5 Foil Mythics

i think they're real because it's obvious that these were the top row of the foil mythic sheet, and he stole them because they were from "the most expensive part" of the print run. look at the first letter of each card, nothing past H.
    Quote from lucedes
    i think they're real because it's obvious that these were the top row of the foil mythic sheet, and he stole them because they were from "the most expensive part" of the print run. look at the first letter of each card, nothing past H.

Except we know that we're getting a Gideon planeswalker, which will be a mythic rare.

(Don't get me wrong, these are almost certainly real IMO, but it wasn't just "the first five mythics" that were stolen.)
    Last edited by IotaNull: 12/29/2012 4:53:49 PM
    ...ugh, and naming conventions have planeswalker names start with their name.

Yeah, okay, that's shot, then.
    Quote from photodyer
    Actually, making fakes of a new card is remarkably easy, particularly foils. Old foils are easily stripped back to foil blanks, and from there all you need is original artwork and pigment or thermal inks. Manipulating a card template in Photoshop is child's play, and emulated fonts are easy to google up as well.

The problem with "new" cards is that there's no baseline comparator in existing MtG cards to hold a "spoiled" card next to. Thus, the differences in hue, luminance, depth of shade and opacity that readily give away counterfeit copies of real cards don't exist. The fact that all the "spoiled" mythics are foil should in and of itself raise questions...

It's not like these cards are being passed around in a live forum under real scrutiny...they are just a snapshots on the Web where no one can so much as run a fingernail over the card surface.

There are also reports of people meeting the guy that had these cards in person and examining them. Obviously he could have set up that "meeting" just to fool us more but that seems like going to a ridiculous extreme especially when the guy that posted these on Craigslist didn't even try to post them here first.

So basically he wasn't even trying to fool anyone just selling cards on Craigslist, then someone saw the posting and asked for pics which they posted here.

Feel free to bid on my cards here!
    Quote from Pasab
    And SCG sell them. You really believe they have no connection at Wizards ?

They don't, but they haven't presold fake cards since......have they ever?

Cards are real bros.
    The Boros keyword works SO well with Aurelia, that seals it.
    News and spoiler contributor for GatheringMagic.com

Twitter
    Where exactly did we get the card numbers from for these cards?

The card numbers given in the spoiler are #147 for Boborygmos Enraged, and #150 for Domri Rade. One would assume that between the two would be Boros Charm and Dimir Charm, at #148 and #149. However, today we got cards named Deathpact Angel and Call of the Nightwing, which would also have to fit between those two early spoilers. Something's not right.
    The Commander Gauntlet | Lameria
    BGW Ghave, Guru of Spores | UB Vela the Night-Clad | B Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker | R Norin the Wary | RG Stonebrow, Krosan Hero
    GUB The Mimeoplasm | BRG Kresh the Bloodbraided | RGW Uril the Miststalker | WUB Zur the Enchanter | GW Captain Sisay
    RWU Zedruu the Greathearted | UB Grimgrin, Corpse-Born | BR Kaervek the Merciless | BRG Prossh, Skyraider of Kher
    UBR Nicol Bolas | GUB Damia, Sage of Stone | X Karn, Silver Golem | UR Melek, Izzet Paragon
    Quote from chaosof99

The card numbers given in the spoiler are #147 for Boborygmos Enraged, and #150 for Domri Rade. One would assume that between the two would be Boros Charm and Dimir Charm, at #148 and #149. However, today we got cards named Deathpact Angel and Call of the Nightwing, which would also have to fit between those two early spoilers. Something's not right.

Most convincing fake cards of 2012 incoming?
    Quote from chaosof99

The card numbers are, uh, rather blurry in those images. Those were mostly best guess based on what could be made out of the scan.
    Quote from Dontrike
    Most convincing fake cards of 2012 incoming?

Not necessarily. Card numbers are always hard to obtain since they are printed so small, and you can hardly make them out on some images of combination of cards, even the original card images from WOTC (particularly with red cards).

So when they're just guesses we can figure it out. If they were named by the original source of the rumor (the seller on Craigslist), we have a problem. I simply noticed because I bolded these cards in the Number crunch since I assumed we had straight confirmation of the card numbers. Apparently we do not though.
    Last edited by chaosof99: 12/31/2012 2:22:02 AM
    The Commander Gauntlet | Lameria
    BGW Ghave, Guru of Spores | UB Vela the Night-Clad | B Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker | R Norin the Wary | RG Stonebrow, Krosan Hero
    GUB The Mimeoplasm | BRG Kresh the Bloodbraided | RGW Uril the Miststalker | WUB Zur the Enchanter | GW Captain Sisay
    RWU Zedruu the Greathearted | UB Grimgrin, Corpse-Born | BR Kaervek the Merciless | BRG Prossh, Skyraider of Kher
    UBR Nicol Bolas | GUB Damia, Sage of Stone | X Karn, Silver Golem | UR Melek, Izzet Paragon
    Quote from chaosof99
    Not necessarily. Card numbers are always hard to obtain since they are printed so small, and you can hardly make them out on some images of combination of cards, even the original card images from WOTC (particularly with red cards).

So when they're just guesses we can figure it out. If they were named by the original source of the rumor (the seller on Craigslist), we have a problem. I simply noticed because I bolded these cards in the Number crunch since I assumed we had straight confirmation of the card numbers. Apparently we do not though.

Domri could be 156
    I can't quite make it out. but borby looks like 147
    Anyone has seen the new flavor text for Stomping Ground on the spoilered cards? I think it confirms Domri Rade...
    Quote from Eldritchguy
    Anyone has seen the new flavor text for Stomping Ground on the spoilered cards? I think it confirms Domri Rade...

No, because we saw Stomping Ground months ago at PAX when shocks were spoiled. All it means is that whoever faked Domri was attentive to detail.

(That said, I think these cards are real; just being cautious.)
    EDH: U Ultimus U ۰ B Geth B ۰ G Kamahl G ۰ W/U manaIsperia W/U mana ۰ B/R manaOliviaB/R mana ۰ R/W manaJor KadeenR/W mana ۰ W/B mana U/B manaSydriW/B mana U/B mana ۰ W/G mana B/G manaGhaveW/G mana B/G mana
    Standard: W/R Aggro
    So, whatever happened to our intrepid, but not particularly bright, would-be-salesman?

Was he abducted by WotC's secret police (the most feared corporate enforcers) never to be seen again? Is he languishing in some foetid basement under their HQ?
    The collector's number is pretty clearly 156 to me. Notice it's just an 180-degree rotated "9", which is clearly seen and known from the "/259" part.

I don't know how it was put into the spoiler at 150 but it's almost certainly wrong.
    :symg::symr::symu: Riku of Two Reflections [Primer]
    :symu::symr: Melek WheelStorm
    :symw::symg: Trostani Enchantress (updated 6/5)
    :symg::symr::symu: Unexpected Results.dec
    blue mana Thada Adel Stax WIP
    Confirmation of Domri today almost certainly confirms the validity of the rest of the mythics. I'm good with that.

Credits to Disappointing Signet Inc. Chemtrails, you are the greatest disappointment of all.

Decks I'm Currently Playing

Standard
    UWStandard UW ControlUW

EDH
    UWGDereviUWG --> Permanents tapped everywhere!
    Quote from Folza
    Confirmation of Domri today almost certainly confirms the validity of the rest of the mythics. I'm good with that.

(sarcasm)
    Surprise! Surprise!
    (/sarcasm)

I am amazed people were still skeptical over these extremely well designed and believable cards.

If these 5 were fake the guy should go get a job at Wizards making cards.

While I'm glad that Domri is finally confirmed, I feel as if Wizards is trolling us tonight because we already knew about Domri as well as Skullcrack.

Mark Rosewater: "Those pesky MTGSalvationites, they'll all be on their computers checking our site, but we'll show them cards they already know! LOL! That'll teach em'!!!"

WotC lackey: "Yes... yes master... what a delectably evil scheme... I will see to it at once..."
    Looking for FOIL Kazandu Blademasters, to buy or trade for. Any language. Please PM me if you have any. Thanks.
    Quote from tachiKC
    While I'm glad that Domri is finally confirmed, I feel as if Wizards is trolling us tonight because we already knew about Domri as well as Skullcrack.

Mark Rosewater: "Those pesky MTGSalvationites, they'll all be on their computers checking our site, but we'll show them cards they already know! LOL! That'll teach em'!!!"

WotC lackey: "Yes... yes master... what a delectably evil scheme... I will see to it at once..."

Every year we get cards early we end up with a few that are revealed later on their website again.

I mean they are not going to have the guy write a whole entire other article for another card when he has one for Domri. I also want to point out that Wizards loves to show off the new Planeswalkers asap so no surprise that Domri got the nod early.

Quote from Monopoman
    Every year we get cards early we end up with a few that are revealed later on their website again.

I mean they are not going to have the guy write a whole entire other article for another card when he has one for Domri. I also want to point out that Wizards loves to show off the new Planeswalkers asap so no surprise that Domri got the nod early.

I suppose, but they still could have at least given us one new card tonight. Frown
    I'm not saying it was intentional, as many others who don't visit this site were in fact given a new card. I'll bet they were pleasantly surprised.
    I was just really hoping for the UG guild leader.
    Looking for FOIL Kazandu Blademasters, to buy or trade for. Any language. Please PM me if you have any. Thanks.
    Quote from tachiKC
    I suppose, but they still could have at least given us one new card tonight. Frown
    I'm not saying it was intentional, as many others who don't visit this site were in fact given a new card. I'll bet they were pleasantly surprised.

Me too. I am waiting very impatiently for Zegana.
    Quote from jedimindtricks

Now, if we could just get that goblin walker. Preferably before the part in the storyline where he planeswalked right into Progenitus.

On the Subject of Master Biomancer:
    Quote from Lully
    That mythic is very mythic. Pillarfield ox has returned with a vengeance.

Many thanks to DNC at Heroes of the Plane Studios
    Okay, I admit, I was (unfortunately) wrong about Domri. Can you really blame me, though? I mean, who ever heard of a scrawny Gruul?
    Quote from tachiKC

Skullcrack was new. We just happened to get it early because something went wrong with the article.
    MTG Rules Advisor
    i realy like Aurelia the warleader. I am sure she will see some play in Naya midrange decks... 6 mana is not that expansive in this slow format
    i wonder if borborygmos could work in a frites deck using mulch, and various loot cards. unburial rites him, discard a handful of land for the win. seems possible.
    Everything's better with cheese.
    Quote from Monopoman

(sarcasm)
    Surprise! Surprise!
    (/sarcasm)

I am amazed people were still skeptical over these extremely well designed and believable cards.

If these 5 were fake the guy should go get a job at Wizards making cards.

Did you end the /sarcasm to early or what? Enter the Infinite is stupid, unfun, and a waste of a mythic slot.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes