Fathom Mage

Quote from DreadnoughtW40K
    Fathom Mage + Pack Rat means no card disadvantage from growing your rat army. Add some countermagic, ramp, Thragtusk, Havengul Lich and this should be funny enough to try at my FNM. The only question would be what to do turns 1 to 4 except for Farseek. Otherwise, any aggro deck will eat this brew alive.

Play Salvage and the like to find your creatures.

trackers Instinct and all the type of cards, along with unburial Rites and such.

Play Rats if you want to, overall the card does its job to draw a bunch of cards, but it does so unrealiable, especially as it will die instantly anyway.

Its not a card for constructed, but its really awesome in EDH, just for the amount of workarounds you can do with it.

Put a copy of it in Mimoplasmn EDH and its ridiculous awesome.
    111111111² = 12345678987654321
    Quote from TheOnlyOne652089
    Play Salvage and the like to find your creatures.

trackers Instinct and all the type of cards, along with unburial Rites and such.

Play Rats if you want to, overall the card does its job to draw a bunch of cards, but it does so unrealiable, especially as it will die instantly anyway.

Its not a card for constructed, but its really awesome in EDH, just for the amount of workarounds you can do with it.

Put a copy of it in Mimoplasmn EDH and its ridiculous awesome.

Well, with the chance to get a creature with Salvage/Instincts and play what we dump into graveyard with Lich (or Rites if we splash white), and the already quite solid creature base, we can expect Gatecrash to bring some UB removal, boardwipes or whatever, so a BUG midrange becomes really viable. Add Snapcasters if the spell count is high enough.
    Now this is an idea to develop!

Pack Rat hasn't seen Constructed play and maybe it never will, but I believe the combo could appeal to casual players.
    Quote from Alrin Kharr
    So, if a single spell/ability places multiple counters on her, would you draw a card for each individual counter? I'm inclined to say yes, but I can't recall any other abilities that trigger on placing +1/+1 counters to use as a precedent.

Yes. If you use Increasing Savagery or use The Mimeoplasm you will draw a card for each +1/+1 counter because:

Quote from Comp. Rules »
    603.2c An ability triggers only once each time its trigger event occurs. However, it can trigger repeatedly if one event contains multiple occurrences. See also rule 509.4.
    Example: A permanent has an ability whose trigger condition reads, "Whenever a land is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, . . . ." If someone casts a spell that destroys all lands, the ability will trigger once for each land put into the graveyard during the spell's resolution.
    Is it just me or all cards in GTC is costing 1 more ?
    Standard -
    :symr::symwr::symw: Boros Control :symr::symwr::symw:

:symub::symb::symb: Devotion to Black (Blue Splash) :symub::symb::symb:
    1 more than what?
    Level 2 Judge Smile

Currently playing:

Standard: green mana blue mana black mana Controlol; red mana green mana white mana Elephants

Modern: blue mana white mana red mana Midrange ("Sometimes you just wanna @#$% punch someone in the face.")

Commander: blue mana red mana green mana Riku ("Some weird doubple spell thing happened")

Pauper: green mana blue mana black mana Dredge; blue mana black mana Control; blue mana Delvurrrr

My MTG blog
    Would have preferred "Take away one +1/+1 counter. Draw a card," but that's probably too overpowered.
    There's a real power difference between Rare and Mythic Rare. That's often 1. But of course they don't make identical cards at both rarities to prove this, you have to ask a developer to know these things.
    Ring of Evos Isle
    Ring of Kalonia

love you most
    Quote from AnIdiot
    Yes. If you use Increasing Savagery or use The Mimeoplasm you will draw a card for each +1/+1 counter because:

In The Mimeoplasm doesn't work because he enter the battlefield with the +1/+1 counters so the ability doesn't trigger... Sorry, I also love it, I'm a Mr. Mime fan...
    Really BIG fan of oozes, slimes and everything nice. XD
    Quote from Bazão
    In The Mimeoplasm doesn't work because he enter the battlefield with the +1/+1 counters so the ability doesn't trigger... Sorry, I also love it, I'm a Mr. Mime fan...

It does trigger because it's only when the card resolves do the counters get placed, which allows for the mage to trigger too.

AzoriusAnd when things start to happen,Azorius
    don't worry. Don't stew.
    Just go right along.
    You'll start happening too.

OH!
    THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!
    Quote from Bazão

I disagree.

Quote from Comp. Rules »

121.6. If a spell or ability refers to a counter being "placed" on a permanent, it means putting a counter on that permanent while it's on the battlefield, or that permanent entering the battlefield with a counter on it as the result of an effect

This is also the reason Planeswalkers enter the battle field with double their loyalty counter if Doubling Season is out.

As a fellow Mime fan and player. DO IT.

Set up the most Johnny of set ups. Stall turns and ramp until you have Corpsejack Menace and Doubling Season out then use Copy Enchantment or Clone and exile Death's Shadow and draw one hundred and four cards!

What? Drawing an empty library losses the game? WRONG. Use Laboratory Maniac to instantly win the multiplayer game.
    Grin
    Quote from Bazão

Yea it DOES work, and thats great.

The magic word is "placed" and the counters on stuff are placed on them the time they enter the field.

Its not a trigger to "place" them on the cards, but they are "placed" non the less.

Quote from AnIdiot
    I disagree.

This is also the reason Planeswalkers enter the battle field with double their loyalty counter if Doubling Season is out.

As a fellow Mime fan and player. DO IT.

Set up the most Johnny of set ups. Stall turns and ramp until you have Corpsejack Menace and Doubling Season out then use Copy Enchantment or Clone and exile Death's Shadow and draw one hundred and four cards!

What? Drawing an empty library losses the game? WRONG. Use Laboratory Maniac to instantly win the multiplayer game.
    Grin

Its soo soooooo great in Mimeoplasmn.

Incredible amount of stuff to work with, just add all the +1/+1 counter fun you have and you allready get a ridiculous funny deck.

OFCOURSE with doubling season, and ofcourse with Planeswalkers in the color and OFCOURSE with Proliferate and all that stuff.

Its just fun and the card totally hits the nail.

*Overall seems that the cards so far are really really focused on EDH, i mean all of them do a great job in EDH, much less in "real" constructed formats.
    Last edited by TheOnlyOne652089: 12/27/2012 1:47:16 PM
    111111111² = 12345678987654321
    yet another reason thragtusk may get better. turn 4 fathom (or turn 3 dependin on mana ramp), then turn 5 tusk (or turn 4 with mana ramp). gain5, draw 1, fathom get +1+1. the tusk dies or gets blinked, rinse n repeat

GU Experiment Kraj- all your abilities belong to us
    WB Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts- battlecruiser
    GUB The Mimeoplasm- when graveyards are not safe
    RGW Mayael the Anima- i luv the fatties
    "Dies to any removal" doesn't apply as much here imo, as the card is designed to grow.

They tragic slip it? Oh you flash in a Snapcaster mage.

Or you get rewarded if you save it with any mechanic that involves +1/1 counters.

Or, if you are fitting slitherhead into your deck for some reason(to cast, or just to mill), it can be close to entering the battlefield as a 2/2, and drawing you a card.
    Quote from simulacrum
    yet another reason thragtusk may get better. turn 4 fathom (or turn 3 dependin on mana ramp), then turn 5 tusk (or turn 4 with mana ramp). gain5, draw 1, fathom get +1+1. the tusk dies or gets blinked, rinse n repeat

Hadn't thought about that, but (Magical Christmastime here) Intangible Virtue into Fathom into Thragtusk into Resto Angel makes your Fathom Mage a 5/5 (with 4 card draws!). Makes me kinda want it in my Bant Tokens deck...
    Quote from Levgre
    "Dies to any removal" doesn't apply as much here imo, as the card is designed to grow.

They tragic slip it? Oh you flash in a Snapcaster mage.

Or you get rewarded if you save it with any mechanic that involves +1/1 counters.

Or, if you are fitting slitherhead into your deck for some reason(to cast, or just to mill), it can be close to entering the battlefield as a 2/2, and drawing you a card.

I dont know man. At 4cmc you better be playing this at turn 6 if you want those ideas to work. If i had a slip and you droped this on turn 4 or 5 I can promise you it would be DOA. Slip costing 1 and being instant really hurts this pretty little lady.

There is buried treasure everywhere...in a graveyard. Golgari
    Quote from Pseudofate
    Shut down the rumor mill. This man has everything under control.
    Quote from WoodWraith
    I dont know man. At 4cmc you better be playing this at turn 6 if you want those ideas to work. If i had a slip and you droped this on turn 4 or 5 I can promise you it would be DOA. Slip costing 1 and being instant really hurts this pretty little lady.

How many decks are even playing slip right now? Answer is, 0. But still, being able to easily survive on turn 6(or 5 if you are ramping) makes it a lot more viable than if it did not have built in mechanisms for growth.

Furthermore, on early turns like 4 you are more often either playing sweepers to defend yourself from aggro, or still setting up your board. Obviously this does neither, meaning the more "natural" play for it could be around when you have 6 mana. Or, if you are against a deck you know doesnt have instant speed removal, you can decide to play it safely on turn 4.
    How many decks are even playing slip right now? Answer is, 0. But still, being able to easily survive on turn 6(or 5 if you are ramping) makes it a lot more viable than if it did not have built in mechanisms for growth.

If Falkenrath Aristocrat is big, Slip is the best answer to it.
    Quote from Scarap
    If Falkenrath Aristocrat is big, Slip is the best answer to it.

Aristocrat is already big. There are just so many other threats, many of them not phased at all by targeted removal. I guess you could say Aristocrat might become even bigger, but I see no evidence of that.
    I don't know about Standard, but this card is going to be insane for EDH, particularly my Mimeoplasm deck. Fantastic card for Mimeo to copy since he'll get the draws off the CIP with counters effect (I'm pretty sure anyway), and great card to just have on the battlefield too.
    What about a deck involving Evolve and 4x Tree of Redemption? *Evil Grin*
    With Evolve:
    Tree of Redeptions+Deadeye Navigator=Profit

OR

Thragtusk+Deadeye Navigator=Super Profit

This aint your girlfriends meta! This is a man's meta! TURBO META.
    Not sure if this has been posted anywhere. Artist Dan Scott just posted the alternate art Fathom Mage that I presume will be the guild pack card.

Woah. That is easily as beautiful as the original art. Well then, I'll just have to go Simic at the prerelease, and then buy the Simic intro deck. Then, I will have both of them Grin
    Someday, I will own all of the dragons. All of them.
    43/111, approximately 39% complete. Over a third done.

(calling it now; there will be a cycle of Legendary dual lands with Basic Land types in Theros block)
    ... AAAAAAAAND I was wrong

U/R mana G/U mana The Attention Deficit Guy URGU
    I want to pair this with forgotten ancient in multiplayer for a nice card-drawing engine, but I'm not entirely what to do with them beyond that...
    ~~~Official Homicidal Irish Priest of Robot Jesus~~~

banner by UNKNOWN!

Friends don't let friends netdeck. Go rogue or go home.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes