Compiled Info

This thread is to be used as a reference tool before posting anything concerning Modern Masters in the Rumor Mill, and also to keep track of the progression of information on the set thus far. The first post will be kept updated until it’s time for the partial spoiler to take over.

Modern Legal Reprints

Release

Set Name: Modern Masters
    Three-Letter Abbreviation: MM
    Twitter Hashtag: #MTGMM
    Number of Cards: 229
    Rarity Distribution: 101 commons, 60 uncommons, 53 rares, and 15 mythic rares.
    Start Previews on Daily MTG: May 27
    Release Date: June 7, 2013
    MTGO Release Date: TBA
    Grand Prix Vegas : Modern Masters Sealed: June 22-23

Characteristics
    • 229 Reprint Cards for the Modern Format, many with new art.
    • Cards are reprints from Eighth Edition through Alara Reborn.
    • New never before printed tokens.
    • 15-card booster packs, one premium (foil) per pack. No Basic Lands in the Set
    • Designed with Draft in mind, archetypes from Modern draftable. (Storm, Fairies, Dredge)
    • 24 Packs per box, MSRP of $6.99 per pack
    • "Conservative" Print run
    • Some cards will shift rarity.
    • English only.

Set Design and Development :
    • Mark Rosewater
    • Shawn Main
    • Ryan Spain
    • Erik Lauer
    • Max McCall

Notable Cards in Modern Masters
    • Tarmogoyf : Mythic Rare
    Last edited by Arcadic: 5/7/2013 7:22:22 AM
    isn't city of brass confirmed for MM? Why not in the spoiler?
    I'm the fire that burns, the choking fog, the storm that rains devastation on my foes. I am a Planeswalker...
    STANDARD:
    UWG Hexproof
    MODERN:
    UW Tron
    LEGACY:
    WUBRG Dredge
    COMMANDER:
    WBG Saprolings(Ghave)
    PAUPER:
    UR Post
    MY CUBE: 720 cards
    Quote from Parker2038
    isn't city of brass confirmed for MM? Why not in the spoiler?

Not confirmed, just speculation based on images.
    Legacy is a non-rotating format.
    cool maybe i can finally get into modern
    WUBFallion Ironwright, Etherium EnvoyWUB
    They should just call this Chronicles 2013. I may get back into Magic because of this.
    Quote from Arska
    Not confirmed, just speculation based on images.

It is confirmed. We know the image is City of Brass (from the artist), and it's being used to advertise the set.
    When do spoilers start?
    EDH:
    Quote from Vic Rattlehead
    When do spoilers start?

May 27th.
    Freshly spoiled on the official website: Dark Confidant
    nice art
    looking for Eternal Foils on MTGO. will pay better than Bots. plz pm me
    There's no number crunch thread for MM yet and I'm not going to start one because I don't feel up to running it myself, so I'm just going to leave this here.

(I guess there might not be much point to doing it, given that we'll probably get so little of it filled in before the set releases. Too bad. Crunching a set of all reprints would be fun. There hasn't been one of those since Tenth Edition.)

Anyway, the point is, the card image gallery is up now, so we can count spans and see how many cards there are in each section.

I count:
    White: 34 cards
    Blue: 35 cards
    Black: 34 cards
    Red: 35 cards
    Green: 35 cards
    Multicolored: 20 cards
    Artifact: 23 cards
    Land: 11 cards

...except that only totals to 227 instead of 229? Something's up. Dunno where the missing two might be. Maybe white and black really have 35 each?
    35 each makes more sense- good catch on the spans!
    http://kirblar024.wordpress.com - I has a blog now!

Current post- Grand Prix KC Modern Postmortem (7/7/13)
    Quote from Kirblar
    35 each makes more sense- good catch on the spans!

It also fits nicely with Aether Spellomb being #196 as first artifact
    if we add one each to white and black tarmogoyf becomes #167 Slant

e: however, there is literally nothing that can come before aether spellbomb in the artifacts section, so it must start at 196. guess they made a mistake somewhere!
    Last edited by Mobiusman: 5/21/2013 11:37:33 AM
    Awesome avatar made by Surfpossum!
    GoodGamery.com
    City of Brass is in the gallery today at #221/229.
    Quote from Mobiusman

e: however, there is literally nothing that can come before aether spellbomb in the artifacts section, so it must start at 196. guess they made a mistake somewhere!

With 35x5, green cards span 141-175. Tarmogoyf appears to be #166. There's no issue.

Quote from Kirblar
    With 35x5, green cards span 141-175. Tarmogoyf appears to be #166. There's no issue.

In the image gallery there are 8 spans after tarmogoyf. So if green ranges from 141-175, goyf is 167.
    GoodGamery.com
    Quote from Mobiusman

Split cards sequentially come between Gold and Artifact cards in set numbering. I think it's entirely possible there are 2x Split cards in this set. Best possibilities afaik are:
    Crime/Punishment
    Hide/Seek

(In Planar Chaos, the split Red cards came in between Shifted and non-Shifted Red cards, so unless WOTC changes numbering, stuff like Dead/Gone or Boom/Bust wouldn't be in the number crunch between artifacts and gold cards)

Hybrid cards also come sequentially between Gold and Artifact cards. Given that we are short one White and one Black card, we could be looking at:
    LIKELY
    Deathbringer Liege (B/W Hybrid)
    Debtors' Knell (B/W Hybrid)
    Divinity of Pride (B/W Hybrid)
    Stillmoon Cavalier (B/W Hybrid)

Also possibly Reaper King
    Quote from Mobiusman
    In the image gallery there are 8 spans after tarmogoyf. So if green ranges from 141-175, goyf is 167.

Ah, ok. Didn't realize you could get that much detail. (Ben's answer above is likely correct - split/hybrid cards "eating" other slots.)
    Last edited by Kirblar: 5/21/2013 2:03:41 PM

Quote from BenBleiweiss
    Split cards sequentially come between Gold and Artifact cards in set numbering. I think it's entirely possible there are 2x Split cards in this set. Best possibilities afaik are:
    Crime/Punishment
    Hide/Seek

(In Planar Chaos, the split Red cards came in between Shifted and non-Shifted Red cards, so unless WOTC changes numbering, stuff like Dead/Gone or Boom/Bust wouldn't be in the number crunch between artifacts and gold cards)

Hybrid cards also come sequentially between Gold and Artifact cards. Given that we are short one White and one Black card, we could be looking at:
    LIKELY
    Deathbringer Liege (B/W Hybrid)
    Debtors' Knell (B/W Hybrid)
    Divinity of Pride (B/W Hybrid)
    Stillmoon Cavalier (B/W Hybrid)

Also possibly Reaper King

The dragon's maze gallery has split cards with the multicoloured cards. Separate hybrids is possible, although I'm skeptical given that the page already has a heading for multicolour and not one for hybrid.

It's worth noting that tarmogoyf is supposed to be 166, so we want the spans to be short one monocolour card. Just not two.
    GoodGamery.com
    If City of Brass is 221, and lands "should" fit into 219-229... then our lands for the set are likely "functional" lands... The Painlands don't fit (three lands before City), the Filterlands don't fit (Cascade would be the only one before City). Shocklands and Karoos would work though, interestingly enough...

Otherwise:

219 - Academy Ruins/Anceint Den
    220 - Blinkmoth/Boseju
    221 - City of Brass
    www.mtgotraders.com - Enter Code PANDAPAYPAL for 8% off!
    www.CapeFearGames.com - Enter Code PANDA for 5% off!
    Limit of 1 coupon per order
    Quote from pandafarmer
    If City of Brass is 221, and lands "should" fit into 219-229... then our lands for the set are likely "functional" lands... The Painlands don't fit (three lands before City), the Filterlands don't fit (Cascade would be the only one before City). Shocklands and Karoos would work though, interestingly enough...

Otherwise:

219 - Academy Ruins/Anceint Den
    220 - Blinkmoth/Boseju
    221 - City of Brass

Only the eventide lands really had supply issues- (EVE/FS were specifically called out by Aaron as problem sets.) I would expect Cascade Bluffs, Flooded Grove, Rugged Prairie, Twilight Mire and Fetid Heath, but not the other 5. Either Blinkmoth or Academy Ruins would be the other likely pre-CoB option.

edit:

219 Academy Ruins/Blinkmoth Nexus
    220 Cascade Bluffs
    221 City of Brass
    222 Fetid Heath
    223 Flooded Grove
    224 Glimmervoid
    225 Grove of the Burnwillows
    226 Horizon Canopy
    227 Mutavault (Mythic?)
    228 Rugged Prarie
    229 Twilight Mire

This is my working list for the lands. Given that Urborg just got a reissue in FTV, I suspect it's unlikely as a reprint here, same with Boseiju.
    Last edited by Kirblar: 5/21/2013 4:42:45 PM

Interestingly enough, Fetchlands would work around City of Brass too as the other ten lands. That is, if they decided to bring the Onslaught fetches into Modern.
    Quote from Buzzo
    Interestingly enough, Fetchlands would work around City of Brass too as the other ten lands. That is, if they decided to bring the Onslaught fetches into Modern.

Confirmed in initial announcement as something they're not doing (bringing Legacy cards into Modern via reprints in MM1.) They are, however, not ruling out the idea for future MM sets. (A timeshifted-style sheet could be amazing.)

Quote from Kirblar

219 Academy Ruins/Blinkmoth Nexus
    220 Cascade Bluffs
    221 City of Brass
    222 Fetid Heath
    223 Flooded Grove
    224 Glimmervoid
    225 Grove of the Burnwillows
    226 Horizon Canopy
    227 Mutavault (Mythic?)
    228 Rugged Prarie
    229 Twilight Mire

I like this list, and Seds said the same thing about the EVE lands on Twitter when I brought up my theory. Also forgot the arti-lands were banned. Not sure if I agree that they'd only print 5 of a ten land cycle, but I can see it laid out like this. Though it wouldn't shock me to see them throw the five uncommon tri-lands in there for the sake of draft, and freeing up more rare space to play with.

EDIT - If we said no to any FTV, and we took out the five EVE lands... this is how I could see it looking if they mixed up rarity a bit to open up rare spots:

219 Academy Ruins
    220 Blinkmoth Nexus
    221 City of Brass
    222 Darksteel Citadel
    223 Gemstome Mine
    224 Glimmervoid
    225 Mutavault
    226 Reflecting Pool
    227 Urza Mine
    228 Urza Power Plant
    229 Urza Tower
    Last edited by pandafarmer: 5/21/2013 5:35:20 PM
    www.mtgotraders.com - Enter Code PANDAPAYPAL for 8% off!
    www.CapeFearGames.com - Enter Code PANDA for 5% off!
    Limit of 1 coupon per order
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes