Polukranos and theros preview card [updated with correct wording 8/15]

Overheard from a reliable source:

Polukranos 2GG
    Legendary
    5/5

Monstrosity - XXG: Put X +1/+1 counters on Polukranos; Polukranos then deals damage equal to the number of counters put onto Polukranos this way divided as you choose among any number of target creatures (or possibly fights any number of target creatures). Activate this ability only once.

Some Boros guy 1WR
    Legendary
    3/2

first strike, vigilance
    Heroic - Whenever cardname is the target of a spell you control, creeatures you control get +1/+1, and gain trample until end of turn.

Some finer details may be different (like Polukranos' damage dealt/fight and his other abilities), but it should be somewhat accurate. Take it with a grain of salt.

Included in DD: Pyrokinesis, Deus of Calamity, Nobilis of War

viper's edit: Correct wording for Polukranos is as follows:

Polukranos, World-Eater 2GG
    Legendary Creature - Hydra
    xxG: Monstrosity X. (If this creature isn’t monstrous, put X +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)
    When Polukranos, World Eater becomes monstrous, it deals X damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures your opponents control. Each of those creatures deals damage equal to its power to Polukranos.
    5/5

TK EDIT: I've formatted Polukranos from my multiple notes, so it should look like this. It's not a final version, but what I've pieced together.
    [QUOTE=TK-421;/comments/12009545]As best I know it's this:

Polukranos, World-Eater 2GG
    Legendary Creature - Hydra
    Monstrosity - XXG, : Put X +1/+1 counters on Polukranos. Then, Polukranos deals damage equal to the number of counters put onto Polukranos this way among any number of target creatures. Those creatures deal damage to Polukranos equal to their power. Activate this ability only if there are no counters on Polukranos.
    5/5
    Last edited by TK-421: 8/16/2013 6:19:54 AM
    So Monstrosity would always be direct damage? It doesn't seem like that fits green, and it would only barely work in black. If it's an ability word, maybe, but it seems awfully limited in scope if it's "delayed kicker that gives +1/+1 counters and damage."
    EDIT: I guess I can believe a one-off activated ability, it's the "15 minutes of fame" version of monsterdom
    Last edited by Gerrard's Mom: 8/10/2013 1:39:16 AM
    w0w -
    Sound like 'Monstrosity' is quite a monstrous mechanic.
    MTG REALM : MAIN SITE : TUMBLR : TWITTER

~
    If the Boros guy is accurate, then young pyromancer just got even more fabulous...

Quote from Gerrard"s Mom
    So Monstrosity would always be direct damage? It doesn't seem like that fits green, and it would only barely work in black. If it's an ability word, maybe, but it seems awfully limited in scope if it's "delayed kicker that gives +1/+1 counters and trample."

It could fit the flavor of a hydra.
    Last edited by TK-421: 8/9/2013 5:36:20 PM
    Quote from Gerrard"s Mom
    So Monstrosity would always be direct damage? It doesn't seem like that fits green, and it would only barely work in black. If it's an ability word, maybe, but it seems awfully limited in scope if it's "delayed kicker that gives +1/+1 counters and trample."

I think Monstrosity more likely involves "Activate this ability only once."
    Quote from PMega
    I think Monstrosity more likely involves "Activate this ability only once."

Bingo
    Baneslayer Angel- Pro Demons and Dragons

Malfegor- Demon Dragon: only creature in the history of magic that is both of Baneslayer's protections. Can kill Baneslayer.

Win
    ok, these make no sense color wise.

the boros guy giving trample seems very green, and the green guy dealing damage. come on, green doesn't get to kill creatures via damage.

I also find it suspicious that the two cards are very important, one legendary and the other an unknown mechanic. I call fake.
    I dunno. They said that this hydra had the ffl worried, and I would hardly call this worrisome. That other hydra that just came out seems like it would be way more problematic than this card.
    Calling fake on these. Color pie is off. Also, "activate this ability only once" could lead to problems when people dispute whether or not it has been done in cases where it may not involve counters.

Also, "World Eater," which is part of Polukranos' name, sounds like LD to me. This card is a colorshifted red card that is clearly not LD.
    The only good EDH is the kind with Smokestack.
    Quote from Firebrand
    Calling fake on these. Color pie is off. Also, "activate this ability only once" could lead to problems when people dispute whether or not it has been done in cases where it may not involve counters.

Also, "World Eater," which is part of Polukranos' name, sounds like LD to me. This card is a colorshifted red card that is clearly not LD.

Colorshifted how? The closest analogue I can think of off the top of my head is Hunt the Weak (with a smaller fight ability) stapled onto a Deadbridge Goliath. And I'm pretty sure that "World Eater" doesn't automatically imply land destruction.

I'm not sure what to think, but it seems just mechanically unique enough to be real. I do like the idea of monstrosity creatures acting like a final boss that levels up or changes form in the middle of the fight. The Boros legend seems fun to build around as well.
    I could confirm they are not fake.
    Quote from varoan
    ok, these make no sense color wise.

the boros guy giving trample seems very green, and the green guy dealing damage. come on, green doesn't get to kill creatures via damage.

I also find it suspicious that the two cards are very important, one legendary and the other an unknown mechanic. I call fake.

Red gives trample so no qualm there. There is plenty of counters in RTR/M14, in green/red/black mind you, so the monster ability is believable.

Standard
    W.I.P.
    EDH
    WNorn Tokens
    Guess we will just have to let the mods confirm the source and all that.
    I do feel it's to early to be getting CARD cards, but something like this is always possible.

If Polukranos is really a 5/5 for 4 with a "grow huge and shoot something" ability, then it's very playable. Even if it is only usable once.

The Boros guy seems kinda "meh" for constructed, but maybe the "new humans" will run him (there's not going to be a 'new human' deck, BTW).
    Nodding the Affirmative
    Read 5ColorControl please.

Talk to me off topic here
    Wow if this is acurate polukranos is very very freaking good ( In Limited)
    about Kalonian Hydra
    Quote from Georg51
    Then you have to make a fool of yourself by suggesting that I would ever lose to you playing this soon-to-be junk Mythic.
    Addition: The deck contains a pyrokinesis with new art, too
    Quote from Queeg
    Addition: The deck contains a pyrokinesis with new art, too

Ah, the old 2 for 1 to 4 Pyrokinesis. That might see some play, if X/1's see play and/or a burn deck is viable.

(again, assuming this guy's legit. BTW, this does not mean they're reprinting the cycle, no Force of Will. Please, let's not pretend that's possible.)

I am intrigued, yet suspicious.

Also, I can understand why development would be worried about this card.
    Is actually rather hairy.
    Level 1 Judge
    I write flavor articles for RoxieCards.
    I play Magic at Freedom Cardboard in Alpharetta, Georgia.
    Quote from Taylor
    Ah, the old 2 for 1 to 4 Pyrokinesis. That might see some play, if X/1's see play and/or a burn deck is viable.

They are from DD H Vs M thus maybe its not on THEROS
    about Kalonian Hydra
    Quote from Georg51
    Then you have to make a fool of yourself by suggesting that I would ever lose to you playing this soon-to-be junk Mythic.
    Quote from leslak
    They are from DD H Vs M thus maybe its not on THEROS

Ah, my mistake. Well, and we know there is no blue in that DD, so Shocked

Yeah, if true the Hydra has a very nice bonus on top of being a solid 5/5 for 2GG.

I mean those saying it won't see play were doing the same dance with Deadbridge Goliath. This card in most cases is better then Deadbridge in a vacuum and will likely see more play. If this set has a likely +1/+1 counters matter due to hydras seeming to be a big thing in Theros, the card might find its way into even more decks.

Feel free to bid on my cards here!
    Quote from darklord
    I could confirm they are not fake.

Are you the reliable source or did both you and the OP see Polukranos from a third source?

Also, does Polukranos deal damage to creatures, players, or both? If it deals damage to creatures, I can see it as a very dangerous guy in Modern Pod decks...(after all, Olivia Voldaren is in currently terrible Pod colours).
    I hope that boros legend, or something along those lines is real. I'm really tired of having only 4+ CMC commanders in that guild.
    Polukranos is fantastic (assuming these are real.) I can see it being incredible in Modern and Standard.
    Also, if so, this is the "tweaked" mechanic (epic)
    GreenMunchkin's Trades! Will add quality commons/uncommons soon!
    Quotes:

Quote from void_nothing
    Erebos, as the God of Wealth, is sitting on billions of mint-condition Alpha Power Nines and stuff.

Quote from Jivanmukta
    See how Oloro sits on that throne like a boss? He's from whatever badass chair plane Vish Kal is from.

Quote from genini1
    Zombie chicks are dead sexy on no less than 2 levels.

Also second creature has Heroic, so all heroes have probably When this is target of spell you control your team gains some bonus.
    Quote from GreenMunchkin
    Polukranos is fantastic (assuming these are real.) I can see it being incredible in Modern and Standard.
    Also, if so, this is the "tweaked" mechanic (epic)

the "tweaked" has somthing to do with the gods..

Lol the hero is crazy
    about Kalonian Hydra
    Quote from Georg51
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes