[Update 2/13/2014: Announced!] Magic: The Gathering - Conspiracy

On July 22, 2013, WoTC filed for this new trademark. What could it be for?

UPDATE 1/31/2014:

From what we learned in this thread, Conspiracy can now be considered confirmed. What we know so far:
    • Conspiracy will be the name of this year's summer supplemental product.
    • The set will have 210 cards in total, including new cards.
    • The set will be designed for multiplayer and is meant to be drafted. Special rules are unknown at this time.
    • Two specific cards, Magister of Worth and Cogwork Librarian are known from WoTC's unusual marketing campaign.

UPDATE 2/13/2014:

Official announcement:

Pick. Plot. Play

Experience a Magic format where the intrigues begin long before the first spells are cast! Revolutionary new abilities impact every part of the play experience, starting with the draft itself.

Cogwork Librarian—One of the sixty new Magic cards in Conspiracy.

The first-ever multiplayer-focused booster set has new Magic cards with new mechanics that enhance multiplayer play. Returning favorites from throughout Magic's history round out the set and cultivate an environment of deception and treachery. The Magic: The Gathering–Conspiracy set is designed to be drafted with six to eight players who then split into groups of three or four players for free-for-all multiplayer games.

Set Name: Magic: The Gathering–Conspiracy
    Number of Cards: 210
    Release Date: June 6, 2014
    Three-Letter Abbreviation: CNS
    Twitter Hashtag: #MTGCNS

Initial Concept and Game Design: Shawn Main (lead), Dan Helland, David Humpherys, Kenneth Nagle, and Matt Tabak
    Final Game Design and Development: David Humpherys (lead), Dan Emmons, K. Joseph Huber, Sam Stoddard, and Gavin Verhey, with contributions from Matt Tabak
    Languages: English, Japanese, Chinese Simplified
    Available in: Booster Packs

Key Points:
    Multiplayer Booster Draft Format
    15 Card Booster Packs (MSRP $3.99)
    36 Packs per Display
    Black-Bordered Cards

Release event promo card at participating WPN locations.
    ATTACHMENTS
    • webcontent
    Last edited by fnord: 2/13/2014 12:49:16 AM

Practice for Journey into Nyx Limited:
    Draft: (#1) (#2) (#3)
    Your username is extra appropriate now, fnord!

New variant format gogogo.
    Proud NYU Scrub, CAS '14 - empyreanobscure on tumblr - Clan Flamingo YMTC Co-Runner
    Seems like a special set which takes place in modern times and everyone is paranoid. OR its another "unhinged/unglued" type set

GRWMayael, the AnimaWRG
    GUBDamia, Sage of StoneBUG

"A man is defined by his sacrifices rather than his gifts"
    The first movie in the upcoming trilogy?
    Quote from Garruk2.0
    Seems like a special set which takes place in modern times and everyone is paranoid. OR its another "unhinged/unglued" type set

Too serious-sounding for that.

Inb4 Huey is Conspiracy.
    Proud NYU Scrub, CAS '14 - empyreanobscure on tumblr - Clan Flamingo YMTC Co-Runner
    Then the only other option is a set about trains.

GRWMayael, the AnimaWRG
    GUBDamia, Sage of StoneBUG

"A man is defined by his sacrifices rather than his gifts"
    Don't suppose we could get a source to verify?
    Is actually rather hairy.
    Level 1 Judge
    I write flavor articles for RoxieCards.
    I play Magic at Freedom Cardboard in Alpharetta, Georgia.
    Maybe a novel? It sounds too serious to be a set name.

A new multiplayer variant maybe.
    Quote from nicolarre
    Sorry i killed your dark confidant. Here's some squirrels.

Quote from mishima_kazuya
    I will chop my balls off if Mike Flores ever wins a pro tour.

I wish my 4/4s with haste and first strike that acted as Goblin Warchiefs were better and didn't die to instants and overshadowed all other 4 drops in the format. And that they had evasion too, and some way to dodge wrath effects.

My current decks!
    http://tappedout.net/users/ThePhasewalker/
    WotC's finally admitting the fact that they're run by the Illuminati?

But seriously, it sounds like a new casual format, a la Planechase or Archenemy. MtG meets Mafia?
    Could be a new Summer format, Perhaps?

Like Planechase and Archenemy?

Avatar and Sig made by my Brother, Rai Kerensky.

⑨Rai's Little Brother⑨TradesNewTrades⑨Official Hugger of [The Crafters]⑨Need a hug?
    All I could think of is some kind of MtG version of the Battlestar Galacticia board game, where each player is secretly giving an alignment card at the beginning of the game, and the "bad guys" can subtle sabotage the game. I have no idea how you could implement that into MtG though.
    Quote from Smells_Better
    The first movie in the upcoming trilogy?

Quote from The Phasewalker
    Maybe a novel? It sounds too serious to be a set name.

The category is "IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Card games, trading card games, playing cards and accessories for use therewith" so it doesn't look like it's a movie/novel.

Quote from hairlessThoctar
    Don't suppose we could get a source to verify?

US Trademark applications are publicly searchable, so you can look it up yourself at uspto.gov.

Did Tamiyo really land on Innistrad's moon?
    There is another Eldrazi Titan (4th)!!!!!!!!!!!
    about Kalonian Hydra
    Quote from Georg51
    Then you have to make a fool of yourself by suggesting that I would ever lose to you playing this soon-to-be junk Mythic.
    No, but they did have a Sliver secretly locked within the Helvault.
    Last edited by CommanderZ: 7/27/2013 4:16:00 PM
    Dual lands cheat sheet - Last updated on Apr 12 (Added JOU, updated card prices)

Modern: UR Ninja
    EDH: RG Xenagos, God of Beatdowns
    It was almost a year ago that the Theros trademark was discovered (by Fnord I might ad). By the timing, it could be Huey
    Could it be a summer multiplayer type product, like Planechase or Archenemy?
    The Commander Gauntlet | Lameria
    BGW Ghave, Guru of Spores | UB Vela the Night-Clad | B Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker | R Norin the Wary | RG Stonebrow, Krosan Hero
    GUB The Mimeoplasm | BRG Kresh the Bloodbraided | RGW Uril the Miststalker | WUB Zur the Enchanter | GW Captain Sisay
    RWU Zedruu the Greathearted | UB Grimgrin, Corpse-Born | BR Kaervek the Merciless | BRG Prossh, Skyraider of Kher
    UBR Nicol Bolas | GUB Damia, Sage of Stone | X Karn, Silver Golem | UR Melek, Izzet Paragon
    Here's the link to verify
    http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:9ltwe.2.1
    Is actually rather hairy.
    Level 1 Judge
    I write flavor articles for RoxieCards.
    I play Magic at Freedom Cardboard in Alpharetta, Georgia.
    Quote from Hunter
    It was almost a year ago that the Theros trademark was discovered (by Fnord I might ad). By the timing, it could be Huey

Unlikely, for 2 reasons.

1. It doesn't fit the pattern of Theros and other fall sets, with multiple marks registered at the same time in a bunch of categories.
    2. Every first set of a block since Lorwyn has had the plane name in the name of the set.

At this point, I'd say the most likely possibility is the 2014 summer product.

I know using codenames for guessing about block themes is a bad idea.

Although Live Long and Prosper (Zendikar) refers to aliens (Eldrazi); Rock Paper and Scissors (Alara) refers to a game between three elements (shards); Lights, Camera and Action refer to preparing for a movie (the first two sets story wise were just to prepare the inevitible rebirth of Phyrexia); and Friends, Romans and Countrymen has some connection/connotation with ancient Rome/Greece ("Romans"). Huey, Dewey and Louie are about three rich nephews. The wealthy. Conspiracy. Illuminatii. The idea that there has always been a set up for a conspiracy in the multiverse involving Nicol Bolas... That being said, "Conspiracy" is a SUPER generic name for a block. So unless it was on Dominaria it wouldn't really make sense--as every other block refers to the name of the plane in the first set.

So its far more likely to be a summer set.

Perhaps the Assassin variant format is getting some love? I always felt like that was about conspiracies. Its always been one of my favorites so I certainly hope so!
    Official name for the assassin multiplayer varient? Seems like it could fit.

On Modern Masters 2:
    Quote from Serafiend
    just remember wotc, be sure to keep that print run in check. we don't wanna upset players of mtg: the stock market, after all.

My Ban Senses are tingling about Bloodbraid Elf in Modern. Just Saying. You heard it here first. 10/18/2012.
    ^ Will be kept until 12/31/2013 to prove if Right or Wrong. Proven right 1/27/2013

I vote for a new multiplayer variant.

Maybe you play with the new variant cards face-down, and they all have trigger conditions for flipping up and giving you an effect. It would be a tricky guessing game.
    I hate angels.

Commander:
    B Anowon, the Ruin Sage
    R Bosh, Iron Golem
    GU Experiment Kraj
    BGW Karador, Ghost Chieftain
    URG Riku of Two Reflections
    Whatever it is, I just hope it includes Conspiracy.
    My Decks

T2
    B Infect

Casual
    B Vampires
    BUG Melira
    WUB Arifacts
    RGW Naya
    BGW Skullbriar Revival

Casual EDH
    WBR Kaalia of the Vast
    WB Teysa, Orzhov Scion
    Quote from ultratog1028
    Official name for the assassin multiplayer varient? Seems like it could fit.

This is my guess. Unlike Planechase, I don't think Archenemy really caught on well, so I doubt we'll be seeing a second release for that anytime soon. A new casual multiplayer release based on an old classic seems like a safe alternative for them to try out.
    inb4 "Thoughtseize will be reprinted in Conspiracy" threads.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes