Modern Masters released in 2 Waves confirmed today

Hi !

I just got an email declaring that i will only be receiving 1 of my 9 preordered boxes, since i kew what i was getting into thats fine.

However in that same email it was confirmed that there WILL BE a second Wave of Modern Masters incoming in a few weeks.

Seems like Wizards is doing the smart thing, test the waters with a limited release and and release another wave when they know how big the release should be to prevent a Chronicles desaster Smile

Cheers !
    I kept telling people this, but so many people on here are stubborn and refused to believe that there is a second shipment. The second wave should arrive between June 14th and June 21st.
    Doesn't this happen every time people freak out about set shortages?
    I hate angels.

Commander:
    B Anowon, the Ruin Sage
    R Bosh, Iron Golem
    GU Experiment Kraj
    BGW Karador, Ghost Chieftain
    URG Riku of Two Reflections
    Yes, but from what I've been told by some stores I work with, 2nd wave pricing is over triple what the first wave is.
    DCI Level 2 Judge
    Ask me rules Questions
    Quote from MichaelWhite
    Yes, but from what I've been told by some stores I work with, 2nd wave pricing is over triple what the first wave is.

$24/booster?
    I don't believe even the greediest LGS would charge that,
    let alone WotC.

They're already making a killing on this-
    no need to piss off the consumers with obvious extortion.
    Especially when the entire point of a second print run is to make consumers happier
    (and make more money).

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    Quote from MichaelWhite

Probably because theyre the one tripling the price.
    Quote from MichaelWhite

That's really scary................. I knew there was a second wave coming. I thought it would drop the prices. Forcing a stop to the price gouging. I'm still banking on that and stores getting stuck with $300 booster boxes that they can't sell because the price is too high.
    MSRP does not change from wave to wave, what stores charge might though ^^
    Quote from MichaelWhite

Quote from pylades
    Probably because theyre the one tripling the price.

^^^This. Even my store with massive volume and a store owner that has the lowest prices in all of Orange County that I know of, has still raised the prices of a box to 250 for the second shipment. Thankfully, he isn't raising it above that.

I haven't heard anything about the distributors charging extra for the second wave. It should stay at the same cost for each store. It is just supply and demand. If people will pay it, the stores will continue to jack up the prices.

If you want to see the prices drop, wait a bit before you purchase from the second wave. The box prices are definitely not sustainable above 250 over the next 6 months. In a couple years, sure the price may have gone up over 300, but by then we'll have MM2. That set will be just as desirable as now and hopefully wizards will print a bit more product and maybe stores will sell it for a bit cheaper.
    @Archie- yeah, I can def. see places charging 50% more to make some extra cash on a popular product,
    but 200% more is ludicrous.

And I think you're absolutely right- patience is key if you want a good deal.
    Once the market is saturated with $10 packs and $250 boxes, prices will start to drop.
    I still think I'm just going to stick with buying singles,
    and even there I'm going to wait a bit for prices to drop like they always do with FTV.

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    Because this is a modern set, I don't see prices rising so high that you'll lose money on averagr by opening packs. Although I'm sure the set will be a blast to draft, store owners will be hard-pressed to get $30 drafts going when you could do a $15 draft with the same prize pool.

Sweet sig by DarkNightCavalier
    Yeah that's hilarious if they are raising prices.

Once people see singles prices crashing around a week after release, people will stop cracking boxes and move them sealed which means larger supply. My bet is boxes will dip below $200 on eBay a little before the second wave. You then would be an absolute fool to purchase at $225+. Don't get me wrong, in the long run (8+ months) boxes are going to trend up, up, and up similar to RotE did so quickly because of how fun it was to draft.

Moral of the story with both waves and the GP... there is going to be A LOT of incoming Modern reprints into a market much, much softer than Standard.
    Quote from findogul
    It's an instant speed 5/5 trampler for 4. Wtf do you people want seriously? It has applications in populate/ above the curve beats decks, or in Bant control/ flash. I seriously think anyone mad at this card for any reason other than losing an attacker to instant speed wurm, should go home and make their own awesome card game and leave the rest of us alone.
    If retailers are charging more it's becaus ethey don't want to deal with price cuts from an increased supply.

Say you have a bunch of 'Goyfs you've been trying to offload for $150, but now 'Goyfs are more readily available. You can mitigate this by artificially making the new supply not-so-accessible, and then goyf is still worth $150.

I really hate these people for that. Really do.
    Playing:

EDH:
    Niv-Mizzet

Legacy:
    The Rack

Modern
    Venser, the Sojourner Control
    Quote from Wretchedest
    If retailers are charging more it's becaus ethey don't want to deal with price cuts from an increased supply.

Say you have a bunch of 'Goyfs you've been trying to offload for $150, but now 'Goyfs are more readily available. You can mitigate this by artificially making the new supply not-so-accessible, and then goyf is still worth $150.

I really hate these people for that. Really do.

Yeah....Modern/Legacy players are really starting to get this snobby attitude like they're part of an exclusive MTG club that plays the better version of their game when it comes to newcomers coming in from either Casual formats or Standard.

Ive only been back into Magic for 1 year, and Id LOVE to play Modern...but between having to shell out another $270-280 for Fetchlands ALONE...having to waste another $250-400(not counting 3 Tarmogoyfs) to play the type of Modern deck I want to is just ridiculous.

...and as for Legacy....I wont even get into that. Legacy will soon become the new Vintage. Its hard to enjoy a format where you cannot win because you didnt spend $2000 on a competitive deck, unless you're playing casually...all because WOTC doesnt wanna "upset" collectors and such rather than making their game healthy across the board for ALL comers to play each format.
    Returning Magic: The Gathering Player
    1998-1999 X 2001-2003 X 2008 X 2012-Present

Standard Decks
    Saint Traft Control UWR
    Perfect Mill UB

Modern Decks
    Eternal Command RUG
    Second Breakfast UW
    I wonder what it's really going to take for WotC to realize that short-run **** only caters to 'collectors' (really snobbish hoarders) and StarCityGames. they don't seem to get that Chronicles-level printing is absolutely okay now with the game being as big as it is.

back in the day, Chronicles failed because there wasn't a critical mass of players to exhaust that gigantic supply, but now there is, and everyone's thirsty. doing **** like this is only giving the hoarders and gougers what they want, and the players be damned.
    Quote from xChaospherex

Take your monoblack deck, then set aside 14 swamps. Add 4 Creeping Tar Pits, 4 Darkslick Shores, 4 Drowned Catacombs, and 2 Jwar isle Refuge and add 4 Jace, the Mindsculptors. Your monoblack deck is instantly better. Better yet, drop those refuges, throw in some islands and some mana leaks, and lo and behold, you're now playing a real deck. Congratulations. Welcome to the world of competitive M:TG.
    The game seems to have grown faster than Wizards anticipated. If they really want Modern to take off as a format, they need to lower the cost of entry a bit. The brand new players won't want to drop $100 on a Tarmogoyf and will probably be permanently turned off of the format when they see the steep prices.

There are other decks of course, but the mana base is pretty pricy for any multicolor deck. Honestly, if they reprinted enough Fetches to bring the price down to $10 a pop, would anyone even have the right to complain? They have made it clear that all of those cards will be reprinted and Wizards expresses a lot of frustration towards the Reprint Policy. It did irreparable damage to Legacy. The format will continue, but it can only grow to a point with a finite number of cards.

Modern is their second chance and I don't believe they will let cards reach Legacy prices without intervening. MM1 is a test to see how the markets react. But if they gained two new Modern players for ever collector they infuriated, they are making profit and building their long-term clientele. Wizards gains NOTHING from collectors.

In fact, if anything, I feel that MM1 is Wizards' warning shot at the hoarders saying "We can and will reprint them, so don't think of those cards as a sound investment and don't look at us when MM2 drops in massive amounts and your prices crash. You have been warned."

At the current rate, I am priced completely out of buying MM1. But if it helps the singles deflate a little, I welcome it. The limited supply and the LGS opportunism is frustrating, but I have a good feeling that more reprints are on the way!
    What WotC needs to do is announce Vintage Victors... two years in advance. "Coming in 2015... Vintage Victors will do away with the Reserve List and open up entry for players into what was previously the most exclusive of all Magic formats. Sell your money cards while they still have their value suckas!!!"

I'm actually serious. They should announce the end of the Reserve List at least a year in advance to soften he blow.
    Quote from ArchAvalon
    Yeah....Modern/Legacy players are really starting to get this snobby attitude like they're part of an exclusive MTG club that plays the better version of their game when it comes to newcomers coming in from either Casual formats or Standard.

Ive only been back into Magic for 1 year, and Id LOVE to play Modern...but between having to shell out another $270-280 for Fetchlands ALONE...having to waste another $250-400(not counting 3 Tarmogoyfs) to play the type of Modern deck I want to is just ridiculous.

...and as for Legacy....I wont even get into that. Legacy will soon become the new Vintage. Its hard to enjoy a format where you cannot win because you didnt spend $2000 on a competitive deck, unless you're playing casually...all because WOTC doesnt wanna "upset" collectors and such rather than making their game healthy across the board for ALL comers to play each format.

The problem you seem to be facing is not that of modern/legacy players... but of "poor character" people. These people exist in all of the formats,lumping them like so is not fair.

P.S. you can do fine with a 100$ deck in legacy... they never see it coming
    Laboratory Maniac Kills: 106 and counting OMG
    Did it say whether you are eventually going to get the other 8 boxes or just get our money back.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not." - John Lennon
    The problem you seem to be facing is not that of modern/legacy players... but of "poor character" people. These people exist in all of the formats,lumping them like so is not fair.

P.S. you can do fine with a 100$ deck in legacy... they never see it coming

okay, I'll bite on the possible awful derail: what magical $100 list do you have that can demolish Nic Fit, Stoneblade (and variants), Sneak and Show (and variants), High Tide, etc.?
    Quote from xChaospherex

Take your monoblack deck, then set aside 14 swamps. Add 4 Creeping Tar Pits, 4 Darkslick Shores, 4 Drowned Catacombs, and 2 Jwar isle Refuge and add 4 Jace, the Mindsculptors. Your monoblack deck is instantly better. Better yet, drop those refuges, throw in some islands and some mana leaks, and lo and behold, you're now playing a real deck. Congratulations. Welcome to the world of competitive M:TG.
    Quote from ArchAvalon

I play Legacy and Modern and I didnt find the price barrier of entry high at all.

People seems to largely ignore the completely viable budget decks in legacy and modern and focus only on the high cost decks. Is the barrier of entry to that SPECIFIC deck high? Of course, but does that mean the entire format has a high price entry barrier? Obviously not.

Every format has expensive decks, but every format also has viable budget alternatives to those.

Wanna Trade?
    Standard: RW Boros Sligh
    Modern: RG Karn Tron & UBTezz Affinity & BRG Living End
    Modern: BRG Jund & WWSoul Sisters & WGEnchantress
    EDH: RWB Kaalia of the Vast & WUBRG Slivers

Collection Tracker
    (UPDATED 05/11/2014)
    Because I ****ing called it
    Quote from TheEndIsNear
    4) Do you think there will be a second printing?
    I thought they said they'd be doing a second print run like 2 weeks after
    Quote from Kane49
    However in that same email it was confirmed that there WILL BE a second Wave of Modern Masters incoming in a few weeks.

Seems like Wizards is doing the smart thing, test the waters with a limited release and and release another wave when they know how big the release should be to prevent a Chronicles desaster

That doesn't work the way you think it does. They won't be printing new product in response to demand on a "few weeks" notice. Printed product will be distributed in waves, that's all.

We don't know and never will know how much MM was printed, but I highly doubt we'll see an actual second print run.

Quote from TheEndIsNear
    Because I ****ing called it

Second shipping does not mean second printing. It could easily be one print run sent out in two waves.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes