Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker

Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker
    3UB
    Legendary Creature - Vampire
    Flying

Whenever Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker deals combat damage to a player, that player reveals cards from the top of his or her library until he or she reveals four land cards, then puts those cards into his or her graveyard.
    2/4
    Last edited by DisRaptor: 4/11/2013 8:19:52 AM
    My guess for the returning mechanic in Theros: Scry
    Maybe we'll see "Runes" as a new type of enchantments Nodding the Affirmative
    Kiora for Born of the Gods, maybe?
    4 ability planeswalker in Theros block, go!
    2014 Block: Monocolor matters
    2015 Block: Zendikar 2.0
    2016 Block: Bizzaralara
    An overcosted Azure Drake that mills when it deals damage?

I suppose he is pretty good in limited, so that's always something... I guess... Rolleyes
    Elspeth is dead. Long live Elspeth.
    I think he needed...something else. Just doesn't feel..enough.
    My primary criticism is that they didn't use the less-open-to-debate "puts all cards revealed this way into his or her graveyard" wording from Mind Grind. I see a few casual headaches.
    This space for rent.
    First off let me just say that I HATE MILL. The mechanic is IMO just weak. No board happening and 53-ish cards to mill vs 20ish life to take. It ****ing sucks, which is where Im coming from in this post.

I had hopes for the dimir champion to redeem the uselesness of cipher by making it worthwhile somehow or, fail that, to be just a solid strong card. This is neither to me and its about as close to a nemesis of reason reprint as can be, another card I care nothing for.

So all in all, card is bad. To be fair its not 7-mana bad but still lame. I cant really wrap my head around this, how hard can it possibly be to just make the champions good? Why are some of them so obviously better than others or in a few cases straight up terrible? Is it not clear to R&D that every guild fanboy/girl want a decent champions representing!
    Quote from Mjelke
    I cant really wrap my head around this, how hard can it possibly be to just make the champions good? Why are some of them so obviously better than others or in a few cases straight up terrible? Is it not clear to R&D that every guild fanboy/girl want a decent champions representing!

I'm trying to wrap my head around a world in which one set contained ten creatures that were playable in competitive formats and interesting EDH generals, while also appealing to all the possible attractions of their respective guilds.
    This space for rent.
    This guy's obviously meant for casual mill decks, which are a thing.

He's also pretty decent in limited.
    Love is in the airThe wedding is over. Now it's time for the honeymoon.Love is in the air

Thanks to Rivenor of Miraculous Recovery Signatures!
    Wow, this beats even Teysa on the "uninspired design" scale.
    Good in limited, obviously.
    And that's all...

Signature by Ace of Spades Studio
    Speaking in terms of limited - offensively he effectively has five power that ignores any incidental lifegain and synergizes with any incidental mill you manage to pick up. With 17 lands per library and coming out turn five, if your opponent has drawn or draws a 6th land in the next two turns and can neither remove nor block it, Mirko kills by himself in three turns. At worst he has to connect four times - like a five power creature - since they're guaranteed to have drawn at least two lands in five turns and if they haven't they've all ready conceded - to kill an opponent all by himself. If you have, for instance, a board of 3 other creatures including an Undercity Informer and have hit a land off Grisly Spectacle - incidental mill cards that do things a black deck wanted to do in GTC - he turns into a two turn clock.
    I can get how competitive constructed (22-26 lands iirc) EDH people (40+ lands - they're dead from his general damage before they're milled out) and probably even casual people (mill has a hate lobby online from what I can see) could see this as a waste of cardboard, but I think he's an awesomely balanced limited card (splashable, not quite a bomb for all decks but a bomb for the deck with enough incidental mill) with a huge amount of flavour.
    Quote from Mjelke
    I cant really wrap my head around this, how hard can it possibly be to just make the champions good? Why are some of them so obviously better than others or in a few cases straight up terrible? Is it not clear to R&D that every guild fanboy/girl want a decent champions representing!

Trying to get everyone to like everything will end up ensuring no one likes anything. It's much better design for R&D to make some Maze Runners for Standard, some for EDH, and some for even more casual environments. It allows them to ensure that card will please the people they were meant for. If you don't like a particular card, it wasn't meant for you.
    Limited bomb

Plenty of ways to make him unblockable which turns him into a dangerous clock that needs to be answered

Works very, very well with Lazav, Dimir Mastermind

Sure it isn't all that interesting but he's far from bad
    Really think he should have costed 4, so it curved into Consuming Abberation. It's not very constructed playable, but people are certainly going to try.

Like me.
    "The trick to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." -Albert Einstein
    Quote from dr_death28314
    Really think he should have costed 4, so it curved into Consuming Abberation. It's not very constructed playable, but people are certainly going to try.

Like me.

I would have rather he be T3 and either 2/4 Grind 2 or 2/3 Grind 3. So he curved into Lazav and Consuming.
    Looks like he was designed with lazav, dimir mastermind in mind. Good synergy there
    ~
    Nothing but the rain...
    Neeed to cost 4 or have a 4/4 body (maybe 3/4 at least).
    I don't see how this guy could be considered good in any format. He's so easily blocked...

Biggest disappointment of the set so far for me, personally. Zero potential for anything but a kitchen table deck, and a bad one at that.
    Quote from Cervantes3
    It allows them to ensure that card will please the people they were meant for. If you don't like a particular card, it wasn't meant for you.

That is really easy to say. But I guess it's true, in a way.

Design-wise, I feel like this is the least inspired guildchampion. I'm not too fond of milling anyway and this isn't the card that's gonna win me over. But it is also kinda what I was expecting. Synergy with Lazav is nice though.
    Last edited by Panda Bear: 4/11/2013 11:52:50 AM
    I think they should have lowered the mill to three land, dropped him down to a 1/3 or something like that, and had him have a cmc of three, curve into lazav, into aberration, it still would have been laughed at by every spike, and played only on the fringes by sickos who like tormenting their friends. *whistle, whistle*
    UG
    Man I had such high hopes for this card. The art and guild affiliation drew my eye from the moment it was revealed. This is pretty disappointing; a 2/4 flying mill engine for 5 is nowhere near playable in anything but the most desperate mill decks. I can only hope the Dimir mythic will up the ante.
    Probably will put him in my Lazav EDH, but he just seems so inadequate. Compared to Nemesis of Reason, he has far worst stats and has to connect, rather than just attack. Maybe if he had hexproof, costed less or had better stats I would like him more, but he just seems so underpowered.
    So, can anyone imagine a scenario in constructed where this does not completely suck?
    That was a lot of pages that just got removed.
    Quote from Smooth Criminal
    So, can anyone imagine a scenario in constructed where this does not completely suck?

Play this, then next turn Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth into Nightmare Incursion for 6/7 lands and then swing is A LOT of cards milled, but it's probably too slow.
    Empires rise and fall, but evil is eternal.

Quote from Chris Millar »
    Ah, enchantments! They're easily my second- or third-favourite type of nonland permanent.

Magic: The RPG Character - Alissi
    http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost.php?p=2488523&postcount=2
    Yes, not every card needs to be a standard bomb, or an EDH bomb, or a kitchen table all star. I play all of those, competitive and casual, and this card still makes me cringe. My main gripe is that its the guild champion. The fact that anyone, regardless of prefered format, would look at the champion of a guild with utter loathing is a failure.

To illustrate this point, though I didnt wet myself over any of the guild leaders from the last two sets, even though I thought some were really good(Segana) and some were pretty bad(Isperia), not one shocked me with their badness either. At worst I could still say "its not terrible". For this round, which is not even done yet, I already think Teysa and this guy are offensivly bad.

Even if it is designed for a specific purpuse(Kitchen table mill seems to be the consensus on this one), then at least make it strong enough to make me go "meh, fine". Is that really too much? I really dont think the "there will always be haters" or "everyone cant all love every card" arguments holds in the face if these obviusly weak cards.

To be fair though, Ill concede that my rating of this card IS coloured by the fact that I really, REALLY, hate mill.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes