Modern Masters - Modern Legal Booster Product Announced at Pro Tour RtR

Quote from MaZa
    If they didn't do a product like this, interest in Modern would have fizzled as it would soon have comparable costs to Legacy. If this set is über-limited, people will lose interest again.

Modern is nowhere near Legacy prices, and never will be. The manabase alone will make sure of that.

I'm worried what the actual packs will sell for if they make this a really limited print run. Commanders Arsenal MSRP's for $75 and sells for $200, a 2.6 multiplier. If MM is just as limited a print run and goes for a similar multiplier, that's over $18 a pack, and most retailers would probably bump it up to $20 a pack. Which defeats the purpose of MM. And with MM prize support, what would a draft cost, $80-ish a player? Which means it's pay $80 to open a Gofy or lose. Why not just buy a Goyf of eBay for that price.
    Quote from Valarin
    Modern is nowhere near Legacy prices, and never will be. The manabase alone will make sure of that.

I'm worried what the actual packs will sell for if they make this a really limited print run. Commanders Arsenal MSRP's for $75 and sells for $200, a 2.6 multiplier. If MM is just as limited a print run and goes for a similar multiplier, that's over $18 a pack, and most retailers would probably bump it up to $20 a pack. Which defeats the purpose of MM. And with MM prize support, what would a draft cost, $80-ish a player? Which means it's pay $80 to open a Gofy or lose. Why not just buy a Goyf of eBay for that price.

Modern is a lot closer to Legacy in price than you may know. Lack of funds has spawned a multitude of COMPETITIVE decks that can be had for sub-$500. Jund costs more than that.

This set SHOULD stem the ever rising prices of staples. Yes TarmTarm will stay high, but it shouldn't get higher now that the amount of them available should at least double (if not more).

This is how WotC should've supported Legacy back in the day, but they didn't so they've learned and are attempting to make it better. There is no reserved list for Modern legal cards, so no one can complain if something gets reprinted.

Yes some card values will drop, but interest should skyrocket. And more players is good for everyone.

This set SHOULD stem the ever rising prices of staples. Yes TarmTarm will stay high, but it shouldn't get higher now that the amount of them available should at least double (if not more) .

If Wotc printed tarmogoyfs and sold them for $100 apiece, they could triple the number of goyfs and the price would stay the same.

This is how WotC should've supported Legacy back in the day, but they didn't so they've learned and are attempting to make it better. There is no reserved list for Modern legal cards, so no one can complain if something gets reprinted.

No wotc should have just got rid of the reserve list and just made normal reprints, failing that they should have printed cards the compete with/obsolete cards on the reserve list.

Yes some card values will drop, but interest should skyrocket. And more players is good for everyone

I think the problem is the card values will not drop that much, because wotc is more intent on ringing every penny out of modern they can.
    Quote from urzassedatives
    A 40 dollar mythic rare would constitute a must have 4 of that goes in many decks.

Stats About Mythics
    -Mythics are on average 40% rarer than pre-mythic rares
    (old blocks about 200 rares, Mythic blocks 35+ mythics)
    -They are printing more new cards a year not less
    (about 665 now vs. 630 in most pre-mythic block)
    -To drop the value of a rare by $1 a mythic must go up $2
    -In a 3 year time span deck prices doubled.
    I am petitioning for the removal of mythic rarity. Sig this to join the cause.
    Modern is a lot closer to Legacy in price than you may know. Lack of funds has spawned a multitude of COMPETITIVE decks that can be had for sub-$500. Jund costs more than that

4 Underground Sea + 4 Polluted Delta alone is ~$750. That buys a multitude of T1 Modern decks. Or 8 lands of a Legacy deck. Add in FoW and you are over $1000 for 12 cards.

The Legacy mana base is heinously expensive. Duals are going to average, what, 75 bucks a pop? You can get Shocklands for less than $10. Not to mention the most expensive cards in Modern (Gofy, Bob) are also played in Legacy.

I have a lot of Legacy Staples, but am missing the duals. Just the mana base alone has convinced me to abandon Legacy as a format and adopt Modern.

If I don't have Goyf, I can still play almost every top Modern Deck. Without Duals, I can play, what, RDW and Dredge? That's not a very wide open format.

The cost of entry for Legacy is just to high, and it's not going to go down. While I think it's silly that WoTC basically created an entire new format instead of getting rid of the RL, thats what they did.
    WOTC seriously need to reprint fetch lands asap though, they are way too expensive for most normal people who can barely afford standard. Just put them in m14 along with lots of non basic land hate to punish greedy mana bases.
    #FreeWildNacatl
    0% chance of fetchland reprints in regular sets while shocks are standard legal. You can run 4 5 colors now before Gatecrash. May have 5 color aggro soon.
    Quote from aregand
    0% chance of fetchland reprints in regular sets while shocks are standard legal. You can run 4 5 colors now before Gatecrash. May have 5 color aggro soon.

Which incidentally means that reprinting fetches in Standard wouldn't be a problem, as they wouldn't improve the mana base anyway.

If anything they'd make aggro more viable due to the additional life investment compared to the M10/INN checklands.
    Quote from aregand

I don't understand WoTC's stance on that. It's not like we don't have Farseek or Gatecreeper Vine or allied and enemy duals or Transguild Promenade or all the shocks (soon) or gates or keyrunes. We have truckloads of mana fixing available now, how would having fetchs be so over the line?

Seems like an arbitrary speed limit: Going 55? No problem, have a nice day! Going 56? OMG get off the road you psycho!!!
    Quote from Valarin
    I don't understand WoTC's stance on that.

It's not WotC's stance, it's just a common argument made by posters who don't believe we'll see fetchland reprints any time soon.

Personally I'm more inclined to agree with your line of thought, if fetchlands are to be reprinted there's no better time than while the shocklands are Standard legal.
    They will string it out to sell more in the future. There is no reason for them to do it now . They just printed the enemy ones and most people that want them either have them or can get them without breaking the bank. They are not going to just quickly reprint cause the price jumped up just before modern PTQ season. They can't reprint everything in abundance for nothing- bad for business.
    Quote from Exodite
    It's not WotC's stance, it's just a common argument made by posters who don't believe we'll see fetchland reprints any time soon.

Personally I'm more inclined to agree with your line of thought, if fetchlands are to be reprinted there's no better time than while the shocklands are Standard legal.

I'd argue that there is no WORSE time. When you can just run 8-12 fetchlands and 1 of each shockland, without serious punishment for doing so (Wasteland, Blood Moon) then it actually removes incentive for you to play guilds at all, but just build crazy 5 color aggro and control decks. It's bad for innovation as well.
    "Don't laugh. It works."
    -Yavimaya Ranger
    anyone think there's a chance engineered explosives will be in the set? i mean, there's only so many rare slots, and they're already putting 10 filter lands in.
    I speak in sarcasm because calling people ******* ******** is not allowed.

Mission Accomplished!

W/U mana FREE STONEFORGE W/U mana
    Quote from germanturkey
    anyone think there's a chance engineered explosives will be in the set? i mean, there's only so many rare slots, and they're already putting 10 filter lands in.

Don't worry about rare slots filling up. They'll reprint this as a mythic, that way you have little chance of actually getting one. Can't let the price come down, you know. Rolleyes
    What are the BEST card sleeves for MTG? http://youtu.be/w-aAeIZSNWw
    How To Keep Your FOIL Cards From Curling: http://youtu.be/QTmubrS8VnI
    The Best Deck Boxes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEwgLph_Pjk
    The Best Binders: http://youtu.be/H5IauASYWjk
    Quote from Bacl
    Don't worry about rare slots filling up. They'll reprint this as a mythic, that way you have little chance of actually getting one. Can't let the price come down, you know. Rolleyes

It's a $15 card?
    EDH: U Ultimus U ۰ B Geth B ۰ G Kamahl G ۰ W/U manaIsperia W/U mana ۰ B/R manaOliviaB/R mana ۰ R/W manaJor KadeenR/W mana ۰ W/B mana U/B manaSydriW/B mana U/B mana ۰ W/G mana B/G manaGhaveW/G mana B/G mana
    Standard: W/R Aggro

I'd argue that there is no WORSE time. When you can just run 8-12 fetchlands and 1 of each shockland, without serious punishment for doing so (Wasteland, Blood Moon) then it actually removes incentive for you to play guilds at all, but just build crazy 5 color aggro and control decks. It's bad for innovation as well.

The do that now, with Farseek. And most top decks these days are triple color, not guild colors.

I think it would make sense to reprint the Onslaught fetchs in DGM.
    Triple color is still not five color and just because it's raining is no reason to blow up the dam.
    Quote from RichardHaro
    WOTC seriously need to reprint fetch lands asap though, they are way too expensive for most normal people who can barely afford standard. Just put them in m14 along with lots of non basic land hate to punish greedy mana bases.

The fetch lands aren't bad at all. Most expensive ones are around 30$ which is just staple cards from standard. Not really an issue at all as well as rarity either since they didn't rotate all that long ago either.
    Quote from RichardHaro

They only jumped in price recently. Standard is way expensive for a competitive deck. Sme of the 3 and 4 color standard list I saw we're well into the hundreds.

Dropping prices too far can erode consumer confidence as well. That's not good for the game either.

I do think we will see these in modern masters 2 down the road.
    Trade Thread -
    http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=4832736

Trading 10 full art zen basics for 8 of yours!

I want

Plains - John Avon - 230
    Island - Jung Park - 235
    Island - Vincent Proce - 237
    Swamp - John Avon - 238
    Mountain - John Avon - 242
    Forest - John Avon - 246
    I think the current price of the shocks is as high as lands can go and still be reasonably priced - although having them in boosters mitigates this somewhat. I still see people using guild gates instead of shocks due to them being 8 Euros a pop.
    #FreeWildNacatl
    Quote from Valarin

Not for the same reason Ravnica doesn't have full-art lands. They rather save the sure-sellers for more risky sets.
    Multi
    G Patron of the Orochi
    GU Vorel of the Hull Clade
    WBR Tariel, Reckoner of Souls
    R Fumiko the Lowblood
    GUR Maelstrom Wanderer
    GWUBR Sliver Overlord
    UBR Mishra, Artificer Prodigy
    R Joven
    WU Bruna, Light of Alabaster

Theme
    GUWBR Reaper King - Scarecrows
    GW Krond the Dawn-Clad - Scales
    U Sakashima the Impostor - Masks
    WGURB Karona, False God - Beauties
    UB Ramirez DePietro - Pirates
    URG Riku of Two Reflections - Steampunk Amberground
    Here's something from Forsythe's article from today relevant to Modern Masters:

Quote from Aaron Forsythe »
    #2: Commander's Arsenal Distribution

Like From the Vault, Commander's Arsenal was intentionally produced in small quantities so as to be a collectible. Unfortunately, those quantities were likely too small. It's cool to excite your customers, but not cool to frustrate them.

We took this reaction into account when finalizing the print size for Modern Masters; we have no interest in a repeat performance.

While the run is limited, I think this is meant as an assurance that the run won't be quite as limited as some people have feared; this definitely suggests that they aren't going to limit this to anything so limited as a case per store or such.
    Level 2 Judge Smile
    Went to a new shop from a friend's recommendation, DQ'ed for willful violation of CR 100.6b.

(Credit to DarkNightCavalier)

$tandard: Too poor.
    Modern:
    - GW/B mana Melira Pod
    Legacy:
    - GW Enchantress
    - UWR Pyrodelver
    This is going to be a good summer.
    I hope Modern Masters becomes a regular yearly or perhaps every-other-yearly-thing.

Hopefully Modern really takes off as a result.
    What are the BEST card sleeves for MTG? http://youtu.be/w-aAeIZSNWw
    How To Keep Your FOIL Cards From Curling: http://youtu.be/QTmubrS8VnI
    The Best Deck Boxes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEwgLph_Pjk
    The Best Binders: http://youtu.be/H5IauASYWjk
    Quote from Drifting Skies
    While the run is limited, I think this is meant as an assurance that the run won't be quite as limited as some people have feared; this definitely suggests that they aren't going to limit this to anything so limited as a case per store or such.
    While I tend to be positive, saying that this will not make the same mistakes as CA is not saying all that much. There is a wide chasm of quantities between CA and the hope of Coldsnap numbers that a lot of us are hoping for.
    GaJo
    tumblr: thewormturns
    MTGO: Dr Worm
    EDH: Earl, Ghaiji Aggro, Snow Patrol, Shirei, Eeshatron, Momir Big, What's Yours is Mine, Punisher
    Modern: Red Snow Devotion, X-Force, Black Devotion Control
    Currently Testing: Fever Dream

؟ is the "Irony Mark", but since no one seems to be able to use the term "irony" correctly, I hereby dub it the "Sarcasm Mark."
    Quote from Valarin
    The do that now, with Farseek. And most top decks these days are triple color, not guild colors.

No, it wouldn't. Those cards, with shock lands, would ruin standard.

signature by rivenor at http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=329663

I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English. If you believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure, then copy this into your signature.

I hate the reserved list.

Mythic rares are fine.

Quote from Lormador
    If that's your "casual," what on earth is required for "formal," a butler in livery shuffling the decks whilst a pianist plays Brahms in front of a tapestry?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes