Foundry Champion

Quote from Christiancasals
    I feel like gatecrash will be useless outside of limited

That's just crazy talk. We haven't seen the charms or other four keyrunes yet, not to mention the hybrid one drop cycle. Be patient.
    WoTC, thank you for finally announcing the Modern format, an eternal format where everyone can participate.
    Quote from Ember_Twilight
    That's just crazy talk. We haven't seen the charms or other four keyrunes yet, not to mention the hybrid one drop cycle. Be patient.

The Dimir keyrune looks good so far, I can already imagine having Runechanter Pike on it as a finisher.
    Quote from izzetmage
    If the store owner says that I can't trade in the premises, I'll just go outside. If he says that I can't trade within 10m of his premises, I'll go to 11 meters. If he says that he doesn't want to see me trading, I will put a basket over his head and continue trading.

Quote from Stinky-Dinkins

Yes, he's a local legend. He's only known to take his clothes off before he goes into the Ladies' Lockerroom. Nobody knows what he does in there because he's invisible, but it's almost certainly tons of masturbating.
    This isn't a 'hipster vibe'.
    We're talking about a weak six drop in a color combination that doesn't ramp up to six. Why would anyone play this card when there are objectively better cards already in standard? It's a 4/4 for 6 mana that only has a decent ETB ability if you're playing a creature heavy deck - and if you're playing a creature heavy deck then there are much more powerful things you could be doing with Silverblade and Sublime Archangel, or Hellrider. If you want to stretch the curve up to five then you've got Thundermaw Hellkite.

This card is bad. Firemane is okay but I think Sublime is better. Aurelia is okay but I think you'd still be better off with Thundermaw.
    And now you've got three big creatures spoiled in red/white. How many do you think there are going to be? I'm thinking not too many more. That makes me think that red/white isn't going to get a good curve-topping creature. Maybe there'll be a mono-white or a mono-red. There will probably be some good 2,3 and 4 drops. Maybe some good spells too, but I am getting very skeptical about seeing anything like what I was hoping to see.

This is even crappier than Gisela. Would be a nice creature if it weren't off the curve. At five it would be decent. Six is ridiculous.

Just realized it's not even a human.
    Last edited by Illinest: 1/1/2013 8:18:58 PM
    It would be slightly better and more suitable as a Gruul creature. In Boros color it is just not good at all.
    Quote from izzetmage
    If the store owner says that I can't trade in the premises, I'll just go outside. If he says that I can't trade within 10m of his premises, I'll go to 11 meters. If he says that he doesn't want to see me trading, I will put a basket over his head and continue trading.

Yes, he's a local legend. He's only known to take his clothes off before he goes into the Ladies' Lockerroom. Nobody knows what he does in there because he's invisible, but it's almost certainly tons of masturbating.
    Quote from Illinest
    This isn't a 'hipster vibe'.

That's exactly what it is. Everyone's rushing to be the first to declare it awful, and unplayable, so that if and when it turns out to be exactly that (and who knows...it MAY just end up being worse then Wood Elemental) they can claim to have "known it was bad since it was previewed."

So what?!? Does trashing on an unreleased card benefit anyone in any way?

Honestly, I just think it's foolish and premature to rage about anything in this set yet. I'd say the SOONEST it makes sense to start complaining is once we've got all 249 spoilers. Honestly, we don't know what's in the rest of this set. We don't know what's in Dragon's Maze...we don't know what's in the Friend's block. This could end up being an amazing sleeper hit once an enabler hits.

Or it could be utter crap outside of Limited. But, is it really so critical that we decide RIGHT NOW which cards are awful and anyone daring to play them should have their head examined?
    It probably wouldn't see much Constructed play even if it was costed at 2RW.

Compare with Skinrender.

It's funny how far they push some fatties and how weak they make others.
    But this doesn't deny the fact the card is simply not good enough. It's been trashed because its crap in the first place.
    Quote from izzetmage

But this doesn't deny the fact the card is simply not good enough. It's been trashed because its crap in the first place.

If it was "crap" you wouldn't be playing it in limited either.
    Quote from jedimindtricks

Now, if we could just get that goblin walker. Preferably before the part in the storyline where he planeswalked right into Progenitus.

On the Subject of Master Biomancer:
    Quote from Lully
    That mythic is very mythic. Pillarfield ox has returned with a vengeance.

Many thanks to DNC at Heroes of the Plane Studios
    The card isn't crap in a limited environment, because that's what it was clearly designed for.

If you're upset it's not a powerhouse in W/R, I think you should probably chill, because there's plenty more set to be revealed, and the cards intended for constructed play will be revealed eventually.

Remember RTR promos? G/W had like a land that makes a generic 8/8, G/B had a silly 4/4, U/W a super overcosted flyer ... all pretty terrible for constructed but still really fun for limited.

Those guilds each also got pretty baller stuff like Armada Wurm, Deathrite Shaman and Supreme Verdict. All of these are obviously powerful, despite their varying presence throughout standard. Regardless of how it fits into the metagame, you can expect even Boros will get something fun.

At any rate, I think this is a great limited card, in fact since I've seen it I've been considering picking boros at a prerelease sealed.
    It's a card that is overcosted, underpowered, and requires other cards in order to do anything. If you have no creatures out, and the only creature you can put on the battlefield is Foundry Champion, guess what you just did? Gut Shot someone at sorcery speed for 6 mana. Congratulations.

At least I'll get another bad rare for my Reject Rare draft box.
    Quote from Dane
    That's exactly what it is. Everyone's rushing to be the first to declare it awful, and unplayable, so that if and when it turns out to be exactly that (and who knows...it MAY just end up being worse then Wood Elemental) they can claim to have "known it was bad since it was previewed."

So what?!? Does trashing on an unreleased card benefit anyone in any way?

Honestly, I just think it's foolish and premature to rage about anything in this set yet. I'd say the SOONEST it makes sense to start complaining is once we've got all 249 spoilers. Honestly, we don't know what's in the rest of this set. We don't know what's in Dragon's Maze...we don't know what's in the Friend's block. This could end up being an amazing sleeper hit once an enabler hits.

Or it could be utter crap outside of Limited. But, is it really so critical that we decide RIGHT NOW which cards are awful and anyone daring to play them should have their head examined?

You are completely missing the point. How many big Boros creatures do you think there are going to be in Gatecrash? Every time they spoil a creature like this my chance of getting a true bomb gets smaller.

And maybe I'm a little bit Timmy at heart but I don't want to win with a horde of 2 and 3 drops. What I want more than anything is a 5 mana creature in R/W that wins games. Give me a R/W version of Baneslayer Angel please. I will pair her with Thundermaw and laugh maniacally.

If I get that then I'll be back here to apologize. Then you can play Foundry Champion to your hearts' content and I'll play my bomb Angel and we'll all be happy.
    This is a very solid limited card, highly doubt it'll see a lot of constructed play though, if any. It's definitely not something I would want to pull multiples of in a box, but that's just the luck of the draw.
    “My abusive words are filled with forty grams of copper, twenty five grams of zinc, fifteen grams of nickel, five grams of embarrassment and ninety seven kilograms of spite.”
    Quote from Illinest
    You are completely missing the point. How many big Boros creatures do you think there are going to be in Gatecrash? Every time they spoil a creature like this my chance of getting a true bomb gets smaller.

And maybe I'm a little bit Timmy at heart but I don't want to win with a horde of 2 and 3 drops. What I want more than anything is a 5 mana creature in R/W that wins games. Give me a R/W version of Baneslayer Angel please. I will pair her with Thundermaw and laugh maniacally.

If I get that then I'll be back here to apologize. Then you can play Foundry Champion to your hearts' content and I'll play my bomb Angel and we'll all be happy.

Red-white, at its mechanical heart, is about playing synergistic small creatures. If your dream goal is a midrange bomb in that color combination, you will probably be waiting a while. Jor Kadeen was probably the closest thing you'll get.
    EDH: U Ultimus U ۰ B Geth B ۰ G Kamahl G ۰ W/U manaIsperia W/U mana ۰ B/R manaOliviaB/R mana ۰ R/W manaJor KadeenR/W mana ۰ W/B mana U/B manaSydriW/B mana U/B mana ۰ W/G mana B/G manaGhaveW/G mana B/G mana
    Standard: W/R Aggro
    Quote from V Mancini
    It's a card that is overcosted, underpowered, and requires other cards in order to do anything. If you have no creatures out, and the only creature you can put on the battlefield is Foundry Champion, guess what you just did? Gut Shot someone at sorcery speed for 6 mana. Congratulations.

At least I'll get another bad rare for my Reject Rare draft box.

$1 rare box it will go.
    Quote from izzetmage

Oh man, I had been strongly suspecting we'd get a Nekrataal variant guy this set since there isn't a currently played one in Standard. If this is it I will be really disappointed due to both it not being good enough and not being an Orzhov card. Frown
    Here's my question for this card art: Why do you have a sword when you can breath fire? Reminded me of tonfa-kick
    Quote from Serpos of Urug
    Red-white, at its mechanical heart, is about playing synergistic small creatures. If your dream goal is a midrange bomb in that color combination, you will probably be waiting a while. Jor Kadeen was probably the closest thing you'll get.

I would be satisfied with Baneslayer and Thundermaw in the same Standard. I was REALLY hoping for a RW Angel that does more than Firemane though. Jor Kadeen was okay. Ajani, Vengeant was more than okay.

I probably should've chosen another avenue to express my displeasure but it just kind of grew. At first it was just annoyance at another piece of Limited fodder.
    Oh.... This guy needs token makers XD
    Quote from KolbaneX
    If it was "crap" you wouldn't be playing it in limited either.

There are many cards that are crap in constructed but good at limited. Case in point - those big vanilla fatties.
    Quote from izzetmage

Gee if I were playing W/R what would I be using for a synergestic strategy with the Battalion mechanics?

Aggresively Costed Creatures. What are you daft? That is the most absurd thing to ever use with this card that obviously doesn't give a rat's gluetous maximus about mere creatures that swarm your opponent and relatively quick to cast.

What this card obviously does care about is the instants and sorceries in your graveyard. That is totally legitimate reasoning for why they printed this creature.

I mean its not like R/W has ever been known for being all about aggro-swarm strategy EVER.
    Quote from Illinest

I think Aurelia is the best you're going to get. And it's not like Baneslayer comes out every set.

Also WotC, where are all the token generators?
    Club Flamingo Entries: +50
    Club Flamingo Wins: 1!
    Just want to point out that the whole 'synergy-swarm' thing is something that was invented in the years when I wasn't playing. When I stopped playing Magic R/W was a control color combo. When I came back it was Boros.

I don't mind the swarm thing. I'm glad to see that there's some kind of a plan - even a plan that doesn't appeal to me much. I expect that Battalion will be cool enough - but I expect that the bulk of Battalion will occur in the 1,2,3 and maybe 4-drop design space.

I think there ought to be room for a bomb at 5. They've shown a willingness to print stuff like Gisela which is clearly outside of the swarming synergy motif. It's frustrating because every now and then they print something like Gisela or Ajani which recalls the old control theme but they never give you quite enough to work with.
    Quote from Serpos of Urug

I think this is also the heart of the Boros flavor too, isn't it? Legion? Battalions? Fighting with lots of little dudes?

Sure they mention they have some elite warriors who sometimes own the show, but I find it confusing anyone would expect premiere, constructed-worthy midrange creatures to appear in this set, in Boros.
    Gather the townfolk and Increasing Devotion might work with this card though. Except those 2 aren't exactly great cards either.
    Quote from izzetmage

Gather the townfolk and Increasing Devotion might work with this card though. Except those 2 aren't exactly great cards either.

That and people need to remember, when it comes to constructed, supreme verdict/ terminus is probably going to be dropping turn 4/5. So the number of creatures you have out will probably be limited.

This aint your girlfriends meta! This is a man's meta! TURBO META.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes