Modern Masters - Modern Legal Booster Product Announced at Pro Tour RtR

2 years from now we'll probably get the staples from Alara to now, including fetchlands.
    Quote from germanturkey
    decent idea, but it'll drive up prices of current goyfs, then all the reprinted stuff will increase in price. see the shockland reprints. demand will increase, supply probably won't be able to meet demand, and prices will go up.

The demand of the shockland increases because they are now in Standard. Which these cards won't be.
    Commander Decks:
    Rakdos Rakdos Rakdos Lyzolda, the Sacrifice Witch Rakdos Rakdos Rakdos
    Simic Simic Simic Prime Card Drawer Zegana Simic Simic Simic
    Orzhov Azorius Dimir Oloro, Lifegaining Ascetic Dimir Azorius Orzhov
    Gruul Gruul Gruul Stonebrow, Trampling Hero Gruul Gruul Gruul
    red mana red mana red mana Purphoros, God of Pandemonium red mana red mana red mana
    blue mana blue mana blue mana Empress Galina, Tribal Aggro blue mana blue mana blue mana
    Give me Tron lands and Thoughtseize! This is so awesome. Gotta start saving money for a case now...

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way. - Gustav Mahler

MOTL Refs:Here
    eBay Refs: Here
    This sounds like it could be a cube like format for draft, which would be kind of cool. Still gonna be pretty expensive to draft in comparison.
    Quote from Lomax
    The feeling of mythic is something that can't be quantified, so we'll have to agree to disagree here.
    For me, though, being one of the most talked-about and powerful creatures ever printed is good enough for a mythic.

I guess so. I believe that mythic-ness should be based on flavor or uniqueness. This is too meta for me because tarmogoyf is not special or particularly awesome in the Multiverse, only in Earth's Magic community, so I do not think it is worthy of mythic status.

Nicol Bolas is so awesome! And so is Kokusho!
    Bolas x Kokusho 4eva!!!
    Love is in the air Read their story here! Love is in the air
    My EDH Decks:
    BMy Little KokushoB
    RBRakdos UNLEASHED!!!RB

My Standard Decks:
    UGRakdos, Bolas, and Ludevic Go To A PartyUG
    http://www.gifbin.com/982167

Really liking the sounds of it so far, and love that it's draftable.
    I want bob, clique, and thoughtseize, like everyone else.
    Maybe the 2 swords too.
    MTGO Modern Player

The next Modern ban will be Birthing Pod
    Is this set's release going to affect standard at all, like coldsnap did?

Or will this be something to boost your ability to acquire cards, like the all foil Alara boosters?
    Standard
    RGPolukranosRG

Commander (EDH)
    WBRKaalia of the VastWBR
    WRGMayael the AnimaWRG
    Kitchen finks, bloodbraid elf, what other commons and uncommons?
    Quote from wtwlf123
    they can't attack my dragon to death.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=484979
    Quote from MagicPeaces
    Is this set's release going to affect standard at all, like coldsnap did?

Or will this be something to boost your ability to acquire cards, like the all foil Alara boosters?

It is not legal for Standard. That is the intention of making it a special set and not reprinting the cards in a regular one.
    Quote from DoctorAtomic
    Give me Tron lands and Thoughtseize! This is so awesome. Gotta start saving money for a case now...

For some reason, I foresee getting trolled when the only Tron land that makes it into the roster is Urza's Tower.
    freakin' sweet.

I'm so glad this got printed. It really will lower the barrier getting into Modern. Maybe Wizards really wants to push Modern as a format. Reprinting of shocks, now this? Possibly Modern coming as a FNM format? Then maybe larger events at SCGs?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    I know Wizards said the MSRP is $7, but that usually is not accurate judging by the FTV sets and Commander's Arsenal. I don't trust it at least.

Look, people are still too hopeful and excited to realize this. Some, of course, will just block out the reality. The reality being, it's a small print run, and there's no way everyone will be able to buy as much as they like at MSRP. If the distribution numbers are low, stores will have no trouble selling it at double the MSRP. Think Worldwake, but even more sought after.
    Eternal Witness? Maybe some Snake Elf Druids? Some of the Portal commons that ended up in 9th?
    Last edited by Fatty McElbows: 10/23/2012 11:00:24 PM
    Quote from Æthergineer

The Aperture Science Center would like to remind you that the internet isn't a competition, but if it was, you would be winning.
    I heard it's draftable. I must admit that I doubt that, but if it is I'm so friggin pumped
    EDH: Thraximundar
    Legacy: Deadguy splash green
    Modern: Naya Zoo, Beats and Taxes
    Brb, writhing on the floor in excitement.

I must get as many boxes of this as I possibly can. This is wonderful news.
    Quote from love_blanket
    The problem with defining this format by what is "fun" is that everyone seems to define fun as what they don't lose to. If you keep losing to easily answered cards, that means improve you should improve your deck. If you don't want to improve your deck, then you should come to peace with the idea that you are going to lose because you chose to not interact with better strategies.
    Can't wait to draft cards I've never even seen in real life. I imagine always getting my money's worth in normal drafts and usually in the redraft. This seems like a "cool" thing for wizards to do. I don't care about standard, so this is my chance to get awesome cards. Woohoo.
    Baneslayer Angel- Pro Demons and Dragons

Malfegor- Demon Dragon: only creature in the history of magic that is both of Baneslayer's protections. Can kill Baneslayer.

Win
    Is lightning bolt gonna be in this? I think it was put in coreset after Alara Reborn :/
    Quote from wtwlf123
    they can't attack my dragon to death.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=484979
    Quote from makochman
    Look, people are still too hopeful and excited to realize this. Some, of course, will just block out the reality. The reality being, it's a small print run, and there's no way everyone will be able to buy as much as they like at MSRP. If the distribution numbers are low, stores will have no trouble selling it at double the MSRP. Think Worldwake, but even more sought after.

Ironically, Worldwake was selling WELL below MSRP when it was first released. Nobody wanted that garbage. Same with Morningtide.

Wizards could put $100 bills in packs and people would complain about how they were folded.

http://www.twitter.com/Dr_Jeebus - Follow me on Twitter!
    Check out www.mtgbrodeals.com for daily content from the brothers of Mu Tau Gamma!
    Quote from makochman

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. It is too bad though. Worldwake was widely printed with only one card that people were really excited about and it is still $10 for a pack that should be $4 at MSRP. This set will be far more expensive than that ever was. Frown

Nicol Bolas is so awesome! And so is Kokusho!
    Bolas x Kokusho 4eva!!!
    Love is in the air Read their story here! Love is in the air
    My EDH Decks:
    BMy Little KokushoB
    RBRakdos UNLEASHED!!!RB

My Standard Decks:
    UGRakdos, Bolas, and Ludevic Go To A PartyUG
    The fact that Goyf exists as a Mythic in this set just reeks of executive meddling.
    I think it's hilarious that they called this both "short-run" AND "draftable". It's one or the other. If it's short-run, good luck getting enough product to hold a draft.

I plan on pricing these packs at MSRP in my store, unless there's an outrageous shortage because Hasbro is full of a bunch of filth-flinging monkeys who don't understand how the market works. Oh wait...
    DCI Level 2 Judge
    I started playing during zendikar, so this will only have stuff from sets I have never opened. So cool. I wonder how much I will actually get to open though... I mean, I feel like my store might have one draft that will have to be preregistered months in advance then I will never even see a pack from this set again. Why is forcefully limiting product ever a good thing?
    Last edited by Lully: 10/20/2012 7:13:25 PM
    Baneslayer Angel- Pro Demons and Dragons

Malfegor- Demon Dragon: only creature in the history of magic that is both of Baneslayer's protections. Can kill Baneslayer.

Win
    That sounds awesome. That would be a great way to get into modern.
    Oh how can we forget Sakura-Tribe Elder? Grin
    Maybe the Alara Charm cycle as well?
    Mystical Teachings! Grin
    Modern:
    Paper: WUR Waffle Control, RG and U Tron
    MTGO: U Tron, BRG Living End, B Infect

Testing Modern on MTGO and helping to craft decks on a Budget Smile
    I stream!

Hermit Druid Combo:
    Quote from rowtheboat
    Uuuuh... Cast Hermit Druid... Untap... Win game?
    Sounds like a one card combo to me, unless you are counting lands as part of your combo
    Quote from Fizzeler
    Hermit does need to enter the battlefield somehow so you can win the game :p

Quote from Raggedjoe
    This may be the first time "Tropical Island" has been a part of any combo. Just saying.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes