Sorin vs. Tibalt (Decklist Update March 1st)

Quote from arise_shine
    Elspeth, Knight-Errant dropped some (from $40-45 to $20-25 if I remember correctly) when she was printed in her Duel Deck, but even after rotation, her original ALA printing still held value. I assume it's because she's really powerful, has a fair amount of casual appeal, and seems some Legacy/Modern play.

Ark42 says that Elsepth was at $15 (SCG price) when she rotated. She his since risen to $30. DD:EvT came out during the time the price was rising.
    A Think Twice in hand is worth two in the grave.

You can find me on MTGO. My username is gereffi.
    Quote from gereffi
    Ark42 says that Elsepth was at $15 (SCG price) when she rotated. She his since risen to $30. DD:EvT came out during the time the price was rising.

EvT came out about a month before rotation.

It dropped as soon as it came out, but didn't drop like a rock because even the dual deck was tough to get for a couple of weeks (unless you wanted to pay $40 for it). It then continued to drop until rotation. Since then, it slowly creeped, then took a decent bump and has been slowly increasing.

Currently Playing:
    Standard:
    Nothing, the format Bores me!
    Legacy:
    RBad Burn (Made on the Cheap!)R
    EDH:
    BUGRWSliver OverlordWRGUB
    BGeth, Lord of the VaultB
    Honestly I think Vindicate fits Sorin's theme well so I could see it. if its in then expect this to fly off the shelves:P but there better be another money card other than Sorin because this set would suck:P So here's to hoping for either Bonfire or Vindicate:D
    Bonfire in a duel deck would make me weep....and not with joy.
    Quote from Lbolt187
    Honestly I think Vindicate fits Sorin's theme well so I could see it. if its in then expect this to fly off the shelves:P but there better be another money card other than Sorin because this set would suck:P So here's to hoping for either Bonfire or Vindicate:D

Usually the only mythic rare in a planeswalker duel deck is the planeswalker themselves, so it is highly unlikely we will see Bonfire in a duel deck, as for Vindicate, it's not expected to see this, have you seen the price of vindicate lately? this would instantly make the duel deck almost twice it's MSRP.
    Honestly, poor tibalt's price I dont think can drop any lower than it already has XD

This aint your girlfriends meta! This is a man's meta! TURBO META.
    Quote from Evenoire
    Honestly, poor tibalt's price I dont think can drop any lower than it already has XD

Tibalt could be the very first one dollar planeswalker.
    #FreeBloodbraidElf
    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
    Quote from Zero_MH
    as for Vindicate, it's not expected to see this, have you seen the price of vindicate lately? this would instantly make the duel deck almost twice it's MSRP.

except it wouldn't, as these are sold at mass retailers like Wal-Mart and Target... if LGSs tried to sell them for anything higher than MSRP, they wouldn't sell any, as everyone would just buy them from those retailers...

My EDH Decks:

XXBRG ~~ Kresh Necrophilia ~
    WXBXG ~~ Doran Defense ~~~~~
    Quote from Zero_MH
    Usually the only mythic rare in a planeswalker duel deck is the planeswalker themselves, so it is highly unlikely we will see Bonfire in a duel deck, as for Vindicate, it's not expected to see this, have you seen the price of vindicate lately? this would instantly make the duel deck almost twice it's MSRP.

oh yeah forgot bonfire was mythi:p they might as well put it in and bump Tibalt down to rare cause that's where he should be. and Yes I have but also keep in mind they put thragtusk in two event decks, two copies of Stoneforge in one event deck which were at the time about 15 to 20 per, then of course there's the infamous Rat's nest theme deck from betrayers so don't say it isn't possible. Is it likely?? no, but a player can dream:rolleyes: can't he??:tongue: Also Vindicate is not on the reserve list so its possible it can be reprinted but not in a core or expansion block due to power levels. but a duel deck is not a bad option for a reprint of this because it wouldn't be legal in standard nor modern but would allow more players to get access to it. Also keep in mind EvT was extremely value worthy at msrp at walmarts and target stores where they don't jack up the prices on these.
    Last edited by Lbolt187: 12/24/2012 7:02:22 PM
    If anything i'm expecting wizards to screw this up and print the more common removal like Doom Blade or Terror as pieces of removal for this set, cause they just derp like that.
    Quote from Lbolt187
    and Yes I have but also keep in mind they put thragtusk in two event decks, two copies of Stoneforge in one event deck which were at the time about 15 to 20 per, then of course there's the infamous Rat's nest theme deck from betrayers so don't say it isn't possible.

The thing is, though, Umezawa's Jitte, Stoneforge Mystic, and Thragtusk were all new or unreleased cards when WotC made the decision to put them in their respective event decks/theme decks. Nobody, not even the people at WotC, knew at the time just how valuable they would become. WotC didn't intend to have cards in those precons that were worth as much or more than the precons' MSRP. Those were all accidents.

Vindicate, on the other hand, has been out for over a decade. Everyone already knows that it's worth over twenty dollars, and that it's price has only gone up since its release.
    Quote from theMarc
    The thing is, though, Umezawa's Jitte, Stoneforge Mystic, and Thragtusk were all new or unreleased cards when WotC made the decision to put them in their respective event decks/theme decks. Nobody, not even the people at WotC, knew at the time just how valuable they would become. WotC didn't intend to have cards in those precons that were worth as much or more than the precons' MSRP. Those were all accidents.

Vindicate, on the other hand, has been out for over a decade. Everyone already knows that it's worth over twenty dollars, and that it's price has only gone up since its release.

Stoneforge Mystic was not new when it was put in an event deck. Forsythe said that SFM was put into an event deck in order to lower her price. They were worried about her price getting too high and so put her into the NPH event deck to lower her price.
    Dimir
    Quote from AtheistGod
    Stoneforge Mystic was not new when it was put in an event deck. Forsythe said that SFM was put into an event deck in order to lower her price. They were worried about her price getting too high and so put her into the NPH event deck to lower her price.

They also have stated that the Secondary Market is a secondary concern. If they feel that Vindicateshould be in here, it will get a spot.
    Quote from theMarc

this assumption can also be made for demonic tutor? because it was in a duel deck. personally, i don't think vindicate will be here, but it's not as unlikely as most of people think
    The 5 stage of grief: how Spikes reacted to Sylvan Primordial ban:
    - Denial
    Quote from Wonderland
    As of Feb 03, 2014 Sylvan Primordial isn't banned as per WOTC rulings.

- Anger
    Quote from DCDT-Dito
    our group as decided to avoid most of the ban because whe believe that the edh banlist commitee might be a bunch of monkey that only listen to player complaint instead of actual card power.

- Bargaining
    Quote from DokuDokuH
    I guess I was one of like 3 people who didn't use sypri in a degenerate way? Anyways, for animar (the only deck that ran him), I'm giving people a choice - I can either keep playing him, OR I can swap him out for Palinchron and go infinite, their choice.

- Depression
    Quote from Voxxen
    This ban has me feeling ornery and antisocial.
    Food Chain into Prossh.
    Erayo into Edric.
    Sadness into "New to EDH? Here have a deck to play. Keep it."

- Acceptance
    Nope, Spikes will not reach this stage, they are too mature for that. Instead, they will still complain one year from now, like what they are doing with Primeval Titan!
    -signature sponsorized by "Competitive players are always mature and they adapt, casual players are just noob whiny children"™-
    Quote from blackpoe66

except it wouldn't, as these are sold at mass retailers like Wal-Mart and Target... if LGSs tried to sell them for anything higher than MSRP, they wouldn't sell any, as everyone would just buy them from those retailers...

there are a multitude of unscrupulous LGS's who will buy out the stock to both create a monopoly and to fix prices.

I know of at least 2 that do this in the tri-county area here.
    Quote from Barinellos
    there are a multitude of unscrupulous LGS's who will buy out the stock to both create a monopoly and to fix prices.

I know of at least 2 that do this in the tri-county area here.

In my area, there are still plenty of ivg and grave born available at MSRP at retail stores. And those are two boxes notable for breaking even in price on the backs of a couple cards (brainstorm, scepter, Loam, Niv, Reanimate, cabal Therapy, Entomb, etc.).

I doubt the idea of a store buying all the copies to monopolize the market is a factor in WotC's design process.
    Quote from luminum can

link

I wonder if anyone has notice this. Sorins title is white fading into black WB his colors.

Tibalts is white fading into red WR

Is it possible that Tibalts deck might not be straight Red or Red/Black.

The title is normally the same that appears on the box

Now generally if there is color the color reflects the decks Jace vs Chandra, Goblins vs Elves else the title is generic silver/gold/black. As in the case of ajani vs bolas or elspeth vs tezzert.

Look it most likely is just me being all wild speculation but is it possible?
    Duel Deck master Since 2009
    Decks used- GGarruk vs LilianaB, WElsepth vs TezzeretU, WGKnights vs DragonsR
    WGRAjani vs BolasRUB, WUVenser vs KothR, RUIzzet vs GolgariGB.
    WBSorin vs TibaltBR, WRHeros vs Monsters RG

Want to see other duel decks I made ? Check out my Blog ! Feel free to post advice or give topics for me to make duel decks out of, like Seasons Quad Deck Part 2
    I wouldn't read too much into that. The gradient might just be a neat graphical effect. It's probably true, though, that Sorin's deck will have black, and Tibalt's will have red. Remember when people were speculating that Avacyn would be WB and that Elspeth Tirel would be WG?
    Level 2 Judge Smile

Currently playing:

Standard: green mana blue mana black mana Controlol; red mana green mana white mana Elephants

Modern: blue mana white mana red mana Midrange ("Sometimes you just wanna @#$% punch someone in the face.")

Commander: blue mana red mana green mana Riku ("Some weird doubple spell thing happened")

Pauper: green mana blue mana black mana Dredge; blue mana black mana Control; blue mana Delvurrrr

My MTG blog
    Quote from Spazik008
    what is a duel deck and is it standard legal?

Two preconstructed decks that are designed to be played against each other, and are designed to be on equal level with the other.

If the card is Standard legal, then you can use the card from the Duel Deck in Standard.

Does anyone know which version of Sorin is going to be in the DD?
    Quote from Raver
    oh noesssss....whatever shall we do? Your $400 deck got trumped by an uncommon, you mad bro?
    Quote from IcedNeonFlames
    Two preconstructed decks that are designed to be played against each other, and are designed to be on equal level with the other.

If the card is Standard legal, then you can use the card from the Duel Deck in Standard.

Does anyone know which version of Sorin is going to be in the DD?

Wink 40 pages and 99.999999% of the people know its Sorin, Lord of innistrad

I.e The cards are legal in what ever there latest printing is legal in. So for example Brainstorm is not legal standard or modern due to its latest set print is only being from Mercadian Masques. However Searing spear in these duel decks can be used cause its latest print is m13
    Last edited by Epic_Bubble: 1/25/2013 5:17:43 PM
    Duel Deck master Since 2009
    Decks used- GGarruk vs LilianaB, WElsepth vs TezzeretU, WGKnights vs DragonsR
    WGRAjani vs BolasRUB, WUVenser vs KothR, RUIzzet vs GolgariGB.
    WBSorin vs TibaltBR, WRHeros vs Monsters RG

Want to see other duel decks I made ? Check out my Blog ! Feel free to post advice or give topics for me to make duel decks out of, like Seasons Quad Deck Part 2
    Quote from arise_shine
    Remember when people were speculating that Avacyn would be WB and that Elspeth Tirel would be WG?

And when they speculated that Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas would be UR...
    Quote from Sanity"s_Eclipse

Tibalt's character is kick-ass. His card blows.

I'm hoping they make a good card for him down the line.

And really, they could have made his +1 something else if they were so afraid of him costing 2.

It doesn't even make much sense with his theme of pain.

I guess random discard is painful...?
    Fantasy RPG Class Test - Silver Hand

"OH GOD MY BRAIN IS EXPLOADING AT HOW BAD THE ART IS ON MY OWN CARD"

-A friend's first impression of Ancestral Recall

Quote from hawk1674
    "Why are you tapping your lands the wrong way?"

HUH?

He was explaining that you ALWAYS tap your lands to the left to show they have been used. He even taught his kids - Always to the left.

Quote from King Pun
    your friend should engrave "always to the left" on his epiTAPh

seriously, is your friend part of the gestapo?

10/10, I tapped.
    Well, if you build him a Madness deck, it could be painful.

I am a Red Mage hired by the Orzhov Syndicate

EDH
    Jaya
    Maga

Standard
    RG Forest Fire

Casual
    Bloodthirst Vampires
    Rakdos Asylum
    WU Spirits
    MW Soldiers
    Azorius Stallment
    Quote from Sphynx
    It doesn't even make much sense with his theme of pain.

I guess random discard is painful...?

Well, before Tibalt ascended, he "researched" pain. My guess is that the drawing cards part is a reference to his study and discovering new things, and that the discarding at random part is a reference to the fact that he was actually a pretty crappy researcher.
    Quote from blackpoe66

Pretty much this. We all saw how much value was in Izzet vs. Golgari, and yet every store I go in (Wal-Mart, LGS, etc.) still has many copies at MSRP. While Vindicate would be huge, I wouldn't expect it to be difficult to find at MSRP.

Granted, Star City Games would try to sell it way over MSRP like they did IvG, but hopefully no one's stupid enough to pay that price...
    Quote from "Feared and Fearless" »
    Stephen Hawking can say the sky is made of Jello, but that doesn't make it true.

EDH Logic:
    Casual EDH decks are decks that are worse than mine. Competitive EDH decks are decks that are better than mine.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes