Name and Number Crunch

Quote from bubonic plague
    I think the Zameck Guildmage will be an Elf, not a Merfolk. Fwiw. Mainly because of the attached pictures being in the Simic fan kit. I know that's an unimportant detail, but meh, I want to contribute whatever I can.

On the other hand, the picture seems very like it is "taken" underwater - the overall blue hue, the kelp aroud his arms, and the position of the kelp looks like it is floating in water. I am inclined to merfolk.
    Mad 100% Vorthos Spike and Storyline Expert Mad

Former Fact Prospector of the Greek Alliance.
    Let this great clan rest in peace (2001-2011)

>>Banner by Spanglegluppet<<

Quote from Cetryz
    What if he is the next step in evolution? An elf and a merfolk, just like [CARD]Gaea's Skyfolk
    [/CARD]

I though about that, but that wouldn't really be keeping in line with the cycle. Every other guildmage has 1 race/1 class.

And yeah, the pic is definitely underwater, but this is the Simic...that doesnt mean merfolk. Just compare the picture I posted above with the picture of Zegana, for what merfolk look like.
    ATTACHMENTS
    • Wallpaper_Simic_01_iPad
    I am a:
    Storyline nerd, sliver-lover, vegan, anarchist, pansexual, role-playing, tattoo-covered, punk kid. Those are all the applicable labels I can think of, I will add more as they pop up.
    Current decks:
    :symr::symw: Allies-Modern
    :symg::symu: Infect-Old Standard that I need to update
    And trying to decide what my next EDH will be.

I am a :symg::symrg::symr::symur::symu::symug: 'walker all the way.
    Quote from Caranthir
    On the other hand, the picture seems very like it is "taken" underwater - the overall blue hue, the kelp aroud his arms, and the position of the kelp looks like it is floating in water. I am inclined to merfolk.

Yeah, the floating kelp is a dead giveaway.
    Unless the dude has anti-gravity powers (unlikely- that's already on New Prahv Guildmage),
    this guy is chillin' underwater.

Maybe he's an Elf that can grant Islandwalk?

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    The Zameck Guildmage has explicitly been referred to as being an Elf that looks a bit Merfolk-ish (quite appropriate for the guild)... but I can't remember exactly where. Slant I think maybe the Return to Ravnica flavor/story preview panel at PAX (they briefly touched on the Gatecrash guilds)? I need to double-check.

But it would have been printed on the preview card at PAX, anyway.

Edit: I did remember correctly! Here's a video of the panel, the Zameck Guildmage shows up at 0:28:45, described as an "elf [that has] an aquatic feel."
    Last edited by luminum can: 11/30/2012 6:55:10 PM
    Yes, according to the panel, it was indicated that this was an elf that used magic to enhance its body, thus he could very well be a water-breathing elf. According to the mother-ship, Simic has the power to create new life-forms - so it fits into the Simic theme.
    Since there doesn't seem to be any hybrid one drops in GTC, don't you think there could be fewer hybrid cards in GTC than RTR? Fifteen hybrids mean more or less three per guild, and that seems like a lot without the one drops. 7 out of the 15 hybrid cards in RTR were one drops, and it's at 1 and 2 cmc hybrid mana is most useful imho. These sets might not be as mirrored as we imagine. Just a thought.
    Quote from limovrak
    Since there doesn't seem to be any hybrid one drops in GTC, don't you think there could be fewer hybrid cards in GTC than RTR? Fifteen hybrids mean more or less three per guild, and that seems like a lot without the one drops. 7 out of the 15 hybrid cards in RTR were one drops, and it's at 1 and 2 cmc hybrid mana is most useful imho. These sets might not be as mirrored as we imagine. Just a thought.

You should think about that differently. The Hybrid cards in RTR (and the original Ravnica block for that matter), was one rare, one uncommon and one common per guild. Yes, the uncommons in RTR was also a cycle of one-drops, but that doesn't mean that there won't be any uncommon hybrids in Gatecrash. Also, just because it won't be a cycle doesn't mean there won't be any one drop hybrids in GTC.
    The Commander Gauntlet | Lameria
    BGW Ghave, Guru of Spores | UB Vela the Night-Clad | B Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker | R Norin the Wary | RG Stonebrow, Krosan Hero
    GUB The Mimeoplasm | BRG Kresh the Bloodbraided | RGW Uril the Miststalker | WUB Zur the Enchanter | GW Captain Sisay
    RWU Zedruu the Greathearted | UB Grimgrin, Corpse-Born | BR Kaervek the Merciless | BRG Prossh, Skyraider of Kher
    UBR Nicol Bolas | GUB Damia, Sage of Stone | X Karn, Silver Golem | UR Melek, Izzet Paragon
    We have "Forgeling Champion" as a possible name for a flame-kin, going by this thread. Whether that's the actual name, who knows, but I thought it was at least worth pointing out.
    It would be very helpful if you could link the name of the card to the actual card in the spoiler, so one can quickly look it up.
    And thank you for your work, it's something I find very interesting
    Has anyone else pointed out that any further mythics should have a name later in the alphabet than "Hel"? That is to say, the five revealed mythics were stolen from the top of the foil mythic sheet?

Not sure if it helps much, but... it is a clue, I guess...
    For the record, today's cards only enforces my suspicions that the Craigslist cards are fake.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Quote from Moss_Elemental
    For the record, today's cards only enforces my suspicions that the Craigslist cards are fake.

Noticed myself that their numbers do not fit correctly if we are to account for the angel, the token making cipher spell as well as Boros and Dimir Charm. However, I've been told that those numbers are only guesses based on the pictures which could be widely inaccurate, and someone else pointed out that Domri Rade is quoted in the flavor text of the new Stomping Ground.
    BGW Ghave, Guru of Spores | UB Vela the Night-Clad | B Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker | R Norin the Wary | RG Stonebrow, Krosan Hero
    GUB The Mimeoplasm | BRG Kresh the Bloodbraided | RGW Uril the Miststalker | WUB Zur the Enchanter | GW Captain Sisay
    RWU Zedruu the Greathearted | UB Grimgrin, Corpse-Born | BR Kaervek the Merciless | BRG Prossh, Skyraider of Kher
    UBR Nicol Bolas | GUB Damia, Sage of Stone | X Karn, Silver Golem | UR Melek, Izzet Paragon
    I thought you'd like to know that we have some spots confirmed for the other two Shocklands.

Watery Grave is confirmed as the final land in the set (expected, but not really sure) and Breeding Pool is #240, which locks Dimir Guildgate in at #241. The span count gives us one spot before Breeding Pool, which locks in Boros Guildgate at #240. This gives us one more artifact slot. This is the only change it looks like from RTR.

On the other side though, after seeing the Gruul mechanic Domri Rade's +1 ability only makes more sense.
    Quote from TheElk801
    I feel like a moron. I hope people forget this ever happened.

On posting Garruk of the Wild

I would say quite the opposite really. The flavor text on the new Stomping Ground all but confirm their reality.
    Last edited by Dylancool2: 12/31/2012 2:13:09 PM
    Quote from Dylancool2
    I would say quite the opposite really. The flavor text on the new Stomping Ground all but confirm their reality.

And as mentioned previously in this thread, the flavor text has been known since the Stomping Ground image was unveiled at PAX a few months ago. The speculated {+1} ability certainly works well with Bloodrush, but I wouldn't point to the flavor text as proof to help the case that the Mythics are real. I think Domri Rade is likely just #156 with Deathpact Angel at #153 and Drakewing Krasis at #157, which helps out with the numbering quite a bit.

EDIT: @Dylan - Not saying they are fake, just that the flavor text isn't the best indication that they are indeed real.
    ATTACHMENTS
    • A1wOB0wCMAAOIc9
    Last edited by AEIOUsometimesY: 1/2/2013 11:47:49 AM
    Drakewing Krasis seems like a clear #157 to me. And I can see Domri being #156.
    Elspeth is dead. Long live Elspeth.
    Quote from AEIOUsometimesY
    And as mentioned previously in this thread, the flavor text has been known since the Stomping Ground image was unveiled at PAX a few months ago. The speculated {+1} ability certainly works well with Bloodrush, but I wouldn't point to the flavor text as proof to help the case that the Mythics are real. I think Domri Rade is likely just #156 with Drakewing Krasis at #157, which helps out with the numbering quite a bit.

Well I would say that if those cards are fake, they are not only VERY well done In terms of style of art to artist credited, mechanically and "printable probability at rarity". Its a very well done hoax, and i would be ultimately surprised if they turned out to be fake.
    It was mentioned by Maro during RtR previews that GTC had the same amount of Non Basic Lands; this would be 13, I only see 11 in this.
    Quote from Druidiana
    It was mentioned by Maro during RtR previews that GTC had the same amount of Non Basic Lands; this would be 13, I only see 11 in this.

I think you misunderstood something. As far as I remember, what Maro Said was that GTC and RTR have the same number of cards that aren't basic lands (i.e. GTC has 249 cards and RTR has 274 cards, which is 249 + 25 basic lands). Not the same number of non-basic land cards.

The number of basic lands we have now in the list is based on the number of span tags in the source code of the WOTC visual spoiler, which has historically been a reliable indicator for the number of different cards a certain type gets.
    #165 is Foundry Champion. Gruul Charm will need to be moved down.
    This thread is for discussion of changes that need to be made to the Name and Number Crunch.

If you want to discuss non-basic lands do so elsewhere.

There's no proof she's being chased
    by ninja squirrels either
    . - Dr. Wilson
    Some nitpicks: Tin Street Market can be bolded since we can count the spans and see it's 2 behind Viashino Shanktail.

Something's wrong with the formatting around 145-146? I think you meant to bold these?

Actually -- something's up with the cards from 145-152. OK, Moss_Elemental already pointed this out; but I want to point it out again now that we have span counts: Call of the Nightwing should be 149, Deathpact Angel should be 153, Drakewing Krasis should be 157.

OK, I'm guessing you probably know that already actually; I just thought it would be good to get it written down somewhere.
    Zameck Guidlmage is #209, so Zegana must have another kind of name
    Quote from Hunter
    Zameck Guidlmage is #209, so Zegana must have another kind of name

Probably "Prime Speaker Zegana", then, or possibly just "Speaker Zegana".
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes