Blood Scrivener

This looks like my favorite card in a while.

Thoughts?

- Gives reach to Zombie aggro decks seems like the most important part of this card.

- Scriver with Lilly... Good lord. I'm actually now thinking this guy would be awesome in Jund.

I'm always wary of any cards that look anywhere close to bob...
    ATTACHMENTS
    • qehtyz52hp_EN
    Last edited by Catmurderer: 4/10/2013 11:26:15 PM
    What the hell happens if you have 2 of these in play?
    Currently playing
    Standard: :symu::symu::symu: Mono-Blue Devotion :symu::symu::symu:
    Modern: :symr::symu: UR Pyro-Faeries :symu::symr:
    EDH Decks:
    blue mana Thassa, God of VALUE blue mana (now with decklist!)
    B/G mana Skullbriar, the Walking Grave B/G mana

People with signatures are morons. AWESOME
    Im getting serious zombie fever.

Really excited to try him in U/B/G self-mill. Drain your hand to fill up your yard and use him to gain card advantage while you flashback/deathrite/gravecrawl your way to victory. Fantastic card.
    Well, Zombies finally got their 2-drop. And it's awesome.
    Quote from Mr Barrel Roll
    What the hell happens if you have 2 of these in play?

Draw 3 cards and lose 2 life.
    Make it an enchantment with the same cost and we have our YMTC for this year. We're done here folks.

Hehe, but seriously, I dig the effect and Just. Want. To. Get. THERRRRRR. This card is cool.
    Baneslayer Angel- Pro Demons and Dragons

Malfegor- Demon Dragon: only creature in the history of magic that is both of Baneslayer's protections. Can kill Baneslayer.

Win
    Quote from Ganadote
    Draw 3 cards and lose 2 life.
    Doesn't the draw 2 happen simultaneously? Why wouldn't you draw 4 cards and lose 3 life?

Sorry, am just confused, since the effect is oddly worded. "Whenever" is too long a word to use I guess. :/
    Currently playing
    Standard: :symu::symu::symu: Mono-Blue Devotion :symu::symu::symu:
    Modern: :symr::symu: UR Pyro-Faeries :symu::symr:
    EDH Decks:
    blue mana Thassa, God of VALUE blue mana (now with decklist!)
    B/G mana Skullbriar, the Walking Grave B/G mana

People with signatures are morons. AWESOME
    Any time the game instructs you to draw more than one card, it means to draw them in succession, not all at once.
    I wonder what the rule is if you draw multiple cards. Do you draw just the one extra? Or do you draw double the amount. Like, I draw two cards from oh say, a top decked divination. Would I draw 3 cards, or 4?
    Luck isn't the only reason I win. Just most of the reason.
    Quote from Mr Barrel Roll
    Doesn't the draw 2 happen simultaneously? Why wouldn't you draw 4 cards and lose 3 life?

Sorry, am just confused, since the effect is oddly worded. "Whenever" is too long a word to use I guess. :/

It's a replacement effect, not a trigger, so it works a little bit differently.

So, you start out having a single draw. You have two replacement effects active - two copies of "If you have no cards in hand, draw two cards and lose 1 life." You go to draw your card - but wait, a replacement effect wants to replace that event. One of your copies replaces it. You now have two draws (and one life loss). You go to draw the first of those two cards - but again, there's a replacement effect in the way. You still have no cards in hand - you haven't drawn one yet - so it replaces that one draw with two more, giving you three draws and -2 life. Each replacement effect can only replace an event once, so we stop here.
    Last edited by typobox: 4/10/2013 11:26:25 PM
    Quote from LazyNinja49
    I wonder what the rule is if you draw multiple cards. Do you draw just the one extra? Or do you draw double the amount. Like, I draw two cards from oh say, a top decked divination. Would I draw 3 cards, or 4?
    3 cards. Like I said above, you always draw cards one after the other, so only one of them was drawn with your hand empty.
    nvm
    PSA- With BNG having many 'opponents choice' effects and not just in tribute, it helps to know how to evaluate such mechanics:

Whenever a mechanic gives an opponent his choice of one of multiple options, the ability is overall worth less than the least of these options, made worse by how different the options are and better by your ability to manipulate this choice. In most cases you have no meaningful way to influence your opponents choice.
    Hellbent card draw is an interesting concept. It could be fun in Faithless Looting decks.
    Quote from TheLizard
    3 cards. Like I said above, you always draw cards one after the other, so only one of them was drawn with your hand empty.

NVM, by the 2nd draw I would already have a card in hand.
    Quote from Galspanic

#1 - What's the dumbest idea you ever had?
    #2 - 15/15 for 15?
    #1 - Make it dumber
    #2 - Give it protection from removal and counter?
    #1 - DUMBER!
    #2 - Add Timewalk?
    #1 - DAMN IT MAN, I SAID DUMB!! DUMB !!!
    #2 - It destroys everything when it attacks.... And wait, I have a friend who plays mill decks... I want to beat him too.
    #1 - Excellent! Recess is over, go back and learn sex-ed with the other 6th graders.

Quote from conner686
    At what point does a thread officially stop having a point?

Quote from typobox
    It's a replacement effect, not a trigger, so it works a little bit differently.

So, you start out having a single draw. You have two replacement effects active - two copies of "If you have no cards in hand, draw two cards and lose 1 life." You go to draw your card - but wait, a replacement effect wants to replace that event. One of your copies replaces it. You now have two draws (and one life loss). You go to draw the first of those two cards - but again, there's a replacement effect in the way. You still have no cards in hand - you haven't drawn one yet - so it replaces that one draw with two more, giving you three draws and -2 life. Each replacement effect can only replace an event once, so we stop here.

Thank you for properly explaining how that works, its will be good to know if this card sees major play

Also don't think this will see much major play, maybe zombies will try and make a comeback before rotation but I doubt it will and I'm not really sure of any other deck that wants him

Idk is Sire of Insanity a thing with this guy cause that might work
    And rakdos just got hellbent demon to go with this!
    Also, flavor text gave my wall a dent and my head an owie.
    I don't like the new MtgSalvation look.
    But I like Vorthos things.
    And Timmy cards.
    And making hyper-competitive people have to validate their distorted views to me.
    This card is amazing. It just may make zombies a deck in legacy. And its a perfect fit for the legacy zombardment deck. I think dark burn may like this too, burn plus dark confidant and this new zombie would be quite juicy! I like how it allows you to draw multiple cards in responce to a sign in blood effect, making it stand on its own compared to dark confidant.
    This seems pretty nuts with Liliana of the Veil.
    counter-interact with bob is the only thing that makes me sad. bob stops Scrivener's trigger.

But I too love this with lotv.
    Lets name him hellbent bob;D
    Will this become a a more restrictive, yet possibly (who knows) stronger version of Dark Confidant...

Better question:

Can it compete (power wise) w/ Dark Confidant?

Come check out my trades!!!
    And there goes the prices of LotV soaring once more into unreachable heights. This card is definitely a great card, and I would undoubtedly would be getting a foil play set like any other card which I see with true value and this is absolutely it. You don't have to have an empty hand to make it useful, because first of all it is a creature with a reasonable power and toughness and which can turn sideways, on its own it is a very strong card, with other cards like LotV, that is where you can maximize its value.
    Quote from Galspanic

#1 - What's the dumbest idea you ever had?
    #2 - 15/15 for 15?
    #1 - Make it dumber
    #2 - Give it protection from removal and counter?
    #1 - DUMBER!
    #2 - Add Timewalk?
    #1 - DAMN IT MAN, I SAID DUMB!! DUMB !!!
    #2 - It destroys everything when it attacks.... And wait, I have a friend who plays mill decks... I want to beat him too.
    #1 - Excellent! Recess is over, go back and learn sex-ed with the other 6th graders.

Quote from conner686
    At what point does a thread officially stop having a point?

Quote from alyu314
    counter-interact with bob is the only thing that makes me sad. bob stops Scrivener's trigger.

But I too love this with lotv.

I don't see how Bob stops Scrivener. if I'm understanding it correctly, you will draw 4 cards and not 2. I hope I'm not wrong.
    I do NOT recommend CCGHouse.com

The Walking Dead - Legacy
    Trade me for my Tundra and U. Sea!
    If you sent me 2 Theros Thoughtseize, please PM me immediately.
    Quote from Krimson Viper
    I don't see how Bob stops Scrivener. if I'm understanding it correctly, you will draw 4 cards and not 2. I hope I'm not wrong.

Dark Confidant nets you a card during the upkeep, so Scrivener's "empty hand check" will fail unless you happen to topdeck and cast an instant before ending your upkeep and moving to the draw step.

I really want to try this guy in a Pox-style deck. Or even just zombies. I am in love with this card and hope it sees tons of play!
    Seems like an interesting card to pair with Uba Mask ^^. Probably not in any competitive setting but it seems fun in casual :). I think anyways XD. Not too sure how the interaction works.
    [quote=Cz] Cz you're the tallest, coolest and humblest poster on MTGS. Keep up the good work!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes