The Mimeoplasm | BRG Kresh the Bloodbraided | RGW Uril the Miststalker | WUB Zur the Enchanter | GW Captain Sisay
    RWU Zedruu the Greathearted | UB Grimgrin, Corpse-Born | BR Kaervek the Merciless | BRG Prossh, Skyraider of Kher
    UBR Nicol Bolas | GUB Damia, Sage of Stone | X Karn, Silver Golem | UR Melek, Izzet Paragon
    If I'm not an idiot (which I am), Turn and Burn comes from Texas Hold'em Poker. Before you deal a card to the table you "Burn" one. Also, the three times cards are dealt to the table are called the Flop, the Turn, and the River.

Maybe there's something else, but that's the only time Turn and Burn are used in the same context that I'm aware of.
    Epic World! Because seriously! It's the awesome!
    And don't forget to do your shopping at The Newe Haberdashery, the finest vendor of magic items and oddball services ... Ever!
    Quote from Supermouse
    If I'm not an idiot (which I am), Turn and Burn comes from Texas Hold'em Poker. Before you deal a card to the table you "Burn" one. Also, the three times cards are dealt to the table are called the Flop, the Turn, and the River.

Maybe there's something else, but that's the only time Turn and Burn are used in the same context that I'm aware of.

Fighter pilot slang, according to the internet.
    This space for rent.
    What would happen if you Turned and Burned an enemy Fiend Hunter that was exiling their Angel of Glory's Rise? Would Angel remain exiled?
    Quote from Supermouse

Turn and burn is military slang, though I was also not familiar with it before today. It's when a fighter pilot shot his last missile, he turns the plane around and fires the afterburner to get out of the zone of engagement as fast as possible.

Here of course it turns the creature into something else and burns that creature or another creature.
    BGW Ghave, Guru of Spores | UB Vela the Night-Clad | B Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker | R Norin the Wary | RG Stonebrow, Krosan Hero
    GUB The Mimeoplasm | BRG Kresh the Bloodbraided | RGW Uril the Miststalker | WUB Zur the Enchanter | GW Captain Sisay
    RWU Zedruu the Greathearted | UB Grimgrin, Corpse-Born | BR Kaervek the Merciless | BRG Prossh, Skyraider of Kher
    UBR Nicol Bolas | GUB Damia, Sage of Stone | X Karn, Silver Golem | UR Melek, Izzet Paragon
    Quote from Wolfbrand
    What would happen if you Turned and Burned an enemy Fiend Hunter that was exiling their Angel of Glory's Rise? Would Angel remain exiled?

Yes. The Fiend Hunter didn't have its death trigger when it died, so that ability never goes on the stack.

It works the same way as Blood Moon and Flagstones of Trokair.

Sig by DNCDeal with it.
    | white mana blue mana Eggs - So good, it's banned.
    | blue mana red mana Storm
    | white mana blue mana black mana Ad Nauseam
    | blue mana green mana Amulet
    | blue mana black mana green mana Infect
    | white mana red mana green mana Kiki Pod
    | white mana blue mana black mana green mana Gifts Control
    Modern Staples | Modern Rulings
    Quote from izzetmage
    Yes. The Fiend Hunter didn't have its death trigger when it died, so that ability never goes on the stack.

It works the same way as Blood Moon and Flagstones of Trokair.

Note, however, that in the case of things like Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, things can work slightly differently.

Quote from Comprehensive Rules »
    603.6c Leaves-the-battlefield abilities trigger when a permanent moves from the battlefield to another zone, or when a phased-in permanent leaves the game because its owner leaves the game. These are written as, but aren't limited to, "When [this object] leaves the battlefield, . . ." or "Whenever [something] is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, . . . ." An ability that attempts to do something to the card that left the battlefield checks for it only in the first zone that it went to. An ability that triggers when a card is put into a certain zone "from anywhere" is never treated as a leaves-the-battlefield ability, even if an object is put into that zone from the battlefield.
    This space for rent.
    Quote from Wolfbrand

Or even better use in their angel of serenity that has their thragtusks under it.
    Quote from urzassedatives
    A 40 dollar mythic rare would constitute a must have 4 of that goes in many decks.

Stats About Mythics
    -Mythics are on average 40% rarer than pre-mythic rares
    (old blocks about 200 rares, Mythic blocks 35+ mythics)
    -They are printing more new cards a year not less
    (about 665 now vs. 630 in most pre-mythic block)
    -To drop the value of a rare by $1 a mythic must go up $2
    -In a 3 year time span deck prices doubled.
    I am petitioning for the removal of mythic rarity. Sig this to join the cause.
    This is actually amazing, especially in UWR Midrange, which is a pretty great deck at the moment. Likely the most usable card revealed thus far.
    Am i missing something, or is this a truly unconditional removal spell for 3UR
    Quote from Sam I am
    Am i missing something, or is this a truly unconditional removal spell for 3UR

Indeed. It is in fact a multicolored Fissure that can't destroy lands.
    Quote from chaosof99
    Indeed. It is in fact a multicolored Fissure that can't destroy lands.

It stomps "leaves/dies from the battlefield" crap. I love it! Screw you Thragtusk and Angel of Serenity!
    To the people that say that a card needs to be a higher rarity because of Limited... I hate you guys so much. I present to you with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY8h2vp5Xis
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes