Magic 2014 - April 30th - New Chandra Art

Quote from Rheavon
    I'm actually kinda curious why people want to hose non basics so much. Yes, Standard right now is the richest mana base we have seen in a long time, yes playing 3 colors is nearly as easy as mono colored decks, with 4 and 5 color decks being a reality...so why is this a problem? Do you dislike it when the person across the table is playing multiple colors successfully? Why punish people completely for enjoying a gold set by playing multiple colors? I can see maybe single non basic land destruction being a thing, something like Tectonic Edge, but I will be very disappointed if Wizards prints something like Blood Moon. This is not a fun card to play against, I can not see them reprinting this for the same reason they won't print mass land destruction...It is a step in the wrong direction.
    Speaking only for myself, I want to see Price of Progress and Blood Moon (Ruination is funny on occasion, but also too devastating) because I believe there should be risks to make the rewards of easily playing 3-5 colors worthwhile. By risk, I mean in-game, not the risk of spending too much cash to own multiple playsets of good nonbasic lands.

This ties into a broader reason: cost. A stack of basic lands and a playset of the easily-splashable PoP (especially if reprinted at Uncommon) would be far cheaper than the multiple playsets of shocklands and checklands that seem to run rampant in many FNMs and certainly in the upper end tournaments. A cost barrier does exist, and cards such as PoP could make it so those with more limited budgets feel they could compete.

Which brings me to my last reason for nonbasic hate. There are some people, myself included, that find a bit of perverse joy in playing against someone whose landbase alone costs more than a decent laptop computer, and defeating that player through making that landbase a liability. Petty, perhaps, but there it is.

Cheers!

PS - Oh, and Modern frame, black border, no foil versions. This might also be a good reason.
    A shout out to Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama and Underhill's Games in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.

Visit www.zombiehunters.org for all your self-improvement needs.

http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is important.
    Quote from lucedes
    if they bring back the old frame

i'll cry

(since none of it will be legal for my cube)

It's your cube. You can put whatever you want in it. If some arbitrary rule you made stops you from putting a card in, get rid of it.
    Quote from Noobus Maximus
    It's your cube. You can put whatever you want in it. If some arbitrary rule you made stops you from putting a card in, get rid of it.

It's his cube. If he want the rule "Modern Border only", then it's not something that you should be bashing him on. There's tribal cube and all that stuff. Cube isn't simply "format with only the best card in mtg", although I'll admit that's what most cube's goal are. If it was, WotC cube fail hard at that.

I myself don't want old border to return. If anything, moving on from modern border to future border in 20th anniversary would be awesome.
    Credit: Fukowindy

My cube

I'm OP_Forever. I'll be putting this in my signature for a while so everyone know I change my nickname.
    Quote from Krimson Viper
    I have some old foils, so I must interject and say I prefer old school foils because they don't bend.

Eh, not necessarily true; on the flipside, I have some foils which don't bend all that much at all that are old, some that are bent thoroughly, and some new ones in either boat as well.

Key thing? Moisture. I live in a fairly moist part of the world, so I keep my cards away and covered when I'm not using them.
    Master Biomancer's flavor text should read 'My DNA - I put that ---- in everything'.
    i think that would be nice to see the open frames like the ones from Future Sight for creatures with no abilities like:
    Blade of the Sixth Pride
    Blind Phantasm
    Mass of Ghouls
    Fomori Nomad
    Nessian Courser
    about Kalonian Hydra
    Quote from Georg51
    Then you have to make a fool of yourself by suggesting that I would ever lose to you playing this soon-to-be junk Mythic.
    How cool would it be if we had full art lands in M14?
    Quote from flavioal28
    How cool would it be if we had full art lands in M14?

Full art lands ALWAYS work for me. Zendikar's lands, especially the forests, blew me away.
    I love the Unhinged lands. They have a classic feel to them. Not something I expected from an Un set.
    That would be very very awesome if we got full art lands.
    I have started a separate thread to discuss this subject, but how likely is it that this core set shall contain legendary permanents and/or multicolored cards? The previous core set had both of those, so I do hope that this core set continues that trend. This would be an excellent way to introduce new legendary creatures from planes that may not be sufficiently popular to warrant a full block for revising them (such as Kamigawa or Ulgrotha), and would keep with the theme of a core set not being tied to one specific plane of the multiverse or point in the storyline.

And I agree with the above users that full-art basic lands would be very awesome, indeed, as they have more room to depict awesome landscapes and scenery, and are so simple (or, dare I say, 'basic?') that they do not require any rules text to detract from their artwork.
    “Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither.”-Benjamin Franklin

“When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”-Thomas Jefferson

“A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of its user.”-Theodore Roosevelt

“Patriotism means to stand by one's country; it does not mean to stand by one's president.”-Theodore Roosevelt
    On full art lands: My guess is that we will see them the next time we see landfall, which I hear the community would like to see return as a core set mechanic. I liked landfall too.
    Baneslayer Angel- Pro Demons and Dragons

Malfegor- Demon Dragon: only creature in the history of magic that is both of Baneslayer's protections. Can kill Baneslayer.

Win
    Quote from DemonDragonJ
    how likely is it that this core set shall contain legendary permanents and/or multicolored cards?

Legendary permanents, yes. There will probably be a small handful.

Multicolored cards, not likely at all. If there are any there will only very a very small number.
    My Peasant Cube! (Currently 379 cards, but subject to change at any moment.)
    Quote from El Panda Rojo
    Multicolored cards, not likely at all. If there are any there will only very a very small number.

Why do you say that it is not likely? Now that WotC has finally included multicolored cards (if only one) in the most recent core set, there is no reason for them to not do so in the next core set.
    “Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither.”-Benjamin Franklin

“When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”-Thomas Jefferson

“A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of its user.”-Theodore Roosevelt

“Patriotism means to stand by one's country; it does not mean to stand by one's president.”-Theodore Roosevelt
    I think the one multicolor card they did include was a planeswalker which fit the theme of the other 5 included being pitted against him. They'll have a harder time justifying a multicolor card in M14, but certainly not out of the question. Just worth mentioning that a multicolor planeswalker which battles the other 5 monocolor also in the same set is different than throwing an unrelated multi-color card in.
    From this link about Steam achievements (originally posted on MTGS here), it looks like Ramaz will be the red legend in the intro deck.
    Last edited by Gojira X: 3/20/2013 7:30:46 AM
    Quote from Gojira X
    From this link about Steam achievements (originally posted on MTGS here), it looks like Ramaz will be the red legend in the intro deck.

I'm more concerned about Slivers and Sealed formats being on DotP 2014
    Don't just have an idea -

Have all of them.

Join us on Cardgame Coalition!
    Quote from Gojira X

Since he is an ally of Chandra I would say that makes sense but achievement 26 is Defeat Ramaz's ally "Defeat the "Chant of Mul Daya" deck in campaign mode" which makes him/her sound G.

There's no proof she's being chased
    by ninja squirrels either
    . - Dr. Wilson
    Quote from Gojira X

I think Ramaz might be a Boss character akin to Karn or Nicol Bolas
    Quote from movexig
    That, and you know what they say. If Wizards started shipping $100 bills in boosters tomorrow, people would scream and cry and whine that they were folded the wrong way.

If that's the color of your urine you should see a doctor.

//stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg">stat.rumandmonkey.com
    Quote from digitek
    I think the one multicolor card they did include was a planeswalker which fit the theme of the other 5 included being pitted against him. They'll have a harder time justifying a multicolor card in M14, but certainly not out of the question. Just worth mentioning that a multicolor planeswalker which battles the other 5 monocolor also in the same set is different than throwing an unrelated multi-color card in.

I believe that if WotC places very simple and useful multicolored cards, such as mortify, putrefy, lightning helix, terminate, undermine, absorb, and so forth, that would not be complicated for new players of the game.

They've put regeneration effects in previous core sets..and considering how much more confusing regeneration is than multicolored cards..I can't see why they wouldn't start putting multicolored in.

Quote from RCarlysle
    I once farted during the final match for prizes at an FNM. It was a tense moment, everything was quiet, control vs control, I was about to mana leak, thought about it.. and farted. Then mana leaked.
    I also dare to think that we even get a new Gideon in M14. Remember when Lili 2. appeared in Lorwyn. Then in the following coreset even another Lili appeared. i know thats not really a reference, but Wizards will include more than 1 new Planeswalker-cards in coresets. & my bet for the other planeswalker beside Chandra will be Gideon 3.
    Quote from CDDRodrigo
    I'm more concerned about Slivers and Sealed formats being on DotP 2014 <3

I think we can safely assume sliver will be back in m14 based on this.
    Quote from EasyLover
    Remember when Lili 2. appeared in Lorwyn.

I think you mean Innistrad.

Quote from EasyLover
    I also dare to think that we even get a new Gideon in M14. Remember when Lili 2. appeared in Lorwyn. Then in the following coreset even another Lili appeared. i know thats not really a reference, but Wizards will include more than 1 new Planeswalker-cards in coresets. & my bet for the other planeswalker beside Chandra will be Gideon 3.

Hey, remember those times when Elspeth, Tezzeret, Sarkhan, and Sorin each got their second cards, and then proceeded to not appear in the next core set? Good times.
    Quote from EasyLover

More than likely, Liliana 3 and Ajani 3 will be reprinted in M14 so that they appear twice in a row, just like Jace 3, Garruk 2 and Chandra 3 in M12 and M13.

Thus, we will get new PWs (or reprints of old ones) in blue, green and red.
    A non-tribal Nissa, Tamiyo and Koth would be great (I don't see Tibalt becoming a core set walker, although I can imagine him in a corset)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes