Sorin vs. Tibalt (Decklist Update March 1st)

Quote from Surging Chaos
    This is almost certainly what happened. Which doesn't surprise me, because R&D has been doing a pretty miserable job lately when it comes to evaluating card power level correctly.

Perhaps they were just overcautious. A 90% chance of Tibalt being crap is probably better than a 10% chance of Tibalt surpassing JtMS.

Practice for Vintage Masters Limited:
    Draft: (#1) (#2) (#3) (#4)
    Sorin 2 and Tibalt are some incredibly cool planeswalker cards, even if the devil is not as good as any of us hoped he would be.

I'm legitimately excited for this. This deck seems very flavorful and fun. I really can't wait to see how they make these decks click.
    Another red duel deck? I was hoping for GvL part 2 (Veil Cursed and Veil) but if this is BW Sorin, I will see it as a Sorin , emblem, and a bunch of innistrad basic lands. If Markov, well.. on the good side I will be saving some money....
    CUBES: [450 Unpowered] [300 Modern Pauper] [360 Mirran] [Reject Rare]
    Hopefully the decks of the both of them would be good to support the both of them. It sounds like some good potential fun if there is good support for them
    Quote from JinxedIdol
    Another red duel deck? I was hoping for GvL part 2 (Veil Cursed and Veil) but if this is BW Sorin, I will see it as a Sorin , emblem, and a bunch of innistrad basic lands. If Markov, well.. on the good side I will be saving some money....

Wizards doesn't have a good way to include double-faced cards in products besides boosters, so they would have to use Garruk's M12/M13 version in such a deck, unfortunately.
    More lingering souls is good. :0)

Assuming it is Sorin, Lord of Tokens I will pick it up; he is at least useful in Standard for a few months after this comes out. Otherwise it is mostly* going to be trash and I will save my cash.

*baring some epic reprint.
    My Legacy Decks
    If you are in the UK join us -UK Legacy Magic Community http://www.magicplayers.co.uk
    ^ I would guess Lingering Souls is a shoe-in, as it works in either Tokens or Control.

Tibalt will probably be demoted to Rare so Bonfire can be in his deck Wink

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    Tibalt is my least favorite Planeswalker... So im less exited about it. It even looked like some aprils fool joke in the first moment Grin

And furthermore I don't know whats up with the countless red products: Goblins vs Elves; Jace vs Chandra; Knights vs Dragons; Koth vs Venser and now Sorin vs Tibalt. There was even Fire & Lightning on top of that. Not to speak from all the multicolored Duel Decks including red... too much imho!
    Quote from Sanity"s_Eclipse
    Alright, so post-initial reaction response now.

If it's Sorin, Lord blah, then maybe I'll get it, just because I'm starting to love :symw::symb::symr:. But seriously, I don't have a deck for that Sorin, and Tibalt still kinda sucks. Really wish they would've done Tammy.

If Sorin's deck actually does have a Vindicate, then I will buy a copy, lol.

Same about the wedge colors. I did a Vampire & Angel EDH deck. Was pretty wicked.

Tami is a good planeswalker, in both card and character, so there's no conflict between her and Sorin. She just wants to study the moon.

It'll most likely be Lord of Innistrad and Fiendblooded. A bit silly but I wouldn't mind a new card for either or both. And I can understand why it's so late to put this out there. Since it has Tibalt, they were waiting for him to make his actual debut. As well as with the announcing of RtR during AVR they weren't going to bet big money on it so they pushed IvG first. Plus Sorin's deck could benefit from Orzhov.

Quote from Vividice
    And furthermore I don't know whats up with the countless red products: Goblins vs Elves; Jace vs Chandra; Knights vs Dragons; Koth vs Venser and now Sorin vs Tibalt. There was even Fire & Lightning on top of that. Not to speak from all the multicolored Duel Decks including red... too much imho!

You forgot Izzet vs Golgari.
    Last edited by TK-421: 8/30/2012 3:36:11 AM

I am a Red Mage hired by the Orzhov Syndicate

EDH
    Jaya
    Maga

Standard
    RG Forest Fire

Casual
    Bloodthirst Vampires
    Rakdos Asylum
    WU Spirits
    MW Soldiers
    Azorius Stallment
    Quote from Caranthir
    Leaves me wondering if there is anything coming in Ravnica that is going to make Tibalt playable, because if they designed a DD with him, they must be sure (or take it as high probability) that people would WANT Tibalt...

Tibalt seems like the kind of guy who would feel right at home in Rakdos, flavor-wise. Mechanically, I'm not so sure - if the new Rakdos mechanic involves discard triggers, that would synergize well with Hellbent as well as Tibalt's +1.
    [LEFT][B]EDH [/B]| BGW Ghave, Guru of Spores WGB [B]Standard [/B]| [under construction] [/LEFT] [spoiler=Please don't click this button]There's nothing here.[spoiler]No, really.[spoiler]Stop clicking.[spoiler]There really is nothing here![spoiler]Honest.[spoiler]You know, we could go on like this forever.[spoiler][spoiler]You're a tough nut to crack, aren't you?[spoiler]Trust me, there really is [I][B]nothing[/B][/I] here![spoiler]There, happy?[spoiler]No?[spoiler]Well, have it your way.[spoiler]There.[spoiler]t(",t)[/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]

BBCode Render failed due to reaching MaxNestingDepth(5) for Tag: spoiler

Quote from OrzhovChild »
    You forgot Izzet vs Golgari.

I purposly didn't listed all multicolor Duel Decks Smile
    Not to speak from all the multicolored Duel Decks including red... too much imho!
    They like rubbing it in our faces how many bad res cards they can print.

I write for Channel Fireball now! Read my CFB articles here. Read my Dies to Removal articles here. Read the definitive Red Deck Wins Primer here.

Want to see me in action? Check out my stream! Currently broadcasting Boros Burn in Standard. Full archive available.

Want to play better magic? Come join us at diestoremoval.com
    Well... I don't think I've ever been less exited about a duel deck. Sorin LoI (which I assume it is) seriously underperformed for me whenever I used him (I boarded him out after every game 1 in BW tokens), and I was just discussing last night how bad Tibalt is. My mate plays red in every deck he plays. He spent 4 months trying to get him to work before giving up.
    Rules Adviser
    Maybe an alt art lingering souls? But they have to include something neat.

That being said. They don't make the duel decks for the secondary market. They make them to play them vs each other.
    Currently playing:

Standard:
    UControlW
    RBig RedR

EDH:
    UWGRafiq, the ManyUWG
    GRWMayael the AnimaGRW
    Quote from Moppi
    GET MONEY WIZARDS.

At least it isn't as silly as Venser vs Koth. :p

Well...
    Koth DID kind of get into an argument with Venser, given that Koth forced he and Elspeth to help on Mirrodin against their will (and Venser frequently expressed his resentment to this in the story).

But yea, you are right, it was silly because they became allies in the end. This DD has a lot of potential to be better than VvK.
    MUSE are number one!

Quote from CMoriarty

Time Spiral mashed legs, a beard, and a body desperately in need of a cheeseburger on to Candelabra of Tawnos and gave us Magus if the Candelabra. This guy made people very nervous when he was printed, but it turns out that the difference between spending 1 colorless mana and 1 green mana for this effect is about $100.00. Who knew?
    Tibalt is the quintessential Rakdos planeswalker in terms of flavour. Maybe there is a Rakdos Tibalt in RTR and thats the version we will get here. /christmasland.
    Quote from Verox Kinaltor
    Found out why Mogis has sided with Xenagos guys!

He was in the band playing at the party
    :D:D:D:D
    Quote from Stroggoii
    Rolleyes <- My face when they reveal Chain Lightning and alt art Vampiric Tutor, Vindicate & Blood Moon and suddenly this is worth a gazillion dollars.

What on earth would they put blood moon in a duel deck for??!
    Heres hoping they rush this pile out as fast as they can so we can get something more interesting more quickly.

I get making planeswalkers a focus but why pick this over another guild vs. Guild match up, right now?
    This product wouldve been more interesting with innistrads release, not the block after we leave the plane.
    Quote from Xcric
    Heres hoping they rush this pile out as fast as they can so we can get something more interesting more quickly.

I get making planeswalkers a focus but why pick this over another guild vs. Guild match up, right now?
    This product wouldve been more interesting with innistrads release, not the block after we leave the plane.

Like most problems you hear about, they were still tweaking it so it was probably pushed to a later date.

Also this doesn't come out until March. When RtR block will be close to ending. So it'll hold players over until Sinker comes out. Another thing, they already had Planechase 2012 come out after Innistrad, then they are releasing IvG soon. Not to mention Tibalt didn't debut until AVR.

I am a Red Mage hired by the Orzhov Syndicate

EDH
    Jaya
    Maga

Standard
    RG Forest Fire

Casual
    Bloodthirst Vampires
    Rakdos Asylum
    WU Spirits
    MW Soldiers
    Azorius Stallment
    This gets a big fat "MEH" from me.

I think they like the whole "give you Planeswalkers from previous block thing" and I guess they didn't want to include any of the girls...Garruk was out by default, because they seem to not want to ever include double faced cards in anything besides booster packs (and a few promos) EVER.

If they were going to use Sorin, they really should have used Nissa! The decks could have had an Elves vs Vampires theme...would have been interesting! (yeah, there was already an Elf duel deck, but it was one of the first....AND, the Dragon deck was like half Goblins already.)

Tibalt was already my least favorite Planeswalker, this just digs him even deeper. And that new art? Ugh. It's not even dynamic, there's no tension between the two. Tibalt's all "Hey Sorin! Look at meeeee!" And Sorin's all "What? Go away."

I bet the next Duel Deck will be Gideon vs Ral, I mean, what other choice do they have? If they use the same trend they've been following (standard legal from previous block, no Planeswalkers who already were in a duel deck, no girls...) So...no Jace, no Kiora. I mean, if there's another new Walker in Return to Ravnica Block, it will probably be another human dude, so maybe that will be their other choice?
    There's a chance to win every battle.
    I saw the title and thought that it's in Rumor Mill, but suddenly...

I mean, SERIOUSLY?! I expected Liliana vs Sorin or something, but...Tibalt vs Sorin? Wow, bravo Wizards. Bravo. (No sarcasm in that sentence).
    Modern:
    W Mono-White Trading Post W
    WUBRG 5 Color Control GRBUW

EDH:
    RUW Zedruu the Greathearted WUR
    Is it going to be the old aggro deck vs. control deck, or is Tibalt's deck going to be a combo deck? That'd be refreshing.
    Quote from Kupo Samurai
    I bet the next Duel Deck will be Gideon vs Ral, I mean, what other choice do they have? If they use the same trend they've been following (standard legal from previous block, no Planeswalkers who already were in a duel deck, no girls...) So...no Jace, no Kiora. I mean, if there's another new Walker in Return to Ravnica Block, it will probably be another human dude, so maybe that will be their other choice?
    You'd lose that bet. The next Duel Deck will be a faction vs faction deck, and will be used to generate interest for the Autumn 2013 set.

WotC release two duel decks per year; a PW v PW set and a faction v faction deck. At first, the PW duel decks came out in the autumn, and the faction deck in the spring. They announced last year that, from this year, the decks would be switched round. The factions chosen would be used as part of the marketing strategy for the upcoming large set.

That's why we had two PW duel decks in a row, because WotC wanted to change the production schedule around a bit.

I'll admit to not caring much for this choice. I'd prefer Sorin LoI to the original, mostly because I already have a Sorin Markov. It would make more sense, given the emphasis on Innistrad in the setup description. I probably won't buy it unless the card choices are stellar.
    Last edited by Merestil Haye: 8/30/2012 6:39:09 AM
    Lapsed Rules Adviser.
    Quote from Pride Leader
    Anyway, there's virtually 0% chance of me getting this. Wizards would have to do something awesome to get my money, and at this point I don't see how they could.

If there is anywhere near the value of IvG in this deck, I'll still totally pick it up. Life from the Loam was such a nice surprise. Grin
    Love is in the airThe wedding is over. Now it's time for the honeymoon.Love is in the air

Thanks to Rivenor of Miraculous Recovery Signatures!
    Quote from stealthbadger
    What on earth would they put blood moon in a duel deck for??!

So people don't automatically pull out the red box and throw it in the trash. Leafing through a duel deck full of 10 cent cards for a $2 planeswalker is an act of desperation. For the cost of this duel deck, you could probably get at least 3 playsets of Tibalt.

Sadly, the hope for this being a B/W vs. a Mono red deck is just that, and unlikely to be actually occur. It's more likely they'll mirror each other in mono color.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes