Buy-a-Box Promo: Nightveil Specter

Quote from Rocklobster
    ...I then remember that we have a veil in M13 Veilborn Ghoul. ...

It's called "Veilborn" because Liliana (and her Veil) raised him from the dead :p
    Quote from Barinellos
    There are known knowns and known unknowns, but there are also unknown unknowns. Things we don't know that we don't know.
    Based on the name I'd say it's reasonable to assume it is a creature which does some form of discard (like all specters).
    Most likely 4 mana if it is repetative (liliana's one was a one-time discard, most other specters are 4 mana).

The name also suggests that it might be hexproof, which would fit well, because then it would be a Dimir card and a discard hexproof guy definitely has a Dimir vibe.
    Also, there hasn't been a hexproof specter before, so it's a very easy fit (not too complex either).

So something like:
    2BU
    Flying, Hexproof
    Whenever ~this~ deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card.
    2/3
    I'd wager a spectre (opponent discards card) with evasion (nightveil sounds like it will be unblockable) plus an additional ability
    Quote from Unskilled Ninja
    Black is not good at Flying. It's in the middle of the pack, really (and that's discounting the "Dragon bonus" in Red).

specters, demons, spirits, horrors, vampires, etc. Black historically has a leg up on White in terms of flyers, though the recent block has given us a plethora of angels and spirit flyers. White was very much relegated to the "angel bonus" until the original ravnica, actually. Now white has archons, spirits, pegasii, flying cats, too many angels, and birds.
    it must be orzhov
    NIGHT - Black
    VEIL - Black

SPECTER - Black

All signs point to black.
    Quote from Fumar
    NIGHT - Black
    VEIL - Black

SPECTER - Black

Night - White Nightguard Patrol Midnight Haunting or WGR Winter's Night

Veil - RGU Moonveil Dragon Master of the Veil Autumn's Veil

Specter - RWGU Avian Changeling Changeling Berserker Changeling Hero Changeling Titan Mistform Ultimus

couldn't resist sorry Wink
    It's Either Dimir or mono black. I see nothing in this name that has anything to do with the orchov other then that specters are black and orchov is partly black.

A discardarting flyer with shroud or hexproof or something. And let it be 2 mana. Long live powercreep!
    Quote from Razorgore
    specters, demons, spirits, horrors, vampires, etc. Black historically has a leg up on White in terms of flyers, though the recent block has given us a plethora of angels and spirit flyers. White was very much relegated to the "angel bonus" until the original ravnica, actually. Now white has archons, spirits, pegasii, flying cats, too many angels, and birds.

White has always had birds as a very primary flying tribe. Black only had Vampires and even then a lot of those do not fly.

Its name reminds me of Vela the Night-Clad, another Dimir card. Being a specter it will fly, and with a discard clause, specters are made for attacking. That means an unblockability clause will make the flying obsolete, which is kind of bad design.

I would rather think this specter has some kind of removal protection, maybe akin to the Dimir mechanic. That is why I think it will be partially blue, as mono-black specters do not really have a lot of design space left to make interesting promo's.
    Quote from Verox Kinaltor
    Found out why Mogis has sided with Xenagos guys!

He was in the band playing at the party
    :D:D:D:D
    Quote from Fumar
    NIGHT - Black
    VEIL - Black

SPECTER - Black

Autumn's Veil. This guy is gonna be mono-green flyer that can't be countered!
    It doesn't sound epic enough to be some beastly specter, but if it's a buy-a-box promo, it ought to be halfway decent. It could be a specter ala Drainpipe Vermin and have a conditional activated discard ability. Something like:

When ~ deals combat damage to an opponent or a planeswalker an opponent controls, you may pay B. If you do, that play discards a card at random.

Since it will be a rare, I'm guessing it will have an aggressive cost (CMC 2, either BB or 1B) and some sort of evasion, be it flying, unblockable, or intimidate.

I wouldn't expect it to be a multicolored card for the reasons already mentioned, but I could be wrong since the Buy-a-Box promo for RtR was Supreme Verdict. It might be a nice way to introduce Dimir in GTC...if that's the case, UB mana cost with my specs above would make for a pretty nice card!

All of that, of course, is baseless speculation.
    XXWUBRGXX

I know nothing about Magic and I am terrible at it. Don't trust anything I say, because it's all hearsay. -Said no one on mtgsalvation ever
    Are you guys even seriouis! This is a promo for Gatecrash. A set based around guilds with two colors. Do you really think it is going to be mono colored? lol

I really can't picutre that happpening.

Cyriss07
    this is definitely Dimir aligned. don't know why people would think a Specter (which is about cards) fits into Orzhov (which is about life and grave).
    "Nightveil" says one of 2 things to me: hexproof (as a previous poster suggested) or, my own guess, unblockable. which on a specter would be awesome.
    thanks to High~Light Studios for the sig and EVERGREEN Studios for the avvie
    Link
    Quote from kman1474
    i don't see anything wrong with the monkey other than the fact that the other monkeys are looking at his crotch.
    my dimir guess is they have some sort of unblockable ability, or some sort of ninjutsu variant

this dood will have unblockable pump
    I personally think it will be dimir. Is the name confirmed?

Done by Rivenor!!! Thanks

Quote from Takon
    my dimir guess is they have some sort of unblockable ability, or some sort of ninjutsu variant

this dood will have unblockable pump
    Shade is the creature type that always gets a sort of pump, not Specter.
    "Nightveil" sounds kinda sneaky to me which is the reason I'd say it's Dimir. Probably multicolored because of the set theme, but I wouldn't strictly exclude mono-black.
    My takes are these two versions:

1UB
    (Flying)
    ~ is unblockable.
    Whenever ~ deals combat damage to an opponent, that player discards a card.
    2/2

1UB
    Flying, hexproof
    Whenever ~ deals combat damage to an opponent, that player discards a card.
    2/2
    The dragon is a perfect marriage of power and the will to use it.
    I don't care which guild it belongs to. I just hope it makes Shrieking Affliction.dec a thing. Smile
    Standard
    RGPolukranosRG

Commander (EDH)
    WBRKaalia of the VastWBR
    WRGMayael the AnimaWRG
    It will be dimir.

Night (B)
    Veil (U)
    "What I need to live has been given to me by the earth. Why I need to live has been given to me by you.”
    -Unknown
    I'm gonna be stoked if it is a hexproof flying discard guy. It's just a powerful ability.
    Baneslayer Angel- Pro Demons and Dragons

Malfegor- Demon Dragon: only creature in the history of magic that is both of Baneslayer's protections. Can kill Baneslayer.

Win
    Quote from Razorgore
    No it wasn't. White has always had way more fliers than black. If you look at all the sets before Ravnica - the line you drew - White has over 60% more flying creatures than black. White has always been one of the two best colors at flying, with black a distant, distant third.

"Veil" certainly suggests something hidden or concealed, aka, House Dimir.
    Quote from cyriss07
    Are you guys even seriouis! This is a promo for Gatecrash. A set based around guilds with two colors. Do you really think it is going to be mono colored? lol

I really can't picutre that happpening.

Cyriss07

*cof* deadbridge goliath *cof cof*
    It sounds like an agent of the Dimir to me. Blue would add looking at the opponent's hand (something black has anyway, but it is in both colours flavour), shroud. hexproof and unblockable. Every Specter ever printed has had flying, I don't expect that to change, so I would count unblockable out.

At the power level we've seen in recent years these seem likely:

Nightveil Spector 1BU
    Creature - Spector
    Flying
    When ~ deals damage to an opponent, that player reveals his/her hand, choose a card revealed this way, that player discards the card.
    2/3

Nightveil Spector 2BU
    Creature - Spector
    Flying, Shroud
    When ~ deals damage to an opponent, that player reveals his/her hand, choose a card revealed this way, that player discards the card.
    2/3

The problem with the power level of specters we've seen in recent years is that it is just too low. 4 mana specters are unplayable and anything more powerful than a Hypnotic Specter has been costed at 4 mana (except maybe Sedraxis Specter, but that was 3 colour). The thing is Hypie is not that powerful itself. It has a reputation from the early days of Magic, but that was due to Dark Ritual, not Hypie itself and also creatures are much stronger now, while specters have been left in the dark. We need something at a level higher than Hypie that costs 3 or less. I would like to see something like these:

Nightveil Spector 1BU
    Creature - Spector
    Flying, Shroud
    2/2

Nightveil Spector BU
    Creature - Spector
    Flying
    When ~ deals damage to an opponent, that player reveals his/her hand, choose a nonland card revealed this way, that player discards the card.
    1/1

I don't think either would be format breaking, but would see play. The first wouldn't get to atteack until T4 so it can't do a lot of harm and targeting lands wouldn't be a problem, the second is fragile and can't remove lands.
    Last edited by The Dork Knight: 10/11/2012 10:15:11 AM
    The best standard decks at a price you can afford
    Best deck for X Dollars
    This actually could be pretty cool as a dimir card in messing with the mechanic my buds and I came up with.

Reconaissance: When ~ deals damage (lets say the shade) to a player, you may look at the top X cards of their library and put them back in the same order.

But with a specter, it could be that you could have them trash one. A bit of a variation to the "spectre" ability that fits a keyword maybe?
    I don't like the new MtgSalvation look.
    But I like Vorthos things.
    And Timmy cards.
    I only play Limited. Please respect that my opinions often regard this format.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes