The Path of the Hero - Theros Block Prerelease, Release, and Game Day Events

I like prerelease gimmicks and i think this one is pretty rad.

One wierd gripe I have is that the Hero's Journey generally applies to anything and everything whether you want it to or not. The way JosephCampbell writes about it, it isnt just a trope of greek mythology, but all mythologies, our dreams, our lifetimes, psychology, any and all narrative media since the very first stories, potentially most games of magic... certainly each magic block has a story and they all follow the heros journey.

Any way that said it seems wierd to say: "THIS TIME we're doing the Hero's Journey!" But the gimmick is something new so im interested.
    Playing:

EDH:
    Niv-Mizzet

Legacy:
    The Rack

Modern
    Venser, the Sojourner Control
    Grats WotC on stealing the idea of raid decks from WoW TCG. That's not to say it isn't fun, because the raid and dungeon decks from WoW TCG were amazingly fun. And I hope WotC gets it right and its equally fun with Magic. But, this is definitely not an original idea. More like a functional reprint.
    Quote from wallycaine
    They said "You shuffle up your Standard deck"

Quote from Mr.Big.D
    It states Standard, which means you can't insta-win with whatever you want sadly.

Too bad. Frown I was going to have fun with that one. I normally don't even go to game day as I don't play Standard, just Limited and Legacy/Vintage. I was planning to come just to curb stomp the hydra with a fun deck. Oh well. Slant

Sig by Rivenor

Cube. The best way to play Magic. PERIOD. Come over and check it out. Also, check out my Peasant Split Card Cube. I Love It When A Plan Comes Together

The World of Pokemon RPG has been rebooted. Come over and check it out. Psyshiro Duckezawa

Set Creation Projects: We Can Do ItArchester: Frontier of Steam Yar! Come over and check out our AWESOME Steampunk set.

(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)
    ugh... they may have gone too far with this.

are most magic players really 8 year olds that find stuff like this fun?

most magic players i know just want to PLAY MAGIC when they go to the prerelease. they dont care about the achievement card bullcrap. they just want to play magic.

and now they are trying to push this on us? gg wotc. gg.
    http://www.wizards.com/wpn/News/Article.aspx?x=2013_07_24_THEIntro

I noticed on the retailers' Hero's Path page, the Hydra deck will be available for purchase for $11.99.
    Last edited by fireshoes: 7/24/2013 1:48:13 PM
    Why are we rehashing Archenemy with prize support? The format was awful, turning it into a release event won't make it more enjoyable.

Anyway, wont everyone just build silly Black/Red removal decks with the Avenger card? Or whatever the strongest "win on turn three" standard deck is? Unless the Hydra deck is t1 capable, I don't see how it'll hold up. And if it is T1 capable wont people just say "Oh yes, I won. Give me my prize"?
    Cyme we inne frið, fram the grip of deaþ to lif inne ðis smylte land.
    I have a couple of tweets for you from a Wizards of the coast employee regarding this information
    https://twitter.com/davetron/status/360065617199513600
    I should also note - the Hero cards and the Hydra challenge deck are optional and additional; Theros is still an amazing set on its own!

Thus, you can just use your seeded pack and that's all the decisions you will have to do.
    Currently playing
    Dega midrange 1-0
    Quote from Raptor1210
    Too bad. Frown I was going to have fun with that one. I normally don't even go to game day as I don't play Standard, just Limited and Legacy/Vintage. I was planning to come just to curb stomp the hydra with a fun deck. Oh well. Slant

You're in luck here is a tweet from the article writer.

https://twitter.com/davetron/status/360065835232010241
    Also, since I have been receiving this Q a lot: You can use any deck to Face the Hydra (difficulty will vary), it's just designed v. Std.
    Currently playing
    Dega midrange 1-0
    Since they introduced them, I never understood why we need to "enhance" a cool sealed pre-release with brand new cards with those gimmicks. They are distracting, unnecessary, and partly even akward. Roar like a dragon? Uh, no thanks, I had my 8th birthday quite a while ago.
    Quote from lord_dralnu
    Grats WotC on stealing the idea of raid decks from WoW TCG. That's not to say it isn't fun, because the raid and dungeon decks from WoW TCG were amazingly fun. And I hope WotC gets it right and its equally fun with Magic. But, this is definitely not an original idea. More like a functional reprint.

To be fair, there were other CCGs that did that idea before WoW did. Call of Cthulhu had the "Yithian Deck" that was nigh impossible to beat, and Game of Thrones had a yearly "Wildlings Deck" that you could try and beat for prizes.
    www.mtgotraders.com - Enter Code PANDAPAYPAL for 8% off!
    www.CapeFearGames.com - Enter Code PANDA for 5% off!
    Limit of 1 coupon per order
    Quote from chipanddale45
    You're in luck here is a tweet from the article writer.

https://twitter.com/davetron/status/360065835232010241
    Also, since I have been receiving this Q a lot: You can use any deck to Face the Hydra (difficulty will vary), it's just designed v. Std.

Teysa EDH deck says hello to the hydra. Exile all the heads.
    It's Hip to be a Square
    Quote from Megiddo on relying on Modgaming »
    Welcome to Mafia, where everything's made up and behavior doesn't matter.

GBMoldy TrashBG
    WGCaptain's ConundrumGW
    :symr::symu:Don't be Flippant:symu::symr:
    BWCount Your BlessingsWB
    RSnowSnow Pain, Snow GainSnowU
    UBRLord of the DammedRBU
    RWEquipped for WarWR
    :symg::symtap::symu:I'd Tap That:symu::symq::symg:
    :symub:Fae Day:symbu:
    !OH GOD NOT OPTIONAL THINGS I CAN ELECT NOT TO DO! ANYTHING BUT LETTING ME OPT NOT TO PARTICIPATE IN SOMETHING THAT IS THERE FOR THE FUN OF THOSE WHO WANT TO ENJOY IT!

most of my opponents at these things are robotic enough already. I like the optional things that break up the grindy feel of an event that's supposed to be fun. It also encourages more people to show up, and to have fun, which is a good thing. Stop sucking the life out of things by whining about silly things you can choose to ignore. Most magic players need the bug up their ass to die because all it does is promote negative stigmas about this game and the people associated with it. Complaining about optional things at an even designed around having fun doesnt help anyone.

oh. Also. I can't wait to try these new gimmicks out. The ones for rtr block I had a lot of fun with.
    Quote from fireshoes
    http://www.wizards.com/wpn/News/Article.aspx?x=2013_07_24_THEIntro

I noticed on the retailers' Hero's Path page, the Hydra deck will be available for purchase for $11.99.

Launch Weekend

Theros launches to the public on September 27th and will kick off with your Friday Night Magic. Hero's Path Quest #2 will bring players to your store to receive a "Gift from the Gods" by solving a puzzle hidden within the Poster Puzzle included in your Theros Launch Weekend kit. Once they've discovered the solution they can report it to you or the employee(s) managing your Launch Weekend festivities to receive a second Hero Card. If a player participates in your Launch Weekend event but doesn't opt to solve the puzzle, you should still give them a Launch Promo card for participating. Make sure to sanction your Launch Weekend by August 7th to be able to participate in these festivities.

Game Day

On October 19th and 20th Theros Game Day takes place at your store and players will be back to battle using their Standard decks for the third quest on the Hero's Path: Face the Hydra! Using a special Challenge Deck provided to you, the retailer, in your Game Day materials players will battle the Hydra, one of the epic monsters of the plane of Theros. The Challenge Deck is a special self-running deck with its own set of rules, and you can encourage players to pilot it against one another one-on-one or in groups of up to four with guidance from the included instructional playmat (freeing you and your staff to manage your event!). (A player doesn't need to participate in the Game Day tournament to attempt to defeat the Hydra; Theros Game Day is bigger than a single tournament!)

This is the first opportunity for your players to utilize the Hero Cards they received at your Prerelease and Launch Weekend and marks a first-of-its-kind event that will have your players talking. Beating the Hydra also awards your players their third Hero Card, which they'll be able to use for quests at future Hero's Path events during Born of the Gods and Journey into Nyx. The Face the Hydra Challenge Deck will also be made available as a saleable product for $11.99; make sure to prominently display yours to build excitement around your Game Day event and the Face the Hydra quest itself.

For more information about the Hydra Challenge Deck ordering information, make sure to read the solicitations here.

That's not all for the Hero's Path, which will see your players finish six more quests over the course of Born of the Gods and Journey into Nyx. Theros will be an exciting kickoff to this unprecedented organized play offering that will no doubt have your players excited. Make sure to be prepared to handle the social scavenger hunt activity at your Prerelease, the puzzle poster at your Launch Weekend, and the Face the Hydra Challenge Deck at your Game Day, and as always check the Theros Retailer Resource Page every week for new information for retailers as well as solicitations for these events, promotions, and products.

Yeah people complainig about this don't have to participate. The hero' path is for fun and an aditional event. Pre-release, Release , Game Day will go like they did in RTR ( Pre- Release: one nonrandom pack + 5 Theros packs.).
    Soo why complain?
    Last edited by leslak: 7/24/2013 2:24:41 PM
    about Kalonian Hydra
    Quote from Georg51
    Then you have to make a fool of yourself by suggesting that I would ever lose to you playing this soon-to-be junk Mythic.
    Quote from mr. smiley
    Side note--who's going to be playing the Hydra all day?--judges, tournament organizers/owners, add'l store employees?--Each does have other responsibilities which will take them away from the 24+ people who might want to beat the Hydra.

Who wouldn't want to have chance at using the hydra deck, you could have another players use it. All you really need is someone with a brain working the deck to make it function.
    Quote from ty blitzer
    Who wouldn't want to have chance at using the hydra deck, you could have another players use it. All you really need is someone with a brain working the deck to make it function.

If you look at the one sorcery card we know from the hydra deck, no player is needed. You and your friends just play, then after each turn you reveal the top card of the hydra deck and play it. The hydra doesn't have a hand.

Maybe I'll play Wizard Tower vs Hydra deck lol.
    My guess for the returning mechanic in Theros: Scry
    Maybe we'll see "Runes" as a new type of enchantments Nodding the Affirmative
    Kiora for Born of the Gods, maybe?
    4 ability planeswalker in Theros block, go!
    2014 Block: Monocolor matters
    2015 Block: Zendikar 2.0
    2016 Block: Bizzaralara
    Quote from Dradjeel
    They have a vision of what they want the prerelease to be, and it could well be that Spike is not welcome in them.

Sealed isn't for Spikes anyway, though giving the RtR nonrandom-pack thing another try does decrease a bit of the randomness.
    I don't plan on participating for the Hero events, but I'll gladly take everyone's hero cards. I enjoy the art.
    It's Hip to be a Square
    Quote from Megiddo on relying on Modgaming »
    Welcome to Mafia, where everything's made up and behavior doesn't matter.

GBMoldy TrashBG
    WGCaptain's ConundrumGW
    :symr::symu:Don't be Flippant:symu::symr:
    BWCount Your BlessingsWB
    RSnowSnow Pain, Snow GainSnowU
    UBRLord of the DammedRBU
    RWEquipped for WarWR
    :symg::symtap::symu:I'd Tap That:symu::symq::symg:
    :symub:Fae Day:symbu:
    Quote from Dradjeel
    "Noobs" aside, I bet this is WOTC trying hard to alienate a lot of people from the prereleases in a kind of eugenicistic meddling with the metagame. They have a vision of what they want the prerelease to be, and it could well be that Spike is not welcome in them.

If true, it's an empty endeavor. If there are prizes to be had, spikes will attend.
    I'm not complaining about something I don't have to do. I just don't see this going well. This alienates hardcore players who think they're too smart to enjoy this and I don't see casual players that usually go for this stuff going to all nine events, knowing that they exist, keeping track of all the materials you need to play, or even caring about the achievements. Very few people are going to want or even be able to partake in this experience to the fullest.
    Hero Cards are not for use at the Prerelease;

Weak.

Interest level just plummeted.
    Playing since 1994. Competing since 2004.
    How you should approach every game of Magic.
    Mod Helpdesk
    My Flawless Score MCC Card | My Other One | # Three!
    Quote from Dire Wombat
    Don't worry Pseudofate, we still love you. No state-based action will ever cause you to become unattached from our hearts.

Quote from S1yDevi1
    Not gonna lie, this made me go half chub.

Quote from DeftJackal
    Lol, only the limited forum would have a thread saying to be nicer to the trolls.
    Quote from Kajillion
    Most of the people at the Dragon's Maze prerelease I went had no idea what the guilds were and just asked for colors.

yeah... i don't think i'll believe that
    The 5 stage of grief: how Spikes reacted to Sylvan Primordial ban:
    - Denial
    Quote from Wonderland
    As of Feb 03, 2014 Sylvan Primordial isn't banned as per WOTC rulings.

- Anger
    Quote from DCDT-Dito
    our group as decided to avoid most of the ban because whe believe that the edh banlist commitee might be a bunch of monkey that only listen to player complaint instead of actual card power.

- Bargaining
    Quote from DokuDokuH
    I guess I was one of like 3 people who didn't use sypri in a degenerate way? Anyways, for animar (the only deck that ran him), I'm giving people a choice - I can either keep playing him, OR I can swap him out for Palinchron and go infinite, their choice.

- Depression
    Quote from Voxxen
    This ban has me feeling ornery and antisocial.
    Food Chain into Prossh.
    Erayo into Edric.
    Sadness into "New to EDH? Here have a deck to play. Keep it."

- Acceptance
    Nope, Spikes will not reach this stage, they are too mature for that. Instead, they will still complain one year from now, like what they are doing with Primeval Titan!
    -signature sponsorized by "Competitive players are always mature and they adapt, casual players are just noob whiny children"™-
    I don't particularly care for gimmicks at pre-releases.

Though they're nice to have nonetheless and draw new blood to the game.
    Quote from nicolarre
    Sorry i killed your dark confidant. Here's some squirrels.

Quote from mishima_kazuya
    I will chop my balls off if Mike Flores ever wins a pro tour.

I wish my 4/4s with haste and first strike that acted as Goblin Warchiefs were better and didn't die to instants and overshadowed all other 4 drops in the format. And that they had evasion too, and some way to dodge wrath effects.

My current decks!
    http://tappedout.net/users/ThePhasewalker/
    i was thinking how the hydra' chagenge works....
    I can be wrong but would be nice to have some thing like this:
    the Hydra starts the game with 1 head up and 2 heads down....
    whenever we kill a head... we put the other heads up.
    At the end or beggining of the hydra' turn: it reveals the top card of its library:
    If its a head then the hydra puts it face down.
    it its a sorcery then the hydra plays it.

players attack the heads.
    Whenever the hydra casts a spell or one of it's heads is cut, the hydra puts it on the botton of its deck.

when all the heads fall the hydra lose...

EDIT:

And for some Hard modes: if a player play as the hydra then he choices what head he or she starts the game with and are face down. Or the Hydra can start the game with more heads or draw more cards per Turn...
    Last edited by leslak: 7/24/2013 5:06:33 PM
    about Kalonian Hydra
    Quote from Georg51
    Then you have to make a fool of yourself by suggesting that I would ever lose to you playing this soon-to-be junk Mythic.
    Really it's obvious they just want to get people to attend all three events, by giving us stuff we can't use until the last event at the previous 2. I think it's good we don't get to use them in the actual sealed because, while I hate to sound like "that guy", I want to roll up and play some magic sealed. Not some psuedo-sealed format. I'm all for changes to gameplay and new innovations, but this would be silly, letting us have these hero cards in play from the start.

On the flip side, I don't get why people are complaining about the event setup they DO have. Pre-releases are a time we get to have more fun than usual. It's casual, and probably the most appropriate time to throw a little vorthos love out and get us all to dip our toes into the flavour. That said, the helvault was stupid weaksauce because they promised so much and delivered so little.. As long as they don't punt like that again, I'm good.

Sure is a nice Library you got there.. be a shame if something were to happen to it...
    Quote from leslak
    i was thinking how the hydra' chagenge works....
    I can be wrong but would be nice to have some thing like this:
    the Hydra starts the game with 1 head up and 2 heads down....
    whenever we kill a head... we put the other heads up.
    At the end or beggining of the hydra' turn: it reveals the top card of its library:
    If its a head then the hydra puts it face down.
    it its a sorcery then the hydra plays it.

players attack the heads.
    Whenever the hydra casts a spell or one of it's heads is cut, the hydra puts it on the botton of its deck.

when all the heads fall the hydra lose...

It may just work like Horde magic. The deck flips cards face up and casts every single one until you get to a certain type of card every turn.

Every damage discards a card of the deck like the Dragonball Z TCG. You kill the Hydra by dealing enough damage to mill the whole deck and remove everything on the field, so you will always fight more and more heads.
    Last edited by RoblinTheGoblin: 7/24/2013 5:15:38 PM

RoblinTheGoblin's Pro M15 Template:

RoblinTheGoblin's Pro M15 Template v1.2

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes