1/1 Previews From DailyMTG (Obzedat, Ghost Council & Lazav, Dimir Mastermind)

The real star of the 3 is the key rune... the best one of them all so far.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not." - John Lennon
    Quote from Passthechips
    Old Ghost Council worked much better in an Orzhov deck triggering Haunt effects as well as evoking the whole "abuse of debtor's worthless souls as a way to survive" and also had the taxing effect. This Ghost Council has no point and while some say its first effect is the extort effect, I would much rather preferred if this card could have been cast from exile or the graveyard.

I wasn't even talking about it from an EDH standpoint, but this Ghost Council would also be a horrible general. It just doesn't do anything but beat. The old Ghost Council was a resilient repeatable sac outlet (which is extremely useful), who survived your own board wipes, and could close out a game with general damage. Teysa was a completely different deck type, usually token based.

Its kind of like Phyrexian Obliterator.

They just upgraded the card in nearly every way, "hoping" it will be a damn sure constructed powerhouse.

If you have to make your card more powerfull (5/5 rather than 4/4) as a means of a drawback (that the charm can hit it) its allready a crazy sign.

The card is super annoying, and being legendary might mean an easy answer to it, is playing your own, kinda like Jace (and the funny thing, they might never die by the legend rule, if they keep blinking out each other, until someone chooses to).
    111111111² = 12345678987654321
    Quote from Victor Sant
    Thinking this way, no creature with 4CMC+ is really worth. Thundermaw Hellkite? Unsumon it before it attacks. Falkenrath Aristocrat? Unsumon it before it attacks. Any other non-hexproof creature? Unsumon it and it isn't competitive playable?
    We know things aren't like this. The fact is that 5 manas for a 4 life swing and an opponent card isn't THAT bad deal. Specially if this card will allow you to give another 4 life swing (or 6 life swing with extort)

Cavern of Souls naming Spirit. Something very useful to fix the restrictive cost of the council.

I agree with all of this. There are plenty of cards that are weak to being bounced, and yet they're played all the time in Standard. Restoration Angel, Snapcaster Mage, and Thragtusk are the only ones that really don't fear being sprung.

I think the Ghost Council has a shot in the right deck. If your opponent is on the down, which they should be of you're playing control, The Council makes a great finisher to cast when your opponents are tapped out. There is not much they can do in their defense, especially since you will have other cards to help finish them off.

I am trying to think of cards that could maximize the Council's ability to exile itself. I am thinking some type of Instant-Speed Board Wipe; kill everything on your opponent's turn, and then the Council returns to haunt the opponent again. Unfortunately I can't think of anything.
    Last edited by Creedmoor: 1/1/2013 6:18:43 PM
    SHANDALAR
    A Custom Core Set
    ---NAZURA---
    A Custom African-Themed Set
    ~THE RAVNICAN CONSORTIUM~
    A Community Set
    Commander: Allies & Adversaries
    Announcing VANGUARD
    A Custom Set

Quote from Drax
    A MAN CAN DREAM AND GET HIS SIMPLE MATHEMATICS WRONG.

Quote from jonnybgood23
    Pillarfield Ox? The legend returns.

Quote from TheWarden
    You had me at "Camel Shaman."

Quote from azn_cbc_1992
    That could be contested since ghost council is high unkillable unless you are either out of creatures, or they split second kill it

Teysa is superior and they both call for the same type of deck, plentiful token abuse. The OG ghost council is unkillable, but it's ability is pretty uninteresting in a multiplayer format where everyone starts with 40 life. Keeping it alive is nice, but it's a 4/4 that doesn't really do anything else that Teysa does better. I prefer Teysa's exile clause.

They both belong in any EDH BW tokens deck though, and the new ghost council certainly is a nice finisher too. I'll still find a slot for it in my BW EDH deck, but it's not replacing Teysa as my general.
    Quote from Master Moja

I am trying to think of cards that could maximize the Council's ability to exile itself. I am thinking some type of Instant-Speed Board Wipe; kill everything on your opponent's turn, and then the Council returns to haunt the opponent again. Unfortunately I can't think of anything.
    Too bad Alchemist's Refuge needs G, it would fit an esper otherwise
    Quote from Master Moja
    I agree with all of this. There are plenty of cards that are weak to being bounced, and yet they're played all the time in Standard. Restoration Angel, Snapcaster Mage, and Thragtusk are the only ones that really don't fear being sprung.

I think the Ghost Council has a shot in the right deck. If your opponent is on the down, which they should be of you're playing control, The Council makes a great finisher to cast when your opponents are tapped out. There is not much they can do in their defense, especially since you will have other cards to help finish them off.

Magmaquake is about as close as you are going to get.
    Quote from Aegraen

Neither of which is really splashable.

=(
    "His laugh, a bellowing, deathly din, slices through the heavens, making them bleed."
    —The Seer's Parables
    Quote from Aegraen

Not necessarily. You can use Think Twice and miracle a Terminus on your opponent's turn. No guarantee to work but at least it works with Esper.
    Nice cards..

No spoilers for today (January 2)?
    Quote from Master Moja

Really this is my problem with this Ghost Council... You don't do anything with it, you can't build around it. Decks will run it because it is a good card in it's colors and you run good cards in your colors. It is dumb fat.
    I freaking love Shost Council 2.0 and Lazav is freaking cool. I might be playing blue black this time around lol.

Also did anyone else notice that Obzedat's bounce ability is a may affect, thus he could be used as a blocker and combined with Drogskol Captain and Cavern of Souls...he could just stick around indefinatly unless board swips happen.
    Wield your heart, and the world will tremble!!!-Doran, the Siege Tower
    BWG

Quote from Lormador

The effect could prove so discombobulating to combo players, in particularly, they may fizzle and run away screaming. "From that day the Curse of the Plateau was upon me, and I found every hand I ever pull from a combo deck is a mulligan."

Member of Anti-Blue Alliance (Just Say "Yes" to Spells!) Members: 8 known, add to your sig to join!
    Quote from Kevin Nash
    Teysa is superior and they both call for the same type of deck, plentiful token abuse. The OG ghost council is unkillable, but it's ability is pretty uninteresting in a multiplayer format where everyone starts with 40 life. Keeping it alive is nice, but it's a 4/4 that doesn't really do anything else that Teysa does better. I prefer Teysa's exile clause.

They both belong in any EDH BW tokens deck though, and the new ghost council certainly is a nice finisher too. I'll still find a slot for it in my BW EDH deck, but it's not replacing Teysa as my general.

Passthechips is right, though, a repeatable and reliable sac outlet is very useful in EDH. This guy strikes me as cool for Standard, but kinda boring for EDH. He doesn't make a good Voltron general since all your voltron stuff falls off every turn, and the life loss doesn't count as general damage. He is actually quite a bit worse than Ghost Council 1.0 in EDH.

Also, Ghost Council 1.0 was amazing in Standard, which was before damage was taken off the stack. He was a nightmare to block or attack into. Just a much more fun design too, because you could control the blink effect while trying to derive value from the saccing.

I still like the new Ghost Council but the old one is more fun and useful in EDH, and was more fun and powerful in the Standard of its time, than the new one will be (probably- just a prediction).
    Quote from michaelangelo
    How does haste make its way into BW?

Stuff like Goryo's Vengeance and other hasty reanimation.
    Look what I got on my way home? Surprised? So was I.
    Quote from Bazão
    You may be right, but I can hardly imagine Obzedat be in competitive decks, because you lose a turn to cast it, when it hits the field I can use Cyclonic Rift or even unsummon to put it in your hand. End result: I lose 4 live and you gain 4, but you lose 2 turns and I don't... (and snap is always an option in this case)

Lazav maybe will not be played must, but is a good card to SB not doubt about it, can destabilize a game very quickly. But the first problem that people have with it is that it makes them think, and they don't like it, but guess what, that is true control. You have to evaluate the situations of the game and choose the best one for you...And that Hexproof, oh god that hexproof...

snap is not a standard legal card, and bouncing a guy who has a drain cit is hugely underwhelming, as you need to do something with the time you have bought, being down a card is not a light cost, and the obzedat is way better in this respect then the much played hellkite
    Quote from annedebeurs
    snap is not a standard legal card, and bouncing a guy who has a drain cit is hugely underwhelming, as you need to do something with the time you have bought, being down a card is not a light cost, and the obzedat is way better in this respect then the much played hellkite

He pretty obviously meant Snapcaster Mage.

And I disagree with him, as Extort will make most unsummon effects pretty bad against Orzhov decks... they'll just recast the spell and drain you for more life.

I really like Lazav. Havengul Lich, Lazav, Nightveil Specter, Consuming Abberration... Forcing the opponent to play against their own deck must have been the dream of someone in R&D (I think Chromatic Lantern even mentions the Dimir in the flavor text).

Does a Rites player even have a way to deal with a hexproof Griselbrand that isn't named Griselbrand (so the legend rule doesn't work)?
    "The trick to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." -Albert Einstein
    Quote from michaelangelo
    How does haste make its way into BW?

How knows? Because haste never showed up on black or white creatures ever...
    Quote from dr_death28314
    He pretty obviously meant Snapcaster Mage.

And I disagree with him, as Extort will make most unsummon effects pretty bad against Orzhov decks... they'll just recast the spell and drain you for more life.

I really like Lazav. Havengul Lich, Lazav, Nightveil Specter, Consuming Abberration... Forcing the opponent to play against their own deck must have been the dream of someone in R&D (I think Chromatic Lantern even mentions the Dimir in the flavor text).

Does a Rites player even have a way to deal with a hexproof Griselbrand that isn't named Griselbrand (so the legend rule doesn't work)?

ah ofc how could i have missed that:P
    Quote from Passthechips
    Really this is my problem with this Ghost Council... You don't do anything with it, you can't build around it. Decks will run it because it is a good card in it's colors and you run good cards in your colors. It is dumb fat.

You sir are ignorant of deck building principles. Saying you cant build around him is more then evidence of that. Anyone with any shread of W/B control building knowledge can see this card is a gold mine and sets life drain decks into over drive.

You shouldnt make such statements if you are bad at building W/B decks, it makes you sound silly.

There is buried treasure everywhere...in a graveyard. Golgari
    Quote from Pseudofate
    Shut down the rumor mill. This man has everything under control.
    Quote from dr_death28314

I really like Lazav. Havengul Lich, Lazav, Nightveil Specter, Consuming Abberration... Forcing the opponent to play against their own deck must have been the dream of someone in R&D

That's always my #1 MO when playing UB,
    so I'm quite ecstatic to see so many Dimir cards supporting that theme.

Now, if only the (other) Dimir Mythic is Praetor's Grasp with Cipher...

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    Quote from empathogen
    That's always my #1 MO when playing UB,
    so I'm quite ecstatic to see so many Dimir cards supporting that theme.

Now, if only the (other) Dimir Mythic is Praetor's Grasp with Cipher...

Now you settle down there mister, thats just friggin hax!

Quote from Pseudofate
    Quote from WoodWraith
    Now you settle down there mister, thats just friggin hax!

Come on, you know you want me to steal your best spell every round with that new Fish Krasis thing
    (and whatever was laying around on top with Nightveil Specter)! Wink

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    Quote from empathogen
    Come on, you know you want me to steal your best spell every round with that new Fish Krasis thing
    (and whatever was laying around on top with Nightveil Specter)! Wink

I will pacify that sucker and tax you into poverty!

Quote from Pseudofate
    I want a few copies of Darth Sidious... oops, I mean, Lazav, just because of DAT ART.

Lazav: "Come to the Dark Side... we have cookies. And countermagic."

Grin
    The card nearly every spoiled Magic player dreams of:

Jace's Trolling --- 0 mana

Instant

Split Second
    Exile target spell, then return Jace's Trolling to its owner's hand.

"Yeah, sure... when pigs fly."
    -Mark Rosewater about printing this card
    Jeez, there's a lot more to Lazav than I was ever hoping for. After some careful consideration I doubt he will be standard playable, but that doesn't mean I won't play him anyway.

Signature by | Scion of Zendikar
    I only know that Lazav is going to be the new EDH deck to beat in one vs one...
    Really BIG fan of oozes, slimes and everything nice. XD
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes