syncopate

blue counterspell everyone wants
    xb
    counter target spell unless its caster pays x. If it would be countered exile it instead.
    It's called Syncopate.
    I can't even keep reading after the TITLE of the thread is misspelled. I can handle typos, but the title of the thread? Really? Couldn't at least get that right?
    http://www.twitter.com/jturphy - Follow me on Twitter!
    Check out http://www.mtgbrodeals.com/author/john-murphy/ for my EDH articles!
    Looks like it's been bumped up to an uncommon. I believe the Odyssey block one was common?
    Love Syncopate, love the reprinted art, but damn, seriously dude, fix the title.
    Quote from cryogen
    When I post it's like solid gold quotes spewing from my fingers.
    Quote from ISBPathfinder
    Something spews all right...
    lol synopticate..

anyways, this card is the definition of "average". I'tll probably see a little play, It's maybe better than dissipate, since it can counter on 2, but it's not a hard counter (although it effectively will be almost every time). This card saw a little play back in odyssey standard/block, I'd expect it to be about the same.
    Standard:
    Bident Layers
    B Devotion
    RG Devotion
    UW Control

Modern:
    Jund
    UW Control
    Combo Pod

Legacy:

DeathBlade
    RUG Delver
    BUG Control

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    Eh it's fine. Snapcaster can't do much with it, which I'm sure was the point...
    Check out some sweet tunes. J_Ruth's latest tune is "Morphling" and, yes, it's named after the classic Morphling.
    It will see play, especially since it is basically the only unconditional cmc 2 counterspell in standard, much like how Broken Ambitions took over Mana Leak during Lowryn.
    :symb::symb::symb::symb::symb::symb:
    The only colour with a 99/99
    Signature by Spongy Pengwin

Quote from Kenaron
    It's still not colorless, and has no color. That's a paradox. So either you're a Zen master or an idiot, I'll assume the Zen master for sake of argument. This card will have no paradoxes because it has a clear paradox. Deep stuff man.
    DCI Level 1 Judge

UBR: Sedris
    Quote from jonnybgood23
    Eh it's fine. Snapcaster can't do much with it, which I'm sure was the point...

Snapcaster can flash Syncopate back and they are both blue spells...pretty sure it will be the crux of blue decks for a while.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

"I love you guys, thanks for comin' to my special."
    - Mitch Hedburg (1968-2005)
    We love you too Mitch, we love you too.

"Girls are like Voltron: the more you stick together, the better it gets." SE
    I agree with it being played to some extent. I mean just look at 5cc from a couple of years ago. Gabriel Nassif was able to pilot that deck to a pro tour win against LSV and it played multiple copies of broken ambitions main board. There was a lack of mana leak in that format as well. Though no Delver to speak of so we'll see how well things work out this time around. I'm looking forward to playing with syncopate
    Its awesome we get this shame it fails in compression to The loxodon....
    What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly — that is the first law of nature.- Voltaire

:symu:::symr:UR Facts:symu::symr:
    I synopticated myself in the groin last night

it hurt

EDIT couldn't resist

Spam warning.
    -Sene
    Last edited by Sene: 9/7/2012 12:24:44 PM
    http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=340890

for trades^^^, always looking for Treefolk.
    I'm not too happy about this spell unless theres plenty of "mother, may I "spells this block. Plus the art is incredibly ugly with the whole "12 year old boy" look on a a female.
    I do NOT recommend CCGHouse.com

The Walking Dead - Legacy
    Trade me for my Tundra and U. Sea!
    If you sent me 2 Theros Thoughtseize, please PM me immediately.
    Quote from Joseph Penney
    Snapcaster can flash Syncopate back and they are both blue spells...pretty sure it will be the crux of blue decks for a while.

Not as efficient as Snapcaster Mage + Mana Leak, that's for sure and I'm pretty sure that is what jonny meant.
    :symb::symb::symb::symb::symb::symb:
    The only colour with a 99/99
    Signature by Spongy Pengwin

Quote from Kenaron
    It's still not colorless, and has no color. That's a paradox. So either you're a Zen master or an idiot, I'll assume the Zen master for sake of argument. This card will have no paradoxes because it has a clear paradox. Deep stuff man.
    DCI Level 1 Judge

UBR: Sedris
    Quote from Krimson Viper
    I'm not too happy about this spell unless theres plenty of "mother, may I "spells this block. Plus the art is incredibly ugly with the whole "12 year old boy" look on a a female.

Wow, so just because a woman has shorter hair she looks like a 12 year old boy? Seriously? Mad
    Legacy
    W Death and Taxes W
    U Merfolk U
    GWR Enchantress GWR
    WUG BantWUG
    Quote from Gish
    Wow, so just because a woman has shorter hair she looks like a 12 year old boy? Seriously? Mad

No, she really looks like a 12 year old boy. The only thing that made me know she was a she was the cleavage.

I think synoptopoponitcate isn't the counterspell we deserve. Very versatile and effective against someone curving out, but I'm not impressed. I may be wrong, never saw thta or broken ambitions in action, and BA was played.
    Disappointed... Syncopate is OK.... I used it back in the day as a two of, but there were a few better counters to run ahead of it.

Sucks that this takes the uncommon counter slot. That means no Remand and I doubt a common slot counter would be better (if there is one). I'm holding out hope for a rare counter... Maybe the Izzet uncounterable slot of that cycle...
    Good Quotes:
    Quote from i-never-smile
    ...I'm a cold-hearted Islands disciple, so I firmly believe there is a private hell for Red Deck Wins players.

Quote from jturphy
    Magic is dead, again, for the 2nd(?) time this year? I think this is probably the 43rd or 44th time Magic has died. When will they stop killing Magic?

Awesome art Smile
    BA was played because there were no other options. Syncopate is pretty meh. If it sees play, it'll see play because there aren't any better options.

I was hoping for something new, given the Maelstrom Pulse+ and Terminate+ we just got.
    BA was played because there were no other options.

Cryptic Command? There aren't many good counterspells in ISD either, not that counters are any kind of good right now.
    It kind of burns that they give us this as a respectable counter, in a format full of things it can't counter. Smooth Wizards, real smooth.

Hopefully there is a rare counterspell in the set. That would be nice. Counterspell as a rare would make me happy.
    "If you don't wear your seatbelt, the police will shoot you in the head."
    - To my youngest sister when she was 6.

Everyone knows that good luck and good game are such insincere terms that any man who does not connect his right hook with the offender's jaw on the very utterance of such a phrase is no man I would consider as such.

Quote from Ninja Caterpie

Last time it went large-small-large, it went "happy adventure land", "mana filled happy adventure land", "DEAD MANA ELDRAZI OVERRUN SAD DEFENSE LAND."
    At least mana leak was playable on the draw, with this thing youl always be behind on the draw. I guess we're all still spoiled by leak town.
    Quote from Yamikiri
    It kind of burns that they give us this as a respectable counter, in a format full of things it can't counter. Smooth Wizards, real smooth.

Hopefully there is a rare counterspell in the set. That would be nice. Counterspell as a rare would make me happy.

You know what I think would be hilarious? An uncounterable rare counterspell that can target only instants. That'd be a riot!

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes