[FAKE] Varolz, the Scar-Striped

From 4chan's /tg/ board:
    https://archive.foolz.us/tg/thread/23997106/

Varolz, the Scar-Striped 2BG

Legendary Creature — Troll warrior (R)

If Varolz, the Scar-Striped would be destroyed, regenerate it and put a +1/+1 counter on it.
    Remove a +1/+1 counter from Varolz: Varolz gains deathtouch until end of turn.

"Don't let him turn his back on you."
    -Grozdan, to Tajic

4/4

A source told MTGS moderator TK-421 that the cost and size of this "leak" were wrong.
    ATTACHMENTS
    Last edited by Tackman: 4/4/2013 7:08:30 PM
    The expansion symbol seems too far towards the center of the card...
    U Thassa Control U
    GWB Junk Stax Ghave BWG
    Really? On April 1st? And the creature type is Troll? Come on now.
    That would be pretty badass, the ability seems powerful and synergistic, just like the other one revealed so I could actually see this happening.

EDIT: April 1st and Troll, seems too perfect lol, thanks ShapMTG hahah, I wasn't even seeing that.
    Lol, nice imagination guys...
    Quote from Icedflame
    I think the guy turning into a tree is liking it a bit too much

Sunscape Master

I bet he's saying: It so hard and long now... My fingers, yeah that's it... Yeah my fingers...

GENERATION 151: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation.
    Golgari goodstuff edh!
    Quote from darkeshrine
    discussing and arguing my opinion is not the point of this thread.

LF Modern EDH Fetches
    I hope the real card is better than this
    Flavor text seems to make sense....dude has nuclear waste growing on his back Wink
    They couldn't at least leak the artist...

(I'm pretty sure the artist for the Varolz art is already known...)

Besides, the font and the last quotation mark seem funny.
    Quote from pylades

Better than a 4-mana 4/4 that auto-regenerates and grows at the same time? Jeez... players really are spoiled!

Quote from catalyst
    Flavor text seems to make sense....dude has nuclear waste growing on his back Wink

Also, I checked for this "Grozdan" fellow, he is a Boros guy mentioned in the PW guide, so this makes sense.
    http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/224

Just like I said for Rootborn Defense, Simic Fluxmage, Aurelia and co, if this is a fake, it's the best one I've seen so far.
    On one hand, the abilities and flavor text seem real.

On the other hand, the fact we have guild champion art already makes me shocked we haven't seen more fake champions already.

The fact it's a troll on April 1st seems ingenious. "Let's release the real troll card on april 1st. Theyll never believe it!"
    YMTC: We need a spikey red enchantment. My creations:
    RR
    Whenever a player taps a nonbasic land, [Card] deals 2 damage to them.

-or-

R
    Whenever a player would gain life, flip a coin. If heads, that player loses that much life instead. If tails sacrifice [card] and that player gains that life as per usual.
    How to tell if your Mana Base is fail.
    Thanks to Heroes of the Plane Studios for the Bump/Bolt Avatar!
    @pylades: seriously? this guy is almost OP. Much better Predator Ooze with a beter cost. Missing part in GB "unkillables" deck :P. Almost as good as Thrun.

But yeah, I think this flavor text is ... to shallow ? to be true. I think this is just April the 1st joke. Also, somehow I don't like "would be destroyed" wording.
    Guy, we already knew he was going to be a troll type. The card looks legit but the expansion symbol being so far left seems fishy. the picture is also conveniently missing the collectors number so as much as I want to believe that is the real card, you can't say for certain.
    Quote from Sabre
    Also, somehow I don't like "would be destroyed" wording.

Mossbridge Troll would like to have a word with you.
    Commander Deck:WBGGhave, Guru of SporesGBW
    Hmm, who's this Grozdan fella supposed to be, then? A flavor text search turns up nothing. [EDIT: Thanks, Tackman] Making up a new character doesn't seem like something a faker'd do - he'd sooner take an already known character to give the card additional credibility.

Still, this doesn't look quite right.
    Thou shalt not have others of the same Legendary or Planeswalker before me
    Thou shalt not frame images with the modern card face
    Thou shalt not change rules in vain
    Remember the Reserved List to keep it holy
    Honor thy Slivers and the symmetry of their abilities
    Thou shalt not kill mana burn
    Thou shalt not sacrifice depth for accessibility
    Thou shalt not steal combat damage from the stack
    Thou shalt tell a story through thy cards
    Thou shalt not covet anything that is Ravnica's
    Quote from KavuMonarch
    Hmm, who's this Grozdan fella supposed to be, then? A flavor text search turns up nothing. Making up a new character doesn't seem like something a faker'd do - he'd sooner take an already known character to give the card additional credibility.

Still, this doesn't look quite right.

Quote from Tackman
    Also, I checked for this "Grozdan" fellow, he is a Boros guy mentioned in the PW guide, so this makes sense.
    http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/224

Just like I said for Rootborn Defense, Simic Fluxmage, Aurelia and co, if this is a fake, it's the best one I've seen so far.

Sorry folks, but Grozdan has been mentioned by Wizards before, so smart and observant fakers can use his name.

Me, I'm not convinced it's "the best fake I've seen so far" because the font and punctuation look off.
    Quote from Sabre
    @pylades: seriously? this guy is almost OP. Much better Predator Ooze with a beter cost. Missing part in GB "unkillables" deck :P. Almost as good as Thrun.

But yeah, I think this flavor text is ... to shallow ? to be true. I think this is just April the 1st joke. Also, somehow I don't like "would be destroyed" wording.

Nope, that's the right way:

Mossbridge Troll
    Proud Player of Cold, hard jank

I am a student game developer; Check out my stuff
    Quote from TheScale

My thoughts exactly. Cool card nonetheless.

645 Victoria Street North - Unit #2
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    N2H5G3 - (519) 954-8278
    Open 7 Days/Week: 10am - Midnight
    www.cloutsnchara.com
    www.facebook.com/CloutsNCharaMagic
    MTGO Username: Disobedient

Standard: ???
    Modern: :symu::symw: Eggs

tap symbolTournament OrganizerUntap
    If it's an April Fool's joke, good on them. If not it makes for an excellent legendary that does seem legendary. As for Wizards now conditioning legendary creatures for EDH, this one is perfect.

Too perfect. Whoever designed this, fake or not, knew what they were doing.
    Quote from ShapMTG
    Really? On April 1st? And the creature type is Troll? Come on now.

Why wouldn't the troll character have the troll creature type?
    Quote from Sabre

That's just how regenerating works. It replaces being destroyed with being tapped, having all damage removed, and being removed from combat. As a rules advisor, I despise regenerate for not working in a sensible fashion.
    MTG Rules Advisor

I think it only looks like that because the type line is really long.

I certainly hope this is real, although...how the hell do you stop this in limited??? I doubt there will more than a couple of can't be regenerated/exile/force sacrifice effects in entire DGM. I think some guilds or even guild pairs may be completely incapable of stopping him in any other way than blocking him with X/5 and not letting him grow.
    Dual lands cheat sheet - Last updated on Apr 12 (Added JOU, updated card prices)

Modern: UR Ninja
    EDH: RG Xenagos, God of Beatdowns
    is it just me or do 2 of these in play create an unbreakable loop due to their regenerate clause and the legend rule?
    i guess it could be a junky mockup.
    Standard:
    BWRDEGA MIDRANGEBWR
    Modern:
    RGWUKiki PodRGWU Legacy:
    xMANALESS DREDGEx
    Quote from pylades

Even if it were real, how is this bad?

Quote from pickleishopeless
    is it just me or do 2 of these in play create an unbreakable loop due to their regenerate clause and the legend rule?

No, because you can't regenerate against the legend rule. It just ''puts both legend cards in the graveyard'', nothing fancy.
    Quote from Verox Kinaltor
    Found out why Mogis has sided with Xenagos guys!

He was in the band playing at the party
    :D:D:D:D
    Luckily, legend rule does not destroy anything, it simply places them into the graveyard. Its the same reason you can't use indestructibility to have more than one of the same legend.
    Commander Deck:WBGGhave, Guru of SporesGBW
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes