[GP] 2014 Grand Prix schedule and changes

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/263e

Executive summary:

- 46 GPs in 2014, up from 40 in 2013
    North America gets 21 (-3)
    Europe gets 12 (+2)
    Asia-Pacific gets 9 (+5)
    South America gets 4 (+2)
    - Prize payout up for all events; larger events get more prizes and pay to more participants
    - No Saturday registration for any GPs
    - No Byes for Team GPs
    - Team Sealed Day 2 will be fresh Sealed decks to the Top 4,then Team draft Top 4
    - Batterskull is the promo for the entire of the year (EDIT: corrected, now only a single promo instead of 2 as in recent years)
    - Concerted effort to schedule PT/GP back-to-backs to aid travellers
    Last edited by Savia: 9/5/2013 3:54:22 AM
    DCI L3 Judge; Regional Coordinator, British Isles & South Africa

I run a Tumblr for Magic-related statistics, graphs, and quizzes. Come check it out!
    Good news all around, finally they are making the size of the GP influence the prize pool and increasing it in proportion.

Feel free to bid on my cards here!
    I'm really happy that batterskull is the promo! It's just a shame that the only GP in my country is block constructed: The GP format I am most apathetic about : /
    MUSE are number one!

Quote from CMoriarty

Time Spiral mashed legs, a beard, and a body desperately in need of a cheeseburger on to Candelabra of Tawnos and gave us Magus if the Candelabra. This guy made people very nervous when he was printed, but it turns out that the difference between spending 1 colorless mana and 1 green mana for this effect is about $100.00. Who knew?
    GP Manchester is 30th may to June 1st. That's batterskull, right? My cube neeeds it.

Sure is a nice Library you got there.. be a shame if something were to happen to it...
    November 14-16, New Jersey, USA... I could see Rhode Island being downgraded from a State to a City, but the ocean hasn't reclaimed that much of the Garden State yet.
    May your games be Chaos chaotic Chaos and your decks be Rogue.
    EDH
    WU Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
    UBR Nekusar, the Mindrazer
    RW Anax and Cymede
    RGW Mayael the Anima
    I'm surprised it took so long for someone to make a thread about this.

Only two Legacy GPs? Laaaaaaaame!
    Quote from love_blanket
    The problem with defining this format by what is "fun" is that everyone seems to define fun as what they don't lose to. If you keep losing to easily answered cards, that means improve you should improve your deck. If you don't want to improve your deck, then you should come to peace with the idea that you are going to lose because you chose to not interact with better strategies.
    Well like anything that changes and fluctuates there are positives and negatives. The first worthwhile positive I can see is the pay structure increase. It's about time that more players have the option of making some money on day 2. Even if it takes a large amount of players to do so. No mention of changes to Pro points being handed out to top players so I think we can assume no change there. The elimination of Saturday registration is definitely one change that I'm not sure how I feel. Starting the GP on time Saturday is paramount, but not giving people the chance to show up and register? There has to be a decent amount of people that this would disadvantage? (Even with online registration.) And 3 less North America GPs? I think that sucks a bit even though there's 6 more this upcoming year than 2013.

And Savia, the article says Batterskull for ALL of 2014. Not just the first half. While I look forward to getting that Alt Art foil batterskull, but a split like 2013 (Prime Time and All Is Dust) seems much neater.
    *I COLLECT EHAN106 ALTERS. GOT ANY?*

An actor without a director is but a mannequin.
    While a director without a writer is unemployed.
    But ultimately a writer without words is dead.
    ~R. D. Newman

"7,015 creatures in existence. They all die to removal."

Never before has a boy wanted more...zombie slaying.

GP Vegas: It was once in a lifetime!

On Vault of the Archangel
    Quote from Cyanfunk
    Suddenly, every vanilla creature ever becomes a fully loaded shotgun to your opponent's crotch.
    I thought they would have a Modern Masters sealed GP every year?
    Quote from franconbean
    I'm really happy that batterskull is the promo! It's just a shame that the only GP in my country is block constructed: The GP format I am most apathetic about : /

This! I'm so happy about the promo but upset that we always get formats that aren't modern or standard in the UK!

Also to rub it in, France gets TWO GPs and we get one!

So realistically it looks like I'll go to the manchester and the prague GPs, possible the stockholm and milan ones too.

I really wish the UK had two GPs a year. One standard/modern constructed, one limited. In Manchester and London. Every year. Perfect.

Bloody frogs, saved you in world war 2, battle of agincourt *grumble*
    Last edited by Shodai: 9/5/2013 3:19:37 AM
    #FreeWildNacatl
    Quote from RichardHaro
    This! I'm so happy about the promo but upset that we always get formats that aren't modern or standard in the UK!

Also to rub it in, France gets TWO GPs and we get one!

So realistically it looks like I'll go to the manchester and the prague GPs, possible the stockholm and milan ones too.

I really wish the UK had two GPs a year. One standard/modern constructed, one limited. In Manchester and London. Every year. Perfect.

Bloody frogs, saved you in world war 2, battle of agincourt *grumble*

Technically we get semi standard through block constructed, not quite as good but it'll do Smile

Also, no not manchester and london, London and Edinburgh would be better, you know, so Scottish people don't all have to travel 200 miles.
    Last edited by gcsmith: 9/5/2013 4:52:10 AM
    lame - no GP at all in Germany...

5 in Europe in the first half and only barcelona - modern and paris - legacy are attractive Frown

the other being team sealed, sealed and block contructed. Frown
    Quote from quizzlemanizzle
    lame - no GP at all in Germany...

5 in Europe in the first half and only barcelona - modern and paris - legacy are attractive Frown

the other being team sealed, sealed and block contructed. Frown

This may be a result of the scaling prize structure. If I recall correctly, Germany's been an issue for them and other TCG companies in the past, with physical prizes having to be used instead of cash.

I would expect GP: Vegas II in 2015.
    http://kirblar024.wordpress.com - I has a blog now!

Current post- Grand Prix KC Modern Postmortem (7/7/13)
    No GPs in Germany makes a ton of sense, since their gambling laws make it difficult.

The changes are good, but I'm unexcited about the schedule - the closest Limited GP for me is Warzaw Slant

Edit: nevermind, Utrecht is limited. So that one's closer.
    Please don't PM me about staff/moderating business, I am not a part of the staff here anymore.
    Is the promo batterskull picture a broken link for anyone else?
    Quote from Alphataru
    Is the promo batterskull picture a broken link for anyone else?

Yeah, here's a mockup using the card art m8, taken from the other thread

#FreeWildNacatl
    Quote from Foam-dome
    I'm surprised it took so long for someone to make a thread about this.

Only two Legacy GPs? Laaaaaaaame!

there will be a time very soon, when there will be not a single legacy gp. wotc is dropping legacy more an more as a supported format. soon we will only have: standard, modern and limited as supported formats.
    Seems like a pretty good list of GPs. Adding prizes to the bottom seems like a possible loophole to some countries laws that would prohibit it (although stricter countries probably still block it).

I wish I had a viable Team Sealed near me, Providence was a blast this year but as an American I get more GPs than most so I can't complain.

EDIT: Someone questioned why the GP New Jersey is called as such, its probably because either they are still working on the venue or its a no name kind of place like Somerville (where SCG had their invitational this past time).
    L1 Judge

Quote from RichardHaro
    Yeah, here's a mockup using the card art m8, taken from the other thread

Ooooo,

I wonder how it looks after the foiling process has been applied. I'm not going nuts for this art but it's pretty nice.

In other news, page 1 is the most different UK users I've seen post on a single page in this forum
    MUSE are number one!

Quote from CMoriarty

Time Spiral mashed legs, a beard, and a body desperately in need of a cheeseburger on to Candelabra of Tawnos and gave us Magus if the Candelabra. This guy made people very nervous when he was printed, but it turns out that the difference between spending 1 colorless mana and 1 green mana for this effect is about $100.00. Who knew?
    Quote from Wrathberry
    there will be a time very soon, when there will be not a single legacy gp. wotc is dropping legacy more an more as a supported format. soon we will only have: standard, modern and limited as supported formats.

and this will be very sad. It probably will seriously drop legacy prices. Vintage cards like tinker also dropped hard - some kept their value just because they are the power 9 or power EDH cards etc but lots of legacy staples will not be in demand anymore.

and in ten years the same thing will happen to modern, modern will be the new legacy, legacy will be the current vintage and a more modern format the new modern..
    Two GP's in Spain and none in Portugal makes me sad Frown

That being said, nice promo I guess
    Two Grand Prixes in Vienna within six months of each other. Sweet. Also I get a free foil Batterskull which is even better Smile
    The Commander Gauntlet | Lameria
    BGW Ghave, Guru of Spores | UB Vela the Night-Clad | B Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker | R Norin the Wary | RG Stonebrow, Krosan Hero
    GUB The Mimeoplasm | BRG Kresh the Bloodbraided | RGW Uril the Miststalker | WUB Zur the Enchanter | GW Captain Sisay
    RWU Zedruu the Greathearted | UB Grimgrin, Corpse-Born | BR Kaervek the Merciless | BRG Prossh, Skyraider of Kher
    UBR Nicol Bolas | GUB Damia, Sage of Stone | X Karn, Silver Golem | UR Melek, Izzet Paragon
    Toronto is no longer there... Dammit.
    Quote from chaosof99
    Two Grand Prixes in Vienna within six months of each other. Sweet. Also I get a free foil Batterskull which is even better Smile

i wish i would live in southern germany, so vienna wouldnt be too far away^^
    Quote from tiago_tm
    Two GP's in Spain and none in Portugal makes me sad Frown

none in germany for the second year in a row, will make us all sad. but we know its due to freaking law which denies monetary payout prizes. :/
    @TheTogaras people should play more games and the world would be a safer place
    Quote from Togaras
    none in germany for the second year in a row, will make us all sad. but we know its due to freaking law which denies monetary payout prizes. :/

They are however scheduling events in places like Vienna and Strasbourg to try and serve the German market.
    DCI L3 Judge; Regional Coordinator, British Isles & South Africa

I run a Tumblr for Magic-related statistics, graphs, and quizzes. Come check it out!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes