Duel Decks: Heroes Vs. Monsters

Quote from void_nothing
    We've had a couple of those already - Visara the Dreadful; Damia, Sage of Stone. A new one is practically inevitable in Theros, though maybe not in the Monsters deck.

Maybe Vraska will make an appearance?
    Pretty sure Intrepid Hero will be in the list. I call W/G vs B/R.

Mmmmhh
    EDH

BB Satan's Angels: Demon Tribal
    BBW Ira Dei (Invictus)
    BWW S.P.Q.R, Teysa's legion.
    BRG: Prossh
    BBB Erebos
    BRU Legion of Morgoth
    OTHER DECKS

LEGACY
    BWU Tin Fins
    RRR Burn
    I'm betting the Hero deck will be primarily White/Green and the Monster deck will be primarily Red/Black. Maybe both will splash a little Blue for Bant/Grixis flavor?

I'm hoping they don't rehash stuff printed in FTV:Legends, Divine vs. Demonic, or Knights vs. Dragons though.

I would be excited to see some stuff from the original 'Legends' expansion, and wouldn't be surprised if they threw in something like Crimson Manticore, which I know isn't a great card, but they put Desert in FTV:Realms just for flavor. Maybe they'll go nuts and pick one of the random legendary creatures not on the reprint list, like Rubinia Soulsinger or Torsten Von Ursus.
    This deck feels like an excuse for them to print a ton of EDH friendly legendary creatures. Maybe this //gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&type=+[%22Land%22">&text=+[target]+[legendary]+[creature]"]legendary land cycle will make a cameo...
    Petition to stop WotC from making M:tG cards that do not fit my specific likes! Join the revolution! If not you, then who?

Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.-Friedrich Nietzsche

Banner ala Lymons
    "I had a sammich in my head!" -Gir

Quote from Veloxiraptor
    Sometimes I feel like the word "interactivity" around here is akin to the word "electrolytes" in sports drinks. The public doesn't really know what it means, but they figure it's a good thing to have.
    Holy Mythical greek monsters, Batman! I am SO excited for this.

This sig is by the amazing Rivenor
    Vague enough for me to want moar info!!

Pretty stoked nonetheless. Hope it's at least as good as Izzet vs golgari.
    Quote from empathogen
    Just wait until next year, when we get Duel Decks: Things vs. Stuff.

I call fake. It would be Tings.
    But, still, so far, the best and the most descritive post on this whole topic.

(Give your LGS judge a hug. He deserves it.)

Nothing. All I want is Heroes vs. Monsters spoilers.
    Quote from soulbanana
    sounds like an april fools prank Grin but it's not.
    but it sounds cool, like demons vs angels, knights vs dragons. will this one be legendary bad guys vs legendary good guys Grin

Mikaeus, the Unhallowed

maybe this one could be an include for the monster side
    Quote from Caedere

So.
    I think I understand now.
    As far as these forums are concerned, WotC can never do anything good because:

Card that is new and probably good = "pushed"
    Card that is new and probably bad = "EDH/casual fodder"
    Card that is a reprint = "lazy"
    Card that is a better version of an older card = "power creep"
    Card that is a weaker version of an older card = "worthless"

Does that about sum things up?
    What if half of the monster deck is Werewolves and Delvers? Haha, This of course was a joke.
    I think a BUG vs WR list would be interesting, encompassing all 5 colors and giving each access to plenty of "heroes" and "monsters" to pit against one another. G feels like a shoe in for Monsters, since it usually gets the biggest, baddest, meanest creatures around. Black also gets a different type of "horror" type of Monster, like Medusas and, well, Horrors. I put Blue in BUG for their Krakens and Leviathans, which I think could be good Monsters for a Monster themed deck.
    I just thought about it REAL deep, and I came to the conclusion the monster side must be blue.
    After all, the biggest monster created in the past 5 years is blue
    Quote from gunmoul
    I just thought about it REAL deep, and I came to the conclusion the monster side must be blue.
    After all, the biggest monster created in the past 5 years is blue

It is a monster to pay, play with and to play against.
    Quote from izzetmage
    If the store owner says that I can't trade in the premises, I'll just go outside. If he says that I can't trade within 10m of his premises, I'll go to 11 meters. If he says that he doesn't want to see me trading, I will put a basket over his head and continue trading.

Quote from Stinky-Dinkins

Yes, he's a local legend. He's only known to take his clothes off before he goes into the Ladies' Lockerroom. Nobody knows what he does in there because he's invisible, but it's almost certainly tons of masturbating.
    Heroes i'm sure will be Wx, monsters on the other hand, i'm assuming Gx, but it could honestly go a bunch of different directions, it would be pretty awesome (sarcasm) to have a foil alt art jace, the mind sculpter in a 20$ duel deck, they'd gurantee sell out that's for sure.
    RWB
    Quote from findogul
    Heroes i'm sure will be Wx, monsters on the other hand, i'm assuming Gx, but it could honestly go a bunch of different directions, it would be pretty awesome (sarcasm) to have a foil alt art jace, the mind sculpter in a 20$ duel deck, they'd gurantee sell out that's for sure.

I think all the store owners will keep it for themselves, or we can see a $200 duel deck.
    Quote from izzetmage
    If the store owner says that I can't trade in the premises, I'll just go outside. If he says that I can't trade within 10m of his premises, I'll go to 11 meters. If he says that he doesn't want to see me trading, I will put a basket over his head and continue trading.

Quote from Stinky-Dinkins

Yes, he's a local legend. He's only known to take his clothes off before he goes into the Ladies' Lockerroom. Nobody knows what he does in there because he's invisible, but it's almost certainly tons of masturbating.
    Quote from Greyling
    Godsire!? I really hope it's a sweet reprint.

I'm basing this on the obvious herald art, if that's relevant whatsoever.

It isn't. They've been using the art from the Herald cycle for about every announcement since they were printed.

The awesome-est MTG webcomic out there. Go check it out!
    Mark my words

Hero's - White/Red

Monsters - Black/Blue

Just seems fitting. Anyone see Hero of Bladehold rocking this set?
    I think all the store owners will keep it for themselves, or we can see a $200 duel deck.

These things go to stores like Wal-Mart and Target. You would be able to find plenty at $19.99, though they would be probably more difficult to find then in the past due to people buying out the store when they see say 10 on the shelves.

I agree local card shops would charge an arm and a leg though.

Feel free to bid on my cards here!
    I think in Theros will have a mechanic like level up but the creature will only level up when it kills another creature or something to the effect of that because of how it is stated in the dual deck lore is what you call it I guess "These heroes grow stronger with every encounter as they assail threats beyond their imagination."
    The name makes me think their might be 2 new creature types: Heroes and Monsters.
    I finally have one them fancy shmancy Signatures.

My Saffi deck

Quote from Jivanmukta
    When you stare into EDH, I stare back at you.
    Quote from alblaster
    The name makes me think their might be 2 new creature types: Heroes and Monsters.

These used to be creature types and it was awesome, then they took them away from me....errr us
    Melven
    Quote from alblaster

If this was a duel deck full of completely new cards it would be a first ever. I assume you mean they are adding Heroes/Monsters into Theros but those types are pretty generic.

So I wouldn't bet on that...

Feel free to bid on my cards here!

Or since they're sold in basic retail stores they'd be worth 20 bucks...

And if level up seriously comes back then I will hate theros mechanics. Level up was no fun, if anyone remembers. It's just not fun to sink a ton of mana into one card and lose it to a removal spell a turn before it's worth anything. I doubt level up will be the returning mechanic. It's lame.
    Last edited by Creedmoor: 4/3/2013 2:41:50 PM
    SHANDALAR
    A Custom Core Set
    ---NAZURA---
    A Custom African-Themed Set
    ~THE RAVNICAN CONSORTIUM~
    A Community Set

Quote from Drax
    A MAN CAN DREAM AND GET HIS SIMPLE MATHEMATICS WRONG.

Quote from jonnybgood23
    Pillarfield Ox? The legend returns.

Quote from TheWarden
    You had me at "Camel Shaman."

What would be interesting is if they used Grizlbrand as the foil for the monsters.
    Just my 2 cents worth
    I bet it will contain an Intrepid Hero. Rolleyes
    Didn't read all 10 pages- sorry if someone already said this but...

Benalish Hero and gang?

BANDING FTW!
    Check out my blog, an EDH / Commander Odyssey- 27 (and hopefully soon to be 32) decklists of EDH / Commander decks built from my collection. Comments needed and appreciated.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/blog.php?u=18092
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes