Shocklands Italian mockups

The Sacred Foundry and Godless Shrine are fantastic. The Breeding Pool seems to lack a focal point in the art, however.
    Gotta admit that these really look better than the ones in RTR. Some of these actually look even better than the originals from the first Ravnica-block. Art of RTR shocks (not counting Hallowed Fountain, maybe) were quite a disappointment and I prefer the originals over them anytime.. Maybe I'm just quite Vorthos-y with shocks anyway.
    Decks I run atm:

EDH:
    :symr::symg::symw:Rith, the Awakener:symw::symg::symr: 90% foil'd. My precious.
    :symu::symb::symr:Gwendlyn di Corci:symr::symb::symu:
    :symu::symr:Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind:symr::symu:
    :symr::symw:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:symw::symr:
    :symg::symw::symu:Treva the Renewer:symu::symw::symg:
    :symb::symg::symw:Ghave, Guru of Spores:symw::symg::symb:
    :symr::symg:Borborygmos Enraged:symg::symr:
    :symr:Kiki-Jiki, Mirror-Breaker:symr:
    :symu:Rayne, Academy Chancellor:symu:
    I love all of them except Stomping Grounds. The dead body on Watery Grave is a very nice touch, I think.
    Yeah, the new Stomping Grounds just looks... wrong I guess. Doesn't convey mountain very well.

Godless Shrine though... Whew... way better than the original in my book. Can't wait to get boatloads of that sucker.
    Amazing Breeding Pool art. The foundry is really cool as well, give me some!
    Level 1 Judge.
    So happy my two favorite color combos got arguably the best "new" art out of all the reprint Duals: Godless Shrine and Watery Grave. Nice mock-ups will looks even better in hand, but sadly have to wait 3 months. Frown
    "Battlecruiser Operational"

Disclaimer:I discuss cards based on my own experiences with MTG. Sometimes I am wrong, other times I am right. I always try to give legitimate reasons to my dislike of cards. Please do so yourself.

Current Standard Deck:
    BWB BW Control/Midrange

Modern Deck:
    BBBMono-Black 8-Rack

Current EDH Decks:
    BWGTeneb's Harvest
    BGRProssh's Dragons
    UBGDamia's Control
    I love the RAV shockland art more than these newer versions, but if I had to choose a new piece of art out of the bunch to like, it would have to be for Watery Grave. Sacred Foundry is alright. I like the giant anvil.
    Quote from HoodedPumpkin
    Will look freaking amazing in foil

I've been saying that ever since that art for Godless Shrine and Watery Grave was first spoiled Wink

I'm obsessed with that Shrine art- it's my new iPad BG.
    I *will* have it in Foil at the pre-re, even if I have to trade a Kiora Atua for it Grin

Quote from luminum can
    I love all of them except Stomping Grounds. The dead body on Watery Grave is a very nice touch, I think.

Dammit, I was just about to change my avatar to the one you're using-
    Guess I'll have to be quicker on the draw...
    Last edited by Empathogen: 10/3/2012 10:12:44 PM

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    Way better than crappy art from RtR shocklands.
    Quote from Wraithawk
    I'd say the black shocklands have even more consistant flavour: a grave, a tomb, a crypt and a shrine are all tied thematically.

Not to mention blue? Watery, Pool, Steam, Fountain. They had to go religious with white, considering Orzhov is a church, and black was already taking up the "grave" theme.

My art blog

Claims:
    Innistrad will have at least a Tribal subtheme - proven right October 2011 : 4 rights

The kicker variant in WWK will be "Kicker without a kicked effect." - proven wrong Jan 2010 : 2 wrongs

Decks:
    :symu::symb: Bloodchief Ascension - Modern

:symb::symr: Rakdos, the Defiler - EDH
    :symu::symb::symw: Sharuum the Hegemon - EDH
    :symw::symu::symb: Zur the Enchanter - EDH
    I love these five over the original five. Rob Alexander is good, but there's something about the old shocks art that just doesn't, quite reach me I guess. Every one of these is bloody fantastic though. RTR shocks were kind of hit and miss with me too.
    Man, Breeding Pool and Watery Grave look sick.
    Quote from Juju
    I wonder why some of them say TAPato at the end and some of them say TAPata. Any Italians here to enlighten us?

Look at the names of each one. The masculine names have TAPato and the feminine names have TAPata.
    Quote from FallSilently

Overall the old art has been nicer, except maybe that Orzov one. Figures only Alexander could outdo Alexander.

Actually, whoever made these got the artists wrong.

The new Watery Grave is Raymond Swanland,
    the new Breeding Pool is Mike Bierek,
    and the new Godless Shrine is Cliff Childs.
    I'm not sure about the other two.

(source: Official Guild Art Packs on the WotC site)

EDIT: Stomping Ground is David Palumbo, Sacred Foundry is Sam Burley
    Last edited by Empathogen: 10/4/2012 12:49:26 AM

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    Quote from Juju
    I wonder why some of them say TAPato at the end and some of them say TAPata. Any Italians here to enlighten us?

TAPpato and TAPpata are the same, the first is male and the second i female Wink

Italian translation of "Guildgate" is "Cancello" and it's male, so we say TAPpato:

Last edited by braviale: 10/5/2012 4:08:28 AM
    Quote from HoodedPumpkin
    Will look freaking amazing in foil

Foil shocklands...halalalalala OMG
    I know this isn't the first mockup but I really like these. The art is of course under the guidance of WotC themselves. Sacred Foundry the anvil is undoubtedly a necessity. I wish Wizards put out the descriptions of the art for both RAV and RTR. It would be interesting to see the initial design and follow it along. Many times we see art scaled back for clarity (the explanation of Liliana of the Veil's final submission was really interesting).
    I think all of these except Stomping Ground are upgrades over the original arts from RAV. However, I thought RTR's shocks didn't compare. The RTR shocks aren't good enough (Temple Garden, hello). This mockup with the symbol get me closer to the final printed image. I like what I see, although I know there are constraints on the art vision.
    That which nourishes me, destroys me
    Former Legacy Mod :: Cube
    Quote from Samyueru

I mean, hell, we're all on a forum for something that most people would describe as a "children's card game"...do what makes you happy. You are never too old to enjoy yourself.
    Love these arts, all better than the original unlike RtR's where only Hallowed Fountain and arguably Steam Vents are more striking than the originals.
    Yes sir, I take fantasy art and character design commissions, PM me for rates.
    I don't like shockland arts in RTR or GTC. They're too busy. Between the guild symbols, random animals and doodads, and HDR in the art... way too busy.
    I prefer old watery grave...new godless shrine is amazing.
    "I think EDH would be more fun for the majority of participants if players just showed eachother their decks rather than actually playing games out."
    Breeding Pool and Stomping Ground look pretty weak, I don't know, I like the old ones better.
    YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT.
    Quote from empathogen
    I've been saying that ever since that art for Godless Shrine and Watery Grave was first spoiled Wink

I'm obsessed with that Shrine art- it's my new iPad BG.
    I *will* have it in Foil at the pre-re, even if I have to trade a Kiora Atua for it Grin <...>
    So you can be certain that there's enough people at pre-re to not just pull this dual, but get it in foil? Lucky. At our RTR pre-re exactly one shockland was opened (Blood Crypt) - lucky hubby who opened Grizelbrand at AVR being lucky again.

But I'll be damned if I don't want Godless Shrine and Watery Grave in foil. Yeah, would easily trade a walker... but foil Shocks cost more than walkers anyway.
    And Breeding Pool.
    And Sacred Foundry.
    And Stomping Grounds.
    Oh well.
    Quote from Juju

Pretty sure it's a masculine/feminine rule with foreign languages. If you notice a at the end of the card names there's an 'a' which is "feminine". Usually feminine verbs end with 'a' while words that end in e/o are masculine and they end in 'o'.

The subject of the sentence is the name of the land, hence the tapata/tapato. Subject = invoke the feminine or masculine rule.
    MTG Rules Advisor

JAMMIT DIM! I'm a DOCTOR not a DECKBUILDER!
    Sacred Foundry looks amazing. Dat symmetry.

Godless shrine also looks amazing

Watery Grave looks great

Stomping grounds is good, I'm still confused what the heck a "stomping grounds" is

I'm disappointed by the Breeding Pool. It looks kinda cartoony, and that fish is just meh.
    Who cares if its good in EDH or Limited? 95% of cards are.

Drinking game idea: when someone blindly agrees on blogatog no matter how erroneous or short-sighted maro's reply is
    Quote from TwinSais

I'm disappointed by the Breeding Pool. It looks kinda cartoony, and that fish is just meh.

It definitely talks like Curly from the Three Stooges.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes