Magic 2014 Compiled Info

This thread is to be used as a reference tool before posting anything concerning Magic 2014 in the Rumor Mill, and also to keep track of the progression of information on the set thus far. The first post will be kept updated until it’s time for the partial spoiler to take over.

Ignite Your Spark!

Release

Set Name: Magic 2014 Core Set
    Three-Letter Abbreviation: M14
    Twitter Hashtag: #MTGM14
    Number of Cards: 249
    Rarity Distribution: 15 Mythic, 53 Rare, 60 Uncommon, 101 Common, 20 Basic Land
    Release Date: July 19, 2013
    Prerelease Events: July 13-14, 2013
    Magic Online Release Date: July 29, 2013
    Game Day: August 10-11, 2013
    Start Previews on Daily MTG: July 1, 2013

Prerelease Promo: Megantic Sliver
    Launch Promo: Colossal Whale
    Buy a Box Promo: Ratchet Bomb
    Game Day: full-art Hive Stirrings
    Game Day (Top 8): full-art Goblin Diplomats
    Core set league: alternate-art Sliver token

Characteristics
    • The yearly Core Set
    • Even more than the previous set, Magic 2014 is strongly integrated with the digital Duels of the Planeswalkers (D14)
    • Settings: Shandalar, Zendikar
    • Returning mechanic: Slivers
    • The new Slivers only enhance your own Slivers, not every Sliver on the battlefield.
    • No returning Sliver Queen (Reserved List)
    • “unblockable” is changed to “can’t be blocked”
    • “is indestructable” is changed to “has indestructable” .
    • Five planeswalkers (the Lorwyn 5): Chandra, Pyromaster; Garruk, Caller of Beasts; Liliana of the Dark Realms; Jace, Memory Adept, and Ajani, Caller of the Pride
    • No dual lands

Initial Concept and Game Design:
    • Mark Globus (lead)
    • Tom LaPille
    • Adam Lee
    • Shawn Main
    • Ken Troop
    Final Game Design and Development :
    • Dave Guskin (lead)
    • Kelly Digges
    • Aaron Forsythe
    • James Hata
    • Zac Hill
    • Max McCall
    • with contributions from Matt Tabak
    Last edited by Hunter: 6/24/2013 11:10:59 PM

Packaging art

Booster art

New Chandra

Basic lands

ATTACHMENTS
    • M14Boosters
    • NightmareD14
    Last edited by Hunter: 6/25/2013 10:43:34 AM
    The thread is called 2010 compiled info, it should be 2014 compiled info.
    Also spotted earlier was what appeared to be the red equivalent of Staff of the Wild Magus, tentatively named "Staff of the Flame Magus". We can probably infer a cycle.

Btw, the link for Staff of the Wild Magus seems to link to the wrong thread.
    Quote from Jaxck
    The thread is called 2010 compiled info, it should be 2014 compiled info.

Quote from Sniffnoy
    Btw, the link for Staff of the Wild Magus seems to link to the wrong thread.

Corrected, thx!
    I would add Searing Spear to the list as well since it's highly unlikely it would be featured in Chandra's deck in D14 if there was another standard burn spell in M14 instead like Lightning Bolt.

Edit: Chandra's card is probably named Chandra, Flamebringer. Source: http://cghub.com/images/view/477231/
    Last edited by SirBruce: 5/8/2013 3:23:11 AM
    Dig the new art on Nightmare.
    DCI Rules Advisor
    "Do you have the courage to ride with the devil?"

"Knowledge is such a burden. Release it. Release all your fears to me."
    Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

EDH
    blue manaGrimgrin, Corpse-Born (Competitive, UB Combo/Reanimator)black mana(RETIRED)
    DimirLazav, Dimir Mastermind (Competitive, UB Voltron/Control)Dimir

Legacy
    WUManalessBDredgeRG

Mountains tap for red. Islands tap for blue. Comboing out is sweet, especially against you.
    Thank you!
    Have Slivers been confirmed as the actual returning mechanic? Sliver isn't a mechanic, it's a creature type. They also don't work as they did before, there isn't much returning except for the creature type.
    Yeah, I mean that's like saying the legendary creatures were the returning mechanic in M13 or something..
    DCI Rules Advisor
    "Do you have the courage to ride with the devil?"

"Knowledge is such a burden. Release it. Release all your fears to me."
    Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

EDH
    blue manaGrimgrin, Corpse-Born (Competitive, UB Combo/Reanimator)black mana(RETIRED)
    DimirLazav, Dimir Mastermind (Competitive, UB Voltron/Control)Dimir

Legacy
    WUManalessBDredgeRG

Mountains tap for red. Islands tap for blue. Comboing out is sweet, especially against you.
    Just because it's in DOTP doesn't mean it's going to be in the Core Set. Core cards are ones which have the Core set mark on them, and DOTP is not Core. Sorry to be pedantic, but, well, it's true.
    Quote from Neuroticneurok
    Just because it's in DOTP doesn't mean it's going to be in the Core Set. Core cards are ones which have the Core set mark on them, and DOTP is not Core. Sorry to be pedantic, but, well, it's true.

Except that you're wrong. Cards that appear in DoTP are in the next Core Set if they are completely new cards, and are Very Likely to be in the next Core Set if they are Old Cards and not Outdated by R&D standards (the Medallions); broken things in Nicol Bolas' Deck (Moxen) are also obviously not coming back. This logic applies to all the cards that you could only see coming back as Vault foils or Judge foils. If it's in DotP, but looks crazy, it is crazy and is not in the following M-set.

While there are some cards that 'may' be or not be in the Core Set, it is fairly easy to tell by looking at a DoTP card if it will be in the next Core Set or not, by looking at the previous Core Set and asking '*could* this have been in that Set?' For example, Searing Spear. That was in the Last Core Set, and it's in this DoTP set, so there's a Very High likelihood that it's in the next Core Set. Lightning Bolt. That card wasn't in the last Core Set, so even if it gets used by a Boss' deck in DoTP, it is very unlikely it will be in M14.

Lightning Bolt was in Alpha-4th, by the way, then M10 and M11 and PDS: F&L, then it's been gone since M12. I have a gut feeling we'll see it printed in something like a Commander deck again *before* we see it back in the Core Set...but I also think it's possible for it to come back by M17. 4-M10 = 7 Core Sets. M11-M17 = 7 Core Sets. So, soon, but not THAT soon. I only went on a Lightning Bolt tangent because people actually LIKE it a lot, lot more than Counterspell, and there are major groups fans waiting for both to come back. Bolt will come back again, before Counterspell comes back once. They might bring them back together, even. That'd be sweet.
    Last edited by DarthParallax: 5/8/2013 1:03:01 PM
    I don't know what I want my signature to be.

People need to read this fanfiction, though:

www.hpmor.com

I am probably every color-combination it is possible to be, though it's really hard to figure out what it would mean to be 4-colored....it doesn't seem logical to be 4-colored without being 5-colored.
    Quote from Neuroticneurok

But if it's a new card in D14 that has never appeared in cardboard before, you know it's in M14. Beyond that, you are right that it would be inappropriate to speculate that, say, Squadron Hawk is going to be in M14 just because it's in D14.

Release Date:July 19, 2013
    Magic Online Release Date: July 19, 2013

Unless I'm missing official announcement, I believe there is 2 weeks delay between paper and online release.

I guess M14 should be available online from 29 Jul onward.
    This too shall pass.
    Quote from Osamu
    I guess M14 should be available online from 29 Jul onward.

Thx for catching that, you're right.
    So, I looked through some of the screenshots and made out some more new cards:

???? - 3GG
    Instant or Sorcery

???? (Target creature?) ?s (gets?) +7/+7 and gains
    ???? ????f turn. (???? until end of turn?) It must be
    ???? ????able. (Unblockable? Attack this turn of able?)

???? - ???? (Green)
    Sorcery
    Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control. Then that creature fights target creature you don't control.
    He who hestitates is lunch.
    This article also mentions a card "Ogre Battledriver".

Edit: RandomGuy42 points out that it also says that the following cards will be the M14 intro pack rares:

Liliana's Reaver
    Garruk's Horde
    Chandra's Phoenix
    Jace's Mindseeker
    Ajani's Chosen

...so presumably also the Lorwyn 5 are returning in some form.
    Last edited by Sniffnoy: 5/12/2013 10:08:10 AM
    Looks good. Btw under Characteristics it says "rederved list".
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” - C.S. Lewis
    "The Magic 2014 - Core Set will feature:
    - Planeswalkers – Ajani, Jace, Liliana, Chandra, Garruk"
    And Scavenging Ooze is another promo. I doubt they'd use a promo that's only for Commander, so I imagine that means Scavenging Ooze is in M14 along with Ogre Battledriver and Bonscythe Sliver.
    Well it seems WOTC wants the Lorwyn 5 to be the starting lineup, while Planeswalkers like Sorin and Gideon would come off the bench, or be a replacement in case one of the Lorwyn 5 go on IR.
    Quote from NGW
    Dig the new art on Nightmare.

Where is it?
    "I think EDH would be more fun for the majority of participants if players just showed eachother their decks rather than actually playing games out."
    Quote from DarthParallax
    Except that you're wrong. Cards that appear in DoTP are in the next Core Set if they are completely new cards, and are Very Likely to be in the next Core Set if they are Old Cards and not Outdated by R&D standards (the Medallions); broken things in Nicol Bolas' Deck (Moxen) are also obviously not coming back. This logic applies to all the cards that you could only see coming back as Vault foils or Judge foils. If it's in DotP, but looks crazy, it is crazy and is not in the following M-set.

While there are some cards that 'may' be or not be in the Core Set, it is fairly easy to tell by looking at a DoTP card if it will be in the next Core Set or not, by looking at the previous Core Set and asking '*could* this have been in that Set?' For example, Searing Spear. That was in the Last Core Set, and it's in this DoTP set, so there's a Very High likelihood that it's in the next Core Set. Lightning Bolt. That card wasn't in the last Core Set, so even if it gets used by a Boss' deck in DoTP, it is very unlikely it will be in M14.

Lightning Bolt was in Alpha-4th, by the way, then M10 and M11 and PDS: F&L, then it's been gone since M12. I have a gut feeling we'll see it printed in something like a Commander deck again *before* we see it back in the Core Set...but I also think it's possible for it to come back by M17. 4-M10 = 7 Core Sets. M11-M17 = 7 Core Sets. So, soon, but not THAT soon. I only went on a Lightning Bolt tangent because people actually LIKE it a lot, lot more than Counterspell, and there are major groups fans waiting for both to come back. Bolt will come back again, before Counterspell comes back once. They might bring them back together, even. That'd be sweet.

Counterspell isn't coming back, MaRo has said "2 blue, counter target spell is just bonkers." He doesn't like 'bonkers' spells, and R&D has taken down the power level of spells and bumped up creatures to make the game more interactive between players. That being said, Lightning Bolt is doubtful to ever come back, here's why:

Healing Salve has been out.
    Ancestral Recall is too many cards for one mana
    Dark Ritual is waaaay too much turn one mana for standard.(even though I love that card)
    Lightning Bolt is feasibly replaced with Spear for a colorless added to cast, like Cancel. The only thing you lose by switching is a "Turn 1, take 3 to the face." Which is the type of thing MaRo is on a mission to get rid of.
    Giant Growth is the only one in the cycle that can't be played turn 1 in Standard, AND it effects creatures, usually in combat, which is what R&D is looking for.

Sig By Rivenor
    Dimir U/B mana You will not remember my face, your name, or your journey, but in the end... U/B mana Dimir
    Dimir U/B mana You will accede my every command.
    U/B mana Dimir
    Quote from NateTheArtificer
    Counterspell isn't coming back, MaRo has said "2 blue, counter target spell is just bonkers." He doesn't like 'bonkers' spells, and R&D has taken down the power level of spells and bumped up creatures to make the game more interactive between players. That being said, Lightning Bolt is doubtful to ever come back, here's why:

Healing Salve has been out.
    Ancestral Recall is too many cards for one mana
    Dark Ritual is waaaay too much turn one mana for standard.(even though I love that card)
    Lightning Bolt is feasibly replaced with Spear for a colorless added to cast, like Cancel. The only thing you lose by switching is a "Turn 1, take 3 to the face." Which is the type of thing MaRo is on a mission to get rid of.
    Giant Growth is the only one in the cycle that can't be played turn 1 in Standard, AND it effects creatures, usually in combat, which is what R&D is looking for.

Actually, all of those things could have been said before Lightning Bolt came out in M10. It can come back in for the core set again some day; it's just a matter of good timing and all that.
    Will the Lorwyn version of the 5 Planeswalkers be reprinted?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes