Fathom Mage

Mothership preview.

Fathom Mage 2GU
    Creature - Human Wizard (R)
    Evolve
    Whenever a +1/+1 counter is placed on Fathom Mage, you may draw a card.
    1/1
    162?/249
    ATTACHMENTS
    • Untitled
    Not insane, but definitely cool that they're willing to make exciting evolve triggers. This is the kind of thing scavenge wanted.
    That is surprisingly solid. A 4 mana 1/1 that gets bigger as it draws into things that make it bigger. Maybe not constructed material (way to small to start), but a beast for draft and sealed.
    "If you don't wear your seatbelt, the police will shoot you in the head."
    - To my youngest sister when she was 6.

Everyone knows that good luck and good game are such insincere terms that any man who does not connect his right hook with the offender's jaw on the very utterance of such a phrase is no man I would consider as such.

Quote from Ninja Caterpie

Last time it went large-small-large, it went "happy adventure land", "mana filled happy adventure land", "DEAD MANA ELDRAZI OVERRUN SAD DEFENSE LAND."
    I just want to say one thing before I say anything else about the card - I have a feeling the Simic guild is going to have the best art of all ten of the guilds. The art on this card is absolutely beautiful.

With that said, I agree, if this is how they're doing evolve, then it seems reasonable that Bant decks might have use for the mechanic. But I'm not sure they can use this card (though it's not a particularly bad card).

Quote from Tanion
    Where the hell did u find that? I looked at the website and I see a lot of rehashed articles. WoTC... you damn trolls!

Click on that little present next to the Maro picture. Yes, this is real.
    DCI Rules Advisor

Currently playing:
    (Temporarily on hiatus from playing, but still a rules advisor.)
    If this is real...? Dear god, I hope it's not. While not pack rat power level, it would quickly get out of hand. Turn 5 attack with your weenie and let it die, play this, play Hunger of the Howlpack, draw three cards and have a 4/4 with evolve and its ability? Interesting

Sweet sig by DarkNightCavalier
    Oh god imagine this card in that Human Reanimator deck lol.
    Quote from Tanion
    Where the hell did u find that? I looked at the website and I see a lot of rehashed articles. WoTC... you damn trolls!

You have to click the gift box on the main page...I missed it at first too.

As for the card, I like it. Not a super powerful card but cool and interesting. Can't wait to see more of this set now.
    CURSE YOU HATTEROFMAD!!! :p

|One Red Mountain - A adventure in MTG Trading|
    I like it an an Edric CMDR deck. Cast Beacon of Creation, draw a bunch of cards.

Still really good. I'm happy with it.

EDIT: Er, state based effects and everything.
    EDIT 2: Make it a Bant deck with Juniper Order Ranger and so on and so forth.
    Last edited by MtGColorPie: 12/23/2012 11:35:26 PM

GatheringMagic.com Commander Writer
    Twitter: @mtgcolorpie
    One of the GDS2 Final 101

Recently Written Posts:
    1-31 MTGCP The Complete Commander - Designing Commander
    12-18 MTGCP The Day Kibler Shut Down the World
    Interesting... starts small, but I won't be shocked if it sees use. Standard is grindy and I know a deck that would love more card draw. If evolve gets any more insane, I might go Simic at the Pre-Release. Very cool card.

Quote from Nobody Likes Nicol Bolas »

At least one new Thing every day this week.

Awesome... thought it was just today. Merry Christmas Wizards(:
    Last edited by fatsnorlax: 12/23/2012 11:15:14 PM
    Avatar by Disappointing Signet Inc

[SPOILER=Standard]
    RB Devotion to Mogis

UWB Oloro, Ageless Ascetic
    RUG Animar, Soul of the Elements
    Why human?

Damn it, I know it's selfish but I wanted all of Simic to be U/G Merfolk EDH love.
    This may make me love Simic. I like evolve so far!
    :orzhov:Official Cosplayer of [The Crafters]. :3:orzhov:

WRG The Queen's Royal Guard GRW (UC, Modern)
    WU Bruna's Enchanting Masquerade UW (UC, EDH)
    UR Nin's Circus of ValueUR (UC, EDH)
    GG Jolrael's Land Aid GG (EDH)
    BX Fruit Smoothie XB (UC, Legacy)
    RR Worldfire Helix RR (UC, Modern)

Those who hear her go mad with inspiration. - Beseech the Queen

Quote from Wustin
    Oh god imagine this card in that Human Reanimator deck lol.

So true...This is gonna be fun. Bant humans. Oh man. I may as well get to work right now.

Sig by the amazing Rivenor
    Avatar by the one and only DOLZero

What you are about to read the absolute truth about the deck that once nearly killed WotC's revenue.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DallasM
    Caw Blade is based on the ancient powerful strategy of equipping Storm Crow with Worldslayer, blowing everything up, punching your opponent in the face, stealing his cards, and running away. This new deck is a mere shell of the original caw blade's power.
    Evolution is more than just strength. The mind evolves too. The flavor of this card is top notch. powerful too. Needed to be a 4 drop so it couldn't come out on turn 3.
    Baneslayer Angel- Pro Demons and Dragons

Malfegor- Demon Dragon: only creature in the history of magic that is both of Baneslayer's protections. Can kill Baneslayer.

Win
    Increasing savagery = lol

Big thanks to Rivenor for the sig!!
    Evolve seems like it would be the sickest limited keyword. bonus on all my guys for getting bigger? sure ok.

I wanna flash back Increasing Savagery on her.. Draw 10 anyone? Grin
    Currently Playing:
    Modern: Tempus Fugit (Time Warp Control) [In construction]
    Legacy: Rb Burn [In construction]

The whole experience of watching a chubby Korean guy bounce around singing in some language that no one understood, coupled with exploding boats, dudes in blue sequenced tuxes, and dudes air humping in ten gallon hats was too much for some to take in on the first watch.

Follow me on Tumblr for MTG opinion and commentary, deck techs, and a few other suprises
    http://holdpriority.tumblr.com/
    Oh my lawd. 1/1? 4 drop? Evolve? Draw cards? Shenanigans commenceith!

There is buried treasure everywhere...in a graveyard. Golgari
    Quote from Pseudofate
    Shut down the rumor mill. This man has everything under control.
    I find this card to have some nice potential, but that 1/1 body is really weak. I fear it will end up being just four mana someone casts before their opponent kills it with... well anything (crippling blight comes to mind). It definitely works well with the flux mage we already have as it will just be a nice easy way of getting another card. Plus, now we have a target for Bond Beetle's +1/+1 counter. 1 Green mana for a 0/1 chumpblocker and a card, I can think of worse things.

Overall, I see this being valuable in a limited environment, but probably not constructed playable. Maybe if it were a merfolk so that it could benefit off of a Master of the Pearl Trident.
    I've never seen a trigger like this, so if someone could confirm:

-As I see it, you do *not* draw a card for each +1/1 counter, just each *time* a +1/1 counter is placed. This would lower the scavenge synergy.

Quote from MtGColorPie
    I like it an an Edric CMDR deck. Cast Beacon of Creation, draw a bunch of cards.

Still really good. I'm happy with it.

Unless your insects are buffed somehow, that's a bombo. None of them have greater power or toughness than Fathom Mage.
    SWEET.
    I was thinking the art might be a reprint of Sigil Tracer,
    but this is pretty sweet, if not a bit costly.

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW

Wow... That's pretty slick.

Turn 1, Breeding Pool into Avacyn Pilgrim
    Turn 2, Temple Garden into Farseek for a Breeding Pool
    Turn 3, Forest into Fathom Mage
    Turn 4, Increasing Savagery to draw 5 cards to replenish your hand.

Not that slow. You'd be getting a 5/5 on turn 4. Which, dare I say it, is better then a turn 4 Thragtusk. Just on card advantage alone.
    I feel my Johnny coming out. I'll be tempted to work out a Bant midrange grow deck with Fathom Mage and Ring of Evos Isle for the hexproof and extra draw on upkeep. May even throw in Ring of Kalonia.
    Thanks to XenoNinja @ Heroes of the Plane Studios for the awesome banner!

This card... looks fabulous. Makes me want to do something with a GU deck in EDH
    Avid EDH player
    GWUPhelddagrif----------------GWRhys, the Redeemed----------UBRLord of Tresserhorn--------XKozilek, Butcher of Truth
    WUBRGProgenitus---------------BGWKarador, Ghost Chieftain---URGIntet, the Dreamer---------RGWort, the Raidmother
    BGSavra-----------------------RGMarhault Elsdragon----------UTeferi, Mage of Zhalfir------UWHanna, Ship's Navigator
    BSkithiryx the Blight Dragon--RWUZedruu the Greathearted----BRelentless Rats------------BRUNicol Bolas

Wow. She's gorgeous! In more ways than one. I'm looking forward to the Simic guild evolving all over the other guilds of Rav-neeka!
    This could be cool in BUG with Dreg Mangler, but I think the real key to success with this card is Angel of Glory's Rise. Now getting a Glory's Rise into play not only gets you a huge army, but it also draws you a new hand. Seems good.
    A Think Twice in hand is worth two in the grave.

You can find me on MTGO. My username is gereffi.
    Quote from Sheth
    I've never seen a trigger like this, so if someone could confirm:

-As I see it, you do *not* draw a card for each +1/1 counter, just each *time* a +1/1 counter is placed.

That's how I read it- it doesn't say "for each counter" or anything like that.

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes