Commander 2013 Limited Product

About an hour ago this was posted in a popular Facebook group for trading cards in the UK by the folks who run it, Manaleak.

"Hey guys,

Just a heads up. It now seems that the Commander 2013 product due for release on 1st November is going to be allocated. The allocation will be based on WPN ratings, so will probably be similar to Modern Masters allocation figures.

Basically what this means is that the supply for Commander 2013 is going to be very limited.

Apparently the demand for Commander 2013 has now been anticipated to be a lot higher than what is being printed."

Don't really know what to think of this. Can anyone confirm, or back it up?
    dis_gonna_b_good.gif
    Its not "limited" if its in walmart.
    If distributers and stores want to allocate it and rip of customers, thats fine.

I'll go to walmart/target if thats the case.
    If these don't hit my local Target/Walmart, I'm going to be more than mildly irritated.
    Quote from Arkenstone
    About an hour ago this was posted in a popular Facebook group for trading cards in the UK by the folks who run it, Manaleak.

"Hey guys,

Just a heads up. It now seems that the Commander 2013 product due for release on 1st November is going to be allocated. The allocation will be based on WPN ratings, so will probably be similar to Modern Masters allocation figures.

Basically what this means is that the supply for Commander 2013 is going to be very limited.

Apparently the demand for Commander 2013 has now been anticipated to be a lot higher than what is being printed."

Don't really know what to think of this. Can anyone confirm, or back it up?

Somehow I doubt this is true. They may be allocating the product, but this isn't going to modern masters level rarity. This is supposed to be available in megamart retailers as well.
    Quote from LandBoySteve
    Mark my words...2 years from now, the ONLY viable archetype in standard is going to be aggro or tempo, maybe.

Control will be dead.
    LD is already dead.
    Combo will never exist again.
    Card discard will be BBB to get rid of 1 card.

5/16/2012
    That doesn't make sense -- this is a mass market product, like the Duel Decks.
    Given how stupidly popular EDH is, I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't flood the market with these.
    Is actually rather hairy.
    Level 1 Judge
    I write flavor articles for RoxieCards.
    I play Magic at Freedom Cardboard in Alpharetta, Georgia.
    I'm just saying what's been relayed through the group. Manaleak are a well trusted part of the UK scene, so I don't doubt that what he's saying is what has been communicated to them. They've taken down the decks on their website for preorder because they're now unsure of stock levels.

"We WILL honour those prices with all the stock we get. We've just stopped offering it on our website until we know if we've got any left after the pre-orders & local player orders. And I doubt we'll have any left."
    It's not going to be like MM or a FTV. These are huge sellers and they'll do more print runs after the first one.

I think it will be just like the last commander precons, they sell out for the first couple weeks and then you can find them anywhere. If a store is trying to hype it up like MM then I would be suspicious of them just trying to scare their customers into paying higher prices.
    Wizards would never pass up the chance to print a mass market product.
    Ever.
    They make the most money, turn over the most sales, and unless the big box retailers and their vendors say "No, we don't want another product", they will always put them out and in good numbers.

People are just incredibly chicken-little-ing now. Yes, it was a dark summer of "Limited product".
    Not every product is a limited product, nor is there any sane person who would expect them to be. However, this is about the UK, not the US.

Expect to see these on shelves at Walmart, Target, Meijer and just about any big box store that sells Magic the Gathering product.
    So they decide to make yearly Commander products because of how popular the format is, and then immediately forget how popular the format is?
    Quote from Arkenstone
    I'm just saying what's been relayed through the group. Manaleak are a well trusted part of the UK scene, so I don't doubt that what he's saying is what has been communicated to them. They've taken down the decks on their website for preorder because they're now unsure of stock levels.

"We WILL honour those prices with all the stock we get. We've just stopped offering it on our website until we know if we've got any left after the pre-orders & local player orders. And I doubt we'll have any left."

Sounds like back peddling because somebody knows something that we dont.
    *cough* fetchlands

This week will be interesting to see what happens to preorders and pre sales as more and more stores get product and more and more people open said product when they shouldn't.
    Quote from Tackman
    So they decide to make yearly Commander products because of how popular the format is, and then immediately forget how popular the format is?

Well... to be fair, the first product they made because of how popular EDH was was an extremely limited run foil set where they grossly underestimated its popularity.
    Quote from LandBoySteve
    Mark my words...2 years from now, the ONLY viable archetype in standard is going to be aggro or tempo, maybe.

Control will be dead.
    LD is already dead.

5/16/2012
    Quote from bLatch
    Well... to be fair, the first product they made because of how popular EDH was was an extremely limited run foil set where they grossly underestimated its popularity.

Commander's Arsenal came out last year.

The precons were 2 years ago.
    Quote from UnderwaterGuy
    Commander's Arsenal came out last year.

The precons were 2 years ago.

Right, the precons weren't made because they realized how popular edh was, the precons selling like crazy caused them to realize how popular edh was.
    Quote from LandBoySteve

Control will be dead.
    LD is already dead.

5/16/2012
    Hello everyone!

We run one of the biggest online shops for MtG in Europe (based in Germany) and at the end of last week we received the info that Commander will be heavily allocated by WotC and as a consequence by all 12 European distributors.

Allocations between 25-60 % of the ordered quantity are the numbers that we've been told by the distributors and which were also confirmed by other sellers.

This will of course affect us and our plannings and we already had to increase the price for pre-orders. Just like everyone else, we were given the wrong impression that there will be plenty of product upon release. It remains unclear whether there will be a reprint and / or how much product is still in WotC's warehouse for possible re-orders (re-orders not possible right now!)

To the readers from the US:

This is just a view from the European market. It could be totally different in the US. But IF it's not limited there, why does SCG not take any preorders right now and why are people paying over US$170 on ebay when the MSRP is only US$150? Maybe it has to do with sales tax or something else which I overlooked, but for boxes SCG normally charges $120 and you can get them on ebay for ~ $100, right?
    Commander was one of Wizard's best selling products. I highly doubt that they'll print less than double what they did last time. Perhaps wave 1 may be limited, but there will be at least 2 waves if not more. In the US, this will be hitting mass market retailers.
    I know magic is less popular in Europe, but isn't Commander actually more popular over there proportionnally?

Mmmmhh
    EDH

BB Satan's Angels: Demon Tribal
    BBW Ira Dei (Invictus)
    BWW S.P.Q.R, Teysa's legion.
    BRG: Prossh
    BBB Erebos
    BRU Legion of Morgoth
    OTHER DECKS

LEGACY
    BWU Tin Fins
    RRR Burn
    if this is true, i'll hunt and burn every people working for the wizard. i know it's a company that need to make money, but this is just being jerk

Threatening others, onsite and off, will result in suspensions. Please don't. -TK
    Last edited by TK-421: 10/15/2013 1:37:34 AM
    The 5 stage of grief: how Spikes reacted to Sylvan Primordial ban:
    - Denial
    Quote from Wonderland
    As of Feb 03, 2014 Sylvan Primordial isn't banned as per WOTC rulings.

- Anger
    Quote from DCDT-Dito
    our group as decided to avoid most of the ban because whe believe that the edh banlist commitee might be a bunch of monkey that only listen to player complaint instead of actual card power.

- Bargaining
    Quote from DokuDokuH
    I guess I was one of like 3 people who didn't use sypri in a degenerate way? Anyways, for animar (the only deck that ran him), I'm giving people a choice - I can either keep playing him, OR I can swap him out for Palinchron and go infinite, their choice.

- Depression
    Quote from Voxxen
    This ban has me feeling ornery and antisocial.
    Food Chain into Prossh.
    Erayo into Edric.
    Sadness into "New to EDH? Here have a deck to play. Keep it."

- Acceptance
    Nope, Spikes will not reach this stage, they are too mature for that. Instead, they will still complain one year from now, like what they are doing with Primeval Titan!
    -signature sponsorized by "Competitive players are always mature and they adapt, casual players are just noob whiny children"™-
    My LGS announced preorders on facebook on 8 October. 9 October I preordered and paid. 11 October it was no longer possible to preorder. The demand is much higher than supply and my LGS is only able to get a small percentage of what they ordered from the distributor.
    Limited print run and limited initial allocation are two very different things. For products with short print runs (commander's arsenal, Modern Masters), Wizards has always announced that to some extent up-front.

My LGS sold out of their shipment of Heroes vs Monsters in the weekend it was released, but I can still buy a bazillion of them within a 20 mile radius if I wanted to.
    When is necropotence being reprinted?

My Trade Thread!
    The first Commander decks have been one of the most successful Magic products Wizards has sold for the last years: why the hell should they limit their distribution? People in USA will be able to catch them at Walmart, so I don't think there will be any problem to buy them in a "real" store or online, and at a fair price. Even casual players should find as many copies as they want. Things could be a bit more complicated here in Europe (I'm Italian), but I don't expect to have any problems to buy one of each decks if I want to.

The only difference I could think of could be the distribution of the amount of copies, making two or three different waves in order to let them stay on the shelves for a longer period...
    If this is true, this is some truly monumental incompetence on WOTC's part.

Count me out at anything above MSRP. EDH is by far my primary format, but I'm not going to support incredibly dumb and short-sighted business practices (if that's the case). I didn't buy Commander's Arsenal either.
    The initial run may be allocated, however I have been told that it is NOT a single print run item. Which is what matters ultimately.
    I am so glad my store always sells things at MSRP and that I preordered the Jund deck already. Colorwise out of the Shards I favor Jund or Naya. I liked the Jund general more than the Naya and I still like Prossh over the newly revealed Naya general.
    "If we don't know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can't anticipate our future actions!"
    -Anonymous
    Official DCI Rules Advisor
    Main EDH
    B Mikaeus' Zombie Menace
    Modern
    W Soul Sisters
    I just want to point out something to people who doubt the power of Squadron Hawk in Modern. I won game one against R/G Tron, off of a Mull to 5, because of Squadron Hawk.

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes