Buy-a-Box Promo: Nightveil Specter

Clearly Dimir, wb wouldn't have any specters that use the night and darkness to attack their enemies.
    I know Wizards has been trying to move away from Hexproof + Evasion lately, so I'm not sure we'll be getting a cheap, flying hexproof creature. I could be wrong, though. I'm not sure when they implemented the changes.
    I'm an unabashed Spike who plays Modern exclusively. I can often be found complaining about how much of every set is dedicated to Limited.
    Dimir Cutpurse with evasion would make me faint with ecstasy.
    "I think EDH would be more fun for the majority of participants if players just showed eachother their decks rather than actually playing games out."
    I'm trying to figure out what determines when the moderators care about custom card creation in this forum.
    EDH: U Ultimus U ۰ B Geth B ۰ G Kamahl G ۰ W/U manaIsperia W/U mana ۰ B/R manaOliviaB/R mana ۰ R/W manaJor KadeenR/W mana ۰ W/B mana U/B manaSydriW/B mana U/B mana ۰ W/G mana B/G manaGhaveW/G mana B/G mana
    Standard: W/R Aggro
    Serpos, it's a bit of a subjective call for each mod, but for me, just a card is CCC. If you're explaining an idea, and show it in card form, you're good to go. The other mods would have to comment on their thinking.

For example, this post is fine (note I shortened it just for my own typing sake)
    I'd like to see a specter that encompasses UB's qualities, like discard and mill
    Dimir Specter UB
    Flying
    When this deals combat damage, target player discards a card, then mills a card.

However, this would not be
    My guess:
    Dimir Specter UB
    Flying
    When this deals combat damage, target player discards a card, then mills a card.

Also, if you guys ever have future questions, feel free to PM any of us mods or approach us on our help desks for even faster responses!

She wants a ride on the pony, dude.
    Mafia Stats
    Kill shot: BB
    Issue with my shooting? Please visit my helpdesk and help me learn to aim!
    Quote from Ogrefoot
    Dimir Cutpurse with evasion would make me faint with ecstasy.

This is what i would like to see. A fixed playeble cutpurse that can compete in this powercreep.
    Nightveil Specter UBB
    Creature - Specter Shade
    Flying
    Whenever Nightveil Specter deals combat damage to a player you may draw a card. If you do reveal it, each oppenent discards cards equal to that cards converted mana cost.
    2/2

Supreme Verdict was a 4 drop Uncounterable Wrath, Silverblade Paladin was a Twin Doublestriker, so over powered is meant for a buy a box
    MY DECKS!
    EDH Decks:
    The Ur-Dragon's Tyranny
    Karador, Ghost of the Golgari
    Niv-Mizzet, Izzet Mastermind
    Thromok's Barbecue, Come Get Some!

Sedris's Hand of the Dead
    Wort, the Queen of Boggarts
    Rafiq, King of Jerkish Nature
    Varolz, For the Lolz
    Standard Decks
    Aetherlings, Hydras, Krakens Oh My!
    Modern Decks
    Bant Twinning
    Affinity for Green
    Quote from Griselbrand
    Nightveil Specter UBB
    Creature - Specter Shade
    Flying
    Whenever Nightveil Specter deals combat damage to a player you may draw a card. If you do reveal it, each oppenent discards cards equal to that cards converted mana cost.
    2/2

Ouch.
    I suppose drawing you would translate into 'Each opponent discards his/her hand'?
    Quote from Griselbrand
    Nightveil Specter UBB
    Creature - Specter Shade
    Flying
    2/2

Supreme Verdict was a 4 drop Uncounterable Wrath, Silverblade Paladin was a Twin Doublestriker, so over powered is meant for a buy a box

This wouldn't work as you worded it. Player's can't be forced to preform actions that require hidden knowledge. This is the same problem Wizards had with trying to make Miracle triggers mandatory, how will you know your opponent discarded all the cards of that manacost that they have in hand?
    Dimir
    Well depends could be safe by drawing a land. Look how much gravecrawler affects Magic now? You just got to go with it dude
    MY DECKS!
    EDH Decks:
    The Ur-Dragon's Tyranny
    Karador, Ghost of the Golgari
    Niv-Mizzet, Izzet Mastermind
    Thromok's Barbecue, Come Get Some!

Sedris's Hand of the Dead
    Wort, the Queen of Boggarts
    Rafiq, King of Jerkish Nature
    Varolz, For the Lolz
    Standard Decks
    Aetherlings, Hydras, Krakens Oh My!
    Modern Decks
    Bant Twinning
    Affinity for Green
    Maybe a better wording would be: "When ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may reveal the top card of your library. If you do, each opponent discards cards equal to the CMC of the revealed card, then put that card into your hand"?
    Quote from AtheistGod
    This wouldn't work as you worded it. Player's can't be forced to preform actions that require hidden knowledge. This is the same problem Wizards had with trying to make Miracle triggers mandatory, how will you know your opponent discarded all the cards of that manacost that they have in hand?

I don't think he meant they have to to discard all cards that share their CMC with the revealed card, I think they have to discard cards equal to the revealed card's CMC. I.E. if you revealed a Desecration Demon, your opponents would have to discard four cards. It seems a little too powerful to me, but then again we've had some rather powerful Buy-a-Box promos of late, so who knows?
    I'm an unabashed Spike who plays Modern exclusively. I can often be found complaining about how much of every set is dedicated to Limited.
    Specters are typically hand discard themed, eh? That fits Orzhov a lot more than Dimir (mill)
    Quote from The Big Dunks

It turns out that the melting ice caps aren't the cause of the rising ocean levels, it's OP's river of tears.

I support the closure of the Gutter.
    Don't you guys think it'll have dimir or orshovs ability? So we wont know what it actually does
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not." - John Lennon
    Quote from Ratinyourwalls
    Specters are typically hand discard themed, eh? That fits Orzhov a lot more than Dimir (mill)

Consult the Necrosages, Dimir Cutpurse, Dimir Guildmage, Perplex, and Wit's End would like a word with you.

"I am confident that if anyone actually
    penetrates our facades, even the most
    perceptive would still be fundamentally
    unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."

— Szadek Dimir
    Quote from Serpos of Urug
    I'm trying to figure out what determines when the moderators care about custom card creation in this forum.

Pretty much CCC is fine by me as long as your post consists of more than just the card. An explanation as to why you think the card would have those effects at that CMC. As long as your post is meaningful you can create a hundred cards for all I care.
    Quote from splashing black
    Unfortunately every try hard from Sacramento to Shanghai preaches from the top of their 27 lands + Mana Reflection that Tooth and Nail and Time Stretch are fine to play in the same turn but Armageddon is unfair.
    Quote from Boros_Archangel
    Pretty much CCC is fine by me as long as your post consists of more than just the card. An explanation as to why you think the card would have those effects at that CMC. As long as your post is meaningful you can create a hundred cards for all I care.

Isn't that "speculation" or "baseless speculation", not a rumor? I read Rumor Mill for specific reasons, and people trying to justify their aggressively costed hexproof evasive card advantage machines as "keeping up with power creep" isn't one of them.
    EDH: U Ultimus U ۰ B Geth B ۰ G Kamahl G ۰ W/U manaIsperia W/U mana ۰ B/R manaOliviaB/R mana ۰ R/W manaJor KadeenR/W mana ۰ W/B mana U/B manaSydriW/B mana U/B mana ۰ W/G mana B/G manaGhaveW/G mana B/G mana
    Standard: W/R Aggro
    Quote from Ratinyourwalls

Dimir are about information. So drawing cards makes just as much sense as making others discard. Keeping valuable information away from others to preserve your own secret seems very dimir.

I still hope for a stricktly better dimir cutpurse
    Dimir Cutpurse sounds cool, but let's be realistic! Why is a specter helping you out? What is it getting? "Cutpurse" is clearly indicative of stealing something, Nightveil Specter is not.

"Nightveil" = black/Dimir, unblockable/evasion, small chance of shroud
    "Specter" = discard with combat damage

shroud might be okay as long as its body is fragile, it has flying (not unblockable) and the discard isn't random. what's funny is that "shroud" and "veil" are synonyms, if you're going to take it literally.
    Check out some good music!
    This is talk about the Dimir Mechanic being the same effect that Crossguild Courier has.

Something along the line of...
    *Dimir Keyword* (When this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may instead discard that many cards from the top of that player's deck).

Sure, the wording I put there is alittle clunky....but this seems like it could be a very dangerous ability if the Dimir cards allow for heavy Mill theme and support to make it more viable than just dealing damage like normal...because its pretty obvious right now that dealing 20 damage is easier than milling 53 cards.
    Returning Magic: The Gathering Player
    1998-1999 X 2001-2003 X 2008 X 2012-Present

Standard Decks
    Saint Traft Control UWR
    Perfect Mill UB

Modern Decks
    Eternal Command RUG
    Second Breakfast UW
    Quote from ArchAvalon
    This is talk about the Dimir Mechanic being the same effect that Crossguild Courier has.

Something along the line of...
    *Dimir Keyword* (When this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may instead discard that many cards from the top of that player's deck).

Sure, the wording I put there is alittle clunky....but this seems like it could be a very dangerous ability if the Dimir cards allow for heavy Mill theme and support to make it more viable than just dealing damage like normal...because its pretty obvious right now that dealing 20 damage is easier than milling 53 cards.

I dont think the Dimirs main ability is to mill your opponants. In limited people very often choose a tri-color deck to play with in Rtr and because gatecrash is going to be no diffrend in structure i expect people to do te same there.

House dimir will be able to work perfectly with both simic and orchov. They may not have any real synergy but atleast they wont have abilities that conflict with one another.
    So i say no to a dmg replacement effect for now.
    Box toppers have a tendency to showcase something, as the last one was multicolour I'm thinking this will interact with gates in some way (unblock able if OP has gate?) and be mono black.
    Quote from jonnybgood23
    Dimir Cutpurse sounds cool, but let's be realistic! Why is a specter helping you out? What is it getting? "Cutpurse" is clearly indicative of stealing something, Nightveil Specter is not.

First of all the specter can just work for someone (in this case the dimir) and so may get stuff for the dimir. Second: Going on the word cutpurse is meaningless as it's not the card we are discussing.
    The dimir needs information and specter are great at making people lose their minds. The dimir can simply instruct (or teach) the specter to take what was lost back. The less the enemy knows and the more they know the better.

Not everyting word in a cards name means there will be an ability that embraces that.
    Night: it works at night or is just very mystirious.
    Veil: it shrouds itself wether that may be by night or some sort of cloaking device.
    Specter: it's a specter, a flying grimreaper looking kind of creature that flies on a huge winged horrific creature scaring people so bad they lose fragments of their minds.

Specter stealing your thoughts seems totaly reasonable as long as they work for house dimir.
    Maybe the promo has a spector type of ability with discarding. Either way it should be a decent card. Sounds epic to me . Maybe a four drop 2/2 intimidate, deals combat damage opponent discards a card or something along the likes of that. Not too overpowered, but pretty powerful nontheless.
    Quote from The_Exiler_v2.0
    Maybe the promo has a spector type of ability with discarding. Either way it should be a decent card. Sounds epic to me . Maybe a four drop 2/2 intimidate, deals combat damage opponent discards a card or something along the likes of that. Not too overpowered, but pretty powerful nontheless.

Spectors often fly, so it would probably have flying as well.

Thanks to Rivenor for the awesome sig!

Wants Bloodbraid Elf banned in modern
    :DWish granted as of January 27, 2013!:D
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes