12/31 DailyMTG Previews: Deathpact Angel, Illusionist's Bracers, lots of small stuff

OMG I love everything about Burning-Tree Emissary. OMG

The cost. The name. The artwork. The beautiful woman. The action of the bystander in the art. The brilliant flavor text responding even to my own previous commentary on the Gruul guild.

Neat card.
    Quote from Senior Gomez
    Can't decide if I'm going Boros or Gruul for the Prerelease still... Definately building Naya though, haha.

Protip: looking at the product page, it seems last week's spoilers will be our prerelease promos.

You'd think so, but it seems to me that they are all creatures (with the p/t bar in the bottom right). But it seems clear that the Orzhov and the Simic are the same, while Dimir looks, like, a Gigapede? No clue for now.
    I'm not sure how I feel about the Angel. It seems like it could be really awful or really good depending on the situation.
    REALLY happy that they didn't just make Bloodrush straight power and toughness boosting. Limited is going to be crazy playing against Gruul. Combat will be very unpredictable, sounds great!
    ~~~Official Homicidal Irish Priest of Robot Jesus~~~

banner by UNKNOWN!

Friends don't let friends netdeck. Go rogue or go home.
    I REALLY hope that they print at least a couple good, decently costed creatures with Bloodrush. I love the mechanic, I love creatures that can double as combat tricks.
    Currently Playing ~ RWG Naya Control GWR

Disclaimer: Unless I state otherwise, I'm referring to standard.
    Quote from KolbaneX
    Dimir's promo has a P/T so it's a new card

Hmmm... So it is, seems like the rest were previewed last week though. new players like their creatures... >_>
    Quote from PhyrexianExile
    I use the Duels Of The Planeswalkers layout, though I'm right-handed and keep my deck and GY to the left. I dare you to ask me how tempting it is to hold flying creatures in a floating pattern over the table.
    Quote from Wustin
    I'm not sure how I feel about the Angel. It seems like it could be really awful or really good depending on the situation.

If you have that late-game extra six mana, when is that extra 5/5 not good?

Sig by the amazing Rivenor
    Avatar by the one and only DOLZero

What you are about to read the absolute truth about the deck that once nearly killed WotC's revenue.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DallasM
    Caw Blade is based on the ancient powerful strategy of equipping Storm Crow with Worldslayer, blowing everything up, punching your opponent in the face, stealing his cards, and running away. This new deck is a mere shell of the original caw blade's power.
    Illusionist's Bracers might be one of the most fun cards I've seen in quite some time.
    DCI Rules Advisor

Currently playing:
    (Temporarily on hiatus from playing, but still a rules advisor.)
    Aluren meet Burning Tree Emissary.

I can see the grapeshots now...
    Current Legacy decks:
    :symu::symr::symw::symb::symg: Dream Halls :symu::symr::symw::symb::symg:
    :symu::symw: U/W/x Landstill (now Miracles) :symu::symw:
    :symu::symu: Merfolk :symu::symu:

Legacy or EDH player in the B-lo area? Want to find a group to turn some cardboard sideways with?
    contact me!
    I want to play with Murder Investigation on grounds that it has awesome flavor alone. Strong casting cost on it with such an 'X' ability as it possesses. I like this in EDH.
    These are some great spoilers! Loving the new angel. What a unique ability.

The 1/1 Evolve guy and the Burning-Tree Storm Enabler are quite awesome as well.
    Current casual decks:
    WUPride of the CloudsWU GWAlliesWG BReanimatorB RBVampiresBR UBControlBU GWBirthing PodWG

Modern Decks:
    RGAggroRG WSoul SistersW WUBPolymorph TokensBUW BUGRRestore BalanceRGUB
    EDH:
    RGWMayael, the AnimaWGR GWURoon of the Hidden RealmUWG

Building next:
    BGWMelira PodWGB
    Just noticed that Experiment One is a human, makes it that much better
    Quote from Wustin

How realistic do you think it is that you'll be able to loop it? I'd probably rather just have Undying.
    Currently Playing ~ RWG Naya Control GWR

Disclaimer: Unless I state otherwise, I'm referring to standard.
    Quote from wingkon
    These are some great spoilers! Loving the new angel. What a unique ability.

The 1/1 Evolve guy and the Burning-Tree Storm Enabler are quite awesome as well.

I agree. These are some of the best, most bountiful mothership spoileries of all Magic time.
    Bracers could be nasty in limited. Now to to use in constructed will be hard.
    UR(U/R)I am a Dimir Agent working with Izzet for my own goalsUB(U/B)

Decks

Future EDH
    BRGAdun OakenshieldG[MANA]R[/MANA]B

When it escaped, the experimenters hesitated. It would cause untold havoc, yet they wished to see it in action.
    I absolutely love burning Tree Emissary, especially how it let's you cast green spells in a mono red deck. Tin Street Market is also a sweet toy for mono red EDH.
    Consider being nice to your fellow gamers.

Nobody cares if you "called it" on a card or mechanic. Seriously. "Humblebrags" are the epitome of lame.
    Quote from Cha Cha
    Aluren meet Burning Tree Emissary.

I can see the grapeshots now...

ohhh dear... Aluren + Cloudstone curio + Burning-Tree Emissary = shenanigans
    ~~~Official Homicidal Irish Priest of Robot Jesus~~~

banner by UNKNOWN!

Friends don't let friends netdeck. Go rogue or go home.
    Looking at Boros Elite and Experiment One only serves to make more more giddy for Battalion and Evolve. I can't wait to see what the rest of this set does for those keywords. They may be among some of my favorite in a long time.
    Is anyone able to make out the promo cards. I can confirm that they are not the holiday preview cards, as they are ALL creatures.
    ATTACHMENTS
    • MTG PROMO
    Standard
    RGPolukranosRG

Commander (EDH)
    WBRKaalia of the VastWBR
    WRGMayael the AnimaWRG
    That flying 3/1 Trampler seems like a nice way to curve out with your one drop evolve (and hopefully two drop evolve guy too). The green one is really good, but the blue one also doesn't seem too shabby.
    Anyone hoping that there are more Experiment <number>? I would like to see just how their experiments got better.
    Am I the only one who thinks that Angel is incredibly mediocre?
    Fighting the Nightman, since 1988.

MTGS egos at their finest.
    Thoughts on proxies:

Quote from Shady Wolf

My focus is on playing, and not how much my opponents and I earn.
    Wow. Not one but two Simic one drops. That Gruul shammy is nuts. Flavor text showing Gideon as a Boros member on that one drop. Even that Orzhov common looks spiffy.

There is buried treasure everywhere...in a graveyard. Golgari
    Quote from Pseudofate
    Shut down the rumor mill. This man has everything under control.
    Lol @ "Human Ooze". I bet they had a field day coming up with odd type combinations for Simic. I love the flavor all around here, especially the city-esque cards.
    Quote from Spaz350
    ohhh dear... Aluren + Cloudstone curio + Burning-Tree Emissary = shenanigans

How is that different from Priest of Urabrask?
    Dimir
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes