Sorin vs. Tibalt (Decklist Update March 1st)

link

On the world of Innistrad, humans have always been pawns. For the mighty vampire families, humans are the source of blood and the foundation of their power. For the werewolf packs, humans are prey. For the ghouls and ghosts of the plane, humans are reminders of lives gone by, the despised living to be hunted and terrified. And for demons and devils, humans are targets for their hatred and torment.

Sorin was among the first generation of vampires created on Innistrad. He saw how his kind spread over the plane, feeding on and ultimately diminishing the populace. He argued for restraint, but the other vampire families resented his intrusion. Unknown to his kin, however, Sorin was a Planeswalker. He traveled the Multiverse searching for a solution to the grave situation on his home plane. Ultimately, he created the archangel Avacyn, a protector that would watch over the humans of Innistrad and serve as the symbol of hope. Thousands of years later, Innistrad is still afflicted with monstrous creatures, but thanks to Sorin’s intervention, the Avacynian Church continues to lend its protection to the world’s humans.

The fiendish mage Tibalt was born human, but immediately showed a predilection for inflicting pain. When a dark invocation caused his essence to be merged with infernal devils of Innistrad, his Planeswalker spark was ignited. He was free to traverse the Multiverse looking for new unfortunates to torment, but the innocent people of his native Innistrad were always his favorite victims.

Sorin, with his long-sighted, vampiric perspective, knows that humanity may lose its tenuous grip on survival if Innistrad’s monstrous forces hunt too recklessly. The young pain-mage Tibalt, on the other hand, respects no authority but his own vicious whims. As they clash, neither will tolerate anything but the utter defeat of his foe. Who will prevail is up to you.

Deck Design and Deck Development: Chris Millar and Kelly Digges
    Twitter Hashtag: #MTGSVT
    Languages Available: English, Japanese
    Release Date: March 15, 2013
    MSRP: $19.99

Adding decklists!
    luminum can's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    Planeswalkers:
    1x Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

2x Doomed Traveler
    1x Vampire Lacerator
    1x Wall of Omens
    1x Child of Night
    2x Duskhunter Bat
    1x Mesmeric Fiend
    1x Gatekeeper of Malakir
    1x Twilight Drover
    1x Bloorage Vampire
    1x Fiend Hunter
    1x Vampire Nighthawk
    1x Mausoleum Guard
    1x Phantom General
    1x Vampire Outcasts
    1x Revenant Patriarch
    1x Butcher of Malakir
    1x Sengir Vampire

1x Mark of the Vampire
    1x Field of Souls

1x Decompose
    1x Lingering Souls (FNM art?)
    2x Spectral Procession (? Art)
    1x Ancient Craving
    1x Absorb Vis
    1x Death Grasp (? Art)

1x Vampire's Bite
    1x Sorin's Thirst
    1x Urge to Feed
    1x Zealous Persecution
    1x Mortify (? Art)
    1x Unmake

2x Evolving Wilds
    2x Tainted Fields
    12x Swamp
    9x Plains

2x Spirit

luminum can's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    Planeswalkers:
    1x Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded

1x Goblin Arsonist
    1x Scorched Rusalka
    1x Reassembling Skeleton
    2x Ashmouth Hound
    2x Hellspark Elemental
    2x Vithian Stinger
    1x Shambling Remains
    1x Coal Stoker
    1x Lavaborn Muse
    1x Mad Prophet
    1x Hellrider
    1x Skirsdag Cultist
    1x Corpse Connoisseur
    1x Scourge Devil
    1x Gang of Devils

1x Bump in the Night
    1x Faithless Looting
    1x Flame Slash
    1x Pyroclasm
    1x Recoup
    2x Browbeat (Alt art)
    1x Breaking Point
    1x Blightning (Alt Art)
    1x Torrent of Souls
    1x Devil's Play

1x Blazing Salvo
    1x Geistflame
    1x Terminate
    1x Strangling Soot
    1x Flame Javelin

1x Sulfuric Vortex

2x Akoum Refuge
    2x Rakdos Carnarium
    14x Mountain
    6x Swamp

ATTACHMENTS
    • 1049_logo_mz9sdrzvkm
    • 1049_expsym_bgn36vp5y7
    • 1049_mz9sdrzvkm
    Last edited by TK-421: 3/1/2013 9:32:22 AM
    So is this Sorin Markov or Sorin, Lord of Innistrad? Guessing the latter due to it referring to Innistrad several times.
    Standard:
    Bident Layers
    B Devotion
    RG Devotion
    UW Control

Modern:
    Jund
    UW Control
    Combo Pod

Legacy:

DeathBlade
    RUG Delver
    BUG Control

Quote from Wydogg5305
    So is this Sorin Markov or Sorin, Lord of Innistrad? Guessing the latter due to it referring to Innistrad several times.

Gotta be Sorin, Lord of Innistrad...
    Otherwise it better cost $10 :p

Also, I totally thought this was a troll until I saw who it was and the graphic...
    It just *sounds* like a joke!

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    I am super excited to see more artwork of Tibalt. Hopefully we get something along the lines of an alternate-art Brimstone Volley or Devil's Play.

Signature by| Rakdos |Scion of Zendikar
    Quote from empathogen
    Gotta be Innistrad...

But we don't actually know.
    Kaalia 1v1 - Drana - Yeva - Zegana - Bloodbraid Elf

I'm insanely picky and anal with my generals.
    At first glance I thought it was a joke too. Has wizards really lost touch with their player base this badly. Unless this is a new improved Tibat 2.0 and Sorin 2.0 or has some absolutely omg godly cards in it, this is going to fail like so bad.

On the other hand, Watch they'll announce vindicate, B/R Tibalt 2.0, Mortify, and Terminate. Then they'll announce shops will only get 1.
    Last edited by JonathanSpx: 8/30/2012 12:11:32 AM

Viva la revolution against raising MSRP.

Casual Players: We are the 99%. Buy local or go home.
    Net decks: Going Rogue so you don't have to.
    ave atque vale
    Wut.

I don't think anybody could have predicted this duel deck. The matchup just seems random.

Unfortunately, we're almost certainly going to be getting good old "Russian-Roulette-for-2-mana" Tibalt. God, Red Planeswalkers suck.
    Love is in the airThe wedding is over. Now it's time for the honeymoon.Love is in the air

Thanks to Rivenor of Miraculous Recovery Signatures!
    My responses from the other thread.

Quote from Sanity"s_Eclipse
    Tibalt looks epic in the art at the bottom.

That being said, I hate it. Which Sorin it's gonna be isn't clear, for one. And Two, Tibalt just kinda sucks. Three, like someone else said, the conflict kinda makes sense but still feels contrived.

Why couldn't it have been Tamiyo? I'd have bought that ---- in a heartbeat. No

Quote from Sanity"s_Eclipse
    Alright, so post-initial reaction response now.

If it's Sorin, Lord blah, then maybe I'll get it, just because I'm starting to love WBR. But seriously, I don't have a deck for that Sorin, and Tibalt still kinda sucks. Really wish they would've done Tammy.

If Sorin's deck actually does have a Vindicate, then I will buy a copy, lol.

It wouldn't be Tamiyo because she isn't antagonistic in nature. She is curious, and is there studying the moon.
    Quote from jedimindtricks

Now, if we could just get that goblin walker. Preferably before the part in the storyline where he planeswalked right into Progenitus.

On the Subject of Master Biomancer:
    Quote from Lully
    That mythic is very mythic. Pillarfield ox has returned with a vengeance.

Many thanks to DNC at Heroes of the Plane Studios
    An....interesting choice of a duel deck, to say the least. Oh well. I'm sure someone, somewhere will want this.
    45% Johnny, 40% Spike, 15% Timmy

Current Decks:
    Casual:
    UWU/W BlinkUW
    BMono-Black ControlB

Commander:
    GWUJenara CiPGWU
    GUBThe MimeoplasmGUB(starting)
    WUBSharuumWUB (retired)

Modern:
    xAffinityx (starting)

Standard:
    Ha! That's a good one.
    Dear gods, that expansion symbol is sexy...

It may be an awkward match up, but at least it wasn't something completely ridiculous like Venser vs. Koth.

Glorious avatar and signature done by Rivenor at Miraculous Recovery Signatures.

***Former MCC Organizer***
    Come join us! Show us your creative side.

I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English. If you believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure, then copy this into your signature.
    This isn't a duel, it is a smackdown... Sorin wins this every time...

Though it will be hilarious if it includes vindicate... Smile
    (U/B) is :symbu: or :symub: and the same is true for the other 9 hybrid symbols with their two colors in for the last 2 leters of the code. ((2/B) and co are :sym2b: and (P/B) and co are :sympb:)
    Alternatively {UB}, {2B} or {PB} in taGSaRe[mana](B/U), (2/B) or (P/B)
    Q is :symq: and T is :symtap: and Q or T will give Q and T in [mana] tags
    What is Strictly Better
    Scry (firefox)
    Agreed that Tamiyo would have been a much, MUCH better choice than Tibalt.

Oh well- at least it has a cool expansion symbol?

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    Tibalt looks strung out and about to cut somebody. Then again, that's probably exactly the vibe they were going for. Hopefully they can get creative with his design space seeing as no one has built a really successful deck around him yet.
    Aww, why couldn't it have been Tamiyo?

Hopefully Tibalt's deck will have a Bonfire in it to bring down the price.
    Quote from Unskilled Ninja
    Wut.

I don't think anybody could have predicted this duel deck. The matchup just seems random.

Unfortunately, we're almost certainly going to be getting good old "Russian-Roulette-for-2-mana" Tibalt. God, Red Planeswalkers suck.

The match-up makes a lot of sense, actually, since they're both native to Innistrad and have very opposed temperaments and goals. It's easy to imagine them fighting if they met at some point. Though it's obvious that Sorin would win that fight, in-story. He has a few thousand years more experience than Tibalt.
    Quote from zombiepete
    Aww, why couldn't it have been Tamiyo?

Hopefully Tibalt's deck will have a Bonfire in it to bring down the price.

It wouldn't make much sense for Tibalt to be using Avacynian magic. Miracles in general wouldn't make sense for Tibalt's deck for that reason and because his +1 ability draws a second card on your turn. Duel decks built around planeswalkers are made to have synergy with the planeswalker's abilities and match their general flavor and mechanical themes.
    I was almost certain this was a joke. Well... I may be interested... if it's Sorin 2.0 of course. I have neither and might use both.

Heck, it'll be good as long as they can get the card choices (value + theme) right like they did with IvG. If it's another VVK, I'll probably pass though.
    Last edited by Icarus599: 8/29/2012 11:48:17 PM
    Quote from "Feared and Fearless" »
    Stephen Hawking can say the sky is made of Jello, but that doesn't make it true.

EDH Logic:
    Casual EDH decks are decks that are worse than mine. Competitive EDH decks are decks that are better than mine.
    GET MONEY WIZARDS.

At least it isn't as silly as Venser vs Koth. :p
    From the same team that gave you The MENDING and CLOCKWORKING...
    OFFSCREENING
    It happened.... off screen.

Webcomic Status:
    Strip #017 = UP~! :p

"PLANESWALKERS" : 1993-2007
    "Will History remember this as the day that someone made a wise decision? or
    the day where someone made a GRAND MISTAKE?"
    sneakybread Angel Enthusiast - Flavor and Art Enthusiast - The Serran Scholar of The [Pack]
    My two favorite planeswalkers (as characters, not cards) in a Duel Deck... I'm in love with WotC at this moment. Most people will hate this, but I really don't care.

I just really hope that at some point down the line, they expand on Tibalt as a character, especially with a new card. The idea of a pain-mage planeswalker is pretty epic.

shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

Sigpic by me, 'Angel of Despair' by Todd Lockwood, 'Kaalia of the Vast' by Michael Komarck, 'Defiler of Souls' by Paul Bonner

Should Blue Be Banned?

STANDARD (POST-THEROS)
    - U/W/r Control
    MODERN
    - N/A
    LEGACY
    - LED-less Dredge

I collect Phyrexian Ragers! (currently 41 nonfoils, 0 foils)
    There's probably no way I'm picking this up but wow that art is absolutely mind-blowing. Any way to make it wallpaper sized?

Sig banner courtesy of Miraculous Recovery Signatures
    Quote from TabooTapeworm
    There's probably no way I'm picking this up but wow that art is absolutely mind-blowing. Any way to make it wallpaper sized?

Wait for it to be closer to release, probably.

Looks like it has plenty of potential and given the Izzet v. Golgari decks, it seems they learned their lesson from the misfire that was Venser v. Koth. If they can keep up that up, then all the naysaying may all be for nothing. I got Venser v. Koth, but I only got around to opening it about two months after the fact to pull out the Path to Exile and Journeyer's Kite.

My money is on Sorin v2. Putting in v1 would be a fantastic way to troll everyone, but they can't be that dumb... can they?
    Commander decks-
    Rafiq of the Many - Voltron
    Kresh the Bloodbraided - Elemental Tribal
    Sen Triplets - 100 Permanent griefer combo
    Mikaeus, the Lunarch - Tokens
    Mikaeus Unhallowed - Big black and undying
    Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer or Gisela, Blade of Goldknight - Metalcraft aggro
    Zedruu, the Goat - Your stuff is better than mine. Lets trade
    Riku of Two Reflections - Card advantage control
    Talrand, Sky Summoner - badstuff.dec (in progress)
    Quote from TabooTapeworm

There's a good chance Chase Stone will be posting the art on one of his sites soon, so keep an eye on the Magic Art Archive in the artwork subforum.

My art blog

Claims:
    Innistrad will have at least a Tribal subtheme - proven right October 2011 : 4 rights

The kicker variant in WWK will be "Kicker without a kicked effect." - proven wrong Jan 2010 : 2 wrongs

Decks:
    :symu::symb: Bloodchief Ascension - Modern

:symb::symr: Rakdos, the Defiler - EDH
    :symu::symb::symw: Sharuum the Hegemon - EDH
    :symw::symu::symb: Zur the Enchanter - EDH
    Quote from luminum can

It wouldn't make much sense for Tibalt to be using Avacynian magic. Miracles in general wouldn't make sense for Tibalt's deck for that reason and because his +1 ability draws a second card on your turn. Duel decks built around planeswalkers are made to have synergy with the planeswalker's abilities and match their general flavor and mechanical themes.

So instead we most likely get a worse mono red deck than we did with Koth and an even worse walker too?

Sorin is the only thing selling this to anyone, they would need to add some serious power to either of them to make it sell to anyone apart from a few collectors.

These Planeswalker vs Planeswalker decks have gotten worse while the faction vs faction decks have been getting better and better, I predict this will keep with this pattern of being very meh.
    Last edited by Greenlexluthor: 8/30/2012 12:01:37 AM
    Current EDH decks
    Captain Sisay (legends and loam)
    Shirei, Shizo's caretaker
    Xenagos, God of revels
    Karn, silver golem Kombo
    Wrexial the risen deep
    Talrand, Dr.Drake attack
    Brion Stoutarm

Planned decks:
    Maelstrom wanderer wildfires
    After a really good Duel Decks: Izzet vs Golgari
    they make this ???

my feeling said it will fail so miserably
    Quote from Caedere

So.
    I think I understand now.
    As far as these forums are concerned, WotC can never do anything good because:

Card that is new and probably good = "pushed"
    Card that is new and probably bad = "EDH/casual fodder"
    Card that is a reprint = "lazy"
    Card that is a better version of an older card = "power creep"
    Card that is a weaker version of an older card = "worthless"

Does that about sum things up?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes